Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Agena

Chapter 06 – Friendship – Year 1

by JErosion 0 reviews

Under the ever watchful eye of Professor Dumbledore, the Last Heir of Slytherin walks the halls of Hogwarts.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Harry,Hermione,Snape - Warnings: [!] [?] - Published: 2007-08-25 - Updated: 2007-08-26 - 5982 words

0Unrated
Agena




JErosion




Chapter 06 – Friendship – Year 1




Agena stepped out into one of the many courtyards that surrounded Hogwarts. It was early enough that the sun was little more than a dusty red-orange ball on the horizon. Despite the beckoning call of breakfast, she had only seen a few other children meandering about that morning. Given that it was Sunday, few students, no matter how dedicated they were, couldn't pass up the opportunity to sleep in.




That was one of the reasons why she was walking alone this morning. Daphne had stayed up late the night before trying to finish an essay for History of Magic. Agena wasn't entirely sure when her roommate had gone to bed. But when she woke up, she had to fight the urge to laugh. Daphne was curled up into a tight ball, poised hazardously on the edge of her mattress. Her position guaranteed, that if she made just the slightest movements she was bound to go tumbling onto the floor.




Despite that, Agena just didn't have the heart to wake her. Besides she was going to need her rest. Since they didn't have classes any classes on Sunday, it was the perfect time to catch up on homework. And Daphne despite her best efforts was starting to fall behind. Agena was finding some of her extra time helping her catch up.




Agena was finding that she really didn't have any difficulties with any of her classes. In her Charms and Transfiguration classes, if she didn't get the spell the first time, she was often able to succeed during her subsequent attempts. Her other classes like History of Magic and Herbology was mostly about memorization. And as for Astronomy, no descendant of the House of Black would dare due poorly in that subject. And it turned out that the better you did in your classes, the less likely you were going to be assigned extra homework.




Not having to deal with the extra essays, she was left with ample time to look into those books that Hollis had recommended. Considering how disappointing she found her Defense Against the Dark Arts class to be, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to do some outside reading. Daphne even helped, once she got through her homework. She was particularly fond of one jinx that caused it's target to double over in fits of laughter.




Agena passed though a large stone archway, and onto the school's grounds. Shadowed against the foggy edge of the forest was a small house. That had to be Hagrid's place. It was just as Nymphadora had described it, a small hut with a large pumpkin patch in back of it. There was athin stream of smoke rising from it's chimney, but there were no visible lights in any of the windows though. It was possible that Hagrid was having a bit of a lie-in too. If it had been later in the day, she might have been tempted to go over and say hello. Then again, she didn't really know the man that well. So it might not be agood idea to go knocking on someone's door when you have no idea what kind of reception they might get. Maybe she would visit him sometime later in the year, when it wasn't early on a Sunday morning.




She turned north and started towards a tall structure that sat perched atop of a steep and rocky hill. It her hand she held an envelope. It was only the second letter that she written home. The first she had sent, was fairly short. In it she just mentioned the identity of her roommate was, as well as who some of her other housemates were. Sad to say, she had to disappoint Nymphadora. Her cousin had been so sure that she was going to be placed in Gryffindor. But no, it was Aunt Andromeda had guessed right. But...




Agena's mind returned to that thing the Sorting Hat had told her. All heirs must return to their house. Was it possible, that her Aunt already knew? Or did she guess that she would be sent to Slytherin because she was a parselmouth. She had been wanting to talk to Professor Dumbledore about it, but she really didn't a clue on how to go about doing that. Aside from his appearances at meal times, she hadn't seen walking though the halls. She could always try to see him while he was in his office. But there were several problems with that.




She didn't know if she needed to set an appointment. Or if she could just walk up to his door and knock. And that brought up another problem, she had no idea where his office was. She could ask one of the prefects or a teachers, but that would only provoke questions.




She shuddered at the thought of asking Professor Snape. She knew he wouldn't just give her any assistance. He would want to know exactly why she wanted to see Professor Dumbledore. And in all honesty from what she had seen of the man, she didn't want to tell him a thing.




'Excuse me. Professor Snape, I think I need to speak to Professor Dumbledore right away. The Sorting Hat said I was an Heir of one the Four Founders, and I want to know what he'd think about it.'




Agena shuddered. There was no way in hell she was going to tell him that. And without a satisfactory reason there was no way he would help her. She could certain imagine what his response would be.




Unless you can tell me a good reason as to why you need to see the Headmaster. I suggest you forget about it. Neither myself, nor Professor Dumbledore have time to cater to the foolish needs of some child.”




She sighed. She'd figure something out eventually. Something that hopefully didn't involve Professor Snape. Honestly she wasn't sure what to think of the man. She learned a few things about him during her first class with him. She glanced down at her letter that she held. In hindsight she may have gone a little overboard in her writing. But she had about three weeks worth of events to tell her family about and she really didn't want to leave anything out.




