Categories > Anime/Manga > Inuyasha > Moonlight

Scroll seven: A Strategic Retreat

by kirayasha 0 reviews

A Sesshomaru story...

Category: Inuyasha - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Sesshoumaru, Other - Warnings: [R] - Published: 2005-11-26 - Updated: 2005-11-26 - 10189 words

0Unrated
Moonlight

Author's note's: Thank you, Ithilwen! You're truly one of the best betas around! And I'm very lucky to have you working with me on this! Thanks also to my new beta, Tir-chan! huggles It may have only been three chapters so far, but I'm enjoying working with you immensely! Thank you both for helping me find the gold hidden here; you both give excellent advice and it has been a pleasure working with you! Special thanks huggles also go out to Nanda, who gave this its final run through!


Scroll 7: A Strategic Retreat



Inutaisho watched his wife leave in a huff. He was amazed to find that Izayoi's arrival caused much less turmoil in his personal life and the lives of his family than this one simple act. Sesshomaru had gone and found himself a mate, something Inutaisho had always hoped he would do. He supposed if it had been any other woman of the court, he could have found a way to see to it they were married, if not with all the pomp and circumstances Sesshomaru's position demanded, then at least without scandal. Unfortunately, the girl resembled his mate and there was no way in all the depths of hell he was going to convince his wife to allow their union.

Now she will be nothing more than a beloved concubine and if he does find himself faced with the possibility of marriage... /Inutaisho sighed. /I pity his poor wife and whatever sons she'll give him. No, I pity whatever sons Tsukikage will give him, especially if he's forced to change his heir...Damn it! I should have given the girl to Takahara from the start. Then none of this would have happened...

"Come, Sessho-kun. Let's get you and the girl back to her room," Inutaisho said sadly as he watched his son search for his mate in a large wooden chest that sat in the corner of his study. He walked over to him and laid a hand on his shoulder. "Come on, let's go." He extended his hand to his son, who blinked at him before he realized what his father had said. Smiling dreamily, Sesshomaru took the proffered hand and Inutaisho heaved him to his feet, leading him into the outer room of the dog general's study. "Izayoi-chan, please see to it they make their way back to her room safely and that they don't get distracted."

"Hai...is there anything else I can do?" the human woman asked softly.

"Iie, wait! There is; I want you to remain in the girl's room and with her directing you, gather what she'll need for an extended stay at the lodge. Just ignore any attempts my son will make to get her alone. I need you to try and get her to focus on helping you pack. When I return, you will go and do the same for yourself," Inutaisho said and his mate nodded mutely in reply. "We're to leave before the dawn tomorrow, and I'll join you after I've made arrangements for our departure."

"Koishii...are you sure everything will be alright?"

Inutaisho closed his eyes and sighed. "Hai, as alright as they can be, given the circumstances. But don't fret about it, my dear. This is only one of the reasons why I'm leaving..." he said distractedly. "Besides, I have a plan that I hope will work and if it does it'll create only minor grief ...as for the future, well, even I don't know what that will bring," he teased and Izayoi was heartened to see some of his sadness lifting.

"Hai, none of us can know that, for that is domain of the gods, ne?"

"Hai." He kissed her nose and caught sight of Sesshomaru nuzzling his mate. "You'd better go now before they start something I have no intention of watching them finish." He smiled. "Oi, Sessho-kun! Pick up your mate and take her back to her room. Izayoi-hime will help you. She's going to stay there, Sessho-kun, as we are leaving before dawn tomorrow and the girl needs to pack some things. Now go." He dismissed them and watched them leave, before he returned to other urgent matter weighing on him. "Kobemaru-san," he barked at the guard stationed outside his study.

"Hai, my lord!"

"Get Takahara-sama for me."

"Hai!" The guard bowed and left to comply.

888

Sesshomaru went swiftly back to Tsuki's room and Ningen-hime was hard pressed to keep up with him. However, Tsuki was aware enough to get him to slow down enough for the human woman to follow. Once they were there, Sesshomaru was annoyed to find they had a chaperone. He sat there cuddling Tsuki in his lap while staring long and hard at his father's mate.

"Can't you tell her to leave?" the youkai prince whined. "I mean she's spread out your futon, so why is she still here?"

"Your father told her to gather my things, Maru-chan; I believe he said we'll be leaving to go to his lodge tomorrow before dawn..." Tsuki soothed.

"So? How long does it take to gather your things? Can't she move any faster than that? I want to be alone with you..." he complained. "It hurts, Tsuki..." Sesshomaru closed his eyes and buried his nose in her hair, so he could breathe in her scent.

"I know, but Ningen-hime was told to stay here, so I guess she won't leave until your father sends for her, or comes and gets her himself. So I'm afraid we'll have to wait a bit longer to be together, my love..." she whispered.

"Keh!" Sesshomaru barked. He narrowed his eyes and watched the human woman go about her task, silently willing her to finish quickly and leave.

888

"You wished to see me, my lord?"

"Hai. Enter, Takahara." Inutaisho rubbed his hands tiredly over his face. "Would you like some tea, or perhaps something stronger?"

Takahara laughed. "I'll have something stronger, if I may be so bold, my lord, as you look like you need it far more than I do."

Inutaisho laughed and shook his head. He took a small bottle of sake from his tansu and set it to warm up on the brazier. He went back to the tansu and took out two small cups and Takahara followed him over to the low table in the center of the room. He moved the scrolls on it out of the way for his friend and sat down opposite him. The two sat there quietly as a long silence stretched between them.

Finally, Takahara broke the silence. "I believe the sake's ready now. Sit, old friend, I'll get it."

Inutaisho watched him go and get the bottle. All the while, he sat there wondering how to bring up the subject of his son, the girl and his friend, when Takahara did it for him.

"So, is it as bad as it looks?" he asked as he poured sake into the two cups.

