Categories > Games > Final Fantasy X > Hymns of Fayth

Ominous

by Summoner_Lulu 0 reviews

The cheers of admiration washed over Seymour like a long awaited rain storm during a drought…

Category: Final Fantasy X - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Fantasy - Warnings: [!!!] [?] - Published: 2007-09-24 - Updated: 2007-09-25 - 1800 words

0Unrated
Chapter 6: Ominous



Luca was just off the horizon, no more than a few minutes stood between Seymour and his officially being announced as the Prince of Yevon. Mika would hold true to his promise, that the young Maester was sure of. If he didn't Seymour would due away with him in the same way he had his father, no sense in keeping something useless around. But that would not be necessary, Mika was no fool, he would do what was needed to keep his precious Yevon whole and stable. /Even if it means breaking its teachings. /Seymour laughed at the thought. Even the Grand Maester broke the teachings these days. Such hypocrisy...

A soldier came up behind the Guado Maester and saluted him, intent on interrupting his peaceful silence. "Should you not awaken the Grand Maester now, my Lord?" The an asked respectfully, lowering himself into a bow as Seymour turned.

"Ah, yes! How foolish of me to have forgotten." Seymour said, smiling at the man and stepping down from the risen part of the deck where the harpoons rested in wait for Sin to attack. He stepped past the soldier, without giving him a second glance and headed below deck to check on his new puppet.

***

Seymour stood on the deck of the large Yevon ship, his chin slightly upturned, eyes closed as he listened to the music drifting towards him from the band up ahead. They were docked in Luca and he could hear the whispers of the crowd that had gathered to welcome the Grand Maester to the city. He opened his eyes as he heard the band move forward and onto the dock. Moments later he took to the dock, followed by his Guado guards.

A strange silence settled over the crowd as the Guado Maester came into view; not fully Guado, not fully Human and as usual that is all they saw. Something wasn't right about him, so inherently Yevonites would shrink away and call him sinful. A pain he had endured, along with Lulu, all his life. But now things would be different because his status would rise higher than ever before, higher than priest, higher than Summoner, all the way to Grand Maester. And that was something no one could look down upon.

With that thought in mind, Seymour turned and bowed low to the ground to the only person left in this world he would ever have to do it for.

Mika came down the ramp with his usual horde of guards and raised his hands into the air to silence the cheers. "People of Spira," he said as he lowered his arms, "I thank you for your generous welcome." The Grand Maester looked to Seymour and gestured for him to stand, "Rise Maester Seymour, and all of you as well." his gaze shifted from his apprentice to the many people around him. Again he gestured to Seymour once he was standing, "I present to you the son of Maester Jyscal Guado, who departed for the Farplane a fortnight past. As some of you already know; he has been officially ordained a Maester of Yevon and next in line to become Grand Maester."

It was then that the cheers of admiration washed over Seymour like a long awaited rain storm during a drought. He turned to face the crowd a pleasant smile gracing his handsome features. "I am Seymour Guado. I am honored to receive the title of Maester and to be Lord Mika's heir. In life, my father Jyscal worked to foster friendship between Man and Guado. I vow to carry out his legacy, and to fulfill my duties as Grand Maester to the best of my abilities."

Another wave of cheers broke out and caught Seymour in the heat of it all. He stood rooted to his spot for a long moment before one of his guards tapped him on the shoulder and informed him that the Grand Maester was ready to go.. He nodded and turned, suddenly sensing another Summoner in the crowd. He immediately locked eyes with the young woman and immediately recognized her as High Summoner Braska's daughter. It was hard to mistake the noble and determined features that she had inherited from her father. Such a coincidence to run into his canary here. How quickly he would bait her into the cage he had awaiting her. The necessary sacrifice to save his love and Spira, at least for a time. Of course, she would only think she was following her dream, carrying out the legacy her father had left to her. And he would not rob her of that foolish guiding hope.

Seymour cracked a smile that was meant solely for her and saw her squirm slightly under the attention before turning and climbing into the Chocobo drawn carriage.

***

"You enjoyed that." Mika said abruptly as Seymour came to the small table set with food. They were having a small dinner in Mika's rooms after the first day of the tournament, still putting on the pretense of the grand Maester being near death.

