Categories > Games > Final Fantasy X > Hymns of Fayth

Ghosts of the Past

by Summoner_Lulu 0 reviews

On the opening day of the Tournament, Lulu and Auron Arrive in Besaid. Along the way Lulu is haunted by memories of her first pilgrimage. At the temple, Auron discovers the fate of his young compan...

Category: Final Fantasy X - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst,Drama,Fantasy - Characters: Auron,Lulu - Warnings: [!!!] [V] [?] - Published: 2007-09-20 - Updated: 2007-09-20 - 3158 words

0Unrated
Chapter 5: Ghosts of the Past

It was nearly noon judging by the position of the sun and the distance they were from the beaches of Besaid. Auron stood on the deck of the small yet agile ship, staring out at the fast forming land in the distance. He had just awoken from his short rest and was happy to find that the ship's captain was making good on his promise to get them from Luca to Killika, Besaid and back in two days time. The journey over the sea would normally take three to five days depending on the weather conditions, luck and the ship. The ferries that usually transported the summoners across the ocean to and from the islands were too slow for the temporarily fast paced itinerary they had set , so the Summoner and guardian opted for a less conventional way. A small disguised Al Behd ship, to be precise, that they had happened upon while speaking to the Captain in a local bar.

Sacrilegious, that he knew, but Lulu had consented to the idea with little or no reservations. She seemed in just as big a hurry to get through this leg of the journey as he was. Returning to Luca and retrieving Tidus was a task he was wanting to compete quickly. Who knew what kind of trouble that boy could get himself into in Spira. He had an inherent ability to stumble into danger, just like his father. The likely hood of him finding himself thrown into a jail cell was rather high...

The sound of heeled boots scraping against the deck of the boat sounded behind the swordsman. /Ah, so sleeping beauty awakes/. He stayed facing towards the island on the horizon, never looking back to confirm who his company was.

"We are close..." She sounded as if she was speaking more to herself than to Auron. And as Auron turned to face Lulu he found that, in fact, she was staring past him and towards the island that was now no more than ten minutes away. The distant look in her eyes made it clear that there was some form of painful memory associated with the tropical paradise.

Auron hesitated for a moment before walking to her side, resting his hand oh her shoulder for a moment before continuing past her.



***

Lulu walked ahead of Auron along the narrow cliff path that lead around the mountain to the small town of Besaid on the other side. The waterfalls they passed under provided a nice refreshment from the sweltering heat that the bright sun cursed the island with. The Summoner's mind was far from the place where her body resided. Her thoughts dragged her back to her first pilgrimage, it had started here by pure chance. While on her way to Guadosalam from Baaj to visit Maester Jyscal for his birthday, Lulu had stopped in Besaid. Here she met her fist Summoner along with her lone Guardian. After seeing Lulu's skill with the elements, the young Summoner requested that she join her journey. Of course, Lulu accepted immediately not really thinking it through. At the time she had only been fourteen and not wise enough to fully understand the dangers the journey would provide.

Her reverie was interrupted as she stepped foot onto a small bridge and a water flan cascaded down via the waterfall that fell down over the wooden walkway. The fiend flung itself towards Lulu with a speed that should have been impossible for its species. The creatures watery jaws came dangerously close before the mage reached her hand out and halted its assault with a volley of lightning bolts that leapt from her figure tips. The water fiend drooped to the ground and Pyerflies floated up from the fast disappearing remains. Her extended hand fell to the railing of the bridge and there she held herself as shock settled in. The attack was so similar...

The day had been bright and hot, devastatingly so. The fact that Lulu was dressed in a black, hooded set of robes did not help in the least. The two Guado soldiers that were guarding her along the way were no better off. They were practically stumbling along the same winding path she was on now. The attack had happed in the exact spot that she stood on, only it had gone in a horribly different direction. She had slain the water fiend that attacked, but a Garuda came flying down from the cliff above and tore apart her guardians with its powerful claws. Just as it was about to turn on her the holy Aeon, Valefor, swept down from the sky and crushed the large fiend in a few quick strikes.

From behind the Aeon emerged it's Summoner and her guardian. The Summoner bore a dark tan and was dressed in the traditional robes of her station. The man that stood at her side was dressed more distinctly in a leather body suit that zipped up the front and was also adorned with black and gray belts. On his right shoulder was a lining of thick fur and attached to it was a long gray sleeve that matched the boots her wore. His left shoulder and arm were heavily protected with armor and in his hand he carried a long sword. His long sandy colored hair nearly reached passed his thighs and was brought back in a pony-tail with a few pieces that were looped around and back into the red thong that held them in place. His bangs fell heavily to one side if his face, but did not obscure his vision.

The couple smiled at her then their frames shook and blurred, bursting into pyerflies.

Distantly she could hear Auron speaking to her then there he was in front of her, shaking her. She looked up at him with disbelief. Had the pyerflies that escaped the fiend's body created that illusion or was it a creation of her mind? She wanted desperately to know, but the worry on Auron's face and in his indistinguishable words dragged her back to the present. "I'm fine." Her voice must have had less conviction in it than she had tried to put there because the look on her guardian's face as he shook his head was doubtful.