Inutaisho took a sip before replying. "Hai, he's gone and taken her as his mate..." he trailed off and took another sip. "They never told me the whole story as to why they felt the need to do that when they simply could have enjoyed the pleasure of each other's company," he said wryly. "In the end, I suppose I had some choices in this matter, and for some reason I failed to consider either one of them."

"Really? How's that?" Takahara sipped his sake and seeing that Inutaisho's cup was empty, he refilled it.

"Well, I could have given the girl to you when you had first asked and it would have been known she was yours and no one, especially Sesshomaru, would have touched her. Or I could have given her right away to my son as soon as I had realized that he wanted her. Kami knows Sesshomaru's dropped enough hints in the matter...if I only I had chosen to pay attention to them instead of ignoring them. I guess I forget he's a man now and not the little boy I used to carry around on my shoulders." Inutaisho picked up his sake cup. "Arigatou," he said simply, and drank. The dog general wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, before continuing. "I was hoping he might have pillowed her enough to satisfy his curiosity and then I suppose he would have forgotten about her...."

"As if a son of yours could forget a pretty woman!" Takahara laughed. "My friend, as much as you wish it otherwise, things are what they are. So, when's the wedding?" Takahara asked innocently as he refilled his friend's cup.

Inutaisho laughed mirthlessly. "Never." He shrugged. "I guess if she manages to give him a son and it looks like there's going to be another pup on the way, I'll consider it. But as for now, I'm just going to leave things be. Who knows, he may only sire daughters on her, in which case I'll see to it he's married off to someone Inuki-chan feels is suitable." He took another sip. "I'm really sorry about this, but perhaps this is a good thing after all, as Izayoi-chan told me she found my son in the girl's room at the lodge and she believes he spent the night there," he said ruefully.

"Oh really? That's interesting...you know, now that I think of it, Sesshomaru did seem rather possessive of her before, so perhaps they had been pillowing for some time now, and no one noticed..." He took a sip of his sake. "Please, old friend, don't concern yourself over this any more. What's done is done and we can't change things. So is there anything else you need me for?"

"Hai. As a matter of fact, I do. I'm leaving tomorrow for my lodge." Inutaisho paused to refill their sake cups. "I'll be gone for a while and Inuki-chan isn't feeling well, so I'd appreciate it if you would look after her for me. I'll let her know you'll be acting as regent..."

"Why not Sesshomaru?" Takahara interrupted. "I know he'll be indisposed for a while, but I'm sure nothing will happen while you're gone for what? A few days? A week? Besides, you know I would always help him if he needed it..." He took a sip of his sake.

"I'll be bringing him and the girl with me as well as Izayoi-chan. I need time to sort this out without all the pressures and nonsense that goes on around here at times. Besides, I think it's best to remove Sesshomaru from court for a while. And I need you to keep this whole thing quiet for now." The dog general swirled the sake in his cup before he took another sip. "And I'll be taking Myouga-san with me as well. I figure he can tutor Sessho-kun and the girl until we get back." He drained his sake cup and set it down on the table.

Takahara nodded and picked up the sake flask to refill Inutaisho's cup. "Would you like what's left of this?" he asked.

"Iie, you finish it. I need to get going so I can pack and see to it the others are packed as well."

"Arigatou," Takahara said and he poured the remains of the flask into his cup and drank it in one gulp. The two old friends laughed and both got up to leave. "This is like the old days, ne?"

"Hai! Only there's no pretty geisha or even aishou willing to bed us."

"Just our mates, which isn't so bad when you think about it, and I for one am definitely looking forward to coaxing my Toukasa-chan back to my rooms." He shot Inutaisho a wicked grin.

Inutaisho laughed. "Hai...and I need to go see how Izayoi-chan's managing with getting Tsuki-san packed. No doubt my son is giving her a hard time about or if we're lucky he'll have the girl packed and ready to go just to get her out there all the quicker for it."

"At least my Keiichi is too busy training in the cavalry to worry about women. Then again, I believe he's becoming very attached to that new mare of his." They laughed again and made their way towards the women's quarters. They lapsed into silence; each one alone with their thoughts as they both believed the other was drunker than he appeared.

888

"Little One, where do you keep your yukata?" Ningen-hime asked as stood before the tansu housing Tsuki's things.

"My yukata are over there behind the second door on the left and my kimono are in the drawer underneath. I also keep my obi in the cabinet behind the door next to the one where I keep my yukata." She giggled as Sesshomaru ran his hand up her thigh.

"Arigatou, Little One. I've found them." Izayoi pulled a few out and gently placed them in a pile on the floor next to the tansu. Then she knelt and opened the large drawer underneath it and carefully removed Tsuki's formal kimono. After standing and adding a couple of obi to the pile she asked Sesshomaru to go find her a large square of cotton. "Gomen nasai, Waka-sama, but I was instructed by your father to remain here otherwise I would go and get it myself. I'm afraid I cannot disobey his orders and that's the only reason I have asked you to do this for me. Please, I believe I understand what it would mean to you to go and get it for me and I want you to know I appreciate the effort." She looked at him and begged him with her eyes.

"Fine! But this doesn't mean you can start ordering me around!" he snapped. Damn it! I bet Chichi-ue only said that because he wants to keep me away from my Tsuki! Otherwise, I bet you'd be over in your room now, busy packing your things, not to mention the fact I'm sure you know exactly where to get a large square of cotton for packing! I'm not a fucking child for Kami's sake and I know why you're doing this too! /Sesshomaru scowled at the human for a minute before he spoke softly to his mate. "Tsuki-chan, I will be back soon. And when I get back, she's leaving and I don't give a shit what my father wants!" /Because any minute now I'm going to forget she's here and drag you off behind that screen! I need to be with you, Tsuki, and soon. I think the pain would be much worse if I wasn't so mad that she's here.

Tsuki reached up and cupped his cheek. Sesshomaru placed his hand over hers and moved her hand down towards his mouth where he kissed her palm. Releasing her hand, he turned and shot the human another cold nasty look before he got up and left the room.

