Categories > Original > Romance > Your Best Kept Secret & Biggest Mistake

So bury me in memory

by dizzyxdancer 1 review

His smile's your rope so wrap it tight around your throat

Category: Romance - Rating: R - Genres: Drama, Romance - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-06-21 - Updated: 2007-06-22 - 1139 words

0Unrated
Emma turned the corner onto her street, her legs aching. She hated that she never drove herself anywhere. She sighed as she thought back to what happened at David's house. She could barely stand his drinking, which had gotten worse and now she found out that he is self medicating. She shook her head, amazed that she had wanted to try and have a relationship with him. She looked down the street to Pete's house to see if he was still outside. She didn't see him, so she took her time walking to her house, not wanting to talk to him. She slowly walked towards her house, lost in thought when she heard a car pull up alongside her. She closed her eyes and stopped walking. She turned and opened her eyes. "Emma, please...I'm sorry..." David said, hanging out his window. "David, no. I'm done with I'm sorry. I should have never let it get this far..You do not deserve me..." she said, before walking off. "Leave me alone, and do not bother me. I will get a restraining order..." she called over her shoulder, continuing on to her house. She heard him turn around and drive off.

She quietly slipped inside her house and went upstairs, trying to avoid everyone because she didn't feel like talking to anyone. She closed her door and sat on the bed, peeling her coat off and gloves. She threw them on the floor and fell back on her bed. She laid on her side and hugged a pillow tightly to her and cried. She didn't know why she cried, but she cried. She felt better afterwards, it was a huge release to her. She sat up and hugged her knees to her chest. It was getting dark out and there were no lights on in her room. She stood up and walked to her window, looking down at the street. She giggled as she saw Pete trudged through the snow towards her house. She watched him get almost to her house before he turned around and walked back towards his house. Then he stopped and stood there for a few seconds before turning around and walking back towards her house, this time stopping in front of it and looking up. He glanced at her window, but didn't see her since it was dark. He turned and started back towards his house before turning and running to her house. She watched in amazement as he scurried around. She heard her doorbell ring and she laughed. She hurried down the stairs, trying to make it to the door before anyone else. She wasn't fast enough, her mother opened the door. "Well, hello, Peter," she said, opening the door so he could come in. He shivered a bit and mumbled "hello" back before stepping inside. Emma stood on the bottom step, staring at him. He lifted his head up and grinned at her. "Hey..." she said. He took his shoes and coat off and followed Emma upstairs to her bedroom. She plopped down on the bed and he sat down next to her. He rubbed his hands together, trying to warm them. Emma laughed and said, "How long were you walking back and forth down the street?" Pete snapped his head up and laughed at himself. "Too long..." he said, quietly. She took his hands in her hands and helped rubbed them. "So, I saw you walking home earlier..." he said, "Did you and David have a fight?" It was on the tip of her tongue to tell him that they had broken up then she realized that if she told him, she might lose what she had with him, so she lied. "Yeah..I got angry at him for drinking and left..." she said, looking down at her feet. "He didn't....hit you or anything?" Pete asked, cautiously. She shook her head. "No, I actually hit HIM..." Pete stared at her in shock. She nodded and smiled. "Yeah, I think it surprised him so much that he didn't know what to do..." Pete laughed as she turned the TV on and lay back to watch it. She flipped around until she found a good movie on, The Goonies. Pete lay next to her and she rested her head on his shoulder. They made it halfway through the movie in silence before Pete piped up and said, "So, you guys are still together?" Emma looked at him, trying to figure out what he meant. Then she realized what he meant and nodded and said, "Yeah, why?" His face went blank and he nodded. He turned back to the movie. "No reason, just wanted to make sure." She stared at him for a couple more moments before turning back to the TV, confused as hell. They watched the rest of the movie in silence.

As soon as it was over, Pete jumped up and quickly said, "I'm going to get something to eat.." and dashed out her door. She sat up and stared out her door, confused. She had no clue what was wrong with him. She thought he would be happy that she lied and said she was still with David, because then they could continue their little fling. But he didn't seem happy. Did he really like her? She was so confused, she didn't know what to think. She glanced at the clock. It was 11:11. She smirked. How ironic, she thought. She made a wish and kissed her hand and placed it on the clock. She got up and quietly tiptoed downstairs.

She found Pete in the kitchen, making a PB&J sandwich. She sat at the bar and watched him. "What's your deal?" she said, breaking the silence. Pete dropped the knife he was using and stared at her. "Jesus, you scared the shit out of me...What do you mean, what's my deal?" he said, before taking a bit of his sandwich. "Why are you acting so strange?" she said, staring at him. "Why am I acting so strange? Hmm, let me think about it Em. You fucking told me that you love me last night, then we have the best sex ever, then you tell me that you don't want to lose 'what we have'," he said, making quotes with his fingers, "and now you tell me that you're still with the guy who hits you and gets shitfaced drunk even though you've told him you hate it? Gee, I wonder why I'm acting strange.." He tossed his sandwich down and stormed out of the room. Emma sat, stunned. "I told him I loved him?" she muttered to herself.

She got up to follow him but heard the door slam and knew it was too late. She quite possibly could have ruined the one good thing in her life.
Sign up to rate and review this story