"You've been pressing yourself too hard. We haven't rested for more than a few hours since we started. It Is dangerous to push so hard, you need your rest." Auron could feel her body shake from the exhaustion and the shock of a painful memory being played out before her very eyes. Doubting she could pick herself up on her own he dropped his hands to her waist and lifted her along with himself from a kneeling position.

Moving to an upright position so quickly caused Lulu's head to go light, too light. Wait, when had she fallen? She didn't have the time to think on it before she swayed backwards. Thankfully, Auron still had his hand at her waist and was able to catch her as she steadied herself on his arms. Suddenly her corset felt too tight and the heat too stifling, but she forced that thought from her mind and breathed deeply.

Auron's eyes lingered on his Summoner, taking in her paler than usual color and laborious breathing. "Maybe we should slow down, rest before we seek out Valefor." His suggestion was almost an order, but his reluctance to chance missing Tidus made his tone a little less as firm as he usually would have made it.

Lulu looked up at him and shook her forcefully, "No, we will miss Sir Jecht's son if we do that. We can slow down to whatever pace you choose for however long you want after we find him. I promise." She sighed heavily, loosening the grip on Auron's biceps a but.

Auron grunted disapprovingly, but nodded in consent anyways. "Very well, but we will rest in Luca for a few days after the tournament." His tone left no room for argument, his full conviction returning. Hesitantly he tore his gaze away from Lulu and looked over his shoulder down the path ahead then back. "Can you continue?" Auron was suddenly aware of how close he was to her, his hands still resting on her hips and hers on his arms, their faces within inches of each other. He found himself in no hurry to move, half hoping she was in fact tired enough to require staying in this position a while longer.

It took a moment for the raven haired beauty to answer, her visible eye shifting a little as if she was deciding on the subject. Reluctantly she nodded and stood up straight, her hands still griping Auron's arms just in case. "Yes."

Another curt nod and Auron pried his hands from her waist. He allowed them to hover inches from her frame so he could catch her if she lost her balance.

Letting go of Auron completely, Lulu found her center and was able to stand of her own accord. "Alright, now that I've caused my share of trouble we can move on." She smiled at Auron with a bit of force, the dark cloud of the flashback still hanging over her.

***

Standing in the archway of the wall that surrounded Besaid, Lulu looked out over the unchanged little town. The only difference was the large hut hidden to the left of the circle was destroyed. She walked over to it without making the conscious decision to do so. Whatever Auron was saying about the temple or the town went unheard by her as she knelt down in the grass that had grown through the few tiles that remained there. Something was sparkling and she reached out to grab it then stood. When she brushed it off she saw that it was a small, round crest made out of stone. On it was Shiva's symbol that shimmered with the white crystal of Macilania. She ran a delicate finger over it and found it was very cold despite the harsh sun shining down.

Auron appeared at her side and cleared his throat, obviously disgruntled a little by her ignoring him. "Something wrong?" He asked, glancing over at the crest in her hands.

"No." Lulu shook her head slightly and stared at the object in her hand, "Lady Ginnem, the first Summoner I guarded, and Lord Nooj, her first guardian, shared this hut before they left for the pilgrimage." She turned her head from Auron to hide the sadness that welled up in her eyes, causing the bangs that covered the her right eye to fall away from her face and revel the light purple lines that graced it. "I was expecting it to be better taken care of..."

Turning to face the center of town , Auron placed his hand on Lulu's shoulder. "Spira often forgets the sacrifices that we make to bring it happiness." He tightened his grip on her shoulder momentarily, "Come, we have work to do."

Lulu looked up at him and nodded, her cheek brushing his gloved hand. "Right."

Releasing her, the seasoned warrior headed towards the temple, his good eye searching the faces of those he passed. He was searching for another of his charges, though he doubted she was still here.

Placing the Venus Crest into a hidden pouch strapped to the side of her thigh, Lulu followed after her guardian.

***

Lulu emerged from the Chamber of the Fayth, her skin glowing ever so slightly causing her already pale complexion to seem ethereal. If it already hadn't been proven that she was among the living, Auron might have sworn she was one of the Fayth. The aged swordsman stared up at the young summoner as she teetered dangerously atop the stop steps. Without thinking he began climbing the steps to help her down. She didn't even seem to notice as he took her arm and led her back to the safer position at the bottom of the staircase. When finally her silence began to worry him Auron turned her to face him and found that her eyes were completely white, void of the red irises that enchanted him so.

"Lulu?" He asked, not shaking her as he previously had for fear of causing her harm.

Blinking rapidly, Lulu came back to full consciousness, her eyes returning to normal. "A-Auron?" She asked looking around in confusion before grasping at her head with one hand. She fought to remember where she was, regaining the memory of what had happened over the past half hour. "We should get going, we are going to be late." Lulu said as she straightened herself up and turned to face the elevator.

