Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Broken Down On Memory Lane

Twenty Two - No One Else Can Touch Us.

by punkypromqueen 3 reviews

It's hard trying to get it right, i'm worried about how this tunred out.

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Published: 2007-07-24 - Updated: 2007-07-25 - 3977 words - Complete

0Moving
It was the third ring of the house phone that startled Patrick out of the deep sleep he had fallen into not more then 2 hours earlier. He groaned annoyed while burying his head further into his pillow as he stretched before forcing himself up out of the bed, cursing at himself for not hooking up the phone in his bedroom. Immediately he winced as the chill from the hardwood floors made contact with the bottom of his feet but continued to shuffle towards the ringing that was still echoing throughout the house, apparently Kate didn't believe in answering machines. Finally entering the kitchen he reached for the phone and mumbled a 'hello' into the receiver.

"Hello, this is Rita from Dr. Lang's office for Kate Wentz." The receptionists voice was far to perky for Patrick's liking and he sighed in response before realizing that he had no idea what this woman had just said.

"I'm sorry, what?" He questioned into the phone while rubbing his eyes urging for them to focus on the microwave clock.

"This is Rita from Dr. Lang's office calling to inform Kate Wentz that her prescriptions have been filled." She repeated a little less friendly, a tone of annoyance in her voice for having to repeat herself.

"What prescriptions?" Patrick was confused, it wasn't ridiculously early but the fact that the didn't get home from the hospital until 7 am was taking it's toll on him.

"I'm afraid I can only give that information out to - "

"I'm her husband." He cut her off quickly, "And she's, ugh, unavailable at the moment."

"Oh well her prescriptions for Zoloft and Atavan of course." The receptionist yawned into the phone and Patrick stopped himself from scoffing. Yes he was happy that it didn't take a lot to get the information he wanted but apparently the doctor patient confidentiality at this office was a joke.

"I really think you have the wrong number." Patrick replied while leaning up against the kitchen counter, "Are you sure that those aren't for a Peter Wentz?"

"Uhm, nope." She spat into the phone while holding back a laugh, "It says Kate Wentz, Kate not Pete, and if you could just leave her a message that would be wonderful. Thank you, have a great day."

Patrick went to speak again but was only greeted with the dial tone.
"Have a nice day." He replied sarcastically to the phone as he hung up his line, before ruffling his hair in confusion.
Surely they had the wrong number or maybe the files got mixed up. Either way he trudged tiredly up the steps to wake Kate up, she needed to start getting ready for the interview and maybe at the same time he could get some answers.

Patrick called out her name groggily as he walked into her room without bothering to knock but she wasn't there. He groaned frustrated, apparently he couldn't just have an easy morning.
He shuffled towards the bed and took a seat.
The room was of course spotless and though Kate was notorious for always making her bed he was almost positive that it had not been slept in it.
There was however an opened script laying on the nightstand, he glanced at it curiously before flipping it closed, making sure to keep her page marked, as he checked what it was.
Hairspray.
Patrick raised his eyebrows inquisitively, interesting choice.
He scratched his head again as he sighed deeply, he really wasn't feeling like looking though the entire house for her but fortunately for him a very loud laugh radiated from the hallway followed by a

/ 'Yo I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want.'/

He smirked slightly before getting up and following the sound of Spice Girls, walking down the hallway until he reached the last room that he quickly found out was an in home gym.
Kate was running on a treadmill at a much faster pace then he thought she was capable of while singing along and bobbing her head along with the extremely catchy 'Wannabe' melody. She waved slightly once she noticed him standing there and he waved in return before gesturing for her to lower the volume slightly. Kate rolled her eyes but obliged.

"Sleep much?" Patrick questioned curiously while crossing his arms over his chest remembering instantly that he wasn't wearing a shirt.

"No, not much." She replied in between heavy breaths, "What's the point when I just had to get up in two hours anyway?"

He nodded slightly while thinking of the best way to put his next sentence.
"The doctor's office called for you." That seemed like a safe jumping off point.

"Oh?" Kate questioned while pushing a few buttons on the machine increasing the speed.

"Yeah."

"I'm sorry did they wake you up?" She frowned showing concern for his lack of sleep.

"Nah I was already awake." Patrick lied causing Kate to roll her eyes, but he was beyond distracted as he watched her run, "Is that safe? Like doesn't that bother your lungs?"

"No."

"Oh ok. Atavan and Zoloft Kate?" He practically yelled but his sudden subject change caused her to laugh out loud.

"I'm sorry." The brunette apologized while stifling her laugh once she noticed that he was frowning. "The doctor said that it was what was best." She explained with a shrug, "Besides no one likes a party pooper."

"No one likes a party pooper?" Patrick scoffed, surely she was joking. "Kate, c'mon you can't keep everything bottled all inside, talk to me!"

