Categories > Cartoons > Delilah and Julius

I Don't Want To Miss A Thing

by panda_1418 3 reviews

Just a little something to celebrate all the grads and farewells going on out there.

Category: Delilah and Julius - Rating: G - Genres: Romance - Published: 2007-06-17 - Updated: 2007-06-17 - 1720 words - Complete

3Moving
This was it. The night he had been waiting for, for a long time. It was the Academy's annual dance to celebrate the end of the school year. Tonight was the night dreams came true and hearts were broken; couples were made and destroyed. Tonight was the night.

Julius Chevalier tugged nervously at his necktie, knowing that Nosey and Emmett would be at his room in minutes so they could arrive together. He kept looking at his reflection in the mirror, checking for flaws. Was his hair right, or did he look like a goof? Did his tie look lopsided? Did he really look that flushed? Oh God, he was nervous. No - nervous was an understatement. Terrified was more like it.

There was a rap at the door. Julius tore himself away from the mirror and walked to open it. Standing in the hallway were Nosey and Emmett - and did they look good. It made Julius even less sure of himself.

Nosey's normally curly, bouncy hair had been straightened and cut. He hardly looked like himself. It was almost embarrassing for Julius to admit to himself that he looked, as the girls would say, hot. He was wearing a light blue button-up shirt, and black dress pants. Thrown overtop of his shirt was a dark blue blazer.

Emmett's short hair was purposely combed to look messy. Covering his bulky figure was a tan shirt, dark brown blazer, and chestnut coloured pants. A creamy-coloured necktie was done carelessly around his thick neck.

"You look good, man," Nosey said to him. "Except that your face is a little red. Nervous?"

Julius nodded, sheepishly. "Who isn't?"

Emmett grinned at him.

-------------------------------------------------------------

The three stood outside the doors to the gym. They were late, that much they knew. The music - some upbeat song that girls would be grinding to (shudder) - was pumping loudly. Stupid Emmett. He claimed he was not nervous, and yet the second they could hear the base, he had a panic attack and had to rush to the nearest washroom. At least Julius wasn't as nervous anymore.

Nosey glanced over at him. "Ready?"

"As I'll ever be," he replied.

"Then let's go."

They pushed the doors open and walked in. Thankfully, they entered unnoticed. Only a few people glanced their way. Julius was hoping to hang out with Nosey and Emmett until he found a certain someone, but apparently they had other plans. A few mere seconds after they walked in the door, Julius found himself alone. Emmett had spotted Ursula and had gone off dancing with her; Nosey had been flagged down by a girl named Brianna.

He was alone when he spotted her.

She was standing off to the side, looking lost. A black dress was draped over her body, showing off a modest amount of cleavage. A snowflake-shaped broach was pinned to her dress, glinting in the light. Her hair was swept back into a ponytail and curled at the back. She had her hands behind her back, resting on the wall. Her eyes scanned the dance floor, searching, searching.

Her face fell when she did not find the person she was looking for. Disappointment and hurt were written all over her features. Julius took a deep breath and stepped towards her. She saw him before he reached her side.

"Hey," Delilah said, breaking into a wide smile.

"Hey," he replied. "Having a good time?"

She murmured something that sounded like, "Now that you're here," but he couldn't be sure.

And then the song switched. It changed from the upbeat, head-boppin' song to a slow one - I Don't Want to Miss a Thing by Aerosmith. Guys and girls partnered up, holding each other's hands and swaying on the dance floor.

I could stay awake just to hear you breathing
Watch you smile while you are sleeping
While you're far away and dreaming
I could spend my life in this sweet surrender
I could stay lost in this moment forever
Well, every moment spent with you
Is a moment I treasure


Julius caught Nosey looking at him from Brianna's arms. His eyes flickered to Delilah, and he hugged Brianna closer to him. Subtle. Taking a deep breath, Julius offered his arm to Delilah.

"May I have this dance?" he asked cockily, hoping the shaking in his voice was undetectable.

Delilah smiled slightly. "Sure," She took his arm and he lead her to the edge of the dancing couples.

The pair stood there awkwardly, watching the people around them. Intense love radiated from them. Finally, Julius stretched out his hands, placing them on Delilah's waist. The move seemed to surprise her: she let out a soft gasp and tensed up. However, moments later, she relaxed, and her arms were draped around his neck.

