Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Art of Duelling

Chapter One: The Art of Duelling

by Random_Shinobi 16 reviews

Harry finds an old parchment that instructs him in how to properly use his...wand.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor - Characters: Ginny, Harry - Published: 2007-05-24 - Updated: 2007-05-24 - 1314 words

5Funny
The Art of Duelling
By: Random Shinobi


Summary: Harry finds an old parchment that instructs him in how to properly use his.../wand/.

Genre: Humor

Rating: PG-13 (Rated for sexual innuendo.)

Disclaimer: If you recognize it, then it might well belong to J.K.R or to some of her affiliates. Or to some random people out there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Chapter One: The Art of Duelling



Harry stared the old parchment laying on the table in front of him. The yellow sheet magical leather was highly curious.


He had found this old parchment hidden inside the back of an ancient tome about counter-curses. It was some sort of leaflet about duelling, but it was written in so round-about way that Harry had troubles to truly understand it.


"Hi, Harry," rang a cheery female voice from his left. The young wizard turned his head slightly and saw Ginny looking at him intently, a stack of books on her arms and bright smile on her lips. "What are you reading?"


Harry looked at the redhead for a few seconds, thinking furiously. Perhaps she could help him to decrypt what the parchment was exactly saying. "Well, I can read it to you. Say what you think of it."


He cleared his throat, turning his eyes back on the yellowing sheet again, and begun reading, "Like the old saying goes, its not the size of your wand, but how you use it. Although in all honesty, most witches you duel would probably say that the size helps too, as it allows firmer grip and more contact surface."


Suddenly Harry heard Ginny 'eep'ing, and he turned his gaze back on the red-haired witch, who was blushing slightly for no apparent reason. Harry was slightly perplexed by her behaviour, but as it was a well known fact that she was always blushing around him, the green-eyed wizard simply dismissed her reaction and began reading again.


"Young and relatively inexperienced wizards usually have an unfortunate habit of shooting their spells prematurely. Unfortunately there is no other solution than diligent practice. However, especially during the first few duels, one should always pay attention to the elementary wand safety as a careless shot can cause a witch to swell rabidly into an inhuman size, witch may heavily reduce your social life and possibilities of duelling with other witches."


At this point, Harry could hear multiple books hitting the floor and he was suddenly very thankful that Madame Pince wasn't anywhere around. He lifted his gaze from the old leaflet. "Are you alright, Ginny? You look bit flustered." And she really did. Her cheeks were flaming and her mouth was hanging open slightly. She looked quite comical actually.


"I- I'm all right," she answered, her voice both unusually high-pitched and shaky. Harry really didn't know why she was suddenly acting like this, but then again, he had never really understood witches, and he was starting to seriously doubt that he ever would.


"Hey, do you think I fire prematurely, like this essay says?" Harry asked with a thoughtfull expression. This could be serious problem, he decided. Whole bunch of Dark wizards were after him and so he couldn't affort to make any mistakes in fights. "I wonder if I should practice more."


Now Ginny looked like she was choking, her mouth moving up and down but no sound came out. "I- I re-really don't know," she eventually stammered, sounding more than a bit like Professor Quirrel.


Harry looked her for a few seconds. She really didn't look like she was well, but as she most likely wouldn't like him telling her to go to the hospital wing, he simply continued with the text. Besides, he wanted to know her opinion about it.


"If you find it hard to find suitable duelling partners, you can always hire professionals to help you out. One should, however, note that aiming at older witches, while somewhat frowned upon by society, is a good way to enhance one's duelling skills as the older women can usually teach many useful, dirty tricks. These skill may prove to be a critical factor when proposing a friendly duel to witches of your own age."


As Harry lifted his eyes from the parchment he could see tomato-red Ginny watching him with something akin of terror in her brown eyes. She was indeed acting very peculiar today...


"Do you think your mother knows things about duelling?"


After he had said those words, the youngest Weasley promptly fainted, but luckily Harry was quick enough to catch her before she hit the floor.


He gently lowered the petite witch on the floor and Ennervated her.


Her chocolate-brown eyes snapped wide open and she found herself looking directly into Harry's pair emerald orbs. "Hey, Gin. Are you going to stand up, or are you just going to lie on the floor and force me to use my wand on you?"


She made some chocking sounds, but stood up nevertheless. Harry could see a whole lot of different emotions clashing on her face, only some of which he could identify.


"Gin, you really don't seem so good. Do want me to escort you to the hospital wing?"


"No! I'm fine!" She nearly yelled, and in a few seconds she acquired determined look on her face. Of what she was determined to do, he had no idea.


"Okay... I shall continue then," he said and cleared his throat again. "Wizards should always keep in mind that its impolite to point a wand at witches you don't know well, especially if you are frequently duelling with some other witch. It's also a common courtesy to not target younger witches as they may lack skills to properly defend themselves. Also, taking multiple opponents at the same time is heavily frowned upon, by both witches and wizards alike, and it is widely considered to be extremely foolish."


Ginny's cheeks were reddening again, but at least she hadn't lost her voice this time. "So, Harry. Have you been duelling with any witches lately?"


"Well, Hermione, I guess," Harry said thoughtfully as he cocked his head slightly and scrathed the back of his neck. The brunette witch was, after all, his usual partner during DA meetings.


"WHAT!"


"What?" Harry asked, confused by her sudden exclamation. She had, after all, asked the question. Besides she had been on the DA meetings too and so she should know that he usually partnered with Hermione. "What do mean by that?"


He got no answer from the youngest Weasley, who looked like a fish out of water, and so he turned his attention back to the old parchment.


"Many consider it a wizard's duty to gather a wide duelling experience - to duel with witches of all legal ages from different cultures, societies and social standings. Good practical knowledge is usually a key factor in duels, especially when against demanding opponents or when trying to give a pleasant introduction into the arts of duelling for a first-timer."


"Do you think that's true," the redhead asked, her voice a soft murmur.


"I don't know," Harry admitted. "I guess there is no other way to know but to try."


There was a moment of silence before Ginny spoke, her voice managing to sound both hopeful and reluctant at the same time. "Do you want to? With me, I mean."


Harry looked at her curiously. Oh well, he was already getting bored with all this reading. Little duelling could do no harm. "Sure. We can use the empty classroom nearby."


The Potter scion couldn't even gather his stuff before the redheaded witch dragged him out from the library, her hands acquiring a vice-like grip of his arm.


She was obviously very eager to duel, Harry concluded as he was forcefully dragged through Hogwarts' corridors. A small smile appeared on his lips. This definitely heralded an exciting match. Maybe he could even learn something new...
Sign up to rate and review this story