***

As Lulu and Auron descended the steps from the Cloister of Trials a middle-aged priest raced forward. The bald man bowed to his honored guests, "Lady Lulu, is it not?" He asked, looking up at the Summoner with a flicker of awe in his features. "It has been too long. Last I saw you, you were guarding Lord Seymour. I see that you have now become a Summoner yourself." The man beamed at her, his pleasure evident on his face.

Lulu smiled at him with a look of confusion, "I'm sorry, I do not recall who you are."

"Oh! How rued of me!" The priest raised his hands in apology, "My name is Greeva, I trained under Lady Ginnme for a time. I first met you when she saved you from the Garuda seven years ago."

Recognition flashed across Lulu's face and she bowed, making the symbol of Yevon, "Ah, yes, you helped the Lady tend to me after that. You were very talented, even then. I take it you have completed the Trials."

Greeva shook his head solemnly, "Yes...but my pilgrimage ended very quickly. I lost my Guardian to the Trials in Killika." He sighed heavily, forcing the smile back onto his face. "After I lost her I did not have the will to go on. I returned here and took over as High Priest of the Temple not long ago. My first Summoner just left on her pilgrimage three days ago."

"I'm so sorry. But your first Summoner-" Lulu began, but was quickly cut off by Auron who stepped forward.

"Your first Summoner, was she High Summoner Braska's Daughter?" Auron demanded, sounding almost impatient for an answer.

The shorter man looked up at the legendary guardian in shock, "Uh, Sir Auron. Yes, she was." He nodded quickly and fought the urge to shrink away from the imposing figure in red.

"Where, where was she headed?"

"Lady Yuna was headed for Killika then Luca. One of her guardians is the captain of the Blitz team here and wishes to participate in one last tournament before continuing on the pilgrimage." Greeva's words came out in a rushed frenzy, almost as if he feared that his answer might grant him sever bodily harm. "A young man also went with them. Under the effects of Sin's toxin as it seemed, he knew nothing of Yevon. A talented Blitz player by what Sir Wakka said.

Auron turned to face Lulu, "Tidus."

Lulu nodded, "That means we know he is safe then. "

Greeva looked between the two, utterly confused. "Do you two know him then?"

Exchanging glances with Auron, Lulu nodded and lied quickly, "Yes, he is one of my guardians. On our way here from Djose we were attacked by Sin and separated. We were hoping that his love of Blitz would draw him to the Tournament. It appears we were right."

Gasping, Greeva bowed and made the sign of Yevon, "A blessing of Yevon. Lady Yuna and her Guardians will see to it that he is returned to you safely. Her father's talent was not lost in her, she is strong."

Lulu returned the bow, "Thank you, your reassurance has soothed us. I would love to stay longer, but the life of a Summoner. You understand."

"Right, of course my lady." Greeva said, stepping to the side and holding out an arm in a welcoming gesture.

Summoner and High Priest walked side by side, Guardian trailing silently behind, out of the temple. Greeva escorted Lulu to the ceremony ring in the center of town as the people gathered around to watch the summoning.

Standing in the center of the summoning circle, Lulu held her staff close to her body. The ornate purple and white top just in front of her face. Bringing the staff back with her right hand she raised it above her head, glowing symbols forming at her feet and charging with white light. Spinning, she brought the staff back down and grazed them across the symbols, sending streams of holy energy into the sky.

Moments later the Valefor flew down from the sky, landing in front of Lulu. Staring at the Aeon, Lulu dropped her staff and embraced the holy creature. She rested her hands on either side of Valefor's face, brushing back the soft white feathers. Her forehead met softly with the Aeon's as it brought down it's wings to encircle its new Summoner.

They stayed that way for a few long moments before the silence of the crowd was broken by Auron as he stepped forward and rested his hand on Valefor's wing. The Aeon drew its wings back and gently rose its head away from Lulu's grasp. "We don't have much time left." the guardian stated softly, reluctant to shatter Lulu's peaceful moment.

"I just need to do one thing first." Lulu said softly, looking from her guardian to Valefor. She walked out of the circle, her Aeon following her with its wings spread out to shield Lulu from the hot rays of the sun. The summoner came to a stop before a small garden on the side of one of the huts where and old lady had been standing, watching her the whole time.

"May I?" She asked, indicating to a small patch of red and orange flowers. With the old lady's nod she knelt down and plucked a few. Picking herself up off the ground she walked the short distance to the destroyed hut and placed the flowers in the center of it. She made the symbol of Yevon and began to pray, Valefor bowing her head as well.

"I guess this is goodbye." Lulu said to the wind as she straightened herself and took a deep breath. Turning, she stopped to gaze at Valefor and nod before turning to walk over to Auron. "I'm ready now." She said confidently, the air of doubt that had surrounded her since sunrise seemingly swept away with the wind.





Author’s Note: Thanks to all of those who are keeping up with the story, I really appreciate it. I’m really enjoying writing my first fanfic on my own and am open to any suggestions or criticism, just be nice please. Thanks!


Sign up to rate and review this story