Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > I Only Think In The Form Of Crunching Numbers___x

Chapter 3: Walking Out On You’s Still The Best Thing That I Ever Did

by VikkiMole 3 reviews

Quickly finding my shoes, that now have little chew marks on the heel, thanks Hemmy, I grab my keys and wallet, say goodbye to Hemmingway, and literally run down the corridor. I stop at the end and...

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Published: 2007-11-25 - Updated: 2007-11-25 - 1657 words

0Unrated
Woke up way too early with my eyes stinging from the sun coming through the naked windows. I’d crashed on the couch wearing Ash’s red hoodie and Hemmy was snoring away on my bed. Role reversal or what? It’s eight o’ clock and Im dreading having to see her in an hour. I decide that hanging around mopping isn’t going to do me any good. Besides, I have work in a couple of hours. If I’m going to get fired, I might as well be presentable. I glide my way to the bathroom and throw off my clothes. Not even being naked can cheer me up today. Running some water in the sink, I splash the cold water over my face in an attempt to wake myself up a little. My eyes are bloodshot and sad. Passing a comb through my messy, knotted hair I try to make it stay in a style, any style. It didn’t work.

Giving up, I go in search of my suit that I’d throw somewhere yesterday. Finding it in a pile by the couch, I slowly slip into it, not really caring how neat I looked. Checking myself in the mirror I am quite surprised that I still look pretty good. Not really messy. Hemmingway wakes and comes to my side, joining me in analyzing my appearance. He barks at my reflection.

‘Yeah… I agree…’ I sigh, pulling socks on

Then I get an idea. I wouldn’t have to see that horrible bitch if I just went to work early. I nod, in agreement with myself. Quickly finding my shoes, that now have little chew marks on the heel, thanks Hemmy, I grab my keys and wallet, say goodbye to Hemmingway, and literally run down the corridor. I stop at the end and swear loudly before running back to lock the door. Finished with my moment of stupidity, I rush to my car and jump in. Starting it in record time, I squeal around the parking lot and speed off towards A’tude HQ.

Taking my usual spot, I park and lock up my car. I check my watch. Damn, Eight thirty. I don’t even have to be in the office ‘til ten. Starting to regret my idea, I scuffle my way over to the local Starbucks. Just before I get there however, I hear the stunning singing voice that stops me in my tracks. Following my ears, as I rarely do, I come across the familiar face I was in search of in exactly the same spot as yesterday. Instead of going right over to him and freaking him out as I clearly did the last time, I choose to stand on the sideline and watch him for a little while. I’d never heard whatever song he was playing before, all I knew was, it was amazing.

‘Midwest love affair I bend when I am bored,
Late-night-liquor-blue will lead me to the floor.
Can we fake it? Can we make believe?
I'm so full of love it deeply sickens me.

But all I could do is close my eyes,
And cross my arms and hope to die,
Cause you don't fucking listen,
When I'm around.
The least you could do is take it back,
All the vicious remarks and verbal attacks,
Cause I can't fucking stand it,
When you're around

Midwest aftermath the rumors start to rise,
Did I truly do the things that you've described?
They must hate me, every single one,
It just sickens them what I consider fun.

But all I could do is close my eyes,
And cross my arms and hope to die,
Cause you don't fucking listen,
When I'm around.
The least you could do is take it back,
All the vicious remarks and verbal attacks,
Cause I can't fucking stand it,
When you're around.

But all I could do is close my eyes,
And cross my arms and hope to die,
Cause you don't fucking listen,
When I'm around.
The least you could do is take it back,
All the vicious remarks and verbal attacks,
Cause I can't fucking stand it,
When you're around.

No, I can't fucking stand it when you're around.
No, I can't fucking stand it when you're around.’ He sang, eyes closed at the chorus, fingers moving at blinding speed.

A few passers-by clapped once he’s finished, including me. Before he could begin another song, I crept slowly towards him, smiling. Come to think about it, I probably looked kinda creepy to any onlooker.

‘Hey again Patrick’ I say, hiding my nerves

‘Oh.. Hello Pete…’ He smiled, I tried not to pay much attention to his hands shaking

‘That was really good,’ I say, complete honestly, ‘That song you were playing… I’ve never heard it before…’

‘Yeah..’ He answers, airily, distracted, ‘I.. Um.. Wrote it..’

My eyes went wide. It was an amazing song. He wrote it? This kid has some serious talent. Why he was just busking, I have no idea. This guy could go pro.

