Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Desert Warrior

The Wizarding World

by ShadeDancer 3 reviews

Chapters 7 & 8

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Crossover - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [!!] [?] - Published: 2005-11-06 - Updated: 2005-11-07 - 4404 words

5Exciting
Disclaimer: If I owned Harry Potter do you think there ever would have been a chance of Harry and Ginny?


This story is set back in the timeline of The Mummy Returns so here's a basic rundown of the Harry Potter timeline in relation.
1922: Harry Potter is born to Lily and James Potter.
1923: Harry is a year old and his parents are murdered by Voldemort.
1927: Harry is five and goes to Egypt with his relatives.
1933: Harry turns eleven and starts Hogwarts.



"William" Evy cried out happily, rising from the table they sat at in a little café in London.

Kedar and Ardeth sat with her, dressed in clothing more appropriate to England than their own desert attire. Only the occasional bodily shift made it apparent that the two men were uncomfortable in their new outfits and the lack of weapons they wore. The clothes they wore did not allow for as much freedom of movement as they were used to and would never stand up under the harsh desert conditions. Neither Kedar and Ardeth understood why they had to wear such clothing, one look at them would tell anyone that they were foreign to England.

"Hello Evelyn" William inclined his head with a cheerful smile as he sat down "are you going to make the introductions?"

"William," Evy was playing the part of hostess perfectly "I would like to introduce to you Ardeth Bey and his son Kedar. Ardeth, Kedar, this is William Weasley. William does translation work and studies ancient curses for the museum in his spare time."

"Call me Bill" the redhead insisted "only Evelyn and the museum directors call me William anymore."

Ardeth and Kedar shook hands with Bill and listened as he and Evy exchanged some polite talk while they waited for their tea to arrive. Only after the tea arrived, hastily deposited by their waitress who couldn't stop staring at Ardeth and Kedar, did the talk turn more personal.

"If you don't mind me asking" Bill began "may I know a bit about your tattoos? I'm not familiar with their meaning."

"They are our tribal marks" Ardeth simply said, not seeing the need to explain farther.

Seeing Bill's slightly crestfallen look Evy elaborated slightly "they are of a desert tribe in Egypt that prefer to keep to themselves."

"Then what brings you here" Bill was curious now.

It was Kedar's turn to speak up "Evy thought you might be able to help us with this."

As he spoke, Kedar had slipped his letter from the bag at his feet and slid it across the table to Bill. As the letter became visible Kedar watched as Bill's eyes widened in recognition before closing off. He did know what it was about.

"So you know what this is about" Kedar spoke softly as Bill reached for the letter "can you help us?"

Bill picked up the letter, his eyes fixated upon the writing scripted in green ink across the front "this is Harry Potter's letter."

Kedar frowned "that was once my name. What does it mean to you?"

Ardeth looked on more closely now, hand straying to either the pistol or knife Kedar knew his father had upon him despite all Evy's protests that weapons would not be needed.

Bill looked shocked "you don't know? You don't know that you're famous in our world?"

Seeing Kedar's negative reply Bill sighed and closed his eyes "perhaps we should go somewhere less open to talk."

Everyone agreed and they left the café, walking down the streets of London in near silence. Evy, Kedar, and Ardeth were all wonder what knowledge Bill held of Kedar while Bill was trying to figure out how to say what needed to be said. At last the quartet arrived at a little park that was nearly deserted, most of the children having headed home for the day already.

Seeing the expectant faces turned towards him, Bill began his tale:

"From your letter Kedar, Harry, you know that you are a wizard. Some witches and wizards do live among the non-magical people, muggles we call them, but for those who don't we have our own separate world that exists amongst what you see around you. We have schools and shopping areas; we even have our own government, the Ministry of Magic. Years ago a wizard arose who did not like the fact that we were allowing muggleborns, witches and wizards born into non-magical families, to become a part of our world and attend our schools. He gained a following and a bloody war ensued; our world facing dark times in which you were afraid to trust anyone, sometimes even your own family. Then on Halloween nearly ten years ago this Dark Lord attacked the home of two of his greatest enemies and killed them. He then turned to their year old son and uttered the words to the Killing curse, a curse that is unstoppable, but the child didn't die. Instead the curse rebounded upon the Dark Lord and killed him, leaving the child with only a scar; the child, you Harry, became known as the Boy-Who-Lived. You're famous in our world; you are the only person to have ever survived the Killing curse."

