Categories > Games > Zelda > The Legend Begins

A Healing Rain

by Janus_Kamaren 1 review

War erupts in Hyrule as Ganondorf Dragmire attempts to conquer the kingdom. King Harkinian gathers his armies in preparation to liberate his people. In the middle of all this is a young man named L...

Category: Zelda - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance - Characters: Ganon, Ganondorf, Impa, Link, Zelda - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-07-21 - Updated: 2007-07-22 - 1551 words

0Unrated
I do not own the Legend of Zelda or anything related to it. Nathan, Ammon, Talius, Orgis, Ophelius, and Mandrag are all the property of me. However, the name Mandrag is the property of Nintendo.



THE LEGEND BEGINS



By: Janus Kamaren



Chapter 13: A Healing Rain



"How is he?" Zelda asked, worried.

"He's fine. Exhausted, but perfectly fine," Harkinian responded.

Zelda and Talius had found Link bleeding to death in Castle Dragmire. Zelda had cast a healing spell, but since then she had been worried that it was too late.

Now, she was with her father again, back in Hyrule Castle, standing just outside of Link's room.

"I spoke with him for a few minutes," the King said. "He told me about what happened with Ganon." The King took a deep breath. "Dragmire hurt him very badly. It was so bad that Link knew that he was about to die. But he says that you gave Triforce power to him when he found you, and that it saved his life." Zelda looked up to her father.

"He loves you," Harkinian continued. "I can tell by the way he speaks of you, how he looks at you, and how protective he is of you."

"But, Father," Zelda whispered sadly, "it's impossible for he and I to-"

"Not necessarily," the King said, knowing what his daughter was going to say. Zelda looked up to him again. "Traditionally, nobility marries nobility, but that is not what is written in the law. Didn't I always tell you to study that?" the King added, grinning. Zelda smiled and embraced her father tightly. He laughed and held her close.

"It's been a while since I've had one of these," he said.

"I love you," Zelda said, burying her face in her father's chest. "Thank you so much for coming after me."

"I love you too, Zelda, and I would go to the ends of the earth to keep you happy and safe. I want what's best for you, and I know that giving you a prince would only make you miserable, and I couldn't die peacefully knowing that. Besides," he smiled, "I've noticed that your brother spends time with Caldin's daughter, Seline, every chance he gets." Zelda giggled. She turned her head, looking into Link's room. He was still asleep. She looked up to her father.

"May I see him?"

"Go ahead. I think he would appreciate that very much." Harkinian kissed his daughter on the forehead and walked down the corridor.



Zelda sat in the large chair next to Link's bed. His eyes were shut, his chest rising up and down as he breathed. Rain pattered against the window, with thunder and lightning in the distant hills. Somehow, it was peaceful and soothing.

The Princess looked at Link. She was amazed by all that this young man had done for Hyrule. Not just Hyrule, but for her.

She reached out and lightly touched his cheek. Link shifted, and he reached up and touched her hand. Slowly opening his eyes, he looked over to Zelda. A small smile formed on both their lips.

"Hi," he said softly.

"Hi. How do you feel?" Zelda asked. Link grinned.

"Almost every part of my body hurts," he admitted. "How are you feeling?"

"Better, thanks to you."

"Good." Link looked at his clothing. He was wearing a clean set of his usual outfit- brown shirt and pants with a dark green tunic.

"I see that somebody noticed my normal taste in attire," he commented. Zelda laughed. Link looked at her again. She was wearing a dark blue dress with long, billowing sleeves, and with a black velvet bodice. She had a silver belt around her waist and a silver circlet on her forehead. A gold necklace with a blue gem hung from her neck.

"You look beautiful," he said. Zelda sat on the bed next to him. She bent over him, slipping her arms beneath his neck.

"Link," she whispered, "thank you for everything."

"You saved my life."

"Thank you," she repeated, closing her eyes and kissing him on the lips. He closed his eyes returned the gesture, gently caressing her cheek as she continued kissing him. Suddenly, she stopped and smiled at him, looking into his blue eyes. She could easily see how tired he was.

