Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > The Beating Of Our Hearts

Part 3 - You Know That You Are Not Alone

by hyperballad13 2 reviews

Patrick must moveeee onn

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2007-09-10 - Updated: 2007-09-10 - 1211 words

0Unrated

Part 3
You Know That You Are Not Alone


The school bell had chimed merrily in the yard, dancing over the chatter of gossiping mothers. Some had even taking uneasy glances over at Patrick who now stood against his car. His mother beside him; she had sent evil glances shooting back over to the clucking hens who rolled their eyes and turned away. News travels fast within the suburbs and greens. Neighbours had over heard the shouting, had seen Julies car drive away from the porch and finally they had never seen I return. Conclusions had been made, now Patrick stood in the ferocious talk and the spotlight beamed manically down on him. Patrick sighed, pushing up his glasses that had begun to slide down his nose. His mother stood on tiptoes clutching on to her greying black handbag.

There was a chorus of laughter, brimming from behind the doors and gates of the school. It escaped from the bricks and structure, creasing kindly from the mortar. They mixed with the brilliant sunlight of the beginning weekend. It was not long before the heavy metal doors were thrown open and a chorus of delightful young kids sang in the warming afternoon. The wonderful thing about the youngest of children is that they always seem happy, no matter what they have been through and no matter what pain he has caused. Joshua was the same, he came carefully at the entrance and stepped down the concrete steps. One by one as though petrified he was going to fall. A bright yellow backpack sat comfortably on his shoulders contrasting wonderfully with the colourful striped jumper. In his hand there was a fluttering piece of white paper that had been painted on one side. He lifted his meadows of eyes to find his father in the usual position. Joshua began to show a small smile but his eyes dragged over to the figure standing by. Her greying fair hair embedded on her head, sunglasses blocked the harrowing rays upon her olden eyes. Her lips had beamed and as Joshua’s details had sunk in he bounced over, quickening his pace so his small feet padded down on the ground.


”Grandma!” he out cried as Patrick’s mother crouched down, his arms outstretched. Joshua ran straight into her arms. She pulled him close into a warming embrace. The kind that only your grandparents could give, her scent tingled with the love as he breathed it in. Patrick stood by watching as his heart somewhat beating with pride.



“And how’s my little grandson?” Patrick’s mother exclaimed as she and Joshua pulled out of the hold. Joshua shuffled from side to side, one foot to the next. He frowned his little eyes as he though of the days events’ nothing previous had crossed his mind. In no less than a few minutes, he held up the painting as high as he could.


”I did this today,” he said with a triumphant beam upon his face He waved the painting with a fluster, the colours blended in, dissolving in a blur of rainbow. In his flurry, his grandmother could not see the small piece of art.

”Oh let me see that,” she took hold of it and stuck it between her fingertips. She leaned it away from her so her lens’ could focus on the full picture. She gasped out of joy, “Well this is just fantastic.”

”I did all by myself,” Joshua muttered smugly lifting his hand over the corner of the paper with his small fingers. He guided his hands over to character to character. “This is my house, and this is me and daddy.”

Patrick unfolded his arms and leaned over to stare at the details. A smile crept onto his face. He took it out of his mother’s hands and took a close up at it. Patrick let his eyes glide over the red stick figure of himself to the small blue figure of Joshua. He couldn’t help but grin; there was a childhood innocence that lay in the little masterpiece. He turned to Joshua, scooping him up underneath and allowing him to rest upon his side. He stuttered, “I tell you what little man, we are going to put this on the refrigerator.”



“Really? Mommy never let me put paintings on the re-” Joshua began to struggle with the long word. Patrick smiled as Joshua began to giggle at his lack of wording.

”Well, mommy’s not here anymore. It’s going to go right in the middle.” Patrick interrupted, turning to the car and throwing a small smile at his mother. The strange upturning of Julie in Joshua’s phrasing had thrown him. Patrick had opened the door, sliding Joshua into the car seat and buckling him in. Shutting the door quietly, Patrick climbed into the front while his mother crawled around to the passenger side. Patrick placed the key into the ignition. As the engine began to softly purr, music came climbing from the seat of the radio, filling the inside of the car with the latest songs. Apart from that there was a silence between the three. Joshua was humming to himself along with the beat of the music and Patrick and his mother were making glances at each other. Patrick gave in, “Mom you can tell him you know.”

”Tell me what,” Joshua said, an air of excitement in his voice. He loved surprises.

”Well,” said his grandmother, spinning in the fake leather of the seat to face him. She gripped the side as the seatbelt dug into her with the awkward position. “How would you like to stay at grandmas this weekend?”



“Really?” Joshua uttered as he flickered his beaming eyes from father to grandmother. They both nodded with agreement. He thought of what to say, he could see his fathers eyes soon stare blankly at the curving road. He didn’t want to leave him on his own, but he couldn’t help feel this would be better, “Yes please.”

~@~

The house was now silent and the evening had approached. Patrick sat quiet and alone in the living room, his finger pressing deeply on the cushioned buttons as he travelled from one channel to the next. Everything so unappealing, he moaned with each tedious reality programmed that appeared. By his side on the glass of the coffee table sparkled white wine in a cool glass. The alcohol tasted cheap in the back of his throat every time he sipped. There just seemed no reason to enjoy himself. Patrick rushed forward and switched off the television and bathed himself in the silence. He closed his eyes and allowed each thought to scream throughout his head. There was so much still yet to do. He was interrupted by a knock upon the door. Checking the time upon his watch, Patrick confused walked over to the front door and swung it open. Pete stood there, buttoning up his cuffs on his jacket. Patrick frowned.


”Get your best outfit on,” Pete said without the need for a hello or goodbye. He didn’t wait for a response from Patrick though an air of bewilderment came from the small man. “I’ve got you a blind date.”

****
Ciao Bella
Sign up to rate and review this story