Categories > Games > Final Fantasy X-2 > A Sword is a Sword

Samurai

by Eternatis 0 reviews

Paine had meant to take the dressphere off her, but stealing from a thief was more difficult than it sounded.

Category: Final Fantasy X-2 - Rating: G - Genres: Angst, Drama - Characters: Paine, Rikku - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2007-06-16 - Updated: 2007-06-16 - 477 words

0Unrated
There were things Paine didn't understand about Yuna and Rikku, and most of them were things she didn't want to understand. (Although what was wrong with her that they were apparently immune to her threatening to lay down some serious hurt and stuck around anyway might've been nice to know.)

It didn't bother her - well, they bothered her, on purpose most of the time, trying to get her to "open up" - until it had the potential to actually get them hurt.

Like Rikku with that new dressphere. The sword was as big as she was, even if you included all that hair, and Rikku couldn't even lift it. When she fought, she had to drag the blade along the ground to attack. And - most importantly - Rikku was someone whose fighting strategy usually involved not being where the enemy thought she was, getting the hell out of the way before they hit her. She couldn't do that with the sword, and their potion stash was suffering for it.

Paine had meant to mention it. Well, she'd meant to steal Rikku's Garment Grid and take the dressphere off her, but stealing from a thief wasn't easy. The last time she'd tried it, she'd thought Rikku was asleep - but when she got upstairs, Rikku was just curled up in bed, arms around her knees and her hands lost in the billowing red sleeves of the coat. Her eyes were on the sword propped against the wall.

The way she looked at it - and despite its size, it was a good blade. Cumbersome, heavy even by her standards, but sharp and useful - was the way Yuna looked at the bubble sword that came when she used the Warrior sphere. It was the look that she recognised from her reflection in the windows of shops that sold Sphere Recorders after... After Operation Mi'hen, when she would stand outside the shops in Luca and look at them. They weren't right, they weren't the link to her past that they could be - that she wasn't even sure she wanted them to be, but... They were close. Close enough that when she went inside and touched them she could taste the sand, could hear the guys yelling and smell the gunpowder.

Maybe it was like that for Rikku and Yuna - although she wasn't sure what those two could be associating with swords.

And maybe it was understanding rather than frustration with failed attempts than made her stop trying to take the Samurai dressphere from Rikku.

And maybe - just maybe - Paine rolled over so her back was to the others - one night when Yuna was asleep and Rikku wasn't, because her eyes were glittering in the lights from the bar - and said "I thought the Al Bhed believed that memories were only memories?"
Sign up to rate and review this story