Categories > Books > Lord of the Rings > Last Hope of Mankind

Chapter 7

by FireChildSlytherin5 0 reviews

Estel age 11 has been captured by orcs. Why haven't they tortured him yet? Why did they take him to their village and treated his wounds? Was everything that he was taught about orcs since birth be...

Category: Lord of the Rings - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy,Horror - Characters: Aragorn - Warnings: [!] [V] [?] - Published: 2007-11-01 - Updated: 2007-11-01 - 3675 words

0Unrated
Last Hope of Mankind

-

Summary:
AU Estel age 11 has been captured by orcs after he was attacked with pack of wolves. Why haven't they tortured him yet? Why did they take him to their village and treated his wounds? Was everything that he was taught about orcs since birth been false all this times? Are they any different from elves, humans and any other beings? And why has this orc child keep pulling his hair as if wanting to play with him? What would Estel learn from them that would help him during the War with the Ring and when he is King? Or will he in the end be killed by the other family that he only knows by calling him a traitor?

-


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is nothing on this earth more to be prized than true friendship."
-- Saint Thomas Aquinas-


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Talking"
"Elfish and Black Speech”
'thoughts'


-

Chapter Seven

-


When Brura walked towards her Lord’s tent, she couldn’t stop smiling as she heard children giggling coming from the tent. As she peeked inside she smiled as she saw Proshnak and the human child sitting on the bed, smiling, laughing as they played what looked like colorful rocks. Yes, she knew this human child is the blessing that many of her kin was hoping to help to save them all.

This small child, she knew and felt, was very important to the human race. It made her ponder many times why she felt in her heart and soul that this human was important. It wasn’t as if he was god or something, it was more of the fact of how this human child act; as if an elf in human form. The way his ears are ever so slightly pointed (if looked closely), his bright eyes, when angry seemed to throw daggers at you and the way his body was built: a strong warrior.

The human race is taking over, without a doubt, with this war approaching it was matter of time before her kind or his would perish. What if this human came from an ancient blood line, she always wondered? If yes, then which one? Surely this child would know where he came from. And where his family is.

Of what she heard from Kaghed, the child didn’t know where his home truly was. It was heavily guarded, the child told Kaghed, filled with ancient enchantments that was long ago forgotten. Nor did the human child knew of what his family‘s name only knowing his father‘s name was Arathorn and that his father died when he was really young. His mother never told him much about him or his father’s family, only telling them that his foster-father (the human child had to explained what was a foster father was), was called Lord Elrond. The human child didn’t know which human kingdom he came from! With these unanswered questions, it was hard to look for the human’s family.

Kaghed had send many scouts to search in the area of where they found the human to find anything that would tell him of where to look. But everyone who came back, minis few who never come back, possibly killed, said that they can’t find anyone nor the place where the human had describe of where he once lived.

Many of the villagers feared the worse. Did his family perish from a battle of some kind? Was he an orphan that ran away?

Brura sighed. She knew what it felt of loosing members of her family. She is widow for her mate (1) who was killed long ago in war and a mother of five children, three of which are dead now, for her three eldest sons had fallen with their father in battle some years back when she was pregnant with her youngest. Her now surviving children, her one married aged daughter and her infantile daughter; Adrienne (2) and Danica (3) who she love dearly, feared that they two will perish the same fate as their father and brothers.

It pains her that Danica never knew her father, only hearing stories about his greatness, knowing his loyalty and bravery, of which he died of what he believed in. Lord Kaghed, to many fatherless and orphan orc children in the kingdom looked up to him as a father. Kaghed many times look up at these children like sons and daughters, but this was the first time Kaghed ever brought in a child to his tent, a human child no less. It wouldn’t surprise her in the slight if Kaghed would adopt the human child as his son, if they do not find his family.

To her people, adopting a child is just like having one of their own. The ritual is used by blood and spirit, to her people, in the eyes of the Gods and their ancestor spirits that an adopted child would be son or daughter though both blood and spirit.

Brura closed the tent flop, not wanting to interfere the children’s fun. She smiled, she will wait to tell the human child that it bed rest was over. “Where’s Lord Kaghed is I wonder?” She wondered out loud to herself. She shrugged and walked away, went to look where her Lord was.

