Categories > Original > Mystery > The Paradox of Elaine

Chapter 2

by qt314 0 reviews

The next chapter of the story. This is where we meet the mysterious stalker.

Category: Mystery - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Horror, Romance - Published: 2007-07-03 - Updated: 2007-07-03 - 1129 words

0Unrated
"So, you're sure this is all worth it?" Amy asked.
The car ride was serene and almost peaceful. Hardly anyone was out this late at night, which made the road dark and mysterious. Elaine loved the mysterious. She loved to solve the unknown and the unseen.
Elaine's eyes drooped as the hum of the engine drowned out her thoughts. Even Amy was unheard through the calmness.
"Hello, anyone home?" Amy joked.
"Oh, sorry. I was just thinking."
Amy sighed and shook her head.
"Elaine, what's going on with you?"
"I'm not acting any differently than usual, am I?" Elaine protested.
"I've known you since we were kids. And I have never seen you stare out of a car window before."
Elaine just shrugged and continued staring out the window.
"I asked you if you were sure this is all worth it." Amy repeated.
"Are kidding? With all of the tender kisses I've gotten and those sexy butts I've seen, you better believe it's worth it." Elaine grinned.
"You are nuts my friend, nuts and out of your mind." Amy replied rolling her eyes.
Elaine looked out of the rearview mirror and noticed an SUV creeping along closely behind them.
"Hey, Amy, someone must like you...they're tailgating you."
"Yeah, stupid bastard's been doing that for the past half mile or so."
Elaine shook her head.
Amy sped up along the empty road putting a distance between the car and the SUV. But the SUV just kept on getting closer and closer.
"What in the world?" Amy said, slightly frustrated. "He's still following us."
"I guess he didn't get the message." Elaine replied.
Elaine kept looking out of the rearview mirror to see if they were still being followed. Her insides crept and crawled with each passing moment. She knew that something was not right. She had practiced over and over again how to handle this situation if it were to ever happen. And each time she succeeded. After all, she dated criminals. She had to be safe. So why wasn't it working now? Elaine closed her eyes as she set her teeth. A drop of sweat slid down her forehead. She couldn't take the continuous stalking!
"Amy, please just step on it already!" she said urgently.
"You got it captain." Amy gave a mischievous smirk before slamming on the gas pedal. The tires screeched as they flew into the night.
Elaine saw nothing but blurred trees and telephone poles as the car sped along. But she could still make out the car behind her. The adrenaline pumped through her veins, she was excited and scared.
"As soon as I get off this major street I can turn into an alley somewhere." Amy explained as she wildly steered in all directions.
"Do what you have to do. Just get us away from this stalker alive!"
"Calm down Elaine, you didn't designate me as your getaway driver for nothing did you." Amy smiled.
It was true. Elaine knew Amy had the capability and quick mind to get out of sticky situations like this one. She also hoped that it would get her out of this.
They cruised down the road; Amy looked in all directions for a small exit or hideaway alley of some sort.
"I see it," Amy said with victorious pride, "the small alley, it cuts off just a few yards ahead. That should lose him."
Elaine nodded, hoping Amy was right.
Just as Amy was about to turn into the alley the SUV swerved and cut around the side of the car.
"Look out!!!" Elaine screamed.
But it was too late. An ear piercing metallic crash screeched throughout the vehicle, and the side of the car was indented inward. The smell of smoke filled the air and flumed around the windows.
Elaine's heart beat fast and tight like it never did before; she thought for sure she was going to have a heart attack. Her face went pale as she tried to catch her breath.
"Are you alright?" Amy sputtered, coughing the smoke from her lungs.
"What were you trying to do, give me a heart attack?!" Elaine replied.
"Well at least no one died."
"Yeah yeah," Elaine groaned. "I just hope that whoever the retard was got what they deserved."
They both got out of the car and looked down the road. Elaine noticed that the SUV was still there, and that it had only suffered some minor dents on its side and back. Elaine approached the SUV to get a closer look. Maybe the driver was still inside, hopefully dead in her opinion.
When she looked closer inside the windows, she swore she saw a shadow moving. She squinted her eyes and looked again. This time it was completely empty. Figuring it was a figment of her imagination, she continued to walk along to the back of the SUV.
"Hey Am," Elaine called, "I'm going to take this license plate number down ok?"
"Fine by me," she replied, looking and tisking at the awful state of the police car. "You know I'm going to hear about this from the department right? You better love me a whole lot."
"Of course I do." Elaine smirked.
Taking a pencil and notepad from her pants pocket, she knelt down until she was at the height of the license plate.
"Ok," she sighed to herself, "P-"
As she made the last stroke of the letter, she thought she heard someone breathing heavily. Whoever it was must've been close. She dismissed it, shrugging her shoulders, and continued on.
"L-"
He lunged at her, his gloved hands grabbed a tight hold as he pressed her against the vehicle. He was completely dressed in black. All she could see where beautiful deep blue eyes staring at her through the ski-mask's eye slits. Elaine always had a theory that all criminals had the best eyes in order to hide their flaws. She struggled to breathe, gasping for even the slightest bit of air. She could see Amy about to run over to her from behind the police car. But with a wave of her hand, she signaled Amy to stay put.
Elaine's head began to feel dizzy. The world around her seemed to spin out of control. The black clothed man slowly pulled out something from his pants pocket. It was a knife! It glinted in the moonlight. It was dangerously close to cutting her flesh. In protection and furry, Elaine slapped the man across his cheek, making him fall to the ground with a hard thump. But he quickly got on his feet and gave Elaine a hissing breath before running down the street and into the night. She looked over to the car and saw that Amy watched in wide eyed shock.
Sign up to rate and review this story