Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Times Square Can't Shine As Bright As You

How Are Things On The West Coast?

by lil_chica007 5 reviews

When William Beckett's 'long lost' twin sister returns, the guys from Fall Out Boy take her under their collective wing when no one else knows what to do with her. And Pete makes a connection, as ...

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Published: 2007-07-17 - Updated: 2007-07-18 - 1685 words - Complete

1Original
Pete was sprawled out on the couch watching an all day Wonder Years marathon. He was back home in Chicago, staying with his parents while the band prepared for their tour in a few weeks. It was 11:45 in the morning, and he normally wouldn't have even been awake yet, except that his mom decided she was going to start vacuuming his room at 8:30. He had been forcefully relocated to the living room and hadn't moved since. He was bored, but couldn't work up the energy to find anything better to do.

Just as he started flipping through the channels, his cell phone rang. He sat up, checking his pockets and searching around on the floor before finally pulling the phone out from between the cushions. Resuming his former position on the couch, he flipped it open and looked at the caller ID. William Beckett.

"Hey Bill, what's up?"
"Took you long enough. Were you asleep?"
"No, I couldn't find my phone."
"Are you doing anything right now?"
"Not really...why?"
"I need to ask you a huge favor."
"Shoot."
"Do you think you could drive me to the airport? My car's in for service and no one else is answering their phone."
"No problem. When do you have to be there by?"
"Now-well as soon as possible."
"Oh, ok. Give me a couple minutes. I'll pick you up in like 20?"
Great. Thanks."

Pete hung up and looked down at his Batman pajama pants. 'I'd better get dressed.' He stood up from the couch as his mom came down the stairs dragging the vacuum (is that really how you spell it? It looks really weird) behind her. "I'm done cleaning upstairs, if you want to go back up. You really shouldn't sit in front of the TV all day. It's not good for you."

Pete stood up and followed her into the kitchen. "Are you hungry? I'll make you a sandwich." She said pulling old leftovers out of the refrigerator and tossing them in the trash.
"No, William Beckett just called and needs a ride to the airport. Can I borrow your car?" He said reaching in behind her and pulling out a coke.
"Of course. I just filled it with gas. Where's he going?"
"I have no idea."

Pete made is way up to his attic room and switched his Batman pants for jeans and pulled on a t-shirt. He went into the bathroom and quickly brushed his teeth and looked in the mirror, smoothing down his hair. He grabbed a hoodie on his way out and jogged down the stairs and out the door.

He turned the key in his mom's car and the familiar tunes of From Under The Cork Tree came through the speakers. He smiled before switching it to the radio. He didn't want to look conceited after all. When he pulled up in front of William's house, he had barely parked when William came running out and jumped in.
"Whoa, that was fast." Pete laughed as he pulled away from the curb.
"I saw you out the window."
"Right."
"Thanks for doing this. It's just easier than calling a cab."
"No problem, I had to get out of the house anyway. My mom was on some kind of cleaning frenzy, and it was starting to freak me out." They both laughed.

They sat just listening to the radio almost half of the way to the airport when Pete decided to break the silence.
So where are you going with no suitcases?" he glanced at the backseat, just to check that he didn't miss any he might have tossed back there.
"I'm not going anywhere. I have to pick someone up."
"Oh, who?"
William scratched the back of his head. "Um...my sister."
"Ok." He nodded, and then stopped suddenly. "Wait, you have a sister?"
"Yeah, we don't talk about her much."
"Is she older or younger?"
"Actually we're twins."
Pete spun his head to look at the other man almost driving off the road, "You have a twin sister that you've never mentioned?"
"It never really came up."
"When the hell would it have come up? 'Did you see The Office last night? Oh, by the way I have a long lost twin.' It's like a fucking soap opera." Pete laughed.
"Ok, I see your point. It is kind of dumb."