"I'm fine. Just leave it alone Patrick." Kate warned while hitting the 'cool down' button and slowing down her speed.

"You are not ok." He sighed, "You drink - "

"Just leave it." She growled cutting him off, "I'm fine."

"Fine." He nodded, "Fine, I'll leave it alone. We've got to leave in 40 minutes if we want to get there in time." He replied nonchalantly while walking out of the room. Kate nodded in understanding while placing her hands on her head as she walked along on the machine. She waited momentarily fully expecting him to burst back through the doors and was thoroughly surprised when he didn't. Maybe she had won that one.

Patrick mumbled profanities under his breath as he quickly made his way down the stairs and immediately over to the bar.
"Leave it alone she says, well fine I'll leave it alone." He spoke to himself as he grabbed bottle after bottle. He unscrewed each of them and poured them into the sink before placing them back exactly where he had found them, doing this until the bar was completely wiped out.
"Let's just see how fine your Mommy is when she realizes that there is no more liquor." Patrick replied to the dog that barked a response after realizing that Patrick was talking to him and not still speaking to himself.

...

"Kate lets go!" Patrick yelled up the staircase while glancing at his watch. They were going to be late.

Kate fumbled clumsily out of her master bedroom seconds later as she attempted to put on her shoe and walk at the same time.
"Oh no, it's like 80 degrees outside Patrick." She moaned as she finally grew frustrated enough to stop to put on her shoe.

"Whatever who cares?" He responded with a roll of his eyes as he protectively stuck his hands inside of his hoodie pockets. "But if we're going to play that game, you planning on dethroning Marilyn Monroe today?"

"If the right gust of wind comes along then sure why not." Kate replied nonchalantly as she descended down the stairs, "But I don't see how that's a bad thing, so you loose that one sweetie." She smacked his cheek lightly in gesture before walking out the front door.

"As if winning with you was even an option anymore." Patrick mumbled while grabbing his car keys and shutting the door behind him.

The two rode in silence as Kate read the script he had found on her desk and Patrick weaved in and out of the L.A. traffic. There actually wasn't any noise until Kate finally cleared her throat as she rummaged through her oversized purse before pulling out an unmarked CD.
"Without Love or You Can't Stop the Beat?" She questioned while reading the piece of paper that accompanied the CD.

"Uhm," He eyed her carefully unsure of which one he would regret less.

"Without Love it is then." Kate replied while pushing in the CD and turning to the right track.

The song flooded through the speakers silencing the two back into submission. However only after a few minutes of show tunes Patrick lowered the volume and turned to look at her.
"Kate?"

"What?"

"This interview that we're going to is about what exactly?" He questioned her nervously as he gripped the steering wheel tighter waiting for the light to change.

"Our relationship I suppose." She responded while glancing out the window at the traffic.

"What about out relationship? Will I have to talk about -" Patrick could suddenly feel himself begin to sweat and he shifted uncomfortably in the drivers seat as he allowed her to cut him off.

"Yeah you're probably going to have to talk about it Patrick." Kate sighed while glancing at him quickly before fixing the strap of her dress to cover up the scar on her chest, immediately feeling self-conscious.
"It's not a big deal, I do it all the time." She gently placed her hand over his as it rested on the gearshift.

"It's a big deal to me Kate." Patrick sighed frustrated before bringing a hand to cover his face already getting worked up over a question that hadn't of been asked yet. "You couldn't possibly understand you weren't there." She laughed sarcastically as he tried to backtrack, "I mean you were there but you were unconscious, I was there - I was there." He choked out before gripping the steering wheel with both hands once more.

"You'll do fine. It probably won't be a lot about what happened, just relax." Kate rested her head on the headrest as she turned to look at him.

"What kind of shit do you think they're going to ask then?" Patrick glanced quickly at her before returning his gaze to the traffic.

"Shit you already know." She replied smugly with a smile before she once again looked out the window. "We'll wing it, just relax."

"The more you tell me to relax, the more stressed out I'm getting." He groaned while tightening his grip on the steering wheel as he put on his blinker.

"I'm sorry." The brunette apologized, "But there is nothing to be stressed out about, you've done a zillion interviews, this is just one more."

"This isn't the same. I'm a musician Kate, I make music, I talk about music. Pete does interviews about personal shit, I make music."

"Patrick." She sighed while looking at him sternly.

"Can't I just drop you off, I mean you're good at this. You're just like Pete." Patrick pleaded with his eyes as he turned to look at her, surprised to see her frowning at him.

"I am NOT like my brother." She scoffed hastily while crossing her arms over her chest, taking obvious offense at the comparison, her animosity towards Pete was still fresh.

"That's not what I meant and you know it." He replied while gripping her elbow gently, "It's just, I don't see the point in selling this and I'm a really bad liar."

