Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > The Beating Of Our Hearts

Part 4 - Love Like You've Never Been Hurt

by hyperballad13 0 reviews

The first date ...

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Published: 2007-09-15 - Updated: 2007-09-15 - 1388 words

0Unrated
Part 4

Patrick let the door swing open without using hardly any effort. He gripped the top of metal as he slid in, the soft leather seats smooth underneath his black jeans. He wore a loose buttoned shirt over them; one so that it hide somewhat the contours of his stomach. He had put on a bit of weight since marriage. Silence between him and Pete soaked the air with rich thick awkward emotions that Patrick did not want to disturb. Nevertheless, when the roll of the engine started up and a blaring noise calm reeking havoc throughout his calm, Patrick could feel each one of his nerve unsettle. There was a quiet rage simmering with the inappropriateness of Pete’s action. True he was trying to help, and Patrick respected that, but it had been a matter of seconds, hours and days since Julie walked out the door. The thought of going on a date in the wake of her abandonment seemed almost absurd. Patrick had to hand it to Pete though; it could have only been him that had forced him into a situation like this. Patrick sighed and began to press buttons upon the radio; flicking from station to station to find a suitable song to calm his nerves. He came across one and sat comfortably reclined in the seat. He stretched his legs to even out the creases in his muscles. Placing one elbow upon the windowsill of the car, he leaned his head against the palm of his hand and stared blankly out of the transparent glass.
Pete kept his hands on the steering wheel, guiding and circling the circular object from one hand and through the other. He kept his sights mainly upon the road ahead but at every opportune moment would glance over to his friend, now unusually silent. He coughed underneath his breath and stuttered, “Hey are you okay, man?”

”No not really,” Patrick answered truthfully. There was a sharp intake of bated silence before he turned his head around to Pete and said “I don’t think I’m ready for this. It hasn’t even been a week, you know? And I’m on my first date already. I just don’t want anymore talk. I don’t want to be seen as an ass.”

”Hey,” Pete said in defence of his friend, he took his hand and gently nudged him, flicking his sights quickly from Patrick’s outline to the traffic that now lay outstretched across the roads. Flicking lights of red, white and amber blinding the sore eyes of slumber depraved eyes. “Julie left you, not the other way around. You have a right to move on, even if that means a few days after she’s gone. Dude, I know how you feel, okay? It’s not good to dwell on it over time. You have to get on the horse as quick as you can. Show them you’re not going to be knocked down so easily.”

”I guess you’re right,” Patrick mumbled underneath his breath, feeling a stab of guilt for feeling so angry at Pete before. He turned again to guide his eyes across the scattered star lights in the deep black canvass. They spelt patterns across with their glitter and Patrick felt almost entranced by them. Fixating his sights on each individual spark he submerged himself in the deep reclusive thought. The roll of the engine seemed to purr ahead, the sound making different noises at every point. The two of them sat without another word to say. Outside, the hustle and the bustle of the city could almost be heard. Cries from angered road raged drives to the howls of already intoxicated party goers came seeping in though the music in the car was blaring. Patrick frowned and still eyed the constellation as though if he were to take his eyes of them, he would loose them forever. Pete took hasty corners; sharp turns and bends causing Patrick’s stomach to jolt rudely in his body. He took one hand and gripped his nails into the soft of his seat.
The car started to slow down, Patrick sat up in his seat in a new found anticipation. It whittled as a fresh sensation over the old rage that still simmered. Patrick stared out and as the car softly came to a halt. He breathed out as a glistening restaurant came into view. There was a shimmer of romantic candle light bouncing over to him, making the situation so weirdly real that after a few moments Patrick realised that he was holding his breath. He pressed the seatbelt causing it to flip up and over his shoulder. Just about to take the handle, Patrick was stopped by a hand upon his back.

”Don’t worry about this one,” Pete said. “The table is in your name. She should be here in like 15 minutes or something. You’ll like her. She’s this smoking hot blonde. She’s gorgeous.”

”Really? And what is her personality like?” Patrick asked with another frown.

”I don’t know. I’ve met her like once at some kinda party,” answered Pete with a slow nod of his head as though he were trying to forget some bad memory. “She’s one of Ashlee’s friends.”

”Great,” Patrick muttered silently as his stomach fell to the floor. He stepped out of the car with a short word of gratitude. Pete simply waved goodbye leaving Patrick outside of the restaurant, taking agile steps in. As he placed his hands upon the handle he took a few moments to wonder if he really wanted to do this. Mustering up all his courage, he pulled the door and stepped into the date.

~@~

”And that’s when I decided that pink wasn’t really my colour and I was more of a mauve person.” Shrieked the smoking hot blonde, otherwise known as Sharon. She snorted loudly as she spoke whilst taking another gulp of her rose wine. Patrick had his chin in his palm, his eyes wide and unblinking behind his glasses as she carried on. He was literally afraid, taking nervous glances at the clock. She had been purely speaking for almost two hours. Even during eating, she just would not be quiet. Even when she asked him a question, she simply butted in and ignored his response. It had gotten to the extent that Patrick wanted to firstly, kill Pete and secondly, drift off to sleep. In his other hand, Patrick had scrunched up the napkin in his hand. He grabbed his drink and downed it in one. He held his hand up to stop her mid sentence and simply excused himself to the toilet. Making his way out of the toilet, he stopped the waiter and handed over a wad of dollars.

”look,” he took a napkin and wrote down a number. “Please, just, call this number. Tell whoever answers there is an emergency at home. Do it. For the love of god, please.”

The waiter, dumfounded nodded, Patrick smiled gratefully and walked back to the chair. As soon as he sat down, the phone began to buzz inside his pocket. He removed it out of his pocket and answered it. Glancing over to watch the waiter say something about an emergency at home. Patrick acted worried, panicky and jumpy. He stood up over dramatically, causing Sharon to jump back in shock.
“look, I’m sorry, that was my babysitter. There’s an emergency at home.” He said causing Sharon to stare up at him out of disbelieve. He threw the money for the bill on table, feeling a rush of guilt as she sat their frozen. “I have to go, its my son you see. It’s been nice meeting you.”

”Maybe another time,” she smiled as leaned forward and kissed her on the cheek. Patrick merely smiled weakly.

”Yeah maybe,” he said and rushed away, curving throughout the tables and pushing the heavy doors. He sighed out of relieve as a rush of air blasted onto his face. He lifted his hand to hail a cab and swiftly climbed in, flustering with his destination. As the taxi began to drive away, Patrick stared out to the stars.

They had all hidden behind the cloud.
****
Ciao Bella
Sign up to rate and review this story