888

So I'm to be regent, hunh? Excellent! Inukouhi is ill my ass! I wonder what she did that you're so willing to hand things over to me, my friend. All I can say is I hope you don't do anything stupid and make her co-regent at the last minute as that would ruin everything. You have no idea, my friend, how long I've been waiting for an opportunity like this...

Inutaisho laughed. "You look especially happy to be meeting Toukasa-chan tonight. Why don't you go on ahead? I'm going to stop at Inuki-chan's to see how she's doing now, and to let her know of my plans."

Takahara grinned. "That I am! Well I'll see you in the morning, then." At the dog general's inquiring look he added, "I'll be up in the hour before dawn to see you off, my friend." He held up a hand to stop Inutaisho's protests, "Please, I want to. See you in the morning, then."

"Hai!" Inutaisho said as he watched his friend wave and head off at a brisk pace towards his mate's room. Inutaisho went left and paused in front of the window overlooking the private garden he had Uekiya make for his wife. Inukouhi, or as she was known in happier times Inuki, had been the love of his life until he found his beloved mate, Izayoi. He never wondered before about what had made him ride out that day along the edge of his lands. He had come across a small gathering of humans traveling along with a palanquin. Upon seeing Inutaisho and his men, all of the guardians had stopped in a panic. Outnumbered, the humans tried to flee. The men bearing the palanquin became frightened and took off along with the other humans. He remembered hearing the panicked cries of the human riding inside as the litter fell to the ground. Inutaisho walked over to it and when he looked inside, the dog general found a young girl...

"What is it, my lord?" They peered inside the remains of the broken litter.

/"A human... and a girl by the looks of it."/

"Is she dead or shall we put her out her misery?"

"Iie, she doesn't look that injured, but she is unconscious..."

"Damn! You never were one to overlook a pretty face..." They laughed.

"Iie./ You know me too well, Takahara-san." They laughed again as they dragged the girl from the litter./

"Well, if you're going to bring her home, let's do it quickly before they come back with some taijiya."

"Hai."/ /

The girl moaned softly as she woke up and he was amazed she showed no signs of fear when he picked her up...

Inutaisho remembered picking her up and carrying her back to his horse. He passed the girl to Takahara before mounting his steed and once he was settled in the saddle his friend handed her up to him. He remembered too, that they had only made it as far as his hunting lodge, where they had spent two months together. He still could not believe he had actually gotten the girl to sleep with him, but somehow he had. It was then that he had done something foolish and claimed her as his mate. It still puzzled him, for he had slept with various women in his life and had never felt the need to make one his mate. Why this one woman, and a human of all things, awakened that desire in him and not his wife was beyond him. Yet thinking back, Inutaisho realized he really did not see humans the way the rest of his court did. He saw them not as vermin who infested his lands, but as something else, something that was far more interesting than disgusting. Therefore the humans that lived in the western lands were for the most part ignored by the youkai that lived there.

Izayoi was a welcome addition to his life and he felt it was time to acknowledge it by forgoing the precautions they took and giving her a pup of her own. He did briefly wonder if his choice of reward for her had been made for him by his son's behavior or if had been dictated more by his wife's attitude. What ever the reason he had come to his decision and he felt amused at the thought of two new pups in his court until he realized what probably would happen when his wife found out.

Gomen nasai, Inuki-chan, but I have decided to go ahead and disregard both yours and Izayoi's wishes in this matter and give her a pup. I'm tired of hearing about the looks of longing on her face whenever there's a new pup born. She is after all my mate and it's about time I start treating her as such. Don't worry Sessho-kun still is my heir and always will be but I want more pups and since the gods have seen fit to not give us any more, well then it's about time I see about getting them from my mate. And if you so much as harm a hair on her head... wife or not, I'll see to it you pay and pay dearly. I'm not as blind to the goings on in the women's quarters as you seem to think I am. And I for one cannot believe that you think that I never wonder why the women who happen to carry my pups always lose them if they're lucky and if not they lose their lives as well. You know, my dear, I've now had about as much of your nonsense as I can take...

888

Sesshomaru made his way through the women's quarters as quickly as he could without running. He was lost in thought about Tsuki and his father's pet and the more his thoughts strayed to the human woman the angrier he became and the faster he walked. He paused briefly outside his mother's rooms, for he caught the faint sound of her crying, but this time he walked on, his hurt dissolving into anger and bitterness as he remembered her last words to him. "I wish to hell you had never been born, you little shit!" He still felt the sting of her hand across his cheek. Casting one last look at her door, he moved past it and headed to his other childhood refuge; the room of his foster mother Toukasa.

"Ofukuro...?" He knelt and knocked softly on her door.

"Sessho-kun?" He heard her soft footsteps approach the door, before it slid open revealing his foster mother. "What's wrong? Are you still feeling ill?" she asked softly while he crawled inside.

Sesshomaru shrugged in reply. He sat facing her, just inside her room and he felt all of his anger dissolve under her concern and he wished she would make his pain go away just as easily. Eyes dancing furtively about the room, Sesshomaru struggled to remember why he was there as an overwhelming need to be back by his mate's side washed over him.

"Sessho-kun? Are you sure you're alright? Perhaps you should just sit here while I go get Baba-chan..." She bowed and started to leave when he spoke.

"Iie...I need a large cotton square..." He shivered and closed his eyes.

"Hai..." Toukasa got up to rummage through her tansu. She would cast an occasional glance at her foster son and she did not like what she saw. By the time she had found what she was looking for, Sesshomaru was once again bathed in sweat and he sat rocking back and forth. He flinched when she came over and laid a cool hand on his brow. "Sessho-kun..."

The young youkai prince opened his eyes and eyed her warily before he spotted the cotton. Grabbing it, he mumbled his thanks and left just as suddenly as he arrived, leaving a puzzled Toukasa in his wake.

