Categories > Books > Animorphs > The Progression

CHAPTER 11

by Quillian 0 reviews

Tobias' explanation... and Esplin's return!

Category: Animorphs - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Tobias - Published: 2005-12-28 - Updated: 2005-12-28 - 3505 words

0Unrated
DISCLAIMER: See Ch. 1.

A/N: Okay, hopefully some things should be explained here...

IMPORTANT NOTE! This is the last chapter I'm producing before I go back to college. I imagine my college schedule will be quite busy when I go back, so I don't know when I'll be able to update next!



CHAPTER 11

Tobias

I was cured.

I was no longer a so-called "nothlit" in a hawk's body. I was now a human again, with the power to morph. Not only that, but I now had my own unique Andalite morph, not just one that looked like Ax.

In case you haven't already guessed, I got help from someone in a very high place...

Yup, you guessed it: The Ellimist.

So, now, the next day right after the attack, I was back in my human form, trying to explain to Jake, Marco, Cassie, Ax, even Toby what had happened...



I was in mid-dive, heading into the //Grand Canyon//, when time suddenly froze. Not only that, but now I was suddenly back in my human body.

It took me only a split-second to realize what was going on.

With a sigh, I said, "Okay, Ellimist, I know you're there. Go ahead and show yourself."

He appeared behind me, floating in midair as though standing on some invisible surface. He was in his "old-man look," which made one think of a cross between Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda.

"Hello, Tobias," he told me. "It's been a while... well, for you, anyway."

"Yeah, hi again, but I know you never come by to make small talk. So... what is it this time?"

The Ellimist gave a sigh, as though he were the bearer of bad news. "The Yeerk War... which you and your friends won... was supposed to be the final game between myself and Crayak. However, not only is Crayak restless, but he is also a sore loser, as you might imagine."

Yeah, I could definitely see Crayak throwing a fit over not winning. The Ellimist continued: "However, Crayak has proposed a new game, one to bring finality between myself and him. In other words, a new conflict."

"Great," I muttered. "Well, I know not to shoot the messenger... and let's face it, if I was to shoot you with anything, it wouldn't do anything. So, what else is there to tell me?"

"You undoubtedly remember, Tobias, how I gave you the power to morph but made your hawk body your base form. Here, I give you the opportunity to become human again with the power to morph, as though you never became a /nothlit in the first place."/

"And why would I want to do that?" I said evenly. "I've had my fling with humanity. I'm happier as a hawk."

"I know, Tobias, I know. However, you still play a crucial part in what is to come."

"So? I'll be sure to be there. I have my friends - my uncle - to be with."

"Not if you die first, Tobias."

A jolt ran through my system as I heard those words. "What do you mean by that?" I demanded angrily.

"Tell me, Tobias, how have you been feeling since you returned from your rescue mission?"

I felt a chill run up my spine. I knew what he was referring to...

"Not only has your hawk body been getting old, but it has been ill from being in space so long."

"So? I knew the risks I was taking when I accepted your offer. I wanted to live as a hawk, and if I have to, then I'll die as one. I tried being like any other human - even as an Animorph - and I was miserable. I can't go back."

Here the Ellimist began to chuckle, and soon enough, he was laughing - not cruelly, of course, but with mirth in his voice. "Tobias, you're so much like your father, the warrior Elfangor. He said just about the same thing when I approached him years ago with the choice to return to where he belonged in the Andalite military."

Here, I made no comment, but felt a little proud with the mention to my father.

The time for laughing now long gone, the Ellimist was serious again. "Everything hangs in the balance, Tobias. If you accept my offer, you will become a human again, with the power to morph, and you will still keep all the morphs you have ever acquired, whether as when you were a human or a hawk. But, if you refuse... you will surely die before you can ever be of any help in this new conflict."

I sighed. "And once again, you've posed a proposition which just can't be refused."

The Ellimist gave a sage-like smile. "Oh, and one other thing, Tobias. I will grant you a /special /morph. Your own unique Andalite morph, not just a copy of how your shorm Aximili looks. I daresay it looks how you might look today if you were born an Andalite."

I eyed him for a moment. "This is certainly a lot you're offering me, here. I'm guessing there's a catch."

The Ellimist replaced his smile with a solemn look - a sort of worried look you may never expect to see on such a seemingly invincible being. "I am not allowed to explain the rules or details of the game, Tobias - but you should know full well by now that whenever Crayak is involved, there is /always a catch. And for allowing me to do something of this magnitude, I have allowed Crayak to do something else which he desires to do. All I can do is wish you good luck when you find out for yourself exactly what that was which I have allowed him, if you accept my offer."/

It took me only a moment to decide.

"I accept, Ellimist."

The Ellimist smiled again, and said, "You chose wisely, Tobias."