"We have to make it seem real Patrick, we do this one interview and we're done." She glanced out the window as he pulled up to the curb.
"As for the lying thing, just don't lie."
Kate leaned over the center console as she caressed his face lightly.
"You'll be fine, just relax." She whispered in his ear before kissing his cheek lightly and stepping out of the car and onto the curb.

She waited as he stepped out of the car and handed the keys awkwardly to the valet before walking around the car and immediately taking her hand. It was so natural that the paparazzi parked outside of The Ivy couldn't even question the validly of their relationship. If you wanted to be seen The Ivy was the place to do it. Paparazzi were always camped out at the unassuming bistro where celebrities were spotted day in and day out. This was not the place to go for privacy and that was the exact reason they had chosen it. They needed to make the world believe in their union and inviting a reporter from People magazine was just killing two birds with one stone.

"Kate, Patrick it's so great to finally meet you both. I'm Joanna Suchef the reporter who'll be interviewing you." She shook Kate's and then Patrick's hand.

Patrick took a seat next to Kate as Joanna got comfortable across from them while switching on her tape recorder and flipping open her notebook.
"So how exactly did you guys meet?" The reporter questioned wide-eyed before taking a large sip from her iced tea she had previously ordered.

"Wow." Kate laughed while fidgeting slightly in her seat as Patrick wrapped an arm around her shoulder, "That was a really long time ago."

"Joe brought me over to meet Pete for the band and Kate was there being distracting." Patrick smiled at the memory before looking at Kate. He could feel her relax while she placed a hand on her chest mocking shock.

"I was NOT being distracting." She huffed before turning her face in gesture smiling as she did so. "I wasn't." Kate defended while watching the reporter stifle a laugh, "I mean, it's not my fault that I was forced outside to judge the talent of the boy in an argyle sweater and shorts. Together mind you, in one outfit." She gestured to her clothes insinuating the ridiculous outfit he had been wearing.

"No Patrick? That's not true is it?" The blonde gasped in between laughs while placing a hand on her chest to steady herself.

"I don't recall." Patrick shrugged while ripping straw covers into pieces as averted his gaze. "You know what, that was an a amazing sweater." He spoke up, giving credibility to Kate's statement. The girls giggled as he rolled his eyes.

"Ok so, we know how it started, but how did this happen?" Joanne pointed in between the couple commenting only in gesture towards the marriage.

"Uhm, it just kind of did." Patrick commented as Kate nodded to agree.

Joanne looked perplexed. "We all know you guys dated for a pretty lengthy amount of time in the past and you guys were on tour together but were you even in a relationship before your wedding night? We're you secretly seeing each other or was it just kind of an 'oops we're married' situation?"

Kate smiled politely while averting her gaze from the reporter, she glanced at her lap before looking over at Patrick who sat quietly watching her.
"Our feelings for each other have never really been a secret Ms. Suchef, this has been a long time coming."

"So the wedding, it was planned?" Suchef continued.

"Not at all. I was just in the right place at the right time." Patrick joked and right on cue Kate playfully swatted his chest. "But no, seriously," He continued, "It was completely spontaneous."

"Patrick," Joanna paused to write in her notebook, "It's just curious that you would choose to ask now and not before. You were so close to loosing her after the 'accident.'"

"It wasn't an accident." He immediately replied growing defensive as he sat up straight in the chair. Kate gripped his hand with both of hers as she gently squeezed, she kissed his lips lightly knowing full well that Ms. Suchef was writing their actions along with their words.

"You're fine." She whispered and he nodded, calming slightly.

"It wasn't the right time before, everything about that situation was just wrong. It's hard to explain." Patrick sighed knowing that no matter how much he tried he could never explain the feelings he was trying to get across. "I blamed myself for what happened for a long time, I still kind of do, but before I was scared to let myself be with her and now she's convinced me that I don't have to be."

Both Kate and Joanne looked at him surprised. Ms. Suchef was surprised that he had been so honest, Kate on the other hand was completely shocked, the only time she had ever heard him even speak of this incident was on the witness stand. She also contemplated the vitality of his statement; the words flew so freely out of his mouth. Either it was the truth or he wasn't as bad of a liar as he thought he was.

"Life has basically thrown all it has at us, and we just give it the finger and move on." Kate added as she leaned into Patrick, "He's my comfort."

...

