Categories > Books > Harry Potter > A Twisted Timeline

Chapter 06: Moony and the Mob

by madnesspersonified 7 reviews

Much to his displeasure, Harry is thrown back through time into his six year old body. As a result, Harry decides to contort the timeline, purely for his own amusement.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Drama, Humor - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [!!] [?] [V] - Published: 2007-07-22 - Updated: 2007-07-22 - 3669 words - Complete

5Original
Chapter Six: Moony and the Mob.



Remus Lupin walked towards the Leaky Cauldron cautiously, looking over his shoulder periodically to ensure that he wasn't being followed. This mysterious letter had Remus both intrigued and worried at the same time. The fact that whoever sent the letter was quite insistent about Remus coming alone was rather curious. Still, Remus told no one of the letter, not wanting to put them in danger.



Still, Remus walked inside the Leaky Cauldron, tilting his head from left to right for any suspicious looking characters. Sure enough, towards the back of the bar, he saw two men in suits, beckoning for him to come over. The werewolf walked towards the two men in suits cauctiously.



"Did you send a letter to me earlier?" whispered Remus.



"The Boss did Mr. Lupin," said one of the suited men. "The Boss would like to have a few words with you."



Remus took a step backwards, he wondered briefly if he had done anything to earn the ire of Muggle mobsters.



"Relax, Mr. Lupin, we're just going to take you for a little ride," declared the second mobster, as he pulled out what Lupin could have sworn was a Horse's head. Remus pulled out his wand but one of the mobsters forcefully grabbed Remus by the arm, taking his wand out of his hand, before forcing his hand on the Horse's head. Remus felt a pull and disappeared along with the two mobsters to some undisclosed location.



Mundungus Fletcher looked up from his drink, at the signs of a commotion. He managed to focus long enough to see Remus Lupin being dragged off by two shady looking mobsters. Even in his current state, Dung managed to sober himself up long enough to realize that this might be something that Dumbledore should know about. At the very least, Dung could make up for blowing off his assignment to scope out Knockturn Alley to have a few drinks at the Leaky Cauldron.



Dung rose to his feet, staggering around, barely managing to find the door. He would have to get to Hogwarts the Muggle way, as the last time he tried to Apparate when intoxicated, the results were quite painful.



Remus looked around, as he landed feet first inside a windowless office. The mobster twirled Remus's wand between his fingers.



"Where am I?" asked Remus in a dangerous voice. "I better get some answers now or..."



"Good afternoon Remus," said a raspy voice obscured in the shadows. "Do take a seat, we have much to discus."



Remus sat down opposite of what he assumed to be the mob boss.



"In your letter, you told me you would inform me of the truth of certain recent events," remarked Remus, wishing that he had his wand. "Exactly, what do you know?"



"I know a great deal about you, Remus Lupin or should I say, Moony," replied the raspy voice which caused Remus to raise his eyebrows. "I know you were bitten by a werewolf known as Fenrir Greyback, I know you managed to attend Hogwarts despite your condition, where you made three friends, James Potter, Sirius Black, and Peter Pettigrew. They were known as Prongs, Padfoot, and Wormtail, and together the four of you were perhaps among the greatest pranksters to ever attend Hogwarts, the Marauders. I know the Marauders had a petty feud with Severus Snape or Snivellus as he was dubbed. You four also created the Marauder's Map, which was confiscated by Argus Filch during your final year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. After Hogwarts, James married Lily Evans, and they had a son named Harry. Unfortunately, the Potters were betrayed by someone who they thought to be a friend and Voldemort killed Lily and James. Somehow, Harry managed to defeat Voldemort."



Remus stared at the shadowed figure, wondering how he could have known so much information.



"That much we both know but the story gets murkier from here," declared the mob boss calmly. "Dumbledore arranged for Harry to be sent to an undisclosed location, something that I'm assuming that you don't know about."



"No, Dumbledore was rather vague about where he sent Harry," replied Remus. "All he told me was Harry would be sent to a home that he would be loved and I had to take him for his word, even through in the back of my mind, there wasn't something right about the whole thing. Call it a werewolf sixth sense if you will, but I felt Dumbledore was hiding something."



"Dumbledore might have convinced himself that he had Harry Potter's best interests in mind, but reality does paint quite the different picture," said the mob boss. "This is one of the cases where your instincts were quite correct Remus. Especially, considering the fact that Harry was sent to live with Lily's Muggle relatives!"



"Harry was sent where!" thundered Remus angrily, rising to his feet causing both of the mobsters that brought Remus in to step back in terror. "Lily and James clearly told Dumbledore that he was in no way to be sent to the Dursleys. Both of them despise magic and are the type of people who would have us burnt at the stake if they were given the chance!"



Remus paced up and down the office, muttering a few choice words about Dumbledore under his breath.