As Bill had been speaking Kedar had fallen into a trance like state, the memory of distant screams filling his head and a sickly green light flashing across his vision. In the beginning, before he had been able to control his Sight, such visions had come often to him. Almost absently Kedar reached up and brushed a finger along the scar upon his forehead; he had nearly forgotten that it was ever there as he didn't often look in a mirror and the scar had basically faded to nothing, what with his desert tanned skin.

"What was his name" Kedar asked, brushing the memories away as he would sand after a sandstorm.

Bill grew nervous "we don't like to say the name, we call him You-Know-Who."

Great Kedar thought, You-Know-Who and the Boy-Who-Lived, couldn't they be more original "can you write it then. I would like to know it."

Bill sighed, cast about him for a moment, and then uttered "Voldemort" quickly.

"Voldemort" Kedar repeated, ignoring Bill's flinch "what kind of name is that?"

But Bill had no more to tell on the subject of Voldemort and suggested that Kedar read some books on what had happened or talk to the Headmaster of Hogwarts for more information. That turned the talk to Hogwarts and Bill promised to meet with them at a restaurant the next morning to take Kedar for his school things. At the last moment Evy had enough sense to elicit a promise for silence from Bill before the wizard disappeared into thin air with a resounding crack. Kedar, Ardeth, and Evy exchanged glances before leaving the park to head back to the O'Connell residence, being able to disappear like that sure would come in handy considering some of the messes they somehow wound up in.

~~ ~~ ~*~

"Welcome to Diagon Alley" Bill was saying as he tapped the appropriate brick to allow them through from the Leaky Cauldron "we'll be able to get everything you need here."

It was unlike anything Kedar had ever seen. Not even the greatest of Egypt's marketplace could compare to this. The things sold in these shops-most Kedar had never seen their like before, and he had seen many things in his travels of the desert. Another thing Kedar had never seen before was the money these people were using. It was nothing like the bartering system or gold that passed from hand-to-hand in the desert, nor the complicated system of English money Evy had explained to him a few days ago. Thankfully Bill had warned them ahead of time that the money was different and that there was a bank where they could exchange money and jewels for wizarding coins. They arrived at Gringotts, the wizarding bank, and Bill ushered them towards an available Goblin at the currency exchange desk.

"Yes" the Goblin appeared to be purposely trying to intimidate them, but Kedar and Ardeth had faced worse in the form of Imhotep and his servants.

"We would like to exchange these for Galleons" Kedar place a few jeweled scarabs upon the counter carefully, his tongue slipping a bit on the unfamiliar word.

The Goblin's eyes widened as he tentatively touched on of the jeweled scarabs "the scarabs are still inside? They aren't just the outer shells?"

"The scarabs are still inside" Ardeth spoke up, causing the Goblin to jerk back quickly "and they will not be getting out, not even the touch of the sacred sands of Egypt will release them from their bonds anymore."

By the time Kedar and Ardeth were done speaking with the Goblins, they had walked away with more wizarding money than they had ever expected to. The Goblins had also expressed their pleasure in doing further business with the Medjai and to see if they would perhaps be willing to work with some of the Gringotts cursebreakers in Egypt. Ardeth had been noncommittal in his reply; they would have to learn more about the wizarding world and speak with the other Commanders before making any decisions. After leaving Gringotts, Bill led them through Diagon Alley to pick up the supplies Kedar would need to take with him to Hogwarts. The hardest part of the shopping had been getting the robes and a few sets of British style clothing for Kedar; to the young Medjai the clothes were too restricting and he would rather wear his desert clothing. Kedar had also been miffed at the amulet Bill had ordered crafted by the Goblins to hide his Medjai marks, but he also understood the value of keeping silent on the fact he was a Medjai; very few knew of the existence of the Medjai people and they hoped to keep it that way.

