Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Times Square Can't Shine As Bright As You

fairy tales don't always have a happy ending, do they?

by lil_chica007 4 reviews

When William Beckett's 'long lost' twin sister returns, the guys from Fall Out Boy take her under their collective wing when no one else knows what to do with her. And Pete makes a connection, as ...

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Published: 2007-07-22 - Updated: 2007-07-23 - 1152 words - Complete

1Moving
just a warning, this chapter's kind of sad. We finally learn what happened to Haley that made her try to kill herself. And this chapter's title came from Fergie's Big Girls Don't Cry. I don't really like the song that much, but the lyrics are really pretty.


Haley was in her new therapist's office, staring down the woman sitting in front of her. William had come along for support and was seated next to her on the couch. Haley, wearing bright red skinny jeans and a leopard print t-shirt, was in stark contrast with the beige office. The carpet, the furniture, even the therapist's outfit was beige.
"Miss Beckett, do you want to tell me what happened?"
"I tried to kill myself."
"Do you want to tell me why?"
"Because I wanted to die." She smiled sarcastically.
"Hales, can't you take this seriously?" William said from next to her. She looked over at him and sighed.
"When I was 15, I went into the city with my friend to go to a concert. I met a modeling scout and wound up moving to France with my aunt Kim, to chaperone me. I started hanging out with a lot of models who were a lot older than me, they got me drinking and smoking, and doing all kinds of stuff." She gulped and looked down at her hands.
"What kind of stuff?" the therapist made a note on her clipboard and glanced up at William.
"I started throwing up. Then I got successful, and all the people I thought were my friends started talking about me behind my back."
"What kinds of things did they say?"
"They said I was a novelty. That I would be old news by the next season. They said I was too short. But, you know, Kate Moss is the exact same height as me." She laughed, and her eyes started to tear up. "I still don't know who, but someone started a rumor that I only got the high profile runway shows and magazine spreads that I did because Kim screwed the right people. Then I was old enough that I didn't need Kim there anymore, so she came home. And people started saying that I was sleeping around to get jobs. So I started sleeping around." She inhaled a shaky breath. "I was working 18 hour days, 7 days a week. I was still too young and ambitious when Kim wasn't there to tell my agents and the photographers that I needed a break. I wanted to please everybody. So I started popping pills. I took Adderall to keep me awake and Ambien to knock me out when I actually had time to sleep." By now she was crying. William leaned forward and grabbed her shaking hand, squeezing it reassuringly. "Then I moved to New York. I had to leave the country to escape the rumors. I started going out with Bill's friend, Gabe. It was going pretty good for a while, I stopped taking the pills, and I moved in with Gabe-well I lived on his couch. I had never been by myself, and was too scared to live alone. Everyone assumed we lived together though, you know? Like for real. Like adults." The therapist nodded.
"Go on..."
"So, all of a sudden he starts talking about finding a new apartment, and actually moving in together. And it all got too real. I had a photo shoot in Tokyo, and I never came home. I just...panicked. For all I know, he still has all my stuff in his apartment."
"What happened in Tokyo?"
"I don't know. It just got too much to handle. I was living in a hotel. I started doing drugs again and I was drunk almost every day. My manager told me I wasn't pretty enough. He made me think I wasn't thin enough, that other girls would get the jobs that I was up for. He...did things to me. Touched me. I started making myself throw up again, but I only puked up the pills. So I started doing cocaine. I don't know why people kept hiring me. And then last week, someone stole a whole bunch of my things from my hotel room. And this sex tape I made with Gabe, like a year ago wound up on the internet." She started sobbing, "I just couldn't handle it. I snapped. The next thing I knew, I was sitting in the middle of the floor in a pool of my own blood." William reached over and hugged her, his eyes watering too.
"Well Miss Beckett, Haley, it's good to get all that off your chest. I think that's enough for today." She handed her a tissue. "I'm going to refer you to a treatment center for your addictions. You'll have to stay there, but it's only a month. And I want you to see a nutritionist. And I'm going to suggest you come talk to me twice a week. Does that sound ok?" Haley nodded. The therapist wrote some names and phone numbers on a sheet of paper and handed it to Haley as she walked towards the door.
"Dr. Richards, Haley's been staying with me and I'm leaving on tour in a few days. I won't be back before she gets out of the hospital. Do you think it's ok for her to be by herself, or should she go stay with our parents?" William asked, glancing back at Haley, standing by the door shuffling her feet. She looked so small and innocent, despite what she'd been through.
"She'll be fine. Between all the doctors, she'll be in contact with someone almost every day, so we'll know if she does anything. But if she has a friend that can stop by every once in a while, just to check in, it would be helpful."
"I'll see what I can do."
"Good."

Haley and William were in the elevator riding down from the therapist's office not saying a word, each staring at their feet.
"I'm sorry I wasn't there for you." William said, breaking the silence. He looked up at her reflection in the elevator door. "Why didn't you tell me how bad it was. I would have done something."
"I didn't want you to know how fucked up I was." Haley said meeting his eyes in the reflection. William noticed for the first time how young and naïve his sister was under this brave face. There was an innocence in her eyes, that showed it was all an act. She was just a little girl who'd had to grow up too fast.


Please review. Even if it's to say that you hated it, a review is a review.


The next chapter will be happy again, and feature more of Fall Out Boy, and especially Pete. They haven't been in it much yet, but that'll change in the next few chapters.
Sign up to rate and review this story