888

Sesshomaru came back as swiftly as he had left, panic squeezing his heart. He was afraid he would return to find Tsuki gone, injured or worse. He slid open the door to her room and looked around wildly for her as he entered. Izayoi made her way to him a look of concern written on her face and Sesshomaru catching her movement, turned to her. Before she could even say anything to him, he shoved the cotton at her and told her in no uncertain terms to leave.

"Hai...ummm..." she said softly and she looked over to where her own mate was for guidance.

"Sessho-kun, that is no way to speak to anyone," Inutaisho said as he stepped from behind Tsuki's sleeping screen.

"Chichi-ue...?"

"Hai. Your mate is waiting for you." He held up a hand to stop his son from going to her. "But first, I want you to listen to me. I'm going with Izayoi-hime, to help her pack her things. When we are finished there, we will go to my rooms so I can get myself packed. Then I'm coming back here for you so we can get you packed. After that, you are free to return here. Plus I want you to be ready to leave before dawn tomorrow, understand?"

"Hai..."

"Good. Come, Koishii..." Inutaisho having dismissed his son addressed his mate.

"I need another minute to finish tying this up...there, I am ready." She rose and taking the bundle with her, they left through the low door connecting her room to Tsuki's.

Sesshomaru went over to his mate and after waiting a few minutes to make sure they would not be disturbed, happily resumed bedding her.

888

"Will they be able to travel tomorrow?" Izayoi asked softly as she quickly set about packing for herself.

"Hai... and since you can't transform like we can, I was thinking of going by horseback, as it'll take less time than walking and it'll be less frightening for you than going by dragon," he trailed off as if thinking out loud. "Anyway, I'm also hoping they won't get separated from us. We could waste a lot of time looking for them..." he shook his head. "What is it, Koishii?"

"I have never ridden a horse before...the only time I had been on horseback was when you brought me here. And I had you to hold onto..."

He chuckled as he ran the back of his hand lightly down her cheek. "Funny how you should mention that as I was thinking about that earlier..."

"Really?" She reached out and cupped his cheek.

"Hai..." He pulled her close and kissed her.

Breaking the kiss, Izayoi replied. "But I need to finish packing..."

"I have other things in mind...besides, I know how to pack quickly."

"I bet you do, but ...ummm...we've never, here in my rooms before..."

"Well there's always a first time for everything..." he wheedled before kissing her again.

"Hai..." she said breathlessly. "But now is not the time for it. Gomen, my love, but we also need to get you packed...perhaps we can pillow there instead?" She looked at him and her eyes twinkled mischievously.

The dog general sighed. "Hai. Let's go then."

"Unfortunately I need to finish packing first, my love. I think it'll go faster if I hand you my things and you place them on the square for me."

"Hai..." He took the neatly fold kimono from her and placed in the middle of the cotton square. When her hand brushed his as she handed him the next one, he asked, "Are you sure you don't want to here, when we're done?"

"Inu-chan..." Izayoi said softly as she reached in her tansu for another kimono. There is no need to hurry, my love, for I think we've already made a child... She briefly placed her hand on her stomach before going back to packing.

"Hai? What's wrong, Koishii?"

"Nothing...never mind." She smiled and handed him a couple of obi and tabi socks, before turning to close her tansu. "Well that's it for me. Let's go finish getting you packed, and perhaps we can...ummm...take our time and give them some time alone." She nodded to the door between her room and Tsuki's.

Hearing the faint sounds of his son busy with his mate, Inutaisho sighed. "I think I'll have you sleep with me tonight, otherwise you're going to wake up tired tomorrow." He laughed. "And I promise to let you sleep..."

"Hai." She kissed his cheek and, taking the bundles, Inutaisho left followed by his mate.

888

Sesshomaru woke up the next morning to the sound of his father's voice, not knowing where he was or why he was naked or even why there was something soft and familiar snuggled up against him. Still groggy with sleep, he wasn't even sure what the softness was, that he had clutched in his right hand. He would have bolted upright except his left arm was pinned by something faintly warm and silky. He held onto the softness in his hand a bit tighter and was rewarded for his troubles by another bit of softness that pushed itself back into his groin. He opened his eyes after hearing his father leave, and was pleasantly surprised to see the back of someone's head. He panicked when he noticed the hair was dark and breathed deeply to catch his sleeping companion's scent. Relief washed over him when he realized it was Tsuki who was sleeping next to him. /My mate...Tsuki-chan is now my mate.../he sighed contentedly and played with her right breast. She moaned softly in her sleep and pushed herself against him again.

"Sessho-kun, get up! And wake Tsuki too!" he heard his father call out to him again.

Why do I have to have to wake up again? Oh yeah...we're going to the hunting lodge...I wonder if there's time to pillow before we leave...?

"Tsuki-chan...Wake up, Koishii..." he whispered.

"Hunh?" She yawned as she rolled over to face him. Sesshomaru kissed her nose and letting his hands wander, he pulled her closer to him. Tsuki giggled as he lightly stroked her thigh. He wanted to pillow her again, but he was too tired and he had the feeling that the dreams he had had last night were really memories of actually bedding her than dreams. When they heard his father call to them again, Tsuki reluctantly pushed away from him and sat up.

"Maru-chan..." she said softly as he pouted. "We need to get dressed." Sesshomaru nodded and reached out to take her hand. Shaking her head and smiling at him, she went on, "besides, the sooner we get ready to leave, the sooner we'll leave and the sooner we'll get there. Then I'm sure we can spend as much time as we want together..." She squealed in surprise as he pulled her on top of himself.

"Hai...I know that, but I was hoping we could..." he grinned.

"Iie." She put a finger to his lips and he kissed it. "As much as I would like to as well, we'd better hurry before your father gets mad. Come on, I still need your help getting dressed." At his puzzled look, she added, "My ankle, remember? It feels a bit stiff this morning."

"Hai." He sighed and reluctantly got up to get dressed. "Stay that way..."

Tsuki raised her eyebrow and lay back against the futon. Smiling, she wiggled into a seductive pose.

"Hai! That's it! You know I could look at you that way for hours..."

She giggled again. "Don't you mean you could pillow me for hours?"

