Categories > Movies > Pitch Black

Childish Heroes

by Aerin 1 review

"She stayed hidden when she first saw him hanging there. There was no doubt in her mind as to who it was- there was no question that it was Richard B. Riddick, a name she had both loved and despise...

Category: Pitch Black - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst - Characters: Kyra, Riddick - Published: 2005-11-07 - Updated: 2005-11-08 - 1190 words - Complete

0Moving
Childish Heroes

She was still a kid when he left her... when she vowed that no one would get close enough to lave her again. When she realized it was time for her to grow up, and for her to forget childish heroes, dreams, and feelings.

You don't remember me, but I remember you
I lie awake and try so hard not to think of you


No one cared about her; everyone left. She knew that well enough by now. It was finally her turn to leave, so leave she did. She stowed aboard the first freighter she could find and left New Mecca for good, taking with her only the clothes on her back, and, for some reason, a spare pair of goggles she had found- a pair he had left behind, on accident or purpose, she did not know. What she did know was why she took them- to remind herself of her weakness. That no matter how hard she tried, she, Jack B. Badd, missed /him/, needed /him/. And she hated herself for it.

But who can decide what they dream?
And dream I do...


Everything reminded her of him/. She would see skiffs, men with profiles so similar to his own that she did a double-take, and look in the mirror and see the goggles resting around her neck, imagining /him wearing them. She got by for a couple of months sitting around feeling sorry for herself before deciding to finally get off her ass and do something about the pain, if it bothered her so much. The first thing she saw was a group of mercs... and the next thing was the inside of their ship, pearning the tricks of the trade, determined to become as good as he/was, if not better, and hunt /him down and show him.

I believe in you
I'll give up everything just to find you
I have to be with you
To live, to breathe
You're taking over me


And then she made the mistake of letting slip to the leader, a man named Toombs, why she had joined up with them, just who she was looking for. A spark of interest had lit in his eyes, and he had sucked the whole story out of her- at the time, she was glad to just get the story off her chest, even if it was two years after it had all happened, after he had shattered her faith and abandoned her. But she was different now- She had a new name, Kyra, and she felt stronger than she ever was. Boy, was she an idiot.

Have you forgotten all I know and all we had

The instant Toombs got the whole story, he had knocked her out, and when she had woken up it was in the hands of a man named Eric, a man who beat her mercilessly and had her kill anyone who got on his nerves. To her eternal shame, she got good at it. Seven weeks of hell later, Toombs returned, knocked her out again, and the same thing occurred for another four weeks. The cycle continued, until one day she got sloppy. The authorities finally picked her up, and dropped her into Crematoria without a second thought. If she thought the life she'd had before was bad, that place took the cake.

You saw me mourning my love for you and touched my hand
I knew you loved me then


Somehow, in the back of her mind, the thought always festered that he would come, that he would save her, like he always had before. But four more years passed, and the hope shrunk to a tiny pinprick in the darkness of her mind. She became a sort of wild card, respected among the convicts, one of the only ones able to stay out during feeding time and sta alive. And then, six years after he had left, it happened. The pinprick exploded, and he came. /He came/.

I believe in you
I'll give up everything just to find you
I have to be with you
To live, to breathe
You're taking over me


She stayed hidden when she first saw him hanging there. There was no doubt in her mind as to who it was- there was no question that it was Richard B. Riddick, a name she had both loved and despised for the last strecth of eternity. He twisted himself up in the cord that bound him, and with skill she had to admire let himself fall, breaking his chains. He was just as good as she remembered.

I look in the mirror and see your face
If I look deep enough
So many things inside that are just like you are taking over


And then the idiots had attacked him, and she had taken one of them out. He had stared at her, and she knew that he knew her, who she was. An idle thought in the back of her mind spoke up, wondering if he had been thinking on her as much as she had thought of him. She pushed it away, and slid again into the shadows.

I believe in you
I'll give up everything just to find you
I have to be with you
To live, to breathe
You're taking over me


They had spoken, gotten it all out in the open-for the most part. The pain, the betrayal; she told him Jack was dead, that she was weak- that it was only Kyra now. Told him about the mercs, being slaved out. He accused her of turning to the people he had been trying to protect her from, and very slightly nicer words she told him that the idea he was looking out for her by leaving was a bullshit excuse for his own insecurities- but that she should have known better than to trust in him. And with that, she had slipped away from him again.

I believe in you
I'll give up everything just to find you
I have to be with you
To live, to breathe
You're taking over me


What hurt the most was that after seeing him again, she knew now why him leaving had hurt so much. She was in love with him. She was freaking in love with Riddick, and there was nothing she could do about it. And there was no way he would ever care, would ever love her back. Because to him, she would perpetually be Jack B. Badd, tagalong and hero-worshipper extraordinaire. And nothing she could say or do would change that.

Taking over me
You're taking over me
Taking over me
Taking over me


She sighed. Feeding time again- time to go play taunt the kitties. And if she ran into Riddick and just happened to knee him in the groin, so be it. Maybe the satisfaction would dull her pain for a while. And maybe she could force herself to fall out of love with him.

She snorted and shook her head. /Yeah right/.

AN: Just saw CoR, and had to write this. Yeah. Set to "Taking Over Me" by Evanescence.

Aerin
Sign up to rate and review this story