Categories > Books > Animorphs > The Progression

CHAPTER 17

by Quillian 0 reviews

A new morph!

Category: Animorphs - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Tobias - Published: 2005-12-28 - Updated: 2005-12-28 - 1237 words

0Unrated
DISCLAIMER: See Ch. 1.

A/N: Well, only a few more chapters left before this is all wrapped up... but first, time to show a new morph or two... after all, you can't have Animorphs without morphing, now can you? (BTW, I'd just like to apologize in advance if I don't describe the morphing process so well.)

Also, this chapter is dedicated to Aldrex, whose fics "The Forgotten" and "The Recalled" are simply awesome. If you haven't checked them out and read them yet, then I heartily recommend reading them.



CHAPTER 17

Tobias

Over time, I had come to make acquaintances with the Kelbrid, or more specifically, Saventi, Skiba and Vegren. For some reason, I was just interested in the Kelbrid and their way of doing things (and I was pretty sure it almost had nothing to do with the fact that we were birds one way or another, contrary to how Marco joked about it).

Okay... so maybe it did have something to do with that. Being a human definitely had its perks, but so did being a bird - or more specifically a bird of prey, like a hawk.

Whatever.

A new program was being introduced... Andalite warriors would come to Earth and acquire all sorts of morphs which they could use in battle. The planet practically provided a whole cornucopia of "morphable" creatures with DNA for them to acquire. Cassie would provide more info on the animals they were acquiring.

In addition to that, they also acquired Hork-Bajir and Kelbrid morphs. With permission from the members of both races, Andalite warriors acquired DNA from both alien species, mixed them together with the /Frolis Maneuver/, and came out with their own unique Hork-Bajir and Kelbrid morphs.

One day, just as Ax was finishing his own unique Kelbrid morph, I thought out loud, "It must be great to have a Kelbrid morph."

Vegren and the few other Kelbrid warriors looked wryly at each other (well, or so I thought), and the next moment, the Kelbrid karmaad said to me, "If you wish to gain a Kelbrid morph... then I do not see why not."

"Thanks, Vegren." With that, I acquired his DNA and that of three other Kelbrid warriors.

And then, with Ax coaching me through it, I went through the process...

First, I had to go through each of their morphs separately before finally making my own. I had seen Ax do this with my friends years ago when he made his own human morph, and so I at least had a reference to go by with that.

I morphed Vegren first...

Feathers began to sprout all over my body, with whites mixed it with light and pale grays, with fuchsias and blues here and there. My feet grew into claws with talons, my hands also growing in a similar way. My mouth extended into a half-hard beak with the edges of the beak almost acting like lips. Little rows of teeth also grew inside my mouth, teeth designed for eating and consuming both plants and prey alike. My legs felt strange at the knees, since Kelbrid have that trick of allowing their legs to bend either way. My dirty blond hair sprouted into a magnificent crest of feathers, and my eyesight became sharper, almost as good as a hawk's. And finally, there was the pair of wings that defined a Kelbrid, those two angel-like wings which grew between my spine and my shoulder blades. I could feel my center of balance shift because of those wings, which were relatively light and yet strong.

I wanted to explore more as a Kelbrid, but held that off until the very end, because I still had this process left to complete...

I went through all four acquired morphs, mixing them into my own... until finally, I could sense I was done.

Finally, I spoke. "So, how do I look?" My words almost came out like rough squawks. Apparently, these Kelbrid vocal cords could take some getting used to.

"It is... unique," Vegren said after a moment.

I raised an eyebrow. "Uh... I don't look ridiculous, do I?"

Sign up to rate and review this story