Categories > TV > Bones > Some Bones to Pick

A Discussion

by StormO 0 reviews

Booth's present girlfriend, Tessa, has a few things she wants to talk to Booth about.

Category: Bones - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Romance - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2005-12-20 - Updated: 2005-12-21 - 960 words

0Unrated
Disclaimers: I do not own nor make a profit from this. Rightful owners are Josephson Entertainment and Far Field Productions in association with 20th Century Fox Television.

Author's Notes: Contains references to "The Man in the SUV" and "The Boy in the Tree".


A Discussion

Tessa looked up from her breakfast, staring dreamily, if not a bit possessively, at the striking man, sitting across the table from her. She licked her lips and cleared her throat. "See, I've been thinking. How about I start spending more time over here? Like...mmm...nightly. I could just, you know, move in."

Caught off guard, Seeley reached for his glass of orange juice to take a swig - or two - before he met her gaze. "Move in? Honey, I thought this conversation would be one that we'd have somewhere other than at the breakfast table. Why do you bring this up now?"

Tessa toyed with a strand of her curly blonde hair. "Well, last night was so wonderful, and I enjoy cooking for you. It just seems silly for us to have two separate residences when we could just live in one. My lease is up at the end of next month, and I figured this would be a perfect time." She paused and stuck her lower lip out, feigning a pout. "Don't you want to live together?"

Shaking his head, he leaned back in his chair. "It's not that, Tess. This is just rather sudden. You only stay over a few nights during the week. And with my work schedule, sometimes I don't get home until late and have to leave at the crack of dawn the next morning."

She wanted to scream, /"Excuses!"/, but instead she grumbled, "Oh. So, you don't want me to move in? You know we have to start someplace."

"I didn't say that," Seeley refuted. "I just don't think this is the right time for you to move in permanently."

"Still that selfish bachelor?" she snidely remarked, looking back down at her half-eaten French toast.

"I like my space. We've had this conversation before, Tessa," Seeley pointed out, gathering his fork and plate and carrying them to the dishwasher. "If you want to come over an extra night during the week, that's fine with me, but I'd rather not jump to living together just yet."

He gulped as he heard his spoken words. He had lived with an ex before, and all they had done was fight because he was never home. He liked what he had now. Two nights a week, Tessa showed up for some companionship. The rest of the week was his although he was usually buried in his work and rarely enjoyed a quiet night to himself. Too many cases, not enough free time. On many occasions when Tessa was supposed to spend the night, he had ended up calling her from the office or the road to tell her that he wouldn't be home until late. She had never really nagged him, but he could hear the disappointment in her voice.

Seeley also had some conflicted thoughts. Thoughts that a man with a girlfriend, who wanted to move in with him, should not be having. He knew he had to remedy his nagging desires for Temperance before he took the next step with Tessa. He remembered how uncomfortable the forensic anthropologist looked when she saw Tessa at his home for the first time. He had wished desperately that that meeting had never happened. Not only because Temperance continuously brought up Tessa's name, but also he felt like he was being forced to confront the budding feelings he kept having for Temperance the longer he worked with her. Tessa had also become his second shadow when they were together, and now, she wanted to move in.

Tessa watched him, noticing how rigidly straight his back was as the FBI agent placed the dishes from their breakfast into the dishwasher and cleaned up the counters. She knew that stance, and she knew that she had pushed far enough...for now at least. "Okay, See. I'll take what I can get," she mumbled, acting dejected and shoving her jealous insecurities away. For now, she was with him; no one could change that. Grabbing her plate, she carried it to the sink and emptied her remaining few bites of French toast.

Seeley turned to face her. She was beautiful, but was he only interested in beauty now? Temperance Brennan was beautiful in her own quirky way, but that beauty wasn't what attracted him to her. Trying to sort through his thoughts about the women in his life, he curved his arms around the blonde lawyer and pulled her against his chest. "Thank you. I hope you understand. I look forward to our extra night together," he revealed.

"Me too." She smiled and stood on her tiptoes to kiss his lips. "You better get ready for work. I'll finish cleaning up this mess." She waved a dismissive hand at the remaining breakfast dishes.

Seeley glanced at the digital clock and nodded. "Thanks, Tess. We can talk about this again." He didn't know why he brought the subject back up again. Probably, because he knew he was sounding like a selfish child. He quickly added, "Later."

Tessa smiled cunningly. "We will, but I won't push it," she lied. She knew when to broach the subject again. The next night she spent with him, she'd wait until the moment when their hearts were still thudding in their chests and they were holding each other closely. She broke away from the hug and watched Seeley walk towards the bedroom. "May the best woman win," she muttered knowingly under her breath, turning back to the dishwasher and finishing loading the dirty dishes.
Sign up to rate and review this story