"Hai!" Sesshomaru grinned wickedly at her before he stepped out from behind the screen that separated her sleeping area from the rest of her room. He looked around for his clothes and was surprised to see them folded neatly into a pile. Next to his clothes was another neat pile that he assumed were hers. Sesshomaru dressed quickly before returning with her clothes. Reluctantly he helped his mate dress and they were ready by the time his father returned to wake them again.

888

"Stay here with the women while I go get the horses," Inutaisho said and his son nodded. "And here, in case you're hungry." He handed Sesshomaru a small wrapped bundle. Opening it, Sesshomaru found some rice balls. He popped one in his mouth before offering the rest to the women while they waited for the dog general's return. They sat quietly in the breaking dawn, watching the sunrise from their vantage point on the low veranda that overlooked the barracks. Sesshomaru, tired and not interesting in listening to idle gossip, went over and sat as far away from them as he comfortably could, so that their chattering would not disturb him.

The two women talked quietly amongst themselves and after a while Sesshomaru dozed; chin in hand. He was dead tired and not at all happy with the thought of spending most of the day on horseback. Still he felt a certain comfort in his mate's presence, which allowed him to relax enough to sleep.

"Are you alright, Ningen-hime?" Tsuki asked as she handed the human woman another rice ball. Tsuki also felt calm knowing Sesshomaru was near and she let him sleep peacefully while she chatted with her friend.

"Hai...I'm just tired, why?" Izayoi took the proffered rice ball and nibbled on it. She really did not want to eat anything and she wondered if she was going to be sick again.

"You've barely eaten, and I don't think you've been eating much at all lately," Tsuki shot her friend a concerned look. "Plus you're always tired..."

The human sighed and looked around nervously at Sesshomaru who sat a few feet away from them, dozing. Leaning forward, she whispered, "Can you keep a secret?"

"Hai...you're not terribly ill are you?" Tsuki whispered in alarm.

"Iie... Come, let's get up and walk a bit." The two women rose and walked out into the courtyard as Sesshomaru stirred in his sleep.

"Sssh...go back to sleep, Maru-chan." Tsuki soothed her sleepy mate. "We need to go...ummm...you know, and neither one of us feels comfortable with you watching."

"Nani?" he asked before he got her meaning and groaned. "Hurry back and don't go too far."

"Hai." She kissed him on the top of his head before heading out into the courtyard garden with her human friend. "Come; let's go over here behind the trees so he'll think we're doing what I said we were going to do."

"Hunh?" Izayoi asked and Tsuki told her which made her giggle and shake her head.

"You were about to tell me what's wrong..." Tsuki prompted.

"Hai." Izayoi looked around before continuing. "You know how I ummm...." she paused as a delicate blush spread across her cheeks. "Cycle more than you..." she whispered.

"Hai...?"

"Well...I've missed one and I have the feeling I'm going to be missing a few more..."

"And that is making you ill?" Tsuki asked when it hit her. "Oh..."


The two women smiled. "Hai...I think I'm going to have a baby..."

"That's wonderful!" Tsuki blurted out and hearing her cry out Sesshomaru stirred.

"Tsuki?" He stretched and looked around for the women. Since he could not see them, he started to get up and look for his mate when she hastily replied.

"I'm fine...we're just playing a game," she said and prayed he would not catch her lie.

"Playing a game? I thought you were you know..." Not entirely satisfied with her answer, Sesshomaru was about to go bring them back and make sure they stayed where he could see them, when Tsuki hastily reassured him that they were fine and wanted to walk around the small garden so their little games and gossiping wouldn't disturb him. Sighing in frustration, as he was sure she was lying to him about something, Sesshomaru nevertheless decided to accept her explanation before dozing off again.

"So how do you know you're going to have a pup?" Tsuki asked her friend. "But why now and not before? You spend a lot of time with the Dono-sama and all..." she trailed off and blushed. And what do you think he'll say when he finds out about it since it'll be hanyou...

"Well, I'm not completely sure and I won't be until I miss another cycle or two." She leaned in and whispered, "But I guess it's possible..." She blushed again and Tsuki giggled. "Sssh...or you'll make the Waka-sama come over and get us. Truthfully, it shouldn't have happened as we never...ummm... well we do...but he's never..." Both women looked uncomfortable, yet Izayoi felt the need to clarify things to the younger girl. Taking a deep breath she went on in a rush, "He's never spilled his seed inside me before..." Izayoi said softly, before looking away. She recalled a conversation she had had with Atsuimi-hime on the art of pleasuring a man without coupling and it deepened her blush.

"Oh..." Tsuki said softly and she wondered if she were blushing as profusely as her friend was.

"Hai...we got careless and it was my fault. I had always insisted he never do 'that,' so as not to upset his wife in case we made a child... Well, there was that time at the lodge...that one foolish time, I didn't. I was angry with her for upsetting him. She had written to him complaining about something and he was all set to go back and well... I really wanted to be alone with him. To have him all to myself and not have her shadow hanging over us, so I let him... as I really didn't care..." Izayoi shrugged and looked away.

"Hai..." Tsuki said softly. "Have you told Inutaisho-dono-sama?"

"Iie...I want to tell him when I know for sure." /I don't want to get his hopes up, as I truly believe he'd want this child, especially if I'm wrong and I'm too old to have a baby.../Izayoi thought wistfully.

888

"Akemi-san?" Inutaisho was surprised to see her in the stables so early in the morning.

"Ohayo, Dono-sama!" She gave her lord a slight bow which he returned. "Hiroshi-san if you're looking for him, is overseeing the new stable hands with Bettou. I swear he treats the horses better than some of us treat our own children." They laughed. "I'm here because Shiro foaled last night and I wanted to check up on her," she replied in answer to his unspoken question. "Would you like to see them? He's the sweetest little thing...."

"Hai. So your favorite mare had a little stallion, did she?" They walked through the dusky interior of the stable towards a large stall at the end of the corridor.

