Categories > Books > Stephen King > The Secrets Within

Chapter Three: Friends

by Roma 0 reviews

None

Category: Stephen King - Rating: PG - Genres: Action/Adventure - Published: 2005-11-23 - Updated: 2005-11-24 - 910 words

0Unrated
Chapter Three: Friends

Orion awoke the next morning to the annoyance of his aggravating alarm. He slammed down on his 'Snooze' button and went back to sleep. A few minutes later, the shouting of his mother woke him up.
"ORION! WAKE UP! IT'S TIME FOR SCHOOL!" she yelled up the stairs and then went back to the kitchen to make breakfast.
He groaned as he slid out of his bed and went into the bathroom to freshen up. After brushing his teeth and getting a quick shower, he slipped on a t-shirt and jeans. He took his time walking downstairs to eat breakfast, wondering if today was a good day to fake sick. He decided to save that for a day he had a test that he forgot to study for.
Mumbling something about how school was just a waste of time and energy, he grabbed a piece of toast, his backpack, and walked outside to wait for his dad to drop him off. He had a driver's license, but didn't have a car to drive. One was his mother's, and the other was his father's. He wasn't allowed to drive any of them because his mother was too afraid he would crash. She was quite paranoid and overprotective.
After a few minutes of waiting outside in the pouring rain, his dad, wearing a jacket and jeans, rushed outside. He didn't really need to dress up for work since he had to change into a fireman suit once he got there.
"Okay, let's go," he said, unlocking his car and opening the door to the driver's seat. He got into the car and buckled up. He wasn't as overprotective as his wife, but was one of those dads that just let the mother deal with those kinds of situations.
Orion got into the car and they drove off towards his school. They approached a large brick building with a bunch of students hanging out in the front, gossiping about the latest make-ups and break-ups. It was quite annoying that they had nothing better to talk about. He stepped out of his father's car and walked inside the school, pretending as if the socializing students weren't even there.
The inside of the school looked like any public school. The hallways were bright from the lights on the ceiling and the sides were lined with rows of dark green lockers. People leaned on these while talking while the slamming of them rung about the halls.
Orion walked through the hallways until he got to the art classroom with only a few people inside. He nodded in greeting to them and sat down in his usual seat which was somewhere near the back. Like at every school, nobody liked sitting in the front few rows.
The other people in the room, five boys and two girls, nodded back, but then ignored him for the rest of the time, chatting away about the parties they went to last weekend. They, of course, were a part of the more popular crowd, unlike Orion.
A few more people entered the classroom since the bell was about to ring. Soon enough, almost all of the seats were filled with students. All of the seats except for one.
Just then, a loud laughing and joking came from the hallway. The boy who was causing it, a fairly handsome lad with dark brown hair and gray eyes, walked into the classroom after waving good-bye to his friends, who had just passed by the room. He was the most popular boy in school and almost everybody loved him.
Matt Regal, a smart, athletic, pretty-boy, as most enemies called him, walked into the class just before the bell rang. "Just in time. I guess I got lucky," he said with a cheesy grin that most of the girls went crazy for. He walked over to his seat next to Orion. "Hey Orion. How was your weekend?"
"Pretty good. And yours?" he replied dully. He never spoke unless he needed to - even with his friends. Matt was one of Orion's closest friends. The one reason he respected the lad so much was because of the respect he showed to everyone. His father was very rich. Maybe the richest person in Wakesville. Nobody knew how he got his fortune, though - not even his own son. In fact, Matt didn't really like his father all too much.
"Not bad. I went up to my uncle's house and rode his dirt bike for a while. It rocked because he got two more. I totally crushed my cousins in a race. I'm just too good," he said, obviously attempting to show off.
"Alright, kids, settle down!" said a teacher sitting behind his desk. He finally stood up. His name was Mr. Patterson and he was the one teacher everybody loved to hate. Every school had one. This one was just hated because he hated the one kid everybody loved: Matt. The only reason he hated Matt was because he hated show-offs in his classroom. If one person ever disrupted while he was talking, it was an automatic detention. No warnings or anything. One kid even got a detention on the first day of school for getting up to sharpen his pencil without asking. This man was stricter than beyond nightmares. "The bell rang so it's time for class to start. Now get out your homework from -"
He was interrupted by the door slowly beginning to open...
Sign up to rate and review this story