Categories > Original > Romance > Your Best Kept Secret & Biggest Mistake

You came in with the breeze on Sunday morning

by dizzyxdancer 1 review

You sure have changed since yesterday without even warning. I thought I knew you...

Category: Romance - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Romance - Warnings: [X] - Published: 2007-06-19 - Updated: 2009-03-05 - 888 words

0Unrated
Emma leaned her head back and closed her eyes tight as the sun blinded her. She heard Pete sit down next to her. She turned to look at him and smiled. He smiled back.

"Hey beautiful, what are you doing sitting on your roof?" he said.

She stuck her tongue out at him and said, "What are you doing on my roof?"

He poked her ribcage and said, "I asked you first." She pouted and rubbed her ribcage.

"I'm avoiding my mom," she said. At that exact moment, she heard her mother calling her name from down in the backyard.

"Emmaline Faye Wilkinson, get down here right now!" she heard her mother yelling. She hissed and squeezed her eyes shut.

"Ooh, full name burn," Pete said, lightly shoving Emma.

"Shut up. Some best friend you are..." she said, as she got up and climbed down to her window and back into her room. Pete followed her.

"Wait a second, she let you in?" Emma said, turning to look at Pete as he plopped down on her bed.

He shrugged and said, "Yeah, even your mom can't resist the Wentz charm."

Emma stuck her tongue out at him and said "Ha, yeah right." She heard her mother yelling for her again so she dashed out of the room and downstairs.

As she stood and listened to her mother lecture her about coming home so late, she let her mind wander. Here she was, twenty years old, still living at home, getting lectured by her mother for coming home late. She snapped back to reality when she heard her mother mention Pete.

"I wouldn't mind if you were out late with Peter, but it's just that David I don't trust," she said. Emma's mouth dropped open.

"So, you're telling me that as long as I'm with Pete, I can stay out as long as I want?" she asked, staring into her mother's blueish green eyes, the same eyes Emma had. Sophia, Emma's mother, rolled her eyes.

"No, I'm just saying, I'd feel better about your safety if you were..." Emma nodded and slowly wandered off. She also let her mind wander.

She was dating David Marks, a guy she had known for only a couple of months. They had met at school and they hit it off. Granted, she didn't feel sparks flying every time she saw him, she still enjoyed his company. Her best friend, Pete Wentz, she had known since she was 16. For some reason, she felt more with him than she ever had with David. She always shook the feeling away and attributed it to their wonderful friendship. Besides, Pete didn't like her that way. He always treated her like one of the guys. She slowly pulled herself up the stairs to her bedroom, passing all the pictures of her, her dad, Roger, her mom and her older brother, Jake, who had recently moved to California to marry the girl of his dreams, whom his family had only met once. She smiled as she got to the top of the stairs and looked at the last picture. It was her & Pete on her graduation day. She was on his back, getting a piggy back ride, her blue cap had fallen off and her blue gown was blowing in the breeze. They were both laughing like crazy. She laughed just looking at the picture, amazed that Jake had perfectly captured the happiness of the moment. Good thing he's a photographer...

She walked into her room and saw Pete laying on her bed, staring at the ceiling. She lay down next to him, which was kind of difficult because she had a twin size bed.

"Whatcha thinking about?" she questioned, lying on her side to look at him. He tossed a small pillow up into the air and caught it a couple of times before shoving it under his head and placing his hands on his chest.

"Why did you leave the show so early last night?" he asked, not looking at her. Pete was in a band, actually lead singer. Well, more like screamer, but who was keeping track? She had been at his concert last night with David.

"Oh, David was getting kinda ticked at how much you kept looking at me, so he decided he wanted to leave..." she said, absentmindely picking at a string on Pete's shirt. He twitched and moved so she let go of the string. She looked up at him.

"What's wrong?" she asked, trying to read his eyes. He sat up and stared at his shoes.

"Nothing, it's just that...no, nevermind. I better get going..." he said, standing up and heading for the door.

"No, Pete..what's wrong?" she pleaded, following him down the steps. She barely caught him at the door as he got into his car.

"PETE! What is your deal?" she yelled at him. He stopped as he opened his car door.

"You know what, Emma? You just don't ever get it do you?" he asked, before getting into his car and driving away.

She stood on her front steps, watching him drive away, puzzled as hell, trying to figure out what he meant.

"What don't I get?" she murmured, scratching her head. She thought she knew him so well, what was up with her best friend?
Sign up to rate and review this story