Categories > Cartoons > Delilah and Julius > The Last Night

Comatose

by panda_1418 2 reviews

His dreams don't comfort him.

Category: Delilah and Julius - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2007-07-22 - Updated: 2007-07-22 - 1099 words - Complete

0Unrated
Julius hardly ever dreamt, but tonight was different. He wished it wasn't. In his dream ... he was dreaming. It was so confusing. He was alone in a dark room, with voices echoing around him.

"Man, that stuff you were saying to Ice really came easily to you ..."

"Who knows? Maybe I was thinking of someone else."

"I'm sorry I left you. It was a stupid thing to do. Please wake up!"

"Julius, man, I swear if you do a cannonball ..."

"My name's Delilah."

"Don't cry, son, we'll be home later."

"Mommy! Daddy!"


In his dream, he woke up in a sweat. He was gasping and shaking, overwhelmed by the memories. And then, rolling over, he froze. Delilah was sitting on the edge of his bed, staring at him with worried, soft eyes. She began sliding towards him.

"Oh Julius, were you having a bad dream?" She smiled gently. "Let me make you feel better."

Reaching out her hand, she lightly touched his cheek. Strangely, he did feel better - instantly. Delilah began to delicately trace his face, still smiling. He reached out for her, and then woke up.

Julius sat up, struggling for breath. His fear and panic was quickly replaced by anger. He pounded the pillow with his fist, swearing. He hated feeling like this, trying to fight this. Even in his sleep, all he dreamt of was waking to her. Why did it still hurt like this? It had been over a week now, and his heart still yearned for Delilah.

"Get a hold of yourself, Chevalier," he muttered to himself. "You can get over this. All you need to do is keep avoiding her."

Still, he knew it was only a matter of time before Al sent them on a mission. And then what? If they became distanced, like he wished, then hopefully nothing. But he'd never known Delilah to be passive and give up what she held dear easily. He knew her, and she'd probably fight for their friendship. But, darn it, it was too complicated with her father back. Anyone would have to be blind to see that Phineas didn't approve of Julius, and would rather his daughter stayed clear of him. Soon, he'd probably go to Al and request a partner change. Hopefully, Al would deny him. Or would it just be better if they were split up?

Julius groaned, rolling over. He knew that leaving Delilah would break his heart beyond repair, and he'd probably never see her again. Well, he'd see her, but only in passing. Maybe that would be best for the once great team. A nice clean break, like they had never been friends. Perhaps, in time, they'd even forget about each other.

Please, a small voice in his head said. Do you actually expect her to just forget about you?

He sighed. Of course they could never forget about each other. They'd been through too much together, which was why this whole distance thing was so hard. But he had to try and make it easier on her. He had to keep avoiding her.

-------------------------------------------------------------

It had been nine days since Delilah had last spoken with her partner, and her patience had worn out. She knew Al had to send them on a mission soon (I mean, with Ursula and Emmet in charge of things? Please.), but it had been too long. Her depression and worry had been replaced by anger and annoyance. How could he just stop talking to her?

Finally, one night, she decided enough was enough. Sneaking out of her room, she slipped silently down to Julius' room. She didn't even bother to knock on his door, and just charged in. Her partner sat bolt upright in bed, startled. When he saw it was her, his shocked expression changed quickly to a frown.

"What are you doing in here?" he asked.

She hated the way that he said "you", as if it was a foul word. "I'm here to talk to you, Julius, seeing as you're too chicken to even make an effort."

He had lain back down, with shadows covering his face; she couldn't read his expression. "What makes you think that I want to talk to you?"

"Gee, I dunno. Maybe because we're partners? Friends? And don't give me crap about how things change, because after eleven years of friendship, you don't just wake up one day and decide you don't like the person anymore."

Julius sighed angrily. "Maybe that's what did happen, Delilah? Ever think about that?"

"Julius, don't even /try/. I know what this is about. It's about my dad coming home."

He was silent for a moment, and she knew she was right. "Delilah, don't talk about him," he said quietly. "I'm so sick of hearing about him! I walk down the halls, and all anyone can talk about is how pleased and happy they are that the great Phineas Devonshire has returned, and how joyful you must be, and why is her partner being such a dick? I'm sick and tired of it!"

Delilah couldn't control the anger that welled up inside her. "Well you are being a dick, Julius! You should be happy for me. If this happened to you, I'd be happy. I wouldn't be such a stubborn, arrogant little prat if your parents came home!"

"But they won't, will they?" he roared. "They can't! And do you know why? Because they're dead! They died taking down the bad guy, and that's honourable. But your dad? He ran away. The finger was pointed at him, and he skipped town. If you ask me, your dad's a coward."

There was a second of shocked silence before Delilah exploded. "You lying little bastard! How dare you say that about my father! If you ask me, Julius Chevalier, you're the coward! You're the one who lets jealousy ruin a lifetime friendship! But heck, if that's the way you want it, fine by me! Because I'm through with you."

She turned on her heels and stormed out of the room. As she slammed the door behind her, Julius tried to fight the tears of agony that came to his eyes. Why had he said such terrible things to her? He was hiding behind his feelings, and he realized he was slowly losing her.



I hate feeling like this
I'm so tired of trying to fight this
I'm asleep and all I dream of
Is waking to you
Tell me that you will listen
Your touch is what I'm missing
And the more I hide I realize I'm slowly losing you

"Comatose" by Skillet
Sign up to rate and review this story