Pete pulled into the airport parking lot and William jumped out of the car, practically jogging to the arrivals terminal.
"So, where has this sister been that we've never met her?" Pete asked, running to catch up.
"When she was 15, she moved to France to become a supermodel. She lived there with my aunt for about 5 years, and then decided she wanted to come back to America, so she moved to New York. She lived there for a while, and right around when we were recording Snakes on a Plane-like the beginning of '06..." William looked over to Pete, slowing down a little so he could keep up.
"Yeah?" Pete urged him to continue.
"She hooked up with Gabe Saporta, lived with him for like 2 months. And then split. No one's heard from her since. Until last night, when her manager called my parents to tell them that she tried to kill herself, and he's putting her on the next plane home."
"So she just disappeared?"
"Well, she didn't disappear for real. We've seen her in magazines and fashion shows and stuff. But she stopped calling my parents, wouldn't answer emails, not even Gabe had heard from her until about a week ago when she emailed him to tell him that some 'inappropriately unclothed' photos of the two of them have made their way to the internet." William explained using finger quotes.
"Wait, so that French chick he was with..."
"Wasn't French."
"And she's your sister. That's insane. So where has she been?" Pete asked as they scanned the arriving flights board.
"Tokyo. Gate B7." William said as they headed off in the right direction.

William frantically scanned the crowd exiting the plane as Pete stood off to the side trying to make sense of everything he'd heard.
"So did Gabe know she was your sister?"
"Not at first, but when we started working together, she told him."
"You know you really are a walking soap opera." They both laughed.
"There she is!" William ran over and engulfed someone in a hug.
Pete tried to peer around him to see what his sister looked like. All he could see was the top of her head over William's shoulder. William let the girl go and pulled her towards where Pete was still standing.

As they got closer, Pete could finally see the girl. She looked just like William, skinny and with the same face, but she had perfectly straight black hair going down to the middle of her back and wide, expressive green eyes. She was wearing a short, black t-shirt dress with giant purple polka dots, hot pink converses and a black hoodie. Pete thought she looked like an anime character come to life, or a doll. He also noticed the tell tale white bandages sticking out from under her sleeves at the wrists, and the sadness in her eyes.
"Pete, this is my sister Haley. Hay, this is my friend Pete." William said with a huge grin, holding Haley by the shoulders and pushing her out in front of him, as if presenting her for inspection. She was surprisingly short for a model, only about as tall as Pete.
"Hey." Haley gave a little wave.
"Uh...hi." Pete smiled back. He wasn't sure what the appropriate greeting was when meeting a friends long lost sister. So they just kind of looked at each other for a couple seconds.
"So let's go, how many bags do you have?" William began pulling them towards the baggage claim.
"Um, 4 suitcases and a duffel bag."

Once they collected all of Haley's luggage and dragged it out to the parking lot, the only thing left was to fit it all in the car. They wound up piling most of it in the back seat.
"These have got to be the biggest suitcases I've ever seen! What do you have in here?" William complained from his spot squished between the bags and the door.
"It's all my stuff. I have a lot of stuff." Haley turned around in her seat and giggled as Pete rounded a corner and the duffel bag slid off the top of the pile, hitting William in the head.
"Watch it! Why do I have to sit back here? She's smaller."
"She's the guest. And a girl. It's just polite." Pete replied.
"Yeah!" Haley piped in, pulling her hood up over her head.

Half an hour later, the car was stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic. William was on his phone, leaving Pete and Haley sitting in silence. Pete glanced over at Haley, who was frowning, pulling at the bandages around her wirst.
"So, how did you get into modelling?" Haley's head snapped up as she quickly pulled her sleeve down over the bandage.
"I just happened to be at the right place at the right time. Our parents took us to New York for our 15th birthday, and an agent saw me in the restaurant and introduced himself. A couple months later he took me and my aunt to Paris."
"Wow. So what made you decide to come home?"
"I tried to off myself." She shrugged.
"Hay!" William exclaimed, ending his call.
"What? I did."
"Well you don't have to talk about it like it was nothing!" William said, starting to get upset.
"I don't care." Haley slouched down in her seat.
"It's ok. A couple years ago, I overdosed on Ativan." Pete told her, trying to avoid whatever situation was about to happen. She looked over at him and smiled a little. She knew that he understood what she was feeling. They sat in silence the rest of the way home.



I hope you like it, please review. I'm already writing chapter 2, it should be up in the next couple days.
Sign up to rate and review this story