"Tell me why I should help you?" Patrick responded into the phone later that night as he sat at the edge of his bed. He took off his socks one foot at a time as he only half listened to Pete's plea, he would help Pete regardless but he felt it necessary to at least hear how wrong his best friend knew he was.
"Whatever Pete, you know where the key is. Uhm yeah," Patrick paused as he heard the rather violent clanging of the empty alcohol bottles, "Yes I'm sure. I've got to go." He hung up the phone and stood up; surely she was going to be in there any minute to kick his ass.
So he waited and waited and . . . waited some more.
He hadn't of noticed when he had sat back down on the bed. His eyelids grew heavy, the sudden realization of how truly exhausted he was hitting him. Patrick instinctively laid down and pulled the covers to his chin, there was no harm in resting his eyes for a few minutes. Inevitably however, as soon as his head hit the pillow he fell into a broken sleep.

Kate knew it had been him that cleaned out her bar, she wasn't stupid, and though she felt the entirely correct urge to yell and scream the only thing she could manage to do was curl up on the floor and sob. She couldn't escape her mind tonight. Drinking was a distraction from the silence and darkness, the pain, but now that was all she was left with.
After what felt like an eternity Kate got up off the cold floor, the sober hours feeling as if they had passed like days. Her legs were too weak to support her weight at first and she wobbled down the hallway, God knows how long she had been there crying, feeling sorry for herself.
She realized that it would be so easy to just get in the car and go get some more alcohol, but she knew that wasn't an option, not tonight, not anymore.
But Kate still wanted the escape she craved it, needed it.

Patrick awoke from his sleep confused and slightly annoyed with the fact that he had 'Rock-A-Bye Baby' stuck in his head. It wasn't until he heard the familiar melody radiating from the piano down the hall that the correlation made sense.

"Kate what are you doing?" His voice startled her out of her thoughts, she hadn't of heard him enter the room.

Fuck she thought, wiping at her tear stricken face.
"I'm sorry did I wake you?" She tried her best to sound apologetic, but only managed to sound tired.

"It's dark in here." Patrick pointed out as he entered further into the room, "But I can still tell that you're crying."

"Can you please just . . ." Kate paused to inhale deeply, "Just leave me alone."

"Nah." He responded softly, drawing closer still. He sat next to her on the piano bench, close enough that their thighs touched. He played a few notes on the piano, letting his fingers graze over the keys gracefully before turning to look at her. "What's wrong?"

"You know," Kate started with a sniffle before breaking into a smile, "I was never going to name her Joe."

"Her?" Patrick interjected solemnly, coming to the realization that he had almost had a daughter.

She nodded wile lazily touching the piano keys creating a soft melody.
"And though she was just a little blurb on a machine, I knew she was perfect."

Patrick let himself look away as his face fell.
"It just wasn't the right time," He barely managed to whisper, "When it's the right time it'll happen for us, or uhm, for you." He closed his eyes and sighed, he hadn't of meant to say that.

"No it won't." She choked out while bringing her hand to cover her mouth in attempt to stifle the sobs.

"Shh." Patrick rubbed her back trying to soothe her, "yes it will. You'll find the right guy and everything will be the right time." It pained him to even say something like that, to even think about her having kids with someone besides him.

"No shut up." Kate raised her voice slightly while scooting as far away from him as she could manage on the small piano bench. He reached for her to pull her close to him but she wiggled out of his grasp. "That's not the way it works."

"Of course it is Kate." He scooted until he was once again next to her, "You can't keep doing this to yourself -"

"I can't have kids Patrick." She cut him off abruptly before covering her mouth in surprise it was horrifying to finally say it out loud.

"What?" Patrick stared at her confused, "But you were pregnant, wait, what?" He shook his head in disbelief.

"The doctors told me," Kate paused to inhale deeply as she tried to steady her voice, "that carrying a baby past 20 weeks was practically impossible for me."

"I don't understand." He frowned still unwilling to believe the facts.

She didn't say anything but only lifted up the bottom of her shirt slightly, the moonlight shining through the window reflected off of her skin allowing him to see the scar that was on her abdomen. Kate grabbed his hand softly before placing it on top of the scar.
"There is too much scar tissue." She shrugged faking a nonchalant attitude that was ruined by the tears cascading down her face.

Patrick immediately removed his hand from her stomach as he covered his face. He sat silently for a moment, his eyes watered slightly but he fought it not allowing himself to cry. Kate could only stare as she watched him and then suddenly he embraced her hard, pulling her towards him as he buried his hands in her hair and hid his face in the crook of her neck.

"But you have to know that I'd only have kids with you." She whispered as she wrapped her arms around him, holding him close.

"I am so sorry." Patrick managed to say while finally looking at her. Stroking her face gently, he gradually brought his lips to hers in a sweet tender kiss that left them both breathless. After their lips parted ever so slowly, their eyes opened to find the other's staring back.
Nothing else seemed to exist as they desperately tried to understand the feelings that were swirling inside them. In that one simple kiss, they had never wanted the other more and yet, had never been more terrified of the other. It wasn't just lust that was overtaking them, but something real, something they had never felt with anyone else and something that was completely out of their control.
Sign up to rate and review this story