Categories > TV > Stargate: SG-1 > Chick Drama

3. First Impressions

by glo316 3 reviews

Friendships...old and new

Category: Stargate: SG-1 - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Romance - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2006-01-01 - Updated: 2006-01-01 - 2880 words

0Unrated
3. First Impressions

Strutting down the hall, Jack searched as he moved. Nodding and high-fiving hands in acknowledgment to those he knew. Coming up to Hammond's room, he noticed Vio standing by Harry and Ferretti and chose to go over.
"Where were you?" Jack butted in.
"Hey!" Vio started enthusiastically as she approached Jack and embraced him into a hug,
"Jack you know her?" Ferretti asked.
"She's my neighbour," Jack responded with his arm around Vio.
"What happened to Anise?" Maybourne questioned.
"I haven't seen her all weekend,"
"-Speak of the devil," Ferretti said, seeing Anise walking towards Jack.
From behind, Anise whispered something to Jack that made him raise a brow and drop his arm by his side. And in one sweep, she moved to face him and kissed him. All three of them watched. Even passers by glanced.

Vio went inside the classroom and up to Hammond's desk where he was sat sorting through papers. She spoke quietly in nervousness,
"Sir? I'm Viola Stanford, I've just transferred,"
"Yes," he said looking up at her from his seat, "You're joining my class," He opened his desk drawer and pulled out a bunch of papers, "This is your timetable, at Cheyenne we have a two week timetable. Are you used to that?"
"Yeah, we had that at my old school,"
"Good, then you'll understand," He pointed at some numbers printed on a small piece of paper, "This is you locker combination. Memorise it, and then rip it up. And..." Hammond brought out a little book, "This is your homework journal, you record your homework in it and in the back is space for you to copy in your timetable. Registration will start in a few minutes, take a seat,"
Vio sat down at the front of the room and waited. After about two minutes, Jack came in, "Are you trying to ditch me?"
"No! I just thought I'd leave you and your girlfriend alone. Plus had to find the class,"
"You could have told me you're in Hammond's. This is my class," Jack said, parking himself on the desk beside her.
"I wanted to find things for myself, so I know where they are in future. I wanted to be independent,"
"Independent? That's all you...Is that why you stood me up this morning?"
"Yeah," Vio said as if to say 'what else'.
"I guess you were just getting to know Maybourne and Ferretti?"
"Who are they?" she said, crinkling her brow.
"Harry and Louis,"
"Oh...No. Harry was hitting on me. The fucking pervert,"
"Want me to sort him out for you?"
"There's no point, I can sort him out myself,"
People started entering the room in large herds. Vio watched all of them, some looked back at her noticing that they had never seen her before, which caused them to turn to their friends and chat about her. When Sam and Daniel came in, Jack motioned them over.
"Guys, this is Vio," Jack started.
Vio nodded with a smile.
Sam said doing a brief wave of her hand, "Hi. Samantha, but you can call me Sam. Nice to meet you,"
"She's the new girl in our class," Jack added.
"I'm Daniel Jackson," he said, holding out for a handshake, "Vio?"
"Yeah, it's actually Viola,"
"As in the instrument?" Daniel asked.
"Yeah...my parents love classical music,"
"They named you after an instrument?" Jack questioned, raising an eyebrow.
She nodded.
"Gustave must be named after the composer, right," Jack added.
"Gustave?" Sam asked.
"My older brother,"
"Gustav...oh, Gustav Mahler," Daniel said.
"That's the one," Vio cheered, "I've never met anyone who knew of him...well besides my friend Griffin. And he's a total brain,"
"So she named you after an instrument and your brother after a composer?" Sam asked to clarify.
"Yep. It's lucky they didn't call me drum or something then my nickname would be rum," Vio joked. They all chuckled in response.

