Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Discrepancy

Breathe In The Autumn Air

by VividDiscrepancy 6 reviews

She's suffered minor damage to her brain and he's suffered insomnia, his lack of sleep balances out her overdose of it and vice versa. He thinks he's found stability, which he has... if you call la...

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama, Humor, Romance - Published: 2007-07-05 - Updated: 2007-07-05 - 1051 words

2Original
Puffs of smoke erupted from my nostrils and my mouth as I exhaled in the October chill. I took no part in the active conversation but observed everything silently with an air of superiority. My dark hair blew in the wind, whipping my face. I ignored it though, as though it didn't irritate me.

Whilst everyone conversed I traced rings with my finger around the rim of a glass that had previously held wine. The glass was shaped like a goblet though not nearly as elegant as one might've imagined. The inner sides of the glass still had remnants of the alcoholic drink that it had held.

The black nail varnish that adorned my fingernails was peeling, I noticed, and it had completely lost its gloss. I made a mental note to redo my nails that night or the following morning, my choice ultimately depending on what the time was when I reached home.

When I had left my house I'd had no intention of staying out more than two hours yet here I was, my fourth hour of 'partying' looming over me like an impending disaster. Someone's watch ticked noisily from its position on their wrist behind me or perhaps it was just me and only I was aware of its tick-tocking due to my lack of speech.

I looked around at the group before me, all talking and laughing and enjoying their lives and the company of everyone else. I was a silent spectator, acknowledged but not noticed, almost completely invisible. The wind blew again and my hair flew into my face. I shoved my hands into my coat pockets in attempt to keep them warm.

"Hey, pretty baby," a voice said from beside me. "You got a lighter?" I turned to see my friend PJ watching me with his big, dark eyes. I smiled.

"Sure do, honey bun," I produced a lighter from my pocket and handed it to him. PJ took it and nodded gratefully. A packet of PJ's cigarettes lay on the table and I took one, lighting it when he handed me back my lighter.

Puffs of smoke erupted from my mouth and not my nose as I exhaled in the October chill and this time, it wasn't the cold that was causing it. I coughed lightly after my first inhalation but recovered quickly.

Sitting across from me was a short boy with sideburns larger than Texas. Tufts of sandy-coloured hair stuck out from underneath an indigo trucker hat with a small pink floral design on it. He was wearing a jean jacket and a black shirt underneath. My eyes were drawn to him not out of sexual attraction but out of pure curiosity. He looked up. He had green eyes. They hated me.

And with good reason too.



Finding myself in my bedroom at three in the morning was not a surprise, despite the fact that moments ago I had been sitting at a wooden picnic table surrounded by people and staring at a boy with green eyes.

I caught sight of my boots. They lay on the floor of my bedroom where I must've discarded them moments ago. I was alone. The only light was provided by the full moon, which illuminated a mere fraction of my bedroom. I sighed and pulled my t-shirt over my head. My jeans came off easily and when they did I wasn't surprised to find a red alcohol stain in them.

I lifted my pillow and pulled my pyjamas out and put them on. I wondered how the party had been. I'd stayed for seven hours so it must've been okay for me to stay that long. Unless I'd left early and gone somewhere else which was a more plausible explanation because in general, parties sucked.

Ever since I was a child I've had 'black outs'. Unfortunately (because my life is so boring), they're just periods of time that seem to be blank - as if I was sleeping. Nothing interesting happens during these periods just that my brain fails to remember them so it seems to me as if I have travelled from one place to another in the blink of an eye. Sometimes they last for minutes and sometimes they last hours but no more than four.

Many people asked if it was a form of schizophrenia when they found out, probably picturing me going on a murdering spree and then waking up the next morning and remembering none of it but still having hands covered in blood. Nothing of the sort had ever happened and if it had I was very good at hiding the evidence; the police didn't even notice the disappearances of six hundred people. It's not a form of schizophrenia.

I recalled the doctor who I had visited every six months for a check-up from the age of three up until I was thirteen when he died in a fire. He had a funny-looking nose that had a rather prominent bridge but was squashed down flat at the bit that should've been the most prominent.

"Charlotte, when you were born the doctors noticed minor damage to your hippocampi. They are parts of your brain that help you remember things. The doctors were unable to fix the damage. You might experience lapses in time when your brain forgets what happened over the past couple of minutes or the past couple of hours and you may find yourself in a different place to where you were a second ago. The hippocampi are part of the limbic system which, along with memory, also controls emotion and motivation so any extreme highs or lows in your emotion might bring on lapses, perhaps ones that are longer than you're used to. But there's nothing majorly wrong with you so don't worry. You'll have to come back for a check-up every six months so we can monitor your progress."

Thinking of the words that the kind doctor had said, I smiled and went to sleep dreaming of absolutely nothing. Just like one of my 'black outs'.



Author's Note: So the first chapter isn't as good as I would've liked it to be but it's a beginning. Do my favourite R's and you'll win yourself some gold stars! (Wow, that rhymes... which shows you how shitty my poetry is)
Sign up to rate and review this story