-

Kaghed sighed in sadness as he watch in the distance, a small figurers was approaching the village camp. Kaghed knew, as the bands of orcs slowly approach him, he knew that they bring ill news; they cannot find Mokûrz’s family or the place that Mokûrz described of where he lived before they found him in the forest.

For many weeks now, Kaghed hid the fact from Mokûrz that his family may not be alive and the thought of his home destroyed. It would only bring the child heartache if he ever told him, but also the fact that he was still healing from his wounds, and mourning for love ones would slow the progress. Kaghed remembered not long ago, when he companied with his scouts to a nearby battle field of where they found corpses of elves and orcs. Assuming that the battle that they found was the battle that Mokûrz had told him about before he was attacked by the wolves.


-
--Flash Back--
-


Kaghed held his grip the halt of his sword tighter, making his knuckles turn paler from his ash colored skin. It took his every will power not to let his guard down, covering his nose in disgust. There was blood everywhere. Rotting corpses of orcs and elves was scattered. All lied of where they were slain, arrows still piecing though their now rotting flesh. Dark dried blood that once was poring through their wounds was now covered in maggots.

The stench was horrible to any human or elf, but used to the stench orcs were more immune to it. It wasn’t the smell of death that was so horrible, but the smell of such evil cruelty that acted among this place not too long ago. Both sides had done their inhuman crimes; sterile females and orc children that only just enter manhood cried for mercy was slain by the elves. The orcs of Mordor too held no mercy to the elfish race. There were no elf children among the dead, but young, child bearing aged females and young male elves was among the dead. Many unfortunate souls had perished... Many of which wasn’t meant to die so soon.

Kaghed, and like others in his kingdom, never seen many elderly elves in his lifetime, only a small handful was seen in battle in their history, as his mother once told him that they left Middle Earth long ago across the sea before her time. To his people it was foolish to send young strong men and women, who still had not have any children to carry on the blood line into battle. Only those who had their life fulfilled for their blood still goes on and only those who choose not to have any children.

Kaghed walked through the battle field, still not letting go of his sword, checking if there was any hope that one of them was still among the living. He knew it was foolish to look, but it didn’t hurt. To his dismay, he found none.

There were no humans among the dead, Kaghed noticed. This was unusual as humans and elves are allies, and why were they this far away from their home and allies? What was their purpose to leave their home? All these elves look so young even in their own kind.

And the orcs. They are far away from Mordor, many weeks away, why are they here far into the West? War is the other side of Middle Earth; surely war is not growing here.


They should move, before his people are found out. He must go back and warn the other tribes. Before it is too late. The winter solstice is coming; they will have to move away this forest ahead of time. But if they move, then Mokûrz would never see his family again...or until the summer solace came and when they came back to the forest. But what if Mordor comes into the forest and never leave? They would never come back to this forest, and if that happens then it would be years before they come back and humans have short life-spans...

“Sir, there is no survivors.” an old orc said walking up to him. “Should be head back and warn the others?”

Kaghed did not answer.

“What should we do with the dead?” the old orc asked again. He knew Kaghed was thinking. But they really should get going. Before the orcs of Mordor comes back.

“Leave them. If we touch them, the orcs of Morder will know we were here.” Kaghed said to the old orc. The others nodded. They started to walk back to the village.

“Sir, what will you tell the human?”


-
--End of Flashback--
-


The same old orc shook his head, as he approached Kaghed. Kaghed sighed in defeat. Mokûrz had no family left. What would happen to the little human? No one in the village would be willing to take him and raise him like their own. He is human, one of the sons and daughters of the killers that kill their kin.

Maybe Brura would be willing, but she is always busy with healing and she is still mourning the lose of her mate and her three sons that perished so many winters ago. Plus one of her daughters is in the marrying age and with a married aged daughter and very child to care for, she had very little time to care for another, specially in these hard times.

Just then, Brura walked up to him. A sad smile across her pale face. Kaghed looked at her, having a feeling that Brura knew what he is thinking. He had this decent feeling many times that Brura knew more things then she lend on. One may think that she had more than orc blood in her.

