Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Beautifully Broken

Chapter One: There's A Light On In Chicago

by falloutbaby89 3 reviews

Two years later. Lynn discovers the band

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: R - Genres: Humor,Romance - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2007-12-11 - Updated: 2007-12-12 - 3043 words

0Unrated
Two years after

I woke up to a loud blaring noise emitted from my wonderful alarm clock on my bedside table. I hit the, as I would assume and hope is the stop button, only to accidentally smash it to the floor. Damn, another alarm clock ruined. Wait, isn’t it Saturday today? This is the one-day I value the most, as it is the day I don’t have to wake up for class or go to work. I groaned as the sun hit my eyes and cursed out as loud as I could. I pulled the covers over my head only to have them pulled back by my so-called best friend and roommate James.

“Go fuck yourself, James,” I groaned, shielding my eyes from the harsh sun and curling up into the fetus position. I could hear him smirk.

“I would love to, but at the moment I can’t because you have to get out of bed,” James grinned. I could punch that grin off his face.

“You really are brave to wake me up at,” I grabbed his wrist to see the time, “nine ‘o clock on a Saturday morning. Need I remind you I value this day?”

“Well, I already know that but what kind of friend would I be if I weren’t the first one to say happy birthday to you? Especially when you’re turning the big 2-1?” he rolled his eyes and put his hand on his hip flamboyantly. I could swear he was gay, but he would always reassure me he is as straight as a frozen Popsicle stick. I will give him a maximum of three years to come out of the closet.

“Well, the best birthday present you could ever give me is another few hours of sleep. Please,” I whined, adding a pout for effect. He just wriggled his index face in my face.

“No Lynn I can’t give you those extra hours. I want to spend the day with you today before we have to go the club tonight with everyone else. Come on, I hardly get to spend quality time with you,” it was his turn to pout. James knew he could always get me with his pout, and so did his girlfriend Maxine.

James was the typical hot guy: light skin accentuated with very dark brown hair and crystal blue eyes. All the girls would swoon when he would look their way. Of course, being best friends with a “hottie” had its downfalls when you’re in high school, as all the girls would send you looks that could kill. If only they knew that I wouldn’t touch James in the way they wished to touch him with a ten-foot poll. James and I have been best friends since pre-school. We were next-door neighbors when we stayed in New Jersey and when he attempted to show me how to tie my shoelaces, which only ended up in a huge knot; it was friend at first sight. After my mother’s funeral two years ago, he followed me out of New Jersey and into Chicago to start a new life so I could be as far away as possible from that man.

I looked back at James, trying not to give in to his pout. I eventually gave in and rolled my eyes. For a twenty-two year old he sure could melt a mother’s heart like a three year old.

“Fine James, we can go out today. Now get out of my room so I can get ready. And don’t think just because it is my birthday that I won’t curse you for waking me up so early,” I warned him, swinging my legs over the side of the bed. I stood up and stretched with all my glory.

“Oh please, as if you have the strength to do such a thing. Where will you find another best friend like me?”

I started making my way to the bathroom and said “find-a-best-friend dot com,” and just before I shut the door I heard him yell out “bitch”. I smirked at myself.


We’ve been shopping for at least three hours and my feet were killing me. Of course, James having the amount of money he had was able to buy almost everything he saw while I had to resort to as much as my wallet would allow me to buy and window-shopping. Unlike me, James still had his parents who were both business moguls and he was the youngest making him the most spoiled in the family. Me being a college student with a job at the record store didn’t give me the opportunity to bask in the luxury of spending as much money as I could. Not that I was complaining, because the last thing I need is people treating me like a charity.

“James, for the love of God can we please take a chill. My feet feel like they are going to detach themselves from my body and find a place to be!”

“Lynn stop over-exaggerating. We’ve only been walking around for probably three hours,” he flipped me off with his hand. I gave him a look as if to say you’re shitting me right and crossed my arms in front of my chest.