"That no good, that lying, that son of..." muttered Remus before trailing off. "I worshipped the ground he walked on and he turns around and spits on that same ground."



"That's only part of the truth, Remus," interjected the mob boss.



"So, there's more," replied Remus calmly, before sitting down. "Please continue."



"Gladly," remarked the mob boss calmly. "Now, Lily and James were betrayed by Voldemort, because they put their trust in the wrong person. That much is true. However, Sirius Black was never the Secret Keeper."



"What?" asked Remus in a disbelieving voice. "Black had to be the Secret Keeper, the Ministry did throw him into Azkaban after all."



"Yes, but the problem was, that Sirius never did receive a trial for his actions and the real villain remains at large," remarked the mob boss. "In other words, Lily and James switched Secret Keepers from Sirius to Peter Pettigrew."



"That does make sense," said Remus thoughtfully. "No one would expect Wormtail to be the Secret Keeper, everyone would jump to Sirius. But, why did they never tell me?"



"I don't quite know, I can only speculate," said the mob boss. "Maybe, they wanted to eliminated any leaks, but it was all for moot as the betrayal did happen."



The mob boss paused for dramatic effect.



"Just one question," remarked Remus. "Exactly how do I know you're telling me the truth?"



"A very good question and begins and ends with the whereabouts of one Harry Potter," answered the mob boss.



"You know where Harry is!" exclaimed Remus.



"How could I not?" asked the mob boss, stepping outside the shadows, causing Remus to look at him with a disbelieving look. The lightning bolt scar on his forehead was prominent and if Remus didn't see it with his own eyes, he wouldn't believe it.



"Harry?" asked Remus in an uncertain voice.



"That's my name, last time I checked," replied Harry dryly. "Now let me tell you a story that began twenty years ago in an alternate timeline."



Albus Dumbledore sat in his office, hearing the distant yell of students in the corridors of Hogwarts. He normally enjoyed overhearing the banter of young witches and wizards, but his mind was on the ever present problem of the missing Boy-Who-Lived.



"Enter," remarked Dumbledore, as a loud knocking was heard outside of his office door and a moment later, the door swung up, as Mundungus Fletcher staggered inside, nearly knocking over a vase in Dumbledore's possession, earning him a disapproving snort and a disgusted glare from the portrait of Phineas Nigellius Black. "Mundungus, you look rather disturbed, sit down."



"More like rather drunk," muttered Phineas but if Dumbledore heard him, he chose not to acknowledge.



Mundungus barely hit the chair, sitting down to face the Headmaster.



"Professor...kidnapping...Lupin...mobsters...Portkey...Leaky Cauldron," hiccupped Mundungus as he could barely sit up straight to face Dumbledore.



"Remus Lupin was kidnapped by mobsters and forced to take a Portkey at the Leaky Cauldron," repeated Dumbledore slowly and clearly, all the twinkle having disappeared from his eyes. "Exactly what would mobsters want with Remus and why weren't you keeping at an eye on Knockturn Alley for any signs of the escaped Death Eaters, Mundungus."



"Aye, I just took a break and had a couple of drinks, Headmaster," slurred Mundungus.



"Try a couple dozen and you might have a bit more credible story, you filthy half blood," muttered Phineas.



"Enough, Phineas," declared Dumbledore calmly before turning his attention towards Mundungus. "Well, Mundungus I'm rather disappointed at the fact you abandoned your post but rather intrigued with the information you brought me. I hope you take your duties more seriously in the future."



"Of course, Professor Dumbledore," slurred Mundungus as he attempted to rise to his feet managing it shakily and staggering out of the office, with Phineas and a few of the other portraits of past Headmasters and Headmistresses staring at Mundungus with disapproving looks etched on their face as the grimy man left.



"Mobsters, honestly why would they have anything to do with wizards?" asked one of the portraits.



"Now, there are quiet a few wizard mob bosses, in fact there is one right now, if I'm not mistaken," answered Dumbledore. "Edward Zabini, he leads one of the top crime syndicates in the United Kingdom, but he has never been wanted by the Ministry because it's never been proven he's broken any magical laws."



"Zabini, Zabini, Zabini," muttered Phineas, as if the portrait was trying to something unpleasant. Oh, yes, I remember that name. Wasn't Edward Zabini the one that married that gold digging slut, Adrianna Edwards. The one that killed her first five husbands."