“No trace of the human’s family?” Brura asked him, her eyes clouded in thought.

“No, Brura.” Kaghed said sadly. He took a deep breath. “What will I tell, Mokûrz?” he asked her. He need a female advice, who Brura would give if one ask.

Brura’s smile grew better. “So that’s what you call him, huh?” she asked. It took Kaghed’s every will power not to blush in embarrassment. “Tell him, that bed rest is no more you can. Let me give him one more check up and be just fine he will. He can go and play likes any other orc child.” Kaghed nodded. “Tell him, when the time is right you will.” Brura continued.

“Thank you for your kind words, Brura. Brura, what will happen to the boy?” Kaghed asked her.

Brura looked at him. Her dark ember eyes glittered in amusement. “What will you do to the child?” she repeated. “Throw him in the creek?”

“No!”
Kaghed said in surprised. What is she talking about? “Why would I do that to a youngling?”

“Why are you asking me, what will you do the child then huh?” Brura asked him, putting her hands on her hips. “That is the most ridicules question I heard all day! Coming from you, you have ill thoughts in your mind. Mind yeh, ill thoughts makes yeh crazy.” Brura knew she was babbling, but right now she didn‘t care. He may be her King, but he can be so childish at times!

“Take care of the child you will . Ask him if he is willing to have you as a second father. If he agrees then do the ritual and then raise him as your own.”

Kaghed grasp. Raise him, himself? Does she mean to adopt him?! “I don’t know how to take care of child! His a human and—”

“It does not make any difference if he’s a human child or an orc child. Just watch over him, protect him, teach him of what to know, discipline him with a firm hand, and be nice to him, just like any other father would do.” Brura told him. She smiled as Kaghed looked unsure of himself. He would be a good father.

Kaghed stared at her. Just a moment ago, Brura was angry with him. Now she‘s standing in front of him, smiling at him. ‘It must be a female thing‘ he thought to himself. “I don’t know if I could make a good father. I don’t even remember my own father... The only father figure I had was Lord Karguk, my uncle. You know how strict and cruel he was.”

Brura glared at him. Brura knew Kaghed was nothing like his uncle. His uncle was the total opposite of his older brother, the former king before any of them both. “That is something that you and the human child have in common. Not knowing your blood father. The only difference between you and the human child, is that he had a good second-father, as you had a second-father that tried to kill you for the throne.” Brura stated the fact.

Kaghed glared at her. “I don‘t even have a mate!” Kaghed said, ignoring of what she said.

Brura smiled, leaded him to his tent. “You don’t have to have a mate to take care of a child. You will be just fine, Milord.” she said smiling again. “If you need anything, anything at all, you know where to find me. Now let’s go make sure that Proshnak and Mokûrz didn’t make any mischief in that tent.”

Kaghed groan. He almost had forgotten about Proshnak being with Mokûrz. By the God, heaven knows if Proshnak and Mokûrz would be the end of him.

-
0o0o0o0o0o0
-


Elrohir sighed on the hundredth time for the past weeks. He and his group, had been searching for his foster brother, Estel with no luck. No sign of him anywhere, it is as if the human child disappeared of the face of the Earth. He was tired, hungry, and frustrated. All he want is to go home, to his bed and sleep for months on end and eat a decent meal that he hadn’t had for weeks.

But he couldn’t.

He can’t go home empty handed with no idea of what happened to Estel. He must not fail his twin brother or his father. It was his fault that Estel went missing and now with no hope that Estel is alive or dead.

For many weeks, Elrohir ignored his men of the doubts that he overhead them over talk to one another behind his back in cold nights that Estel is dead. How can a weak, small human boy survive the cursed Forest alone and weaponless? That they asked to each other. All of them saying this quest is hopeless.

Elrohir knew that they were right, but he must of hope. Elrohir hoped that they had taught Estel enough survival skills to survive in the forest alone. Despite that he was young and the fact he was a human.

He lifted Estel’s small, light-weighted sword leveled to his eyes. How many times did he watch and played sword fighting with Estel, telling him that when he is old enough he would be have a normal sword? Estel was so small, so young, so...