The song continued, and suddenly they became aware that somehow they had strayed to the middle of the dance floor. Around them, couples were hugged tightly together, some even kissing. Julius grinned as he saw that Emmett and Ursula were two of the bold ones.

He turned to point them out to Delilah the same instant her arms moved from over his shoulders to his back, pressing him tighter to her. Now it was his turn to stiffen.

I don't wanna close my eyes
I don't wanna fall asleep
'Cause I'd miss you, babe
And I don't wanna miss a thing
'Cause even when I dream of you
The sweetest dream would never do
I'd still miss you, babe
And I don't wanna miss a thing


His hands moved off her waist, fingers spreading as far apart as possible, as if that would somehow relieve the tension. Gingerly, his hands moved up the sides of her body, making sure there was space between them. His palms slowly settled, one on her upper back, and one behind her head.

He had waited years for this moment; why was he so nervous? Desperately, he tried to control his breathing. His breath came in quick gasps. Calm down. Calm down! He told himself. Just remember how to breathe.

Gradually, he began to relax. He had lived each day of his life for this moment, and here it was. He was living it. Hadn't Al always said to cherish the things he loved?

Lying close to you
Feeling your heart beating
And I'm wondering what you're dreaming
Wondering if it's me you're seeing
Then I kiss your eyes and thank God we're together
And I just wanna stay with you
In this moment forever, forever and ever


*

Delilah sighed, blissful. After years of waiting, catching and dropping hints, and hoping, she was here.

In his arms.

Oh God, she didn't want the moment to end. If only time could stop tonight. She let her head rest on his chest, savouring the beating of his heart. It reminded her that this was real. Everything before this night was a blur. It was impossible to focus, this close to him - and not just physically.

I don't wanna close my eyes
I don't wanna fall asleep
'Cause I'd miss you, babe
And I don't wanna miss a thing
'Cause even when I dream of you
The sweetest dream would never do
I'd still miss you, babe
And I don't wanna miss a thing


For the time she had known Julius Chevalier - most of her life - Delilah had never felt this emotionally close to him. It was almost as if they were one, sharing their thoughts and feelings. Ever time his fingers ran lightly over her back, she felt both their hearts pound harder.

He was a drug that had complete control over her. She couldn't get enough.

Abruptly, she became aware that he was casually steering them off the dance floor. Panic took over. Had she done too much? Had she read the signs wrong? Had this just destroyed their friendship? Her heart sped up, alarmed. What had she done?

I don't wanna miss one smile
I don't wanna miss one kiss
Well, I just wanna be with you
Right here with you, just like this
I just wanna hold you close
Feel your heart so close to mine


When they were out of the crowd of people, he took her hand and led her outside the gym doors. Her panic turned into dread. Now he would tell her that the feelings weren't mutual, and it would be better if they just stayed friends.

And just stay here in this moment
For all the rest of time


His next action surprised her. He took her face between his hands and leaned in. Before she could react, his lips were on hers. Her anxiety crumpled to dust in seconds. She kissed him back, her heart pounding in a jagged, disjointed rhythm. His hands traced her face. In the brief seconds his lips were free, he whispered her name.

Don't wanna close my eyes
Don't wanna fall asleep
'Cause I'd miss you, babe
And I don't wanna miss a thing
'Cause even when I dream of you
The sweetest dream would never do
'Cause I'd still miss you, babe
And I don't wanna miss a thing


Soon, too soon for her liking, he pulled away. But his hands never left her face. Their gaze met, and the expression she read in his elegant blue eyes melted her heart: Love. A love that could not be described could not be contained. He loved her. She belonged to him, and he would always be hers.

"Delilah," he whispered again. "I love you. I love you so much it hurts me."

I don't wanna close my eyes
I don't wanna fall asleep
'Cause I'd miss you, babe
And I don't wanna miss a thing
'Cause even when I dream of you
The sweetest dream would never do
I'd still miss you, babe
And I don't wanna miss a thing


She threw her arms around him, hugging herself to his body; he returned the embrace. "I love you, too. I just want to stay in this moment forever and ever."

They kissed again, more passionately, not wanting to waste a moment of the night. But come morning, the spell would not be broken.

Don't wanna close my eyes
I don't wanna fall asleep, yeah
I don't wanna miss a thing



The End
Sign up to rate and review this story