"Hai. He's black as the night; just like his dam was when she was foaled. You know, Shiro's a good dam and breeds well. This is her fifth stallion so far. I was thinking one more foal, possibly two at the most and I'll retire her. Besides, her daughter breeds just as well as she does." They chatted about horses for a time while Akemi would occasionally break away from their conversation to attend to an errant whinny.

Inutaisho watched her nuzzle each soft velvety nose before moving on to the next as they made their way slowly down the stable. Anxious as he was to leave the palace, Inutaisho politely went along with Akemi's conversation. He knew he was no different than anyone else in this regard; if you wanted a horse from her, you simply had to talk about horses before putting in your request for one. She reminded him of a peasant woman he had once met who not knowing who he was; refused to sell him a few eggs until she had first told him at length about her children. Walking slowly through the dim interior of the stable, Inutaisho wondered if she regretted not having pups before he realized the horses were just as precious to her as her own pups would have been. He now knew she would never have been happy living that life. Besides, she was fond of telling anyone who would listen that she loved riding off into battle alongside her husband. Before he knew it they were standing just outside the large box-stall admiring the snow white mare's latest addition. "Have you named him yet?"

"Hai! I'm going to call him Hakuba." She twinkled at him.

"Hakuba? He's as black as the night, Akemi-san." Inutaisho gladly rose to take her bait.

She laughed. "You're right, and his sire Yukito is just as white as his dam Shiro. But both were black when they were foaled. You'll see, Dono-sama, he'll grow lighter the older he gets," she smirked and he laughed.

"Forgive me, dear lady, for being so ignorant," he said in jest as he flirted with her.

"All is forgiven, Dono-sama, I'm sure you have more important things to worry about than the color of a horse." She smiled at him. "You still haven't told me what brings you here so early..." she wagged her finger at him playfully.

"I'm going on a little trip to my lodge and I'll need a couple of horses."

"How many, Sir?"

"Four for the riders and one pack horse." He thought for a minute. "Sessho-kun has ridden before, but the others haven't."

"Hmmmm...The Waka-sama prefers something more powerful between his legs than a war horse... But I think you'd be better off with a horse more suited to long distance riding," she said to herself. "I believe he'd be able to handle Onimusha and I know how much you love Jindaiko..."

"Hai. But don't we have any gentle mares that aren't breeding or geldings?" he asked in feigned ignorance as both of them knew she regularly reported to him about the conditions of his stables.

"Iie...nothing really for an inexperienced rider...But I would think your men would know how to ride by now, ne?"

"Hai." He laughed. "They're women and I suppose they'll have to ride behind us then. I'll need a pack horse too." The dog general nodded.

"Hai. Come." Women, hunh?/ / I wonder who he's bringing as the okugata-sama knows how to ride as well as I do...Don't tell me he's taking the human in her place, but who could the other woman be? /And why ride to the lodge in such a hurry? Last time they all went, I believe they walked and Ningen-hime rode in a palanquin.../They walked off to gather the needed horses. "Wait I'm sure there something for them to ride..." she trailed off lost in thought before calling out to a passing stable boy. "Boy! Are there any mares that aren't breeding? The Dono-sama wishes to take some women to his lodge."

"Hai...there's Bifuu, Haeru, Yasashii, Heisei, Kinkai and Joudama..." he rattled off a few names and they left him to get two of the horses mentioned.

888

"Do you think he knows and that's why he's gone to get horses?" Tsuki asked before eating another one of the rice balls she had brought with them. "I told him my ankle was better this morning when we walked over here."

"Your ankle's better already?" Izayoi's eyebrows went up in surprise.

"Hai...it's still a bit stiff, but I think that's because I spent so much time off it. I'm sure I could have walked the stiffness out of it if I'd had the chance. Too bad we have to leave so quickly, but then again I don't think I really want to be around the palace..." she trailed off softly.

"Why is that?"

"Because I'd really hate to be around the Okugata-sama this morning, you remember how mad at me she was last night; well I'm sure she's going to be twice as mad today. I'm supposed to be learning how to organize a banquet from her this morning as there was supposed to be one in a few days when I was to be formally given to Takahara and well that's not going to happen now..." Tsuki blushed and looked away towards where her mate sat; dozing off again.

"Hai...you're right; she really won't be very happy today," Izayoi sighed. Which is the reason why I didn't want to tell the Dono-sama about the baby just yet.../ /"Besides, I want to be sure it's for real and not wishful thinking..." I don't care if this baby's hanyou, all I care about is that it'll be healthy and strong...

"Hai, I suppose... So what's it like to have a pup?" Especially a hanyou one...I wonder if it's harder to have a hanyou than a youkai pup...

"Well, it hasn't been fun if that's what it is..." Izayoi smiled to herself. "I mean I feel sick all the time and it's been hard to sit there and eat with everyone because everything that's served seems to make my stomach feel ill, not to mention being around everyone when they're eating upsets it too. Plus I feel really tired at times, like I want to sleep the day away and it's not the sleepiness you feel on a hot day. It's more like I have no strength to do anything other than sleep... Then again, I have moments when I feel full of energy, like now."

"Oh...I wonder if I'll feel the same way if I ever have a pup." Tsuki gave her friend a thoughtful smile.

"I'm sure you will as I think that's how most women feel in the beginning, but isn't it too soon for you to worry about such things? While babies can just happen, it more often that not takes a bit of planning and desire to have one. You do know that you won't make a baby every time he...ummm...you know." She blushed as they walked back towards the veranda. She quickly added, "because of that, it may be while before the gods will bless you with one if you're lucky. I guess both of us had the desire for a baby before we told each other about it and the gods decided to bless us with one, if that's what it is." She smiled at the sound of approaching horses as they neared the place where the youkai prince sat, dozing in the morning light. "Come; let's not speak of this any more until we can be sure we'll be alone." She waved at her mate as he rode towards her trailing the other horses behind. He was followed by the stable master and his wife. "Waka-sama? Wake up, your father's here."