‘You’re unbelievable Pat’ I nodded, still looking in awe.

He grimaced.

‘Urgh.. Don’t call me that’ He laughed, ‘That’s my mom’s name…’

‘Oh..’ I laughed along, ‘Sorry.. Trick..’

‘Trick…’ He said, considering it, ‘I like it’

‘Good… ‘ I smile, checking my watch again, 9 o’ clock

‘Eager to leave?’ He asks, looking a little disappointed

‘Nope…’ I shake my head, ‘Just wondering if I had enough time to take you to get some coffee’

He giggled, a little girly, but cute anyway.

‘And do you?’ He replied, trying not to sound hopeful but clearly failing

‘I believe so.’ I say plainly, waving him over, ‘Come on..’

I instructed him to take a table near the window as I went to get some coffee. On asking what he wanted his answer was simply ‘whatever’, looking at me very gratefully. I returned in record time with two hot lattes. He thanked me and placed his in front of him.

‘Look…’ I hesitate, ‘Umm… I don’t want to sound nosey or whatever.. but.. Uh.. How old are you?’

He swallowed his mouthful of hot coffee and placed his hand over his mouth, indicating that it was in fact really hot, making me laugh.

‘I’m… Seventeen’ He coughed, wiping his mouth, ‘You?’

‘I’m Twenty two’ I sigh, sipping my drink, ‘I feel old’

He chuckled then hiccuped, I raised an eyebrow at him.

‘You’re not old…’ He grinned, ‘Old is like… Thirty…’

I almost spat my coffee out from trying to drink and snigger at the same time.

‘ You’re so weird…’ I shook my head, he faked looking insulted and batted me with a napkin.

It was weird. This kid was infectious. He laughed, you’d want to laugh. He’d smile, you’d want to smile. He’d act weird, I took it a little further.

‘Hey.. You meanie’ I frowned, stealing the napkin and putting it under his hat.

He sat completely still. Not laughing. Not smiling. Looking pretty damn blank. To be honest, I worried. I thought, shit, what have I done wrong. After staring at each other for about five minutes, neither saying a word, he slowly shook his head.

‘And you call me weird…’ He began laughing

‘Hey… Trick…?’ I ask carefully, he cocks his head to the side

‘Uhh… Yeah?’ He answered, pulling the napkin from his trucker hat

‘Do… you mind if I ask you some questions?’ I rub the back of my neck, ‘I don’t want to seem intrusive but.. well, I’m just curious’

‘Uh… Sure…’ He shrugged, ‘What do you want to know?’

I inhale first, finishing off my coffee, preparing myself.
‘Why do you busk?’ I ask, ‘I’m serious… You’re really good… You could go far man.’

‘I don’t busk for the money…’ He nodded, put emphasis on the point, ‘I do it for the music…’

‘Really?’ I ask, sounding more surpised than I should’ve

He looked at me a confused.

‘Well…’ I try to explain, ‘I’m not saying it’s a bad thing or whatever. It’s just… I meet these people through work who play music for the money and not the music like at all…’

‘I hate those people’ He shook his head, playing with his cup.

‘God, I wish I was into music’ I admit, ‘My girlfriend.. Well.. Ex girlfriend… She was a singer… I hated her music’

‘So, Why aren’t you?’ He asks, looking very interested

‘I don’t know…’ I rub my eyes, ‘I just don’t have the time I guess…’

Patrick was now shaking his head furiously in disbelief.

‘Don’t have time for music?’ He smiled, ‘What do you do in your spare time?’

‘Work…’ I grummbled,

It was true. All I seemed to do was work. Patrick pulled a cellphone out of his pocket and started messing around with it.

‘What’s your number?’ He asked, not looking up from his cell

‘Why?’ I ask, watching him

‘I’m going to teach you music’ He smiled, still looking down.

I gave him my number and check my watch one last time. I couldn’t believe it. I had been talking to him for over an hour . If I didn’t leave this very second, I was going to be late.

‘Shit…’ I mumbled, standing up. ‘Sorry Trick, gotta go’

He nodded.
‘Okay…’ He said, catching my eye, ‘I’ll call you later’

‘Yeah, you better’ I laugh, ‘Later Trick’

‘Later Pete’

I didn’t want to leave him. I didn’t want to go to work. I didn’t want to talk to my boss. I didn’t want to get fired. I didn’t want to get shit from Ash’s father. I didn’t want to watch my world explode. I didn’t have a choice.
Sign up to rate and review this story