"Go back to sleep," she whispered, brushing a few loose brown bangs out of his face. She kissed him once more and stood up, watching his eyes close as he turned his head to the side. Zelda picked up an extra blanket and stepped outside onto the balcony, sitting down on the bench, leaving the door open a crack.

Hearing the door squeak a bit, Link opened his eyes. He blinked a few times, and slowly sat up, wincing from his aching muscles. He put on his boots and pulled off one of the blankets, wrapping it around his shoulders. He stepped out into the cool night air.

Zelda looked up and smiled at Link as he stepped out onto the covered balcony, looking at the oncoming storm and sitting down on the bench. Zelda slid over and curled up against him. Link repositioned himself in the corner of the bench, wrapping an arm around Zelda as she laid her head against his chest. He held her tightly, the warm blankets covering them both.

"I love you," Zelda whispered. He gave her a reassuring squeeze.

"I love you too," he responded softly.



One week later, the land was filled with excitement and laughter. A festival was being held in celebration of Ganon's defeat. Everyone in the kingdom was there, along with many Calatians. Even Drakyira and the Golden Dragons had come, although this unnerved several villagers.

Ever since he had gotten his strength back, Link had been hailed as a hero. The King had officially presented him to the people that very day, declaring him a true ally of Hyrule, the highest honor that could be achieved in the kingdom. He was allowed to go into the castle any time he wanted now, and he would always receive a warm welcome there.

"Excuse me," Link heard a small voice say. He looked down to find a young girl, no more than eight years of age. She wore a simple yellow dress, and her brunette hair was pulled into pigtails. He knelt down, taking his hat off.

"Yes?" he asked.

"Are you Link?" the little girl asked.

"I am," he responded. The little girl smiled and kissed him on the cheek.

"Thank you," she said simply, running back to join the party.

Link was touched by the girl's action. He stood up, putting his cap back on, looking over the people enjoying the festival. Thousands of people were dancing, various songs were being played at once, and the largest bonfire that Link had ever seen was roaring.

He knew that it had been worth it. All the toil, sorrow, and pain he had gone through for these people had not been for nothing. He could feel in his heart that the gods, and even his parents, were very pleased with him.

However, he wanted a moment alone. He stepped away from the party, going inside the nearby woods.

"Need some time by yourself?" Link turned around, knowing the voice he had just heard. He saw Nathan before him, only looking a bit lighter and slightly translucent. He grinned.

"Nathan," he said. His friend smiled his characteristic smile.

"You did well, Link. I must admit, that I'm very impressed."

"Nathan," Link said, his mood suddenly getting worse, "I'm sorry that-"

"No, Link. Don't say it. You did what had to be done, and I'm very grateful for that. Living like that was horrible and painful for me. Thank you." Nathan grinned. "Besides, you know I held myself back. Otherwise, you couldn't possibly have won." Link laughed.

"Oh, really?" he said, obviously in disagreement. It was like old times again. Nathan laughed, but then his expression softened.

"Link, take care of Zelda. You will need each other."

"I will."

"I'm sorry that I can't stay longer. Have courage, my friend, and you will find your way." Link's eyes misted, but he held back the tears.

"Goodbye, Nathan."

"Farewell, Link." Nathan turned and literally walked through the trees, deeper into the woods. He finally disappeared in the darkness.

Link watched him go, and continued to stare into the midst of trees afterward. He pondered the things that Nathan said, wondering what was going to happen in his future. Feeling someone tugging his arm, he turned around to see Zelda. She smiled and kissed his cheek, telling him to come back and dance with her.

Taking one last look over his shoulder, Link followed Zelda, a hand on her shoulder.





THE END

OF THE LEGEND BEGINS



--

I can't believe that I finally finished it. Before anyone asks, yes, I do plan on a sequel, based on Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.

I'd like to thank everyone who has read this story. I hope that you all enjoyed it. Personally, I think that it's my best work so far.



(oh, and the little girl kissing Link? I ripped off the movie /Saints & Soldiers/.)



And finally, I'd like to thank J.R.R. Tolkien and Peter Jackson for inspiration.

-Janus Kamaren


Sign up to rate and review this story