"Hai! Maru-chan!" Tsuki shook him gently as she and Izayoi exchanged a silent giggle. "Maru-chan, come, it's time to leave."

"Hai," Sesshomaru grumbled in reply.

888

They mounted the horses, and accompanied by Akemi-san and her husband Hiroshi-san, they headed out of the palace gates in the direction of the lodge.

Takahara met them just as they approached the wide plain that surrounded the palace. He wisely kept close to Inutaisho and the others while ignoring Sesshomaru and Tsuki completely. After a while Sesshomaru relaxed and was able to ignore him as well, plus the distance he had put between himself and Tsuki and the rest of the party helped.

They rode slowly through the wide open plains that stretched out from the walls that surrounded the castle, enjoying the beauty of the sunrise. Inutaisho glanced back over his shoulder at the retreating palace. Due to a trick of the light bouncing off the high parapets, Inutaisho thought the soldier standing at his post looked like his wife as she had the habit of standing up there and waving to him as he rode off. He guessed it was guilt over the way they had parted last night that made him imagine he had seen her. He had never before left her in anger and neither had he felt the need to distance himself from her as he did now and it saddened him to do so. However, when he turned around again, the sight of his mate riding next to him seemed to make his sorrow vanish like the dew all around them. The others, noticing the looks that had passed between them, slowed up to let them have a private moment alone.

"Is everything alright, my love?" her soft voice caressed his ears.

"Hai. I'm just tired and feeling old this morning." He smiled then looked over to where his son rode alongside the others.

"But you aren't old..." she reassured him.

Laughing, Inutaisho reached over and took Izayoi's hand in his. "Arigato..." Seeing her smile, he went on, "You're a good woman, Izayoi-chan, as you put up with so much."

It was her turn to thank him and after doing so she asked what he meant.

"I've allowed things to go on, that shouldn't have. Like letting you make yourself second best, for one thing. You're my mate and..."

"Iie. Don't say it." She gave his fingers a little squeeze. "She is your wife and the mother of your heir. It is right for her to be the best in your eyes as well as everyone else's. You know very well that whatever sons I may be privileged to give you will be hanyou, therefore considered unfit to rule. You know this is true in your heart." She smiled sadly. "I'm not saying they won't be as smart as you or as wonderful as you or as brilliant and talented a general and ruler as you. They will be hanyou and you know as well as I do just how insulted your people will feel to have one named as your heir. Possibly and may the gods forbid, if something should happen to the Waka-sama and he is unfit to rule, they might accept a hanyou as heir, but I can only see sorrow for him if that happens. So please, my love, I beg of you don't even consider it. I don't ask much from you, but this I ask from you..." Izayoi pulled her hand away to wipe her tears.

"Koishii? I will grant it if you tell me why you're crying."

"Hai. I'm just tired like you are, that's all. Please forgive me?"

"Hai. You're sure that's what it is?"

"Hai," she replied before turning their conversation onto a more pleasant topic.

888

They spent most of the morning crossing the wide plains that stretched out from the palace. Once they had reached the edge of the forest, Akemi and her husband turned around and left for home. Takahara rode on a little longer before he too turned to go home. Then the four of them continued on into the woods and after a while they stopped for lunch and to rest the horses. Finding a nearby glade that was surrounded by a stand of young trees, they were surprised to see a small stream passing through. Now that the horses had plenty of food and water, Inutaisho was pleased he had pressed on instead of stopping at the edge of the meadow like Sesshomaru had suggested.

Once the women were settled and the horses watered and turned loose to graze, Inutaisho called his son over to him. "Sessho-kun, go gather some firewood while I see about getting us a few fish to eat and once you have it started, come back here. I may need your help."

"Hai. Chichi-ue, do you think they'll be alright over there?" /Fish...why must we eat that human shit, when the forest is full of better things to eat?/ /Why? Because she wants it, ne?/

"Hai, your mate will be fine, Sessho-kun. Now go for the sooner you get it done, the sooner you can be back by her side again. You still have her handkerchief with you, ne?"

Sesshomaru nodded and left to do as he was told. He quickly found enough firewood to get the small fire going and as he pretended to go help his father get lunch, he quietly signaled Tsuki to follow him.

"Ningen-hime? Do you think you'll be okay if I go help them get lunch? I'm really hungry." Tsuki smiled at her friend.

"Hai. Go on. I'll be fine." She waved her friend away.

Tsuki gave Izayoi one last look before the human told her to go. Trying hard not to run, Tsuki headed off in the same direction as Sesshomaru.

888

Takahara rode in the direction of the castle until he was certain a change in direction wouldn't be noticed by his former companions. Turning his horse sharply to the right, he urged his steed onwards towards the mountains. When he had approached a small stand of trees, two mysterious figures detached themselves from the shadows. They walked up to him as he reined in his mount. As the horse stood there nervously stamping and tossing its head, they exchanged a few words before melting back into the shadows. Smiling, Takahara waited a minute before he turned his mount and headed for home.

888

/Damn it! Where the hell is he? How long can it take to find some wood and get a stupid fire going? Shit! /Inutaisho thought as he reached down and grabbed another fish from the stream. They were fat and lazy as well as relatively easy to catch by oneself, although the dog general would have preferred to have had his son by his side. He wondered idly if Sesshomaru had taken the girl and run off for some private time. He had hoped his son had listened when he told him not to take off alone with the girl as it would waste precious time if they had had to be searched for. Sighing, he realized he had caught enough for their lunch so after gutting and spitting the dish on a few sticks, he paused long enough to gather his swords and shrug into his kimono, before heading back.

888

"Maru-chan..." Tsuki shifted in his arms to look up at him.

"Hai..."

"Want to again?" she asked.

"I'd love to but I think we should get back. If we're lucky we can meet up with my father and no one will be the wiser..." Sesshomaru kissed the top of her head before moving away from her.

"Hai..." Tsuki said disappointedly.