Elrohir felt a tears fall from his eyes. He felt so hopeless. Everyday he hoped to see that smiling human face the moment they found him, in the same time tread of the thought of finding a rotting corpse of the youngling.

What would his father, brother and younger sister would say when he and his men came back home, empty handed saying there was no trace of him? Would his father look at him in the same way each time he look at him? Would his twin smile again, forgiving of him and himself of what he did? And would his sister love him the same way, when she finds out of what he did? And more importantly, would he ever forgive his own self and would Estel if he would see him again?

“Milord.” a voice said, making Elrohir came back from his thoughts. Elrohir looked at the young elf child, Aluin (5) who just for the past century came out of his boyhood, stood there in fearfully, waiting for him to reply back. By the looks of things, the group behind the elf child is waiting for him to reply. Knowing them, they made Aluin came up to him, perhaps praying that they would finally leave this dreaded forest and came back to their families.

“What is it?” Elrohir asked.

“The others--,” Aluin replied, trying to calm himself. “Was hoping-- that you would reconsider that the hum-- that young Estel maybe not be alive--” Aluin stuttered.

“Of what this damn fool is trying to say sir, this is foolish to think a young child, a human no less can survive this forest alone.” one elf said behind. Elrohir glared at the lot of them in angry. How dare they insult Estel!

“We are tired, hungry and so are you sir. Let us retire and go home.” Elrohir knew they are right, even some of these elves don’t trust humans that much. But the thought of going home to face his father, brother... And Estel’s mother! What would she say?

How can he abandon Estel?

“You are right.” Elrohir said slowly. Everyone smiled at the news. Finally they can stop this unless quest! “We will leave tomorrow morning.” Elrohir decided in defeat. The men smiled happily, but few felt sorry for the young Lord. Elrohir so wanting to find his foster brother to show his father that he was sorry. They knew Elrohir blamed himself of Estel’s disappearance. But they can only do so much! What was so important about this boy anyway that Elrod had to save and adopted? Estel was only a human child, yes no child should died in such a young age, specially a human, but he was just a common boy surely.

Elrohir couldn’t sleep that night. He had failed his father and brother. More importantly, he had failed Estel.

As tears fell down from his face, he muttered a song that Bilbo, a hobbit many times visited Rivendell that sang to Estel right before he fell sleep... For many times, he himself listened too, remembering the times with his mother.

-

“Home is behind.
The world is ahead.
And there are many paths to tread.
Through shadow,
to the edge of the night
Until the stars come a light.


Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade.
All shall fade.
All shall fade... ”
(6)


-

(End of Chapter)


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Words:
3,670

Also, to those to ask me about Brura: Brura is somewhat crazy. But come on! Would you be little insane in the head when your heavily pregnant with your 5th child, and was told that your husband and your three sons was killed in battle? God, I hope it would never happen to me.

Anyway, thanks for the Reviews!

(1) Mate (to those do not know): a husband or wife; A suitable companion; a match; an equal; One who customarily associates with another; a companion; an associate; any object which is associated or combined with a similar object. To me, orcs wouldn’t say wife or husband to each other, but like “mate”.

(2) Adrienne: meaning “dark one”.

(3) Danica: meaning “the morning star”

(4) Aluin: Filipino form of English Alvin, meaning “elf friend”

(5) Lord of the Rings: “Steward of Gondor”. I seen GREAT video clips of it. I know one that has this song and “Brothers” Fullmetal Alchemist in English. If yeh want here is the website: youtube. com/ watch?v bzkP043uJvc

“Good Orc(s) Challenge”: To any Author out there that wish to do this Challenge. The story must be about one or group(s) of orcs that are "good", different from the Orcs that we see from the movies & books. In the story, you must show the way these orcs live, their families and their way of life, such as: their customs, their religion etc. Also make a believable excuse WHY and HOW these orcs are "good". In this Challenge, you must write a reasonable way to get these orcs to help any LotR Character that you choose; doesn't matter where in the time line, it is your choice. The Plot of the story is also your choice. This Challenge is NOT a one-shot. It MUST be a more then one chapter story. Good luck.

AND PLEASE, if you do this Challenge notify me, so I read it. :)

Read and Review

--FireChildSlytherin5
Sign up to rate and review this story