Categories > Original > Fantasy > The Rain

Shooting Stars

by RenoTurk 0 reviews

Here it is, more philosophical but a little more background... R&R please ^^

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Sci-fi - Published: 2007-05-18 - Updated: 2007-05-18 - 1247 words - Complete

0Unrated
Was für ein seltener Vogel
fliegt allein zum ragenden Gipfel
des Ararat

Jetzt fängt es endlich an zu regnen
und hört überhaupt nicht mehr auf
Nach dem Regen sind nicht mehr alle dabei

Perpetuum Mobile


They walked on quietly together. Neither really had a beginning to the conversation. Shanemah wondered what to say about the affair. They lived outside of the human world but they could not escape its trappings and that lure to be part of it. It was simply what they strived to have... a world they could call theirs.

"Who is the woman that was with you?" He asked Tru who was sternly marching down the road.

"I actually have no idea." Tru said as he moved along. His body was aching and he was worried they might be followed. "What do they have over you to make you obedient like that?"

"Everything. I never realised that I could leave them." He answered honestly. "I've seen countless Grand Masters. Seen the rise and obscurity of the Freemasons and cults. None stick around and all have their glory and fall. It is a cycle of the world we exist in. What I know is that no matter the religion or the science there is some fight going on behind it."

"Then you must know that there is more to it all than blindly following. It's probably why I make the worst priest on Earth. Too many questions." He said rubbing the wound where the mystery lady had eased his troubles. He imagined her hand touching him and it felt warm still.

"We're going to die if we go in there without thinking." Shanemah said taking a couple of jogging steps to catch up with Tru. "I mean you've been hurt already."

"You're going to come with me this time." He said his lips just visibly moving from beneath the dirtied collar and hat. "Where is the Grand Master hiding?"

"Hellion you are not going to like it. You're flying back again." He said as the pace was stepped up again. "You planning to run back to London?"

"No but the sooner we get back the sooner we get the plane." He sighed. "Curse modern revolutions of travel. If it was all in one city it would be over now. Oh no." He put his hand to his forehead, fingers splayed as he rubbed at it. "I've left Thomas and Charlie and they are in London too. Damn it was this the plan?"

"I hate to confirm your fears sir but yes." Shanemah nodded. "They needed to give you a wild chase around. I would expect by now Fielding is recovered enough in resources to make her next move. You contacted Thomas and she will most likely be aware of who he is."

"Damn it!" His voice rolled over the night sky and because there was no one around and Shanemah listened passively waiting. He could hardly apologise as it would be hollow. He waited as Tru's hands bunched in to fists before he finally let the wave subside and turned to Shanemah. "You pull one more trick on me and I send you where the last guy went, to hell with my soul and yours you understand?"

"Perfectly." His strange companion nodded. "So you're a priest, you've got a child that isn't yours and some women you haven't even taken the name of fixing your torso up? Well I think I'd rather be in your position than mine."

"Why is that?" He asked as they wandered along.

"Well for one thing you actually get to interact with the outside world." He explained. "I have only been sent to visit their agents or to visit people like you. The ones that left the Vatican are always added to the list."

"Look just exactly who are they?" Tru said growing impatient again.

"The truth?" Shanemah jogged the couple of steps again, "is I don't really know. I know the Grand Master is a name we call him now because it was the Freemason's title and it seems appropriate. They try to hide the explanations for the strange things in life. You know think Men in Black, Roswell or how Cults just slip away unnoticed after huge reports and events in the media. Did the Golden Dawn really die out after Crowley died? How did they make the Nazca lines for aerial view when there were no planes?"

"Yes I understand that but..."

"But nothing Hellion or Tru," he interrupted, "the church WANT miracles but they can be scary things. They can cause panic or hope. Then of course the anger. Why would God save that woman's child over mine?"

"Yes I suppose so." He nodded. "But it is not for us to understand. I mean I can always consider such things but deep down I suppose part of my anger was fear too. I was going to loose the right to Heaven because I killed. I killed the night of Charlie's mother's death. I killed tonight." He sighed. "Some think I am the child of a saint and others the spawn of something evil. Something dark and if that is true have I always been damned?"

"And if you are then so are we all." He said as a car passed them. "Tru there's no answer to any definitive question but some of the partial answers just create more problems so surely mystery is best. I mean do you wonder how you became what you are?"

"Sometimes yes." He nodded and watched the car slow down ahead of them. "But other days I simply wonder why."

"Another poignant question." Shanemah said, "so back to London?"

"Yes." He nodded as the car reversed.

"Do you guys need a ride?" Shouted the American man as his wife smiled back at them.

"Thanks!" Tru ran towards them. "We pranged our car. I need to get to the city."

"Jump in." And they did wondering what pranged meant.

Back in Prague they sat down in an all night café. The club opposite had patrons coming and going. Tru had changed and they had hired a car. Shanemah had offered to stay with him. If Fielding sent more agents and they learnt he had already assisted him it would be better to fight together.

They didn't really talk much. Shanemah swiftly came to realise that Tru was a man who liked his own company. He was the kind of person that didn't much like the sound of his voice. Tru would have admitted it too if you asked him. He felt it sounded too gravelling as he sounded angry all the time. Shanemah thought he sounded confident and soothing until he was angry.

The two men watched as another man arrived. He put the car keys in Tru's hand and then left. Tru smiled and looked at the car keys he'd left him. A simple Ford car that could travel easily. The local Minister had done a good job. Easier to travel with a generic car. He gripped the keys and nodded to Shanemah. They were about to head off back to England.

"Sleep?" Shanemah asked. "Don't you need to sleep?"

"Okay a few hours at the hotel then we go. I can't leave Charlie for too long. I want to be sure she is safe." He nodded.

"We'll make sure she's safe." He assured him. "But we need to be awake to make sure we do it right."
Sign up to rate and review this story