Their last stop of the day was for Kedar's wand as Kedar adamantly refused to have any familiar other than Ra. The moment Kedar stepped into the shop, he could smell the various woods used in the wand crafting, could feel the power radiating from the wands and knew that one of the wands in this shop would belong to him. This would also be the first test of the strength of the concealing amulet, to see if it could hold up against revealing wards and the senses of the wandmaker, Mr. Ollivander. Ollivander stepped from the shadows after the three had stood around waiting for a moment, causing Bill to shift slightly in surprise. Kedar and Ardeth held themselves in check though and did not show that they had been startled in any way; in the desert you survived by not allowing yourself to be surprised.

"Harry Potter" the old man's voice was dry "I was wondering when I would be seeing you. You have your mother's eyes. And that is where-I'm sorry to say I sold the wand that did it. Had I known what it was going into the world to do-but there is no hoping the past."

Kedar had held still as the old man had reached out as if to touch the scar upon his forehead, but now felt compelled to reply "one cannot know what results an action will bring. Fate works mysteriously. There is no point in second guessing the past in hopes of changing the present or even the future."

"You speak with more wisdom than others your age" Ollivander commented as he idly pulled out a tape measure "let us measure you for your wand. No two Ollivander wands are the same, just as no two trees or creatures that donate the cores are the same. You will never get as good results with another's wand as you would your own. Let's try this one, Maple and unicorn hair."

The annoying tape measure finally fell to the floor and Kedar accepted the wand from the old man and waved it as Ollivander had indicated. Nothing. It was immediately snatched from his fingers and replaced by another. Wand after wand passed through Kedar's hands, but none were right though he did seem to get more favorable results from the one wand he had tried with a phoenix feather core. Kedar was beginning to wonder if there really was a wand here for him and if he could find a wandmaker in Cairo, he might have more luck with one there.

"I wonder" Ollivander mused suddenly, digging around for a very dust box "why not try something a bit different, something from afar. I once got a wand from a traveling wandmaker in trade for some English oak and unicorn hairs. I gave up trying to find an owner for it here in England as the wand had no reaction to anyone, not even the slightest of sparks, and I surmised that it would not suit anyone of our culture. But you are unusual, Mr. Potter, and just perhaps-give it a wave."

The moment Harry's hand closed about the wand he felt the warmth of the desert fill the room around them, hot and harsh in its acceptance. It was a familiar comfort.

"Congratulations Mr. Potter" Ollivander wrapped the wand up "11 ½ inches, phoenix feather core, made from the Persea tree."

The Persea tree. Harry allowed a ghost of a smile to cross his lips at that. It was a tree that was rare, yet native to the desert. One actually grew just inside the walls of the training compound where he and Ardeth often lived throughout the year. According to Egyptian legend the tree held great solar meaning and was protected by the great cat Heliopolis. The cat was also one of the forms of the Sun God Ra, and the core of his wand was that of a bird of fire. It was the perfect wand for a child of the desert.

After paying and thanking Mr. Ollivander, Harry and Ardeth allowed Bill to escort them out to muggle London where they hailed a taxi to take them back to the O'Connell's mansion; they would be staying there for the next two weeks until Kedar started at Hogwarts, it was foolish to journey back to Egypt for such a short time even though Kedar longed to feel the blistering sand beneath his feet. Evy was sure to be pacing excitedly about her home, dying to hear what they had seen as well as get a hold of Kedar's books. Kedar also realized he would be doing a lot of reading himself over the next few days, he was not going to go into this new world unprepared and unarmed with knowledge that might save his life.



"Take care of yourself" Ardeth had pulled Kedar into a firm hug as they stood upon platform 9 ¾ on September the first, causing Ra to squawk indignantly.

"I will father" Kedar promised solemnly, gratefully returning the hug "and I will send Ra with reports quite often."

"Horus should be up to flying again soon as well" Ardeth gently stroked the bird perched upon his shoulder, one wing wrapped in bandages.