With a spring in her step and music in her ear, Vio walked down the corridors of Cheyenne High searching for the right math classroom. Looking at the tag in the window of a door, she saw 'M6' written. Comparing her timetable, she realised she had finally reached the right room. Taking a brief look down the corridors, she felt her lateness. She quickly grabbed and twisted the knob, and entered. Many members of the class looked up at her. The teacher, a man glimpsed at the clock. Vio walked over to his desk.
"I'm Viola Stanford, just transfer-"
"Yes, take a seat and I'll get you a book," he butted in.
She turned around, searching the classroom. She saw Daniel, who was sitting with a boy with light brown-blonde hair. Daniel put his hand in the air to call her over and she followed.
"You should've said you were in this class. I would've walked with you," Daniel began.
"I kinda want to try and find my own way around today,"
"What's your name?" asked the other boy sat at the table.
"Oh, sorry. Marty, this is Vio. Vio, this is Marty," Daniel introduced.
"You're in Hammond's class?"
"Yeah,"
"There was this rumour going round in last period that Harry Maybourne tried it on with you, and you slapped him. Is it true?" Marty questioned, waiting with anticipation.
Daniel looked over at Vio.
Vio chuckled, "Who said that?"
"Jo told me. She said Anise told her, and I think Jack told Anise," Marty replied.
"Jack," Vio said shaking her head. She glanced at Daniel who also started laughing too.
"Marty, you and Jo still an item?" Daniel asked.
Marty nodded. "It's been two weeks,"
"Two weeks?" Vio said in a 'that it' tone. Realising her own tone, she apologised, "Sorry. I didn't mean that - I mean, that's wonderful. Jo? I don't think I've met her yet,"
"You'll meet her at the next game," Daniel said.
"Next game?" Vio asked, furrowing her brow. "Game of what?" she said in an English accent.
Daniel stared, "Did you just put on an English accent?"
"Did I?" Vio said, thinking about what she had previously said, "Maybe,"
"It was good. How did you do it?" Marty asked.
"It's a habit. I used to live in England - a few years back. Nowadays I seem to switch accents every once in a while. I don't even realise half the time...anyway, what game?"
"The next football fixture," Daniel answered.
"American football?"
"Yes,"
"Jo's a cheerleader," Marty added.
Vio gave a slurred chuckle.
"Quiet down class!" the teacher shouted.
Daniel leaned across the table to Vio and in a whisper said, "What was that?"
"She's a cheerleader,"
"Wow," Daniel said sarcastically.
"I laughed because I imagined an annoying cheerleader falling off a human pyramid," Vio laughed, and Daniel followed.
"I can think of some I'd wish would fall off. And a few others in general," Daniel added.

In the cafeteria eating lunch were Daniel and Sam. They were talking about coursework that they had recently been given.
"I don't think I can take another lesson with Annie Hathor as my partner,"
"Chemistry?"
Sam nodded. "She just sits there filing her nails,"
Vio walked over, "Can I sit here?"
"Of course you can," Daniel replied.
"Where's Jack?" Sam asked.
"He's outside the school, smoking,"
"Smoking?" Sam said wide-eyed. She turned to Daniel, "Did you know he was smoking again?"
"He hasn't said anything about it to me,"
"I wish Janet was here, she'd stop him,"
Vio listened as she took out her homework journal, flipped to the back and started rewriting her timetable into it. While she was writing, Jack came into view.
"Jack, are you smoking again?" Sam shouted walking towards him.
"Whoa, Carter. Lets turn down the volume,"
"Are you smoking?" she said, calmly.
"Yeah, is there problem?"
"It's because Janet isn't here to tell you otherwise," Daniel stated.
"You got it in one Danny boy,"
Kawalsky walked over, "Smoking O'Neill? Tut, tut, tut..."
"Shut up Kawalsky," Jack said, lightly slapping Charlie across his shoulder.
Vio looked up, "K?"
"Violin!" Charlie replied.
Vio put down her book and pen, "I didn't know you go here,"
"I didn't know you were the new girl," Charlie walked over to her, sat down and gave her a warm hug, "You know everybody's been talking about you and it never occurred to me,"
"I haven't seen you in ages,"
Charlie pulled away to look at her, "About three years,"
"Wow, three years. You do look fantastic," she said checking him out.
"So do you," he added in a suave voice. "It makes me wish, we never broke up,"
"I know. Anyway, how's your love life?"
"Non-existent," he laughed. "You? - I bet you've had loads of guys,"
"I've had a few - nah, I'm still pining over you," she replied, fluttering her eyelashes.
"Eh? You two used to date? Kawalsky had a girlfriend?" Jack interrupted.
Sam and Daniel stared at him; impressed by the fact that he asked the question they wanted to know the answer to. Charlie and Vio stared at him realising that they weren't alone.
"Well, yeah," Vio answered sarcastically.