She had a few questions that she had wanted to ask Nymphadora, concerning some of the Professors. And there was one other thing. Something that would give her the ability to gloat over her cousin. Because there was someone in her Potions class that she knew that Nymphadora would love to meet. Of coarse she hadn't had the opportunity to introduce herself to him yet.




Potions was sort of special. The classroom, like their dorms, was located down in the dungeons. It wasn't the brightest nor was it one of the most cheeriest places in the castle. But the dungeons were aSlytherin's best friend. Given the labyrinth like corridors of the school above them, being able to navigate the dungeons was essential if you wanted to get to your classes on time.




The same was true if you were a Hufflepuff. Their common room was supposed to be some place in the lower levels of the castle as well. Hollis had mentioned that their common room was behind a large tapestry that was not too far from the kitchens. Not that it mattered too much, considering that she didn't know where the kitchens were yet. She was doing pretty good, just knowing how to get to her classes. By her reckoning, after another week or two she'd have the general layout of the school memorized.




Which was an absolute must, considering the wanderings of that awful man, Mr. Filch. It was bad enough that he had his office down in the dungeons. He was suppose to be some sort of caretaker. However the only things she had ever seen him do was flail around a mop, and accuse students of misbehaving. She had to run past him earlier this morning. Fortunately he seemed preoccupied and distracted enough that he did pay her any heed. He was muttering in a disappointed fashion to that dust-rag of a cat that followed him everywhere.




Students out of bed... We'll catch them next time, my sweet... Oh, how I wish the headmaster would let me use the old punishments. I'd have the whole lot of them locked-up in shackles.”




Her passing didn't escape the attention of Filch's cat. But Ms. Norris, only paused for a second before continuing to follow her master's steps. That cat usually acted as her master's spy, snooping and sulking around castle looking for students that might be breaking any rules, just so she could run off to fetch her master. That cat was a wretched little thing.




Aside from the class's location, Potions was unique in the fact, that it was the only one that they shared with the Gryffindors. In all of her other classes, Slytherin had been paired off with either the Ravenclaws or the Hufflepuffs. So it came as a bit of a pleasant surprise when she first stepped into potion that first Friday to find the other half of the room classroom being filled with students wearing the red and gold of Gryffindor.




Yet she couldn't just walk up to any of them and start talking, at least not in class. It was kind of weird, but it was all part of Slytherin politics. Both her house and Gryffindor had this rivalry thing, that supposedly went back all the way to the days of the founders. Even after a thousand years, students continue the conflict started by their house's namesakes. It was like they were under some sort of strange obligation to do so. Rivalry or not, this class had also given her the opportunity to take a good look at one of the most famous wizards in the world.




Agena had seen him during the sorting, but at the time she wasn't really sure if that was really him or not. He wasn't very tall, and kinda skinny too. His hair was as dark as hers, but unlike hers, his hair flew out in every which direction, like he had been standing outside during a wind storm. He wore large round rimmed glasses. But both his hair and his glasses only served to conceal his two most distinct features. There was his eyes, which were a brilliant emerald green.




But this was Harry Potter, and aside for a pair of pretty eyes, he looked just like a regular boy. A regular boy that looked like there was absolutely nothing special about him. Except for that zig-zagging scar on his forehead. Okay, maybe he wasn't so ordinary. And it was all had to do with that thing that was carved into his forehead. The scar that was a memento of the night, that he saved the wizarding world.




That was kind of a staggering thought. The darkest and most feared wizard of all time, a man so evil he would cast the killing curse on an infant. And when he did, it was rebounded, deflected back upon its caster. And then Voldemort was no more. In a single moment a child that was only a year old, defeated the cruelest and most ruthless wizard of all time. And all he got from it was a scar on his forehead.




She knew the story, everyone in class knew this story. But at the same time, none of them did. None of them truly knew what had happened. The only one who was privy to the full truth was the boy himself. But even then he might not know. He was only an baby at the time. And the tale that she and everyone else grew up with, had probably been embellished more and more with each telling, that there was no way in knowing what was true and what was conjecture. She found that she was curious as what kind of person he was.




Yet she wasn't the only one to effected by the presence of the Boy-Who-Lived. Many of those on the Slytherin side of the room craned their heads up to get a better look at him. But not all looks sent his direction were ones of curiosity. Draco seemed to have already made Harry Potter into his rival. She had overheard Malfoy recounting how the boy had snubbed him by turning down his offer of friendship, in favor of hanging around with ' Weasley Rubbish'.




Professor Snape seemed to have something against the boy as well. It came when he was taking roll call.




“Ah, yes,” he said softly, ”Harry Potter. Our new
Sign up to rate and review this story