A whistle blew, signaling the imminent departure of the Hogwarts Express and Ardeth gave Kedar a gentle shove towards the train "you best get on Kedar."

Kedar gave a nod, not trusting his voice all of a sudden and headed towards the compartment he had claimed a bit earlier. From the window he watched as Ardeth gave him a farewell salute and disappeared easily into the crowd as the train began to pull away.

"I guess it is just us now Ra" Kedar spoke softly to the bird, stroking the soft feathers "I would not admit this to anyone else, but I am nervous now that I am to actually attend Hogwarts. I am so far from the desert here, and the familiar touch of the Gods seems so far away."

With a soft sigh Kedar settled down into his seat and retrieved a book from his trunk, according to Bill it was quite a ways to the school and he hadn't yet finished reading all his books for classes. It wasn't but a little while later that the compartment door slid open and three boys trooped in.

"I'm Fred and this is George" one of the two identical boys introduced "do you mind if our little brother Ron sits here?"

Kedar looked them over, they were no threat, and nodded "it matters not to me. My name is Kedar."

"Thanks mate" the twins grinned in unison as they dumped their brothers trunk "see you ickle Ronniekins, we're off to see Lee's tarantula."

Ron merely grunted in response and turned to stare out the window as Kedar resumed his reading though it didn't take him long to realize that Ron had begun to stare intently at him. Kedar lowered his book slightly and raised an eyebrow at the redhead.

"Oh" Ron stuttered "do you want to play exploding snap or something."

Kedar frowned slightly "exploding snap? I've never heard of it."

Ron gaped for a moment "you're a muggleborn then? You're parents weren't magical?"

"I've been told that my birth parents were a witch and wizard" Kedar replied "but I never knew them as they died when I was young. I lived with some relatives for a few years until I was taken in by my adopted father."

After that the atmosphere in the compartment lightened considerably as Ron taught Kedar how to play exploding snap and talked passionately about Quidditch. In return, Kedar abandoned all hope of continuing his reading and proceeded to listen. Finally though, they arrived at Hogwarts with only two minor disruptions to the train ride and Kedar had gotten his first tastes of wizarding candy. The first interruption had been a bushy haired girl and trembling boy looking for a toad while the second had been a blond haired boy and his two goons looking to stir up trouble. The blond and his goons had left after trading a few insults with Ron as Kedar hadn't risen to their taunting; he had long ago learned that there was a time to go in with fists blazing and another to use words, or a lack of words in this case.

"Firs' years! Firs' years over here!" Kedar followed the summoning shouts to be faced with the biggest man he had ever seen, Ron mentioned his name was Hagrid.

"C'mon, follow me-any more firs' years? Mind yer step, now! Firs' years follow me!"

Slowly the confused throng of first years followed the bobbing lantern down a steep path, stumbling every few seconds while the older years made their way to the carriages. Even for those who were fleet footed the narrow path they were following downwards towards a darkly shimmering body of water was treacherous, but to Kedar it was much easier than slipping down a large dune of shifting sand.

"Yeh'll get yer firs' sight o' Hogwarts in a sec" Hagrid called over his shoulder as he continued to stride forward "jus' round this bend here."

Loud exclamations could be heard from the awed first years as they took in as much of the grand castle and grounds visible to them in the inky dark night. Across the expanse of black lake rose a sheer cliff that formed one face of what appeared to be a high mountain and atop that loomed a vast castle boasting many turrets and spired towers. Yet this imposing edifice boasted of a welcoming warmth with its glowing windows sparkling in the starry sky, almost as if the lights shining forth were trying to compete with the very stars that graced the heavens. To Kedar it was even more of a marvel than the desert wonders he had grown up knowing for most of his life, but then that might have had as much to do with the blatant power blazing from the building as well as the castle's sheer beauty. None of Bill's stories or the descriptions he had found in books could ever truly describe this place.

At Hagrid's yell of "no more'n four to a boat," Kedar climbed nimbly into the rocking crafts pulled up against the lake bank.