To end off the day, Vio had her first lesson of history. Again, Daniel was in her class, and she was thankful. She spent about half the lesson listing to the teacher tell her about the work, the work she had missed, and how she would have to catch up with it in her spare time. Seeing the droop of Vio's expression, Daniel interrupted,
"Sir, I could fill her in on the work,"
The teacher looked at him, "Thank you Daniel," and walked away.
"Thanks for that," Vio said, "I don't think I could take another minute of hearing all that. It almost makes me wish I wasn't taking this subject,"
"I felt like that at the start of the year, now I'm ahead of it all,"
"Ahead? You're ahead of all that stuff?"
"Yeah. I do a lot of work at home - in my spare time. If you want, I could help you,"
"You'd help me?" Vio said, her face lightening up.
"Of course. How about today - are you busy?"
"No, not at all. Are you not busy?" Vio said, switching to her English accent.
Daniel looked puzzled.
"What did I say?"
"You're speaking English,"
"Does it bother you? - I can't control it,"
"It doesn't bother me, it's just a little strange,"
"Most of my friends get used to it - so, are you busy?"
"If I was, I wouldn't have suggested today,"
"True,"
"Do you wanna come over to my house? - I mean, it'll be better than the library..."
"What about mine?" Vio interrupted.
"It's just that my work, is on my home computer,"
"Oh. That's okay then. So...is straight after school okay?" Vio said, trying not to sound pushy.
"That's fine,"
When the bell rang and everyone practically grabbed their stuff and scattered out of the classroom. By the time most of the class was out the door, Vio was still sat in her chair putting her books in her bag. Daniel was standing, packing. Then the teacher left the room, so Jack poked his head round the door,
"Hey campers!"
"Hi Jack," Daniel said.
"Hey," Vio replied.
Jack walked in and sat on Vio's desk, "You seem worn,"
"How dare you compare me to a piece of clothing," Vio joked, poking Jack in the stomach.
"Oi! How would you like it if I poked you in the stomach?" he said, laughing and attempting to poke Vio in the stomach.
She giggled. After about a minute, they stopped.
"So, are we going or what?" Jack started.
"I wanna stay in school," Vio said.
"Are you serious?"
"No...Come on. Lets go,"

Walking down the hall of Cheyenne, through the crowd Vio could hear someone calling out to her. She stopped and turned round, searching for the sound.
"Did you forget something?" Jack asked.
"No. Someone's calling me,"
"Look, it's Charlie," Daniel said.
Charlie jogged over, "I'm glad I caught up to you,"
"Aw...you ran all the way over here," Vio said embracing him into a hug.
"Where's the fire?" Jack added.
"Up your ass," Charlie replied.
Vio chuckled, "So, what's up?"
"I wanted your number - and your address,"
"Really? I'll give you my number, but you're gonna have to earn my address,"
"Oh yeah?"
"Yeah," she said with a smile, "Anyone got a pen?" Vio said looking at Jack and Daniel.
"Hear you go," Daniel said taking a pen out of his shirt pocket.
"Thanks," she took Charlie's hand and faced his palm down and wrote on the back. "This is my mobile number and that's my email address - do you have messenger?"
"Yeah,"
"Add me when you get home. And if you have time, phone me tonight, okay?"
"If I don't, I'll talk to you at school tomorrow,"
"Okay," Charlie leaned in and gave Vio a peck on the cheek, which made her giggle. She then gave him a peck back, a squeeze and a "talk to you later,"
Jack and Daniel looked surprised for a split second and made a confused face at each other.