Seymour was slightly startled by the statement and hesitated, but only for a moment before seating himself. "And if I did?" he asked with an indifference that few could achieve as he grabbed a piece of bread and began to butter it.

Mika sighed, "It would do you well not to show it so openly. Reserved, humble, strong, holy and devout these are the things you must be. Not vein, power hungry and arrogant." The older man advised, his eyes gliding over the food before him cautiously.

The younger Maester's eyes shot up to his elder momentarily and he had to suppress a snicker, the man was still trapped in his paranoia even after death. Suspicious of event he food laid before him by his loyal servants, what a fool. "I will keep that in mind, My Lord." he said as he bit into his bread with fanged teeth.

The Grand Maester eyed his apprentice with less than full confidence, "Don't mess up tomorrow, the last thing we need is more deaths on top of the up and coming Operation Mi'ihen and the attack on Killika. That really couldn't have come at a worse time." Mika shook his head in a crest fallen manner as he spoke.

"I won't fail, My Lord. Anima is more powerful than any other Fayth and will easily dispatch the fiends I have chose. Besides, Lady Yuna and Lady Donna are in the crowd from what I hear so there is nothing to worry about. Another rumor on the wind is that Lady Lulu has acquired herself the legendary Sir Auron as a guardian and has already passed through Luca and all the way to Besaid." The look on Seymour's face was smug as he took a bite off the meat set before him and smiled at Mike.

"Your sources seem to move much more quickly than mine." Mika said, more to fill the silence as he thought than to point out the fact that both of them already knew. "Sir Auron, the only one to ever survive the Final Summoning and hero of the people. Loved more by the people than any Summoner dead or alive." The withered man sat back in his chair, his hand at his chin. "A powerful ally to have for any campaign, but an even more powerful enemy."

A small laugh escaped Seymour, "It is no surprise he has aligned himself with my dear Lulu. Together they will be unstoppable, especially with her strange abilities."

"All the more reason to watch them carefully." Mika said with a quick caution.

"They would notice and kill any follower before a day's end. Better to let them go their own way, Lulu is too loyal to me to betray Yevon and too set in her path." Seymour assured confidently and stood from the table, throwing his napkin onto his plate. "You should get your rest Lord Mika." he said and bowed mockingly. "And leave the worrying to me." With one last smile he swept from the room.

***

Sanding on the outskirts of Luca, Seymour waited for his followers to arrive. His two, most loyal, guards flanked him on either side watching the streets for eavesdroppers or any other form of danger. This far out from the center of the city there was little source of light and because of the late hour few lights were on any ways. On flame torch was lit down the rode that provided the only light. The sky was ominously clouded over, blocking out the moon and stars. The way the wind was blowing it was most assuredly sweeping the storm towards the Djose beach to let it unleash its furry there. No doubt a sign for the out come of Operation Mi'ihen.

With the wind going in the opposite direction, Seymour missed the scent of the former Crusader come up behind him, but the clanking of the cane and machina limbs was not easily missed by his ears. "You're late." Seymour said calmly and turned to face his ally.

"The Garuda decided to give us a bit of trouble along the way." the half machina, half man informed.

"Ah, I hope you did not slay too many of them Nooj." Seymour said, patting the man on the shoulder and drawing him back towards the steps that led to the Highroad, just out of ear shot from his guards. "We will be needing them all."

"They are all fine." Nooj said, brushing the Maester off. "I would not risk this anymore than you."

"Yes, of course. So you have gone over it with your men, right." Seymour said, pulling out a small piece of rolled up paper from his breast pocket and handing it to Nooj. "They are not to loose the fiends a moment before the Finals are over."

Taking the paper Nooj looked it over, is was a map of the city and the many secret passages that wound beneath it. "These tunnels, they are ancient." He said, looking up at Seymour with surprise clear on his face.

"Yes, Luca is built over a very old Machina city. Those tunnels are all that are left." Seymour said, handing him and ancient looking key. "I have swept them personally, all is safe. You will enter and exit the city through them. Do not get caught." With that said, Seymour turned and headed down the street, back to the hotel.





Author's Note: Yes, I did take the canary thing from FF9, I just thought it sounded perfectly creepy enough for Seymour. Nooj was one of the few things about FFX-2 that I liked so I just had to put him in here. Sorry for the how short this one is.
Sign up to rate and review this story