888

Inutaisho was angry that his son had never shown up, and he had a fair idea of just what he was up to. He particularly upset at the thought of Izayoi sitting alone with no one to watch over her; not that Tsuki was much of a protector, but she was better than nothing.

The dog general focused his anger on the job at hand and soon he was on his way back to the camp where he met up with his son and the girl. He chose not to say anything about it to them and nor did Sesshomaru offer up an explanation.

They walked slowly back to camp. Once there, the food was quickly set on to cook over the fire and lunch was uneventful, except for Izayoi insisting she was not very hungry.

"You're not ill, are you?" Inutaisho asked.

"I'm fine, Koishii..." she whispered the endearment and lightly stroked his cheek. "I'm just not hungry."

"But you love fish..."

"I do, or rather I did. I've seemed to have lost my taste for it, that's all."

"You're sure?"

"Hai. I think we should get going, ne? It takes a long time to get there, if I remember correctly and horses or not, we're going to arrive after dark if we stay here much longer..."

Inutaisho nodded as he got up, and with help from his son, they broke camp and headed out towards their destination. Riding next to his mate in companionable silence, he found Izayoi occupied most of his thoughts. She seemed different to him in a way he could not put his finger on; all he knew was that there was a change. Not only that, but he found he had a strong desire to indulge her whims as well let her bully him in her own gentle way.

888

They made it to the lodge a few hours after nightfall and everyone was grateful to slide down from the saddle. Shouya's wife, who came out along with the other vassals who lived there, insisted they all go to the nearby hot spring to soak the journey from their bones while dinner was prepared. Inutaisho was about to refuse as he was sure his mate was tired not to mention very hungry, when she decided the issue for him.

"Arigato, Tsuma-san. A nice long soak sounds wonderful!" Izayoi exclaimed and she and Tsuki allowed themselves to be led away by her.

Inutaisho watched them leave and he was pleased with his son's remarkable strength in not following. After he had been properly greeted and the horses were seen to, the dog general dismissed the men and with his son in tow, headed towards his rooms and the promise of a nice long soak in the onsen.

888

Father and son walked quietly around towards the back of the lodge where the sleeping quarters were. As they neared their destination, Inutaisho broke the silence.

"I'm not stupid, Sessho-kun," he said quietly.

"Hunh?" Sesshomaru looked at father as a puzzled frown settled on his features. "I never said you were stupid. Chichi-ue? Did someone else call you stupid?"

The dog general sighed. "I know what you were up to before, Sessho-kun. What you did was potentially dangerous, and I also don't appreciate Izayoi being left alone like that. Something could have happened to any one of you."

"But, Chichi-ue, Tsuki had to-"

"But nothing," he held up his hand to stop his son's protests. "I told you to gather some firewood and start a fire, which you did. But, Sessho-kun, I also told you to come and help me when you were finished. It would seem you have a problem listening to me lately. Must I give you orders in order to be obeyed? You're my son, Sessho-kun, and I expect better behavior than that. I know there's a strong desire to be with Tsuki and most youkai would respect that when you are...'busy', but low level youkai are under no such constraints. They could have easily attacked you or Izayoi before you knew what hit you. Please, Sessho-kun, be more careful not only of yourself but of those you are charged with looking after. I will say no more, but this: you will get your carcass down for meals at the expected time and you will not be a minute late. Plus you will spend time in the main rooms as well as accompanying me whenever I desire it. Do you understand?" he quietly chided his son.

"Hai."

"Good, now let's go and get out of these things and head for that hot spring..."

888

They found the women already soaking in the hot spring and whatever they had been whispering about, was quickly forgotten when Tsuki asked if they wanted to use the hot spring by themselves.

"Iie, I don't mind sharing it with two lovely ladies, do you, Sessho-kun?"

"Keh..." the youkai prince replied as he loosened the sash on his yukata. Shrugging out of it, he made his way down to the edge of the onsen before cautiously stepping in. He took a sharp intake of breath as its heat radiated through him before letting it out in a deep contented sigh. Sesshomaru sank in up to his neck and closed his eyes as the day's worries and concerns evaporated in the warmth of the hot spring's waters. He soon became aware of Tsuki's presence beside him when little waves of hot water washed over him. They spoke quietly amongst themselves for a few minutes before he called out to his father. "Chichi-ue...?"

"Go, Sesshomaru," his father said. "But I expect you to be on time for dinner. Understand?"

Although he didn't like the sound of the weariness that had crept into his father's voice, there was still enough of the old bark to it. "Hai," he replied while hauling himself away from the soothing waters of the hot spring. For as much as he would have liked to have remained there a bit longer, the thought of having Tsuki alone with him and for a good amount of time was something he couldn't resist. He stood there letting the water run off him before he helped Tsuki get out of the hot spring. He found the cascading rivulets of water streaming down her naked body to be rather alluring and he felt the familiar stirring in his loins.

It was as he was pulling her closer, that his father's voice shattered the moment. "Go, Sesshomaru!"

888


Watching his son and the girl leave, Inutaisho let out a long sigh.

"What's wrong Koishii?"

"Nothing, except I feel so damned old." He looked at his mate and smiled sadly. "He'll probably get her with pup soon and I can't imagine being a jiisan..."

"Can you imagine being a father instead?" Izayoi said softly as she laid her head on his chest and snuggled into him.

"That's easy," he laughed. "I'm already a father..." He heard her soft sigh and went on, "That's not what you meant, is it?"

"Iie...I had hoped to tell you later on, when I was more sure of it myself...but I believe you and I are going to have a baby."

"Gods...that's wonderful! I thought you were, but then I also thought maybe I was wrong as we never-"

"Ssshh...But we did, remember?" She smiled at the look of recollection that spread across his face. "And it would seem the gods have smiled on us." Izayoi paused and looked thoughtful before going on. "Then again, our child will be hanyou, and we both know how-"

"Ssshh...I am lord here and if I accept this pup, the others will too. There's no need for you to worry, my love."

Sign up to rate and review this story