"Everyone in?" shouted Hagrid who took up a whole rowboat to himself "Right then - FORWARD!"

The fleet of little boats moved off with no visible means of what was propelling them forward as they glided silently across the glassy smooth lake, leaving behind no wake or ripple to even indicate the passage of the student laden boats. A silence had fallen over the group as they all stared up at the great castle overhead as it towered over them the nearer they drew to the cliff on which it stood.

"Heads down" Hagrid yelled as they neared the cliff; they all bent their heads and the little boats carried them through a curtain of ivy that waved slightly even in the absence of any breeze, giving them tantalizing peeks of the dark tunnel that lay beyond.

By now they were underneath the castle and some of those in the group of scared first years could swear they felt the tons of rock and heavy pressure of the castle bearing down upon them as the boats docked at an underground harbor. Idly glancing around as Hagrid made his way up the stone step path to a huge set of oaken doors, Kedar took in the reactions of everyone around him. Hagrid raised a gigantic fist and knocked three times on the castles doors that opened nearly immediately as if the tall, black-haired witch in emerald-green robes that stood there had been waiting impatiently for quite some time.

"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall" said Hagrid.

The older witch nodded sharply and herded them into a chamber where they were motioned to stay as she spoke of Hogwarts and its four houses. Kedar wasn't sure what house he would end up in as each of the desired traits of the founding houses seemed to fit him in one way or another. The professor left for a bit before coming back to lead them into the Great Hall, many of the students still trying to call their overly excited nerves after a horde of ghosts had come floating through the walls. Kedar didn't see what they had to worry about from the ghosts, he had once spoken to a spirit in one of the deserts hidden tombs the Medjai watched over and found there was more to worry about from the mummies than even the foulest tempered ghost.

Kedar caught a glimpse of the famed ceiling of Hogwarts. It was gorgeous and the enchanted ceiling of stars seemed to be slowly moving above them as if a wind was blowing though the heavens. For a moment he could almost imagine he was lying upon his back in the desert sands, staring at the jewel encrusted black sky above. Except that the floor beneath him was stone and the quiet of the desert was missing as student chattered all around the Hall. Kedar's attention came back to the hall around him as Professor McGonagall returned bearing a stool, a hat, and a roll of parchment. Surprisingly enough, the hat began to speak:

Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.
You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.
There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.
You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;
You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;
Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
If you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;
Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folk use any means
To achieve their ends.
So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!


Kedar couldn't help but raise an eyebrow at that. Whatever he had expected, it certainly hadn't been a talking hat that would sort them into their houses. This was something to make him slightly nervous, he hadn't thought the sorting would involve having something look into his head to see what was in his mind. There were things he knew, things that should be known by no one other than the Medjai-

"Potter, Kedar" McGonagall called.

Immediately the previously silent hall exploded into whispers.

"Potter, did she say Potter?"

"Kedar? I thought it was Harry?"

"Perhaps the boy-who-lived has a brother we haven't heard about?"

"No, it's him. Look at the scar! I can just barely see it!"

Those were just some of the whispers Kedar heard before the Sorting Hat fell upon his head, closing out all else happening around him.

"Hmm" a voice whispered softly into his ear "/very difficult you are. You are loyal, no doubt about that, but your only true loyalty is to your people. Brave, knowledgeable-you know of things that have long been forgotten by many worlds. And secrets, oh yes you have many. Cunning and fierce. You hide many things behind your seemingly forward nature. Now, where to put you? While I would wish to place you in all the houses, I think it would be best to place you where many expect you to go. It will help you in avoiding questioning about your past, the perfect cover for you. Ravenclaws are naturally curious about people, gossipy; Hufflepuffs are very open with each other, secrets are rare amongst them; Slytherin on the other hand make it their responsibility to know everything about each other to exert control over their peers; best be/-GRYFFINDOR!"

Calmly Kedar removed the hat from his head and calmly made his way to the wildly cheering Gryffindor table. Hopefully the Hat was right, and by placing him here he would escape any uncomfortable questions that might come up as to where he has been raised all these years.
Sign up to rate and review this story