Categories > Games > Final Fantasy X-2 > A Sword is a Sword

Brotherhood

by Eternatis 0 reviews

A sword is a sword is a sword, except when it's more. [Spoilers for Paine's past]

Category: Final Fantasy X-2 - Rating: G - Genres: Angst, Drama - Characters: Paine, Rikku, Yuna - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2007-06-16 - Updated: 2007-06-16 - 379 words

0Unrated
"Let me try!"

Yuna held out both hands, Rikku only one. Paine looked from one to the other with an eyebrow raised, and tossed the dressphere to Yuna.

A few minutes of fiddling - and Brother offering to help, which prompted Rikku to hit him - Yuna had the sphere ready. Her eyes closed in concentration, and she stretched up with her gun in her hands as a white glow surrounded her -

"Um, Shinra?" Rikku called.

"It's supposed to happen, don't worry."

The glow faded, and Yuna saluted them with her sword - then nearly dropped it.

Paine frowned - the fumbling was something she'd have expected normally, but the dresspheres usually had a positive effect on skills. Or gave them, whichever was more appropriate. But this fumbling wasn't the sort that came from not knowing how to hold a weapon - she'd seen plenty of that with the Crimson Squad, watching Baralai getting used to handling a gun. More the sort that came when you'd just had the shock of your life.

Yuna's held the sword up, the light shining through it in blue splashes and bubbles across her face, tracing her fingers down the blade and across the spike that doubled back down it. She looked as though she was keeping her expression blank on purpose.

"Oh no," Rikku said in a very small voice.

Once again, Paine found herself out of the loop - this was one of those summoner-guardian things that she couldn't be part of. Not that she wanted to be part of them, not really, but at least then she'd understand what it was about the sword Yuna was holding that could upset her.

Finally, Yuna lowered the blade and smiled at them - a small smile that was about as genuine as any of Nooj's promises not to do anything that might put him in danger. A summoner's smile. She changed back to her gunner outfit, but her hand lingered over the sphere when she offered it to Paine as though she wasn't sure she wanted to do that.

"Something the matter?" Paine asked finally.

Yuna looked up at her, smile brightening slightly and still completely false. "Nope! Nothing at all."

Paine didn't believe a word of it, but didn't argue.
Sign up to rate and review this story