"Now, Phineas, I'm quite sure it's just a coincidence that those five men dropped dead," reprimanded Dumbledore. "Such things are strange, but there isn't any proof that Adrianna should be tossed into Azkaban for murder. There is no proof and besides, she has a six year old daughter, so I would think she would have a change of heart even if there was something more sinister to this whole business. "



"Right, you do know that she was acquaintances with Riddle at Hogwarts or has that slipped your mind in old age, Dumbledore," replied Phineas snidely. "Her latest husband might not be a supporter for the Dark Lord, but she definitely is. Zabini could be a pitiful puppet, dangling on a string at her every whim until she is bored with him. Your insistence on believing the best in everyone is your biggest flaw, Dumbledore. "



Dumbledore just turned his back, choosing not to acknowledge that last statement, getting back to the matter at hand. Lupin getting kidnapped by mobsters and Harry Potter disappearing had some kind of connection, although Dumbledore thought he was missing one crucial piece of information that would solve the entire puzzle. The Death Eaters, including the traitorous Sirius Black, escaping from Azkaban added to the troubles that were going on in the Wizarding World.



Dumbledore hoped that he could find Harry and return him to his relatives soon. His window of opportunity of getting the child back before the protection around Number Four Privet Drive competently dissolved was rapidly disappearing. The Headmaster didn't have too much time left to find Harry but so far, the remaining members of the Order of the Phoenix were having little or no luck. The Ministry of Magic wouldn't have been a help, as they would sooner send the Dursleys to Azkaban after recent information then send Harry to Number Four Privet Drive.



"Very interesting, Harry," said Remus. "Your story is so outrageous that I could scarcely believe it at first, but now that I think about it, it does explain everything that happens in the past week."



Remus paused, looking at the ceiling for a few seconds.



"Still, time travel has never been done for more than a few hours," replied Remus. "I believe eight hours is the maximum that a time turner can go but technically, I suppose it isn't really time travel you did. You traveled backwards from an alternate universe that everything happened the same until the moment you woke up in your six year old body."



Harry nodded in agreement.



"Wormtail was the one that betrayed Lily and James," replied Remus as if still trying to wrap his finger around everything. "We need to get Sirius out of Azkaban somehow and put Wormtail in there."



"Well, I'm already half way done, I would have put Wormtail in had Dumbledore not shown up at the wrong moment," declared Harry and it took a few seconds for Remus to realize what Harry had just done.



"You broke into Azkaban and broke Sirius out!" yelled Remus in a disbelieving voice.



"Guilty as charged," replied Harry with a mischievous voice.



"Harry that is..." started Remus trying to find the right words to describe what Harry had done.



"Completely insane," supplied Harry cheerfully.



"Well, yes, but exactly how did you break into Azkaban?" asked Remus.



"Blueprints of the wards that I got from Gringotts," answered Harry. "The goblin seemed to be rather prompt to part with the blueprints, when I threw some gold in his way. Along with blueprints of Hogwarts and the Ministry of Magic, I might add."



"Ah yes, but I'm sure you won't do anything underhanded with that particular information," said Remus calmly.



"If Dumbledore and the Ministry behaves and plays by my rules, then there shouldn't be any reason why I should use the blueprints of Hogwarts and the Ministry," said Harry. "Of course, Dumbledore tends to march to his own tune and the Ministry in general does things that only benefit them and any agenda they might swing with at the time."



Remus nodded, looking a bit overwhelmed at what he had learned in a few hours.



"I suppose I should save the story about how I tricked Lucius Malfoy into giving me all of the Malfoy family fortune for another day," said Harry in a casual voice. "You do look a bit overwhelmed at what I told you today."



Remus nodded calmly.



"Come on, Sirius is waiting for us upstairs, I don't doubt he'll be pleased to see you for the first time in years," continued Harry and with that, Remus and Harry left the office of the Boy-Who-Lived-Twice to head upstairs to where Sirius was staying.



Harry reached forward to knock on the door.



"Come in," said Sirius and the door opened, allowing Remus and Harry to walk into the room. "Hello Remus."



"Sirius," said Remus. "It's been too long, hasn't it?"



"Yes, Harry told you the whole story I assume," said Sirius.



"Everything, right in down to the headache inducing time travel details," replied Remus causing Sirius and Harry to both laugh. "I'm sorry I ever believed you doubted Lily and James, Sirius."



"Ah, that's all right, you were too blinded by grief to think rationally, Moony," said Sirius "And in turn, I might have thought you were the spy and I think you can see why I might have thought it wasn't a good idea to tell you that Lily and James didn't switch Secret Keepers."



"Well, to be fair, Sirius, Voldemort was recruiting dark creatures and during that time, no one knew who they could trust," said Remus fairly.



"Let's just say we're both wrong and move on with our lives, putting this entire nasty business behind us Moony" said Sirius.



"Good idea, Padfoot," responded Remus.



"Now that's all settled, I have some important business that I need to intend to," injected Harry. "I'm sure you two want to catch up."



Harry walked from the room, deep in thought, plotting his next move. Stealing the Philosopher's Stone and smashing it with a sledgehammer seemed to be a great idea, but the problem was the stone was at Gringotts. If only Harry could find out when Flamel might remove it, he could have a chance to get his hands on the Stone, before Voldemort had a chance to put it to some nefarious use.