Walking home, they spoke of their classes.
"How was your first day?" Jack enquired.
"I'd say fine,"
"Just fine?"
"Yeah, fine,"
"Can I ask you two a question?"
"Shoot," Jack replied.
"Sure," Daniel added.
"Why did you both seem surprised or act weird whenever I see K?
"Because..." Daniel started.
"I'll handle this Danny. Because I've never seen Kawalsky kiss a girl, or act the way he does when he's seen you today,"
"Is that right?" Vio asked Daniel.
He nodded.
"What's the deal with that?"
"Me and Kawalsky?"
"What's going on between you two?"
Vio chuckled, "Well, what can I say? He was my first love,"
"What do you mean by 'first love'?" Jack asked.
"He was first and only boyfriend," she said looking from Jack to Daniel and back again.

Arriving at Daniel's house, Jack walked alone to his own because he was allergic to homework. Vio and Daniel entered the house and was immediately greeted by his Aunty Cat,
"Hello Daniel, oh and hello. Your name's?"
"Viola," Vio said politely.
"Such a pretty name and a wonderful instrument."
"Hi Aunty," Daniel said giving his aunty a hug, "Vio's a new girl in my class and I'm helping her catch up with her history, since I've finished it,"
"Okay dear. Would you two like some snacks or drinks?"
Daniel looked at Vio, "Would you like anything?"
"No, not right now. Maybe later. Thanks for offering,"
"Would you like to stay for dinner, Viola?" His Aunt asked.
"If it isn't any trouble,"
"It's no trouble dear,"
"Aunty, have you heard from mom and dad today?"
"They phoned early this morning. They said that they'll phone in a few days to talk to you, but they're fine and having fun,"
"That's good,"
When Vio entered Daniel's room, she just stared at the interior. It was huge with green walls, wooden flooring and shelves full of books. He even had a couch and a computer.
"Wow!" Vio said, glazing around his room. Walking over to the miniature library at one side of the room, she passed her fingers along the spines of the books, checking the titles. "Are these all yours?"
"Yes. I love reading. It's what I spend my time doing,"
"That's fantastic!" Vio said, her eyes still focused on the books.
Daniel furrowed his brow realising what she had just said. "What did you say?"
Vio turned to face him, "Are you deaf or something?" she said playfully, "- I said it's fantastic,"
"Reading?" Daniel asked, almost confused.
"Yeah,"
"You like reading?"
"What do you mean by you?" Vio said in a strong English accent, "What are you trying to say? - That I'm too stupid or something?"
Daniel stared, hearing her accent.
"What are you trying to say?" she said, stepping closer.
"Nothing. It's just...you hang out with Jack,"
"Go on..."
"I didn't think you'd think reading is -"
"Cool?" she completed. Vio sat down on his bed, fell back and laughed. Daniel watched as after a minute had passed, she sat up and said, "You're extremely self conscious, aren't you? - Anyway, I love reading. I wish I'd do it as much as I'd like to. The only thing is I have to be in the right mood otherwise I'll never finish it. Do you read often?"
He nodded, "There's barely a time when I'm not reading a book,"
"Tell me," she blurted, "Where are your parents?"
Daniel sat in his green armchair, located near his books. "They're in Egypt on an archaeological dig,"
"That's totally cool,"
After useless chat, they got down to work. Daniel showed her all the files on his computer related to history. They spent two hours working non-stop, but was interrupted by the knock of the door. Daniel's Aunty Cat popped her head around the door,
"Dinner is ready. Should I leave in the oven or put it on the table - would you like it up here?"
Daniel turned to Vio, "Do you want it up here?"
"No...I think I want a break. Downstairs?"
"Aunty, could you put it on the table please. We'll be down in a minute,"
"Okay. Would you like anything to drink?"
Sign up to rate and review this story