Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Long Live The Car Crash Hearts

Sixteen

by rainydaykid13 4 reviews

Hope has a flashback.

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Romance - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2007-07-05 - Updated: 2007-07-06 - 2188 words

0Unrated
The sun had just set on that quiet Wilmette neighborhood and Hope lay in her bed, waiting to be tucked in.

Her father walked into her room, his suitcase hanging heavily on his shoulder.

"Daddy, where are you going?" Hope looked up at him with her big brown eyes.

"I've got some business I need to take care of," he explained, running a hand through her shoulder-length strawberry blond hair.

"What about Mommy?" she asked, lowering her voice.

"She's sleeping, sweetie," he said soothingly, "After I take care of this business tonight, you and me are gonna move and you're gonna have a new Mommy to help take care of you," he smiled.

"Won't Mommy get mad?"

"Mommy won't know anything until after we're gone."

"When will you be home?"

"I'll be back before you wake up. I promise."

"Ok," Hope nestled herself into her pillow.

"You want Ally?" her Dad asked, picking the doll up off the toy chest lid.

Hope nodded, taking the doll and holding it close.

"Now go to sleep, and tomorrow everything will be better, OK?" he kissed his daughter and she closed her eyes, just as he walked out of the room, flicking off the light and closing the door.

"Daddy!" she called.

He opened the door a crack, just enough that a thin ray of light illuminated the room,"Sorry," he whispered, walking down the hall and out the door.


---

Hope opened her eyes that morning and looked around the room.

Everything looked the same as it had the night before.

Everything felt the same.

He had said everything would get better.

She just couldn't make her young mind understand, but she had no idea what had happened that night.

Had all gone well she and her father would have been long gone by now.

She climbed out of bed and walked towards the door, clutching her doll tightly.

Hope cautiously opened it and peeked down the dark hallway.

It was silent.

"What's going on, Ally?" she whispered to the doll.

She slowly tiptoed out of her room and down the hall and into the family room.

The house looked the same, the coffee table littered with liquor bottles and cigarette butts.

The dirty carpet was the same, as were the cracked walls.

"Daddy?" Hope asked, walking into the kitchen and looking around.

When no one answered she walked back towards the front door, opening it only to find her father's car still missing from the driveway.

Hope felt her breath hitch when she heard a door click and footsteps move swiftly down the hall behind her.

"What are you doing?" her mother asked.

Hope slammed the door and clung even tighter to the doll, "Looking for Daddy."

Her mother quickly opened the door as well and sighed when she saw his car missing from the driveway.

"Damn it," she muttered under her breath.

The phone rang and Hope's mother ignored it, walking outside to see if perhaps his car was in the garage.

The phone continued to ring and Hope quickly scurried to get it.

"Hello?" she said into the receiver.

"Hello, is your Mom there, sweetie?" a voice asked in an official tone.

"Yeah. Wait a minute," Hope clutched the cordless phone in one hand and shuffled onto the porch.

"Mommy!" she called, holding the phone up to show her.

Her mom walked over to her and took the phone from her, walking a few steps away as Hope sat down on the porch step.

Hope was completely oblivious when the color drained from her mother's face and she fell short of breath.

She continued to speak to the person on the phone, trying to maintain her composure as Hope cuddled Ally, straightening a knot in the doll's hair.

"Hope go get your jacket. Now," her Mom said, hanging up the phone.

Hope, not wanting to get in trouble, did as she was told, no questions asked.

"Get in the car," her mom told her, helping her zip her jacket.

"Where are we going?" Hope asked, noticing the worried tone in her mom's voice.

"Hope get in the damned car."

Hope did as she was told.

Her mother got in and started the ignition, and backing quickly out of their driveway, speeding off down the street.

Moments later they pulled into the hospital parking lot, and Hope felt herself steadily becoming more nervous as the moments passed.

She hugged her doll close to her,"Don't worry, Ally, everything's gonna be OK," she whispered in its ear, trying to comfort herself more than anything else.

Her mother opened her door and took Hope's free hand.

"Why are we here?" Hope asked.

"Because," he mom said flatly.

"Mommy, where's Daddy?" Hope asked anxiously.

She looked down at her daughter, not knowing what to say,"Daddy's gone."

Hope looked back up at her mother, remembering what he'd said last night.

Her heart sank, but she hugged her doll bravely and kept her mouth shut, jogging to keep up with her mother's hurried pace.

They entered the hospital and her mother walked up to the front desk.

"I received a call... concerning my husband?" the man behind the counter thought for a moment before nodding his head.

"Oh, yes. I remember now," he said, turning around and picking several items up off of a table behind him.

"I'm so sorry about the loss," he said kindly, setting the items on the counter as Hope's mother nodded,"These were found in the car. There was also a suitcase, but it was burned pretty badly."

Hope's mother glanced down at the items before gathering them in her arms as Hope watched in terrified silence.

She didn't know what was going on.

Perhaps that's what scared her the most.

"We received a call about an hour ago from a Ms.Lyric Wilson, funeral arrangements have been made for next Friday, at Owen," the attendant told her.

"Thank you," she nodded quietly before turning and leaving.

The two rode home in silence, Hope was terrified, her mother was confused.

All Hope wanted was her Daddy back.

She didn't want to have to stay there with her mother.

They finally arrived home and Hope sat on the front porch, softly stroking the doll's hair as her mother stormed into the house, not even bothering to close the door.

