Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Losing Teeth

reinventing the wheel to run myself over

by juicygirl 0 reviews

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Characters: Frank Iero - Published: 2007-11-05 - Updated: 2007-11-05 - 1543 words

0Unrated
Chapter Two
Reinventing the wheel to run myself over


A little boy was asking his mother for a candy bar out of the vending machine. An old man was coughing over his cup of coffee as he sat at a table alone. A tall blonde man was arguing on the phone with what seemed to be his wife. The steady hum of the air-conditioning system was gently roaring in the background as the muffled bass line pumped through the earphones that sat around her neck. A cell phone was ringing somewhere behind her and a TV bolted to the ceiling in a corner of the room screamed the latest news headlines- more suffering, fear, and four door sedans. Sarah sat at one of the food court style tables as she drew on a napkin and worked on becoming invisible.

She had been with her ‘uncle’ for two and a half weeks now and with no set end in sight. It wasn’t the worst… at least, not as bad as she thought it would be. He was in the music business and currently traveling with one of the bands he managed. She had heard of them but their music wasn’t really her scene. Everyone here seemed nice, but she didn’t need any new friends. She tried to stay as far away from everyone as she could.

She knew they all talked about her. She knew what they all thought of her. What did she give a fuck? She sighed and looked around. They were at a rest stop… everyone was stretching their legs, getting some food, or taking a shit. She watched as some guys she recognized sat down a few tables away from her… they were laughing. She turned away and rested her head against the cool glass of the window. ‘God, what am I doing’ she thought to herself. She felt someone standing next to her but she didn’t turn around. They took the liberty of sitting themselves across from her.

“So…” She still didn’t look up.

“So…” The person sighed and she closed her eyes.

“You don’t say much, huh?” She clenched her eyes shut as hard as she could. For some reason, no matter how much she worked on it she could never become invisible when it counted. She gave up and lifted her head to look at him. “Well, I don’t know… I guess I didn’t expect us to be old buddies or anything, you know… ahh I don’t know. I’m not good with awkward situations.” She rolled her eyes. You could definitely see the family resemblance.

“Okay Joe. What do you want to talk about?” He tapped the fingers of his right hand on the table and rested his chin on the other.

“Well… how are you? How are you feeling?”

“Okay…” There was a long stretch of silence.

“Well… okay then.” His chair scraped against the floor as he got up. “ Uh, we’ll be leaving in fifteen, okay? Don’t want to get left behind…” He attempted what seemed to be a friendly smile and turned to leave. She watched him go with disdain. What did he expect? What did he want, a thank you card? Was he crazy? God…

She made her way outside and pursed her lips as the cool autumn air enveloped her frame. If there was one thing left that could almost make her smile, it was outside… the air, the trees, all of it. As the breeze danced passed her and gave her goose bumps she felt alive and that was as good as feeling healthy, wasn’t it? She could hear someone talking around the side of the building. Their voice was soft but she could still recognize the anger in it and she couldn’t help herself… she slowed down to listen.

“I don’t know what you want me to do about it, I’m doing the best I can out here” It was a man. She could almost recognize his voice but no face came to mind so she stopped to hear more. She was reminded of when she was a little girl sneaking around her house to watch her parents argue, bathed in the iridescent glow of the television.

“I am doing this for us. I’m doing this because I need to, you know that…….. Jesus Christ what more can I do for you? No seriously, honestly I’m asking you………… I have no idea what to say to that…….. Oh for fucks sake, why don’t you just tell me what you want to hear so I can get off the phone and go to sleep already?........ ugh look, I’m sorry I only meant- Hello? Hello? Are you- Yeah that’s great. That’s really fucking lovely. Just hang the fuck up on me.” Sarah moved away from wall and walked back toward the busses. She could still faintly make out the string of curses he was unleashing in the not so far distance behind her. She smiled the tiniest smile… it was nice to know she wasn’t the only one going to sleep miserable that night.


* Next Day *

It was raining. Everyone was bummed but Sarah. She loved the rain. When she awoke to the sound of it hammering the roof of the bus she knew it was going to be a good day. She slipped on her rain boots and managed to sneak outside without anyone noticing her. She had no idea where they were. It looked like another rest stop. They pretty much all looked the same… motel, park, bathrooms and vending machines, a large main building stocked with maps and other useless shit. She looked towards the sky and smiled her first real smile since leaving her house almost three weeks ago. It made the muscles of her face feel strained and tired, like they had forgotten how to form a smile. She walked along a path and held her hands out to catch as many raindrops as she could. She walked as if she were dancing inside.

She missed her own bed. She had spent so much time there, lying alone in her room. Why did everyone think that being alone was an illness that needed a cure? It wasn’t her fault… no one understood her. How could anyone understand the way she needed her pain… how she gathered it up and held it to her body like your lungs hold on to that last gasping breath of oxygen? She loved her loneliness and her misery… and she didn’t want anyone to take it from her.

Anyway, she wasn’t sad ALL the time. ‘I’m not sad now’ she thought as she twirled around and splashed in puddles. She sat down on a picnic bench and rested her chin in her hands. She needed a way out. She had to get away from her mother and her past and all the bad things that hung over her life… if she could distance herself from all that, she would be okay, wouldn’t she? They think that this is the answer… but eventually she’ll have to go back home, right? Is that the answer?

She was so wrapped up in her own thoughts she didn’t even notice anyone approach her. She jumped when he cleared his throat and turned to face him the words ‘fuck off’ ready in the back of her throat. He was wearing a bright red sweatshirt and what looked like pajama pants. His sleeves were pulled down past his wrists and covering his hands which his kept close to his body balled up in little fists of red cotton. He had the hood pulled up over his head which seemed ridiculous since it was soaked all the way through and water was dripping down his forehead and off his nose anyway. He just stood there, gawking at her. She glared back and smirked as he started to fidget.

“What are you doing out here?” He tilted his head to the side as he said this.

“What are YOU doing out here?” She moved her toes around in her boots… she had been sitting for so long there were little puddles of rain in them.

“Everyone is looking for you. Joe thinks you ran away.”

“Maybe I should.”

“Yeah… maybe.” She narrowed her eyes at him. “I know you were listening to me last night.” She just glared at him.

……Silence…..

“Yeah well, in the future maybe you should try to mind your own fucking business.” She sighed and jumped off the table. Her feet made squishy noises as she walked.

“Whatever… it’s not my fault I heard you. If it was a private conversation maybe you should have it someplace more… ya know, private.”

They walked back to the busses in silence. Joe was standing there and started waving his hands in the air when he saw her. She tried not to laugh. Mr. Cool emo hoodie guy (whose name was Frank, she later found out) stalked off in the opposite direction. She watched him go and wondered if they might become the best of friends after all.
Sign up to rate and review this story