Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Far From Lonely

Crash Into Me

by ForNeverYours 2 reviews

Harper has trouble getting used to the fact she's adopted.

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Humor, Romance - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2007-07-12 - Updated: 2007-07-12 - 1708 words

0Unrated
That dinner was especially quiet, by then everyone knew of my future and all of them didn't approve of it. I picked at my food and sighed, suddenly the thought of actually having a home seemed highly overrated. Patrick sat beside me and only stared at his plate. His fists tightened every once in a while and it looked like he could strike out at any minute.
"It's not fair, why does Harper have to leave?" He shouted, pounding his fist on the table, making the plates and glasses clang together.
"Patrick you have no say if your girlfriend gets adopted or not." David said calmly.
"I should, this is her home." He gestured around him. "Why take away what she wanted?"
I looked up at him, afraid to say anything. He was right, this was my home. It was our home, I wanted to stay but there was honestly nothing I could do now.
"This is not a home!" Diana spat. "It's a place for misfits that can't get adopted go, Harper's lucky she found someone that actually wants her."
There was a stunned silence after the words left her mouth. Shane shook her head angrily and left the table in a slurry of curses and sobs. Joe followed her glaring back at Diana. Andy stared around at everyone's faces while Pete stared at his lap. Gabriel sighed and got up, saying something along the lines of 'you ruined yet another family meal'. David's face was bright red as he stared around at the people left at the table.
I reached for Patrick's hand, but he pulled it away. He glared at Diana and pointed at her.
"Is that what you think of all of us?" He shuttered. "We're misfits and lost causes?"
Diana stood still, staring straight into his eyes. Andy left a while ago, making the excuse he had homework to finish. Pete forced himself away from the table, knocking over glasses and he chair in the process. Everyone left at the table turned to stare at him.
"Diana's right, this isn't a family." He shook his head bitterly. "It never was."
I winced, knowing that he was right. It wasn't a family; it was a mash-up of mistakes. Only me, Patrick, Diana, and David was left.
"You have no idea what this house has showed me." Patrick shook his head and turned away. "A life I didn't have before I moved here."
With that he stalked away, Diana sighed and cleared away the plates as David shook his head and walked out the front door. Paralyzed I sat there, not exactly knowing if I could move my limbs.
"Why are you just sitting there?!" Diana shouted at me. "Don't you have some packing to do?"
I jumped up and stood for a few seconds looking at the scattered mess on the table. Sighing I turned away and trudged up the steps, shuffling past Joe's room, Pete's room, Andy's room, even Shane's room. Even though I knew I was leaving, thought of being with my family left me feeling indifferent and strange.
Even the word family left a strange feeling in the pit of my stomach. It was almost like it was a mistake to call this group of people my family. A pang of guilt hit my stomach as I lifted the pictures of my real family off the floor, where they had laid scattered since I looked at them almost a month before.
"Oh guys, I'm sorry." I whispered to the picture of my mom, dad, and sister smiling widely even though they all had terrible sunburns.
I sighed and stared boxing things away, one thing I learned about adoption....even though I had never been in an orphanage was that when they said they were coming back in a week....they meant three days.
After packing away most of the thing I would need in the next few days I looked at the only thing left on my bedside table; my clock. 11:30. I yawned and settled back on my bed, sleep never came when I had something major going on in my life, so I leaned my head on my pillow and waited out the morning.
The alarm went off and I slammed it off with a tired mitt of a hand. Everyone else was downstairs when I finally made my entrance. Whatever conversation was going on fell to dead silence, meaning they were talking about me. Not really willing to care in my sleepless state I sat down at the table and put my head down. Shane rubbed my back and sighed, she knew exactly what was going on in my life.
Gabriel corralled us into the van and shipped of at seventy miles and hour. Pete glanced at me, shook his head and turned back to the window. Andy stayed home, another attack caused my stress, Joe looked at his yellowed fingers and Patrick stared grimly ahead clenching his fists to white knuckles every once in a while.