I felt a surge of - for want of a better word - /power go through me, and after it had gone, the Ellimist told me, "Try and morph an Andalite now, Tobias, and see what happens."/

I did just that, and I could tell right away that this wasn't Ax's body. I looked in a reflective surface which the Ellimist had conjured up for me, and I saw the differences. I indeed looked somewhat like my father Elfangor, but more as though his features were only part of the package.

I said at last.

"You're quite welcome, Tobias. Anyway, I must be off, and you still have that Skrit Na raider to chase down. Farewell, Tobias, and good luck."

As he vanished from this plane of existence, I went back to the console in my new Andalite body...

...and the chase was resumed.



All five of them managed to have the same expressions of shock and concern on their faces, whether they were human, Andalite or Hork-Bajir.

Now, since I was back among human society, I had to set some things in order. Marco had graciously offered me a place at his home until I could find one of my own, I got some new clothes of my own that would fit me, and I had sorts of paperwork to go through, since I was now nineteen years old and no longer a minor.

Oh, that and the fact the government wanted to keep a closer eye on me than I felt was necessary. Oh joy.

It was now a few days after the attack, and we were once again in a meeting between military officers from all over Earth, plus those from the Andalite and Kelbrid militaries. Miraculously, not one of the three species had any casualties in the attack. Probably because the diversionary attack was launched by poorly trained idiots of Controllers, but hey, who was to complain?

For now, the buildings set up for talks and meetings had become a sort of unofficial military base. All of us - human, Andalite, and Kelbrid alike - were all heading back to our own places when it happened.

Somebody had just attacked us. Again.

Instantly, we were all alert and ready to fight as a single Blade ship descended to the ground, flanked by a few Bug fighters. Hork-Bajir-Controllers and Taxxon-Controllers all exited the ships and waited for someone to come out. I couldn't help but get a strange sense of déjà vu as the ship landed...

And then, as if this were some sick, twisted parody of the night we met Elfangor and everything changed, what looked to be an Andalite walked down the ramp.

this Andalite (or Andalite-Controller?) said in a mocking sneer as he descended the ramp. He said it in Alloran's voice, and this evil newcomer even looked like Alloran's twin. Looking into the crowd, I could see the actual Alloran-Semitur-Corrass, and looking back I saw this other "Andalite."

Seeing the real Alloran in the crowd, this intruder said mockingly, our long-time enemy said as he leisurely trotted up to us at a sedate pace.

Now looking and sounding incredibly smug, "Lord" Esplin continued.

As you can imagine, none of us liked hearing this bad news. However, Visser One - sorry, Lord Esplin - was enjoying every moment of this.

Esplin was just about to speak again when suddenly Alloran charged forth, shooting an Andalite shredder many times at his former slaver.

However, with his "Andalite" reflexes, Esplin dodged all the shots, sliced the shredder in two with his tail blade, and brought his tail blade up to Alloran's throat. Esplin said with a cruel laugh.

And with that, he began to change.

Esplin's "Andalite" morph grew about a foot. His metallic blue and tan fur became a jet black, with blood-red highlights among the spaces in between his muscles. There was now some more muscle on him, and his weaker Andalite arms seemed to become stronger. His tail was now slightly longer, and the tail blade looked like some wicked scythe now at least three feet along, which probably could have cut an Andalite in half at the waist. The hair on the end of the tail was now fiery-red. His shiny black hooves now had ridges underneath them, making them look like cleats. And his eyes... I cannot begin to describe how horrible they were. Even though it was a sunny day in the desert, they were a sort of intense fiery red which probably could have glowed in the dark.

If this foul Yeerk warlord didn't look evil before in Alloran's appearance, then he certainly did now. He looked like some hellish monster, reinforced by years of experience in fighting and torture. Esplin almost seemed to personify all that was evil and foul in the universe.

Alloran had backed up quite a bit when the morphing process began, and now he was several feet back as Esplin finished morphing.

Esplin said in a thought-speech voice that seemed to chill and terrify.

With that, he charged at Alloran, galloping so fiercely that it sounded like a whole heard of buffalo stomping through. Alloran attempted to strike Esplin at some weak point, but Esplin knocked his tail blade aside first with his own, and then kicked Alloran with his front hooves, knocking the Andalite war-prince off his hooves and sending him a few feet back. As Alloran staggered to get back up, I could see painful imprints on his chest from where he was kicked.

Everyone else stood back, not wanting to get involved. However, I had plans of my own. I began to morph myself...

Esplin added as an afterthought as he trotted over to the injured and wheezing Alloran,

And then his tail-blade came down... severed from his tail.

he thundered, and then he turned to see who had injured him so.

I stood there, in my new Andalite morph.
Sign up to rate and review this story