"Boss Potter," said Antonio and Harry looked up to acknowledge his lead advisor.



"Yes, Antonio what is it?" asked Harry calmly.



"I know you've been busy lately but I'd be honored if you attend dinner at the house my sister and her family, tomorrow night" said Antonio. "I mentioned you to her a few days ago and she is insistent in meeting you. Plus, I can introduce you to my niece then."



"The one you thought I would get along with well," said Harry, feeling slightly apprehensive about having to spend time around someone his age, as Harry didn't want to dumb down his maturity level to communicate at the level of children.



"Yes, that one," remarked Antonio. "And as your advisor, I think it would be a good idea for you to spend some time around children around your own age group, no matter how mature you are for your age."



"Your advice has never steered me wrong in the week that we have met, Antonio," said Harry wearily. "I accept your invitation."



In the forests of Albania, the human form Peter Pettigrew approached an area of the forest that was dark and a faint black mist swirled through the air. He heard a loud, sinister hissing sound causing him to jump into the air. Peter stood frozen, unable or unwilling to transform into his Animagus form and a trio of snakes slithered in a circle around his feet, hissing madly, causing Peter to tremble in fear.



"The master will be pleased to have found fresh meat," hissed the first snake, as Peter whimpered instinctively, even through he couldn't understand what the snake said.



"This one has meat plentiful enough that we will be enough to feed on for months," hissed a second snake venomously.



"So, plump, so tender," hissed the third snake, wrapping around Peter's legs, causing Peter to scream like a little girl.



A fourth snake, a large snake nearly forty feet long slithered towards the forest, as the dark mist became thicker. Peter whimpered, as the snake looked up with him, with glowing red eyes. The eyes seemed rather familiar to Peter but in his terror, he couldn't logically place the source of where the eyes were.



"Wormtail," declared the snake in English, but still in a bit of a hiss. "You've decided to finally seek out your master."



Wormtail stared in spite of himself, scarcely believing what he had heard.



"M-m-m-my Lord," declared Wormtail in a terrified voice, too aware that the snakes continued to circle around his feet.



"Yes, Wormtail, I am Lord Voldemort," declared the snake in a bored voice. "My form has been turned into a demonic spirit that can only be possess animals for a matter of days. I have many slimy followers willing to give their freedom and lives up for the honor being possessed by what they believe to be the Lord of Snakes."



Some seconds later, several dozen more snakes joined Voldemort and his trio of followers, baring their fangs and causing Wormtail to throw his arms over his face in fear.



"Do not worry Wormtail, they will not kill you, unless of your you do something foolish," declared the voice of Lord Voldemort, breaking into a cold, high laughter. "I heard tales that you were dead but apparently they were gravely exaggerating."



Voldemort broke out into laughter at his own pun and Wormtail followed with a round of nervous chuckles.



"You might be pitiful in magic but you could be the able body wizard I require to return myself to my full power and my full body," hissed Voldemort.



"Anything, my Lord, I live to serve you," said Wormtail tentatively.



"And as long as you serve me well, you shall live, Wormtail," declared Voldemort. "Now, you need to follow my plan to the letter and soon, Lord Voldemort will reign supreme over all of the filth polluting the magical world."



Wormtail leaned in to listen to the Dark Lord's plan, attempting to block the hisses of the snakes eerily circling around him and his Master from his mind.



Antonio, Remus, and Harry walked up towards Antonio's sister's house. Sirius wanted to come with them, causing Harry and Remus to remind him that he was still wanted by the Ministry of Magic. Not to mention the fact that the Muggle police were after him as well, because he was such a dangerous magical fugitive. Harry hoped that he could get his hands on Wormtail soon, but the sinking feeling that the rodent had ran off to Albania to meet up with Voldemort was too prominent. Unfortunately, Harry didn't know exactly where in the forests of Albania Voldemort's spirit was hiding out. Otherwise, he would attempt to find someway to contain Voldemort, so his followers could not go after him.



Antonio rang the doorbell. A moment later, the door opened and Antonio and Remus walked in, with Harry following behind. Harry mentally cursed his six year old height, as he could barely see who had let him in.



"Ah, yes, Marie, this is the Boss Potter I've been telling you so much about and this is a friend of his father's, Remus Lupin," said Antonio. "Harry, Remus, this is my sister Marie, and her husband Jonathan, along with their daughter Hermione."



Harry's head jerked up, hardly believing what he heard. Any thoughts that this was a coincidence were blasted from his head. There was no mistaking that bushy hair even if he had last seen her nearly fifteen years from now.



Harry was face to face with a six year old, nearly seven year old, Hermione Granger.
Sign up to rate and review this story