She listened as her mom looked through the various items she'd received at the hospital: her husband's wallet, a slightly burned winter coat, a manila envelope, and several other papers.

Her mother looked through the papers and gasped,"Divorce forms?" she whispered to herself, looking the paper over carefully.

She picked up the next paper and felt the color drain from her face,"A marriage license?"

She opened his wallet and found the usual credit card and several pictures of Hope, but what surprised her were the pictures of a woman whom she had never seen before.

There were several of them, and the last one was what made her realize what was happening.

It was a picture of the woman and Adam, sitting in an apartment surrounded by boxes, each of them with smiles wide, him holding her close.

Adam had cheated on her.

And now he was dead.

She gave the photo one last look before tossing all of the items in the trash and pulling a joint out of her pocket and lighting it up.


---

"God damn it, Hope hurry up!" her mother shouted at her as Hope struggled to tie her shoe.

She picked up her doll and stood, walking bravely towards her mother.

"I was getting my shoe on," she said impatiently.

Hope completely and utterly hated her, and now she was all she had.

"Don't talk to me like that," her mom said, slapping her in the back of the head hard as Hope squeezed Ally and chocked back tears,"Now come on, we're already late."

She pushed her daughter out the door and roughly lifted her into the back seat and strapped her in her car seat.

"Mommy, why is Daddy dead?" Hope asked, looking out the window.

"Because he was doing something stupid, and he was leaving you and me all alone," she replied coldly.

"He was not. He was coming back for me. Daddy wouldn't leave me alone."

"I doubt he was coming back for you. Why would he want a stupid little thing like you?" Hope's mother said as the pulled into the parking lot of the funeral home.

"Daddy loves me!"

Her mother simply shook her head, tugging her daughter into the dreary funeral home.

"Can you tell me where I can find Lyric Wilson?" she asked the man at the reception desk.

He nodded silently and pointed towards the foyer.

She pulled Hope along with her and marched right up to where Lyric stood, leaned against the wall with four men who looked completely out of place, speaking to Adam's parents.

"I'm sorry my Daddy died," Hope said sweetly before her mother had a chance to speak.

Hope's mother couldn't help but notice how pretty the woman was, how her straight dirty blond hair framed her heart-shaped face perfectly, how her icy blue eyes seemed to look right through you.

"Your daddy?" the woman asked.

"Yes. And my husband," her mother said, flashing a ring on her finger.

She looked like a deer in headlights, just as the two men on either side of her did.

"Husband?" was all the man in the hat said.

"Yes, Myra is a..." Adam's father started.

"Prostitute, you understand," his mother finished.

"But the reason I came," Hope's mother started, "Hope is your problem now." She said, Hope towards her.

"Do what now?" the three of them said in unison.

Hope looked up at her mother, a look of both shock and fear fell over her face.

"Mommy what's going on?" she asked in a shaky voice.

"Shut up, bastard child," Hope immediately started crying.

"I was going to turn her over to Adam this week any way," she said, walking away before any of them had a chance to say another word.

Hope looked up at the three of them, both thrilled that she was away from her mother and terrified at the same time.

The three exchanged nervous glances, they didn't know what to do.

Adam's parents simply left the funeral home solemnly without so much as speaking to their granddaughter.

Hope hugged Ally and looked at them as the woman bent down to her level.

"Hey there, sweetie," she said kindly,"What's your name?"

"Hope," she whispered,"And this is Ally," she said, showing her the doll.

The woman smiled warmly,"It's very nice to meet you two, I'm Lyric. And this is Patrick," she gestured to the man wearing a hat,"And this is Pete," she gestured to a man with dark hair who stood, his hands in his pockets and his head staring down at his shoes,"Looks like you're living with us now."

Hope nodded,"Where's my Daddy?" she asked as Lyric began to look uncomfortable.

"He's in that room," she said, pointing at a room across the badly decorated hallway.

"Can I see him?" the little girl asked hopefully.

The three again exchanged nervous glances and Patrick finally spoke,"I'll take her," he said, picking her up and setting her on his hip.

He attempted to make small talk with her as they wove their way through the reasonably large crowd of people in the room.

"I think you'll like living with us," he said,"We have a lot of fun."

Hope simply nodded and rested her head on his shoulder as they approached the casket.

"Can you set me down real quick?" Hope asked quietly.

Patrick obliged.

Hope carefully looked over her father's peaceful complexion.

She touched his face softly and looked at the doll in her hands, remembering fondly when he had given it to her.

"I miss you, Daddy," she said to him,"Mommy said you didn't love me, but I knowed she was wrong."

Hope looked at him once again, he looked almost fake, his skin a horrible pale color, he looked almost too peaceful to be real, his arms placed straight at his sides and his head resting on the small pillow.

"Daddy I hope you like it in heaven," she said, kissing his cheek,"I want you to have Ally so you can take her there with you."

Patrick watched silently, his hands folded in front of him as Hope took the doll in her hands, kissed it on the head, and placed it in the casket next to him. His heart ached for her.

She turned back to him,"Can we go back now?" she asked.

Patrick lifted her back up and walked back with her to the foyer.

"You hungry?" he asked her.

She nodded.

"Ok, let's go to the kitchen and get something to eat," he told her as they passed where Lyric and Pete sat, only stopping long enough to give him a long look in the eye,"You really fucked this up good, Wentz."
Sign up to rate and review this story