Lurching to a stop she turned to watch us get out then sped away. Something about her was different, like she didn't want to be around us. Pete and Joe went off to talk on the bleachers, Shane and I sat on one of the benches in the courtyard, and Patrick disappeared completely form sight.
"What should I do?" I sighed as people strolled past.
"I honestly don't know." Shane shook her head. "But if he's too much of a jerk to say good bye right then he's not worth getting bent out of shape."
I nodded and stood as the bell rang. Shane smiled and hugged me before going off to her class. Not really thinking about what class I had the night before I was met with gym and running for most of the class. At one point I tripped, twisting my ankle in the process.
"Harper, where has your head been lately?" Coach yelled, she was also the girls' gym teacher.
I sighed and winced as I was hoisted to me feet. She dusted me off and sighed.
"Take the pass and go to the office."
I nodded and stepped out of the gym, the sound of sneakers squeaking and voice leaving my behind as I walked to the nurse's office on the other side of the school. A small band of misfits ran past my limping form saying something about a fight in the courtyard.
"Yeah, that kids gonna get pumbled by Stump." One laughed as they turned the corner.
Before I knew it, I was running in spite of my ankle to the crowd already forming. Patrick stood panting in front of someone; I squinted as Pete joined my side grumbling about him getting suspended this time.
"What the hell is your problem?" The boy shouted massaging his bleeding chin.
"You are." He said back stepping forward and smirking.
"Come on, you pansy!" The boy shouted. "Hit me god dammit!"
Patrick took a step forward and punched him in the jaw, sending the boy to the ground. Standing over him, he rubbed his hand and stared down at him.
"You say you're good, but you can't even fight." He shook his head and turned away. "And I thought you were gonna make it worth my time."
With that the boy jumped up, hitting him in the back of the neck. That sent him to his knees. I gasped and covered my face.
"Don't worry, he's been through worse." Pete sighed looking at his hands.
"But-!" I said back as Patrick spun around and glared at the boy.
"What the hell do they teach you in martial arts, how to sneak up on your opponent?"
Patrick punch the boy in the groin and almost smiled and the boy crashed to his knees and cupped his package. A few of the crowd cheered a few walked away; afraid the fight would turn ugly.
Finally only me, Pete, and a few of the boys friends were left. I winced at every hit, wanting to stop but knowing that I sure as shit didn't want in the middle of it. So I waited.
"You know, once I finished with you." The boy smirked as he kicked Patrick. "I'm gonna take your little girlfriend."
This, obviously made Patrick irate. He...growled and started beating the living tar out of him. Only stopping every once in a while to flex his muscles or to see if he was still breathing. When the boy started bleeding nonstop form the moth I knew I had to do something.
"Patrick! Stop It!" I shouted, the courtyard fell dead silent.
He turned and stared coldly at me. I pulled in a deep breath and walked forward. Getting closer I closed the gap between us, wrapping my arms weakly around him.
"Please don't fight." I whispered as he tensed and started to push me away. "Why are you fighting?"
I held onto him tighter.
"Are you mad because I'm leaving?" I bit my lip. "You don't have to be sad because I'm leaving."
He forced me back and glared at me.
"Leave me alone." He spat, shoving me to the ground and storming off.
Pete rushed up and helped me up. He glared at Patrick's form as he stalked off.
"Don't think you can run away from your problems, Patrick!" He shouted. "Are you alright?"
I nodded and dusted myself off, the rest of the crowd disappeared. We stood alone in the middle of the deserted courtyard for a few more minutes, not really knowing what to do.
"Are you going after him?" I questioned kicking at a clump of grass.
"Nah." He sighed, shoving his hands in his pockets.
I nodded and turned back to the doors to the school.
"I'd better go, I was on my way to the nurses' office."
He held up his hand as a good bye and walked in the direction Patrick went. I smiled and sighed; he was going to find him. The walk to the nurses' office went without anymore interruptions. I got away with just a few scratches and a twisted ankle. The nurse smiled at me and sent me back to class, somehow I never made it there.
Sign up to rate and review this story