Categories > Books > Stephen King > The Secrets Within

Chapter Six: A String of Lies

by Roma 0 reviews

None

Category: Stephen King - Rating: PG - Genres: Action/Adventure - Published: 2005-11-27 - Updated: 2005-11-28 - 852 words

0Unrated
Chapter Six: A String of Lies

"What should we do?" Matt asked, his car still in the middle of the road.
"Well, whatever we decide, we can't just keep this car in the middle of the road," Orion replied, looking back to make sure they weren't blocking anyone's way. "I say we go in and listen to their conversation."
"Fine," Matt replied, a bit hesitant as stepping on the acceleration. They parked the car a few houses way so nobody would notice he was there. They got out, and Matt led Orion to his house through the rain and to the back door of his house, leading into the kitchen. They both ducked behind the counter while looking upon the scene in front of them.
Lauren was sitting on the expensive Victorian couch with her face buried in her hands. Bobby sat leaning back on the armchair across looking calm, but in deep thought. Lauren broke the silence.
"What have I done?" Lauren said in a barely audible voice. It seemed like she was talking more to herself than anybody else.
"Calm down, Lauren," Bobby answered with his deep voice. He was a very big man. Not in weight, but in size. He did not look like someone to mess with. His dark hair and deep voice game a mysterious aura about him. "They're just kids. They don't know lie from truth. Just we both worked at a bank together or something."
Lauren nodded. "What about Matt? I didn't know-"
"Matt was adopted. There's nothing more to say about him."
At this point, Orion looked at Matt. Matt's face looked as if it were drained of all color and emotion. Orion couldn't even guess what Matt was thinking then. He would've said something to comfort the lad, but he was just too afraid to make a noise and be heard.
Lauren, on the other hand, looked as if she was about to say something, but then she merely nodded. She didn't look like she believed the story one bit, but didn't want to ask for the fear of seeing Bobby's bad side. Once Bobby attempted to end a conversation, he ended it. "I think I should leave now," she finally said, getting up.
Bobby nodded and walked her to the door. They bed their good-byes and Bobby went back upstairs. They heard a slam of a door from the upstairs.
Matt was the first to move. He got up and kicked one of the vases in the living room. It was sent down with a crash as Matt's face changed to show anger and hatred. He collapsed onto his couch in an attempt to calm down.
All Orion could do was watch him, not sure of what he should do. She sighed and took a seat on the couch across. "You okay?" he said after a few moments of silence.
Matt looked as if he was getting more sick by the second. His face was as pale as a ghost and his facial expression was still very blank. "Yeah," was all he could manage to say.
Orion wasn't so sure that was the truth. He got up and walked over to where the window was. He just wanted to make sure his mom was gone. The car was no longer parked in the driveway, so he figured she left.
There were so many questions burning in both of their minds that neither of them wanted ask the other. How did Lauren and Bobby know each other? Did they both work at the Henderson Mansion together? Why didn't they want Orion and Matt to find out? Was Matt really adopted? From who? And the questions went on and on.
Matt sighed and walked to Orion. "I want to show you something," he said when he was right in front of the boy. He slowly reached into his back pocket and took out his wallet. Opening it up, he took out a small picture of fairly beautiful woman about in her thirties. She had brown hair tied up in a bun and wore a long, white gown. She looked like a queen from the way she dressed and how she looked. "My father gave me this when I was young. He told me that it was my mother."
Orion looked up at Matt when he said that it was his mother. The boy's face looked very much like his mother's. He could also tell that Matt's eyes were teary, but he didn't look as if he was going to cry anytime soon. A man like him wouldn't.
Matt finally sighed. "I'll drop you home. Your mom will wonder where you've gone off to. Let's go," he said as put the picture back in the wallet and the wallet into his pocket. He and Orion walked outside, to where Matt parked, got inside his car and drove off. When they arrived at Orion's house, Matt stopped in front and faked a smile at Orion. "I'll see you tomorrow, I guess."
Orion smiled back. "Okay. Bye," he said, getting out of the car and walking inside.
Sign up to rate and review this story