Categories > Books > Cirque du Freak > Don't Say It

2

by Bex 3 reviews

Chapter 2

Category: Cirque du Freak - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Erotica, Romance - Characters: Darren Shan, Other - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2007-06-09 - Updated: 2007-06-09 - 1168 words

0Unrated
Next chapter:

Kurda passed by the Hall of Kheldon Lurt during the night many of the vampires were supposed to arrive after a meeting (more like an argument) between himself and the three Princes currently residing in the mountain over Vamapaneze and strategic movement in the future. He looked out on crowds of faces through long rows of tables, all blending into one unless something seperated you from the others particularly.


The first person he spotted was Arra, beause really how much more different could you get? But she wasn't even close to who he was looking for. He studied all the faces of the people she was talking with and recognized none of them.

She was sure to be sad if he still wasn't here.

Kurda had never known someone who could so easily let someone go and wait for something near eighty years for an apology, without ever breathing a word of their own.

He'd never known someone so stubborn, so relentless and proud. Kurda certianly counted hismelf lucky that she didn't love him enough-- or at all-- for that to happen to him.

The next person he spotted was the....the boy, with brown hair, all other vampires towering over him. next to him sat a stitched up grey monster in a blue tunic.

Kurda gasped, and held the wall for support. Gavner Purl and Larten Crepsley sat on the other side of the table, chatting happily with one another.

He waved his arms erratically until Arra finally paid him some attention, horribly embarassed that he was trying to communicate something to her in front of PEOPLE because she was upposed to hate Kurda.

Eventaully she left her seat to grab him by the arm, walking straight past everything Kurda had tried to point out to her, leading him outside of the Hall and closing the door.

'What?' she stormed.

'...You! You missed them!' he was speechless both because she was being so mean to her and because he couldn't understand how she'd ben so blind.

'I KNOW that they're there!' she cried, silencing as someone walked past them. 'I'm not totally stupid, Kurda! Or blind...'

'Well...' he was leaning back against the wall and she was suddenly taller than him, it seemed. 'What are you waiting for, then?'

She sighed, annoyed. 'Him.'

--

Kurda took an instant liking to the boy-- well, he was trying to follow Gavner around, but when he met the boy he did take a shine to him-- and started to wonder how on Earth Larten had found a child so pleasant and hardworking to blood.

Finally, when Darren was finally distracted, Kurda puleld Larten aside.

He still hated Kurda as much as ever, but the way the younger man practically threw him back so that he could speak to him properly really did mean that he'd grown up a little.

'Speak to Arra,' Kurda ordered after a moment in an assertive hiss.

'What?'

'You heard!' Kurda impatiently replied.

'Is she at council?'

'Of course. Don't pretend you didn't see her.'

'She is not a General.'

'....How long have you been away for? She's got your old position before your last promotion, Larten.'

Larten folded his arms sulkily. 'Stay out of things, in future.' he told the blonde prince to be before skulking off to catch up with his assistant and old mentor.

--

A cough from the doorway was enough to make her angry again.

'Kurda, for the love of God, I thought I made it clear we aren't speaking about--'

'I told Kurda he would be better off staying out of things, in future.'

She jumped about five feet in the air at that. Having expected some stupid stuttering reply from Kurda in a pitch higher than her own it was a shock to hear such a deep voice from the door. She twisted to face the door quickly, sure of the identity but wanting very much to prove it to herself.

'...Hello' she said awkwardly after a few seconds silence.

'Hello.'

Her eyes darted. She'd never wanted to jump up and hug someone ridiculously as much as she did right then.

'What do you want?' she forced out.

'...Just wanted to see you.' he mumbled, setting his cloak down uncomfortably.

She was quickly suspicious, eyes narrowing. She took a step back towards her desk before she stopped and understood.

'Kurda put you up to this.' she concluded after a few seconds of looking at him. Dammit, whenever something was wrong she ALWAYS knew it.

'Well...Not exactly.'

She stormed away down one corridor out of her cell, leaving him there until he dashed after her.

'Sorry,' he said, meaning it differently than she thought.

'I'm not angry at you,' she said, stopping to walk with him. 'Not at YOU. I mean, how were you supposed to know I'm not the total mess Kurda no doubt told you I am?'

'He did not r--'

'--So you see really you're not to blame for Kurda's little obsession with controlling my life because he can't control his own. And really, it isn't anything to do with you either. Have a nice day while Kurda dies.' she said in the end, leaving again.

'I'm sorry for leaving,' he corrected himself, still chasing after her. She stopped and turned around, not smiling.

'..So you should be.' she said after a small pause. He should have said it so long ago that it almost didn't mean anything to her anymore.

...Almost.

'I am back for a reason.' he said.

'Yes. Your assistant.'

'...Well, yes. But, you know. I wanted to see you too.'

'Don't lie to me. I know when you're doing it.'

Larten sighed. 'OK. That wasn't my original idea. But now that I am here, I am thinking about it.'

'That's not very good, Larten.'

He took hold of her hand to stop her walking away. 'Come on,' he pleaded. 'What is this going to take? I miss you.'

She was still beautiful, still stopped him in his tracks when he saw her. 'God, please don't start begging. It's horrible.'

'Begging? I have not started yet,' he laughed. Even she had started smiling, even through her 'kill Kurda' phase.

'What do you want?' she laughed, pulling her hand back only for him to capture it again.

He argued inwardly with himself for a second or two, over whether he should just take his opportunity or not...eventually he held the back of her neck and placed his lips on hers, coaxing her mouth open slightly to deepen it.

As he pulled back she moaned both at the kiss and the sudden loss of contact.

'I love you,' he said deeply. She grinned.

'I know.'

x
Sign up to rate and review this story