Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Tall, Dark, and Tattooed

Part Deux

by killertrend 3 reviews

Harper gets a phone call...and a feline-induced injury.

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: G - Genres: Romance - Published: 2007-11-24 - Updated: 2007-11-24 - 776 words

0Unrated
A.N.- thanks to everyone who's read! And reviewed! :] I really really appreciate, especially since this is my first fic. Enjoy the next chapter!

With a noisy clatter Harper dropped her keys on the pristine white counter top, spotless despite it's peeling Formica. She wrinkled her nose at the acrid scent of disinfectant and air freshener. If her roommate was anything, it was clean.

The rest of the barista's day had gone by fairly uneventfully. She had finished her shift at the coffee shop before heading to the offices of OUTright magazine, the leading alternative fashion 'zine in Chicago. Hoping for a free lance photography job, Harper was disappointed to find out they only accepted the work of full-time employees. As if her day really needed to get any worse.

"Emmie? Are you home?" she called down the narrow hallway towards their bedrooms. Silence greeted her waiting ears. Frowning slightly to herself, Harper glanced around the kitchen, spotting a note taped to the refrigerator.

"Hey Harp! I'm going out tonight with a guy I met at the post office. Haha, I know, but he seems nice. I probably won't be back till 10 or 11. Much love, Emmie." Smiling, Harper threw the piece of paper in the trash. At least she would have the apartment all to herself for the night.

Flopping down in front of the TV, she zipped through the channels, the light flashing on the darkened walls around her. MTV suddenly flared to life on the screen, the wail of guitars and screaming fans drawing her attention. Then, as if fate was hell-bent on mocking her, Peter Wentz appeared in all his emo-rock glory. They were showing an old Fall Out Boy video. Just Harper's luck.

After the events of that morning, she had convinced herself the bassist was just looking for someone to flirt with. She had no real hope for him calling her, he was a rock star after all. And she, well, she was no groupie. She hadn't even known who the poor guy was! Sighing heavily, she flipped the television off. There had to be a better way to spend a Thursday night.

The young twenty-something wasn't awarded much time to think on this though, as her cell phone went off loudly from the pocket of her jeans. Fumbling for it, she accidentally kicked Emmie's cat who had decided to cuddle up with her. Hissing in annoyance, it jumped off the sofa and disappeared under the coffee table.
"Hello?" Harper nearly yelled into the phone, trying to see where the finicky feline had gone.

"Um, Harper?" came a slightly distant voice on the other line, as though they were talking away from the phone.

"Yea, who is this?" her fingers brushed against fur and she yelped when claws sunk into her hand. Apparently Blossom, as Emmie had named the tabby, was still upset.

"It's Pete. From the coffee shop this morning? Are you uh, ok?" Harper almost dropped the phone as the voice became very recognizable. He had actually called her.

"Oh, hi. Um, yeah, I'm fine. Blossom scratched me that's all." she bit back a nervous giggle. Giggling was for teenagers.

"Oh ok. And Blossom would be? I'm hoping not your roommate?" Pete laughed richly, a deep, merry sound that seemed to rumble through the receiver. Harper grinned.

"No, no. Her cat actually. So, how are you?"

"Fine. You?"

"Oh, good thanks." An awkward silence stretched between them, both listening to the other's breathing.

"Well-"they both spoke at the same instant. Harper felt the blood rush to her cheeks, blushing even though the exchange was over the phone.

"Sorry." she murmered.

"No, it's fine. Are you busy tomorrow night?" The question caught her off guard and Harper couldn't find her voice for a few moments.

"I, well, I no! No, I'm not busy." She slapped a hand to her forehead, wincing as her ring hit skin. Try having a little more tact, she thought to herself.

"Oh, cool, do you want to maybe go out? Like, dinner maybe?" Pete sounded almost nervous too she noted with a small smile.

"Sure, that sounds great."

"Awesome. I'll call you tomorrow with the details alright?" he sounded relieved, as if he thought her answer was going to be no.

"Alright. Bye Pete." Harper couldn't stop grinning, a full-blown, toothy smile at war with her lips.

"Bye Harper." Snapping her phone shut, she nearly did a jig, pent up excitement starting to flood from her system.

"YES!!" she cried delightedly. "I've got a date Blossom!"

The russet and black cat merely blinked at her before stalking off haughtily, tail held high. Humans.
Sign up to rate and review this story