“I swear James if we don’t leave now I will not go out tonight. I will rather sit at home and knit and just maybe invite Ben and Jerry over. My feet are killing me,” I stated the last part firmly. He saw the seriousness in my face and huffed.

“Fine, but we’re not going before we get you a birthday present,” he started pulling me by the arm but I stopped him abruptly. He turned to look at me in confusion.

“Aren’t you supposed to have it wrapped and surprise me and make me guess what it is, instead of going with me to purchase it?” I asked

“Well I am going to surprise that is for sure, but I kind of need your physical assistance with this,” he informed me, pulling me once again by the arm and making our way to whatever store he wanted to take me.

“Need my physical assistance? What are you buying me a ring or something?” I asked, with a hint in my voice.

“Yeah right you wish I would buy you a ring. I already bought you a locket for your sixteenth birthday and earrings with a matching bracelet for your eighteenth. Now I am buying you something else,” and with that statement we stopped in front of Victoria’s Secret. I looked at him in bewilderment. He had to be joking right?

“James what are we doing here?”

“We are here to find some sexy underwear for you. You’re twenty-one, believe me you will definitely need some sometime soon,” he shoved me into the store. I was about to protest when an older and smaller woman than me made her way towards. With my already small 5’2” frame, I didn’t think anyone could be smaller.

“Hello my name is Dorothy, is there anything I can help you with?” she asked sweetly. I was about to say something when James opened his big mouth.

“Afternoon Dorothy, I am James. Remember I talked to you yesterday about your latest shipment of lingerie and that I was bringing my friend to look at them? Well here she is,” he pushed me in front of the elder lady. He looked back at me, “I will be back in half an hour. I have things to take care of for tonight. Cheers,” he ran out.

“James come back here, James!” I called after him. Of course he ignored me and I had no choice but to stay here. I turned back at Dorothy and faked a smile. Oh this is going to be a long thirty minutes.


Forty-five minutes later James showed up finally. He smiled at me and made his way over to me.
“Did you get all that you wanted?” he asked with a smirk.

“Of course I did. And don’t think it didn’t cost anything, you deserved to be punished for what you did,” I folded my arms in front of my chest. He shook his head in amusement and walked over to the cash register, which a younger woman than Dorothy stood. She was more of help than Dorothy; all things Dorothy showed me were pink, I am not much of a fan of pink. Once James paid for everything we walked out of the store and thanked Dorothy and the younger girl who’s name I found out was Amy.

“I can’t believe you made me purchase lingerie! What the hell am I going to use it for?” I shot back at James once we were clearly out of the store. He smiled.

“Come on Lynn, you’re old enough to start wearing sexier underwear than what you have at home. Plus, who knows what’s going to happen tonight? You might end up fucking at the back of the tour bus with one of the band members that will be performing tonight,” he smirked, only to let out an oww when I smacked him hard on his arm.

“There will be no such thing from me tonight,” I pointed to him. “In any case, I’ve decided to become a lesbian, you know I don’t open up to men that easily,” I said.

“Yeah right, the day you become a lesbian is the day I’ll become a vegan which will never happen,” he said, flopping his arm around my shoulders and leading me to the car.


“Kara, what band is performing tonight? James won’t tell me,” I yelled over the loud music to my friend. She shrugged while sipping on her drink, and then slightly bent to my level.

“I think they’re called Fall Out Boys or something. I’ve never heard of them but they are apparently huge. Shows that I have been living under a rock,” she shook her head, taking another sip.

“I’ve never really heard much of them either. I think I know one of their songs though, something to do with sugar going down or something,” I shrugged. I’ve never really been a big fan of mainstream music. I took a gulp of my Mojito and looked around me. Half these people I didn’t even know and it was my birthday party. James and I decided to rent out the club for the night but it seemed like the people he invited were more than I imagined. Never the less, I wasn’t going to send them out. As long as we were all having a good time and no one got hurt, I was good.

I looked down at the watch wrapped around my wrist, it was only ten thirty, but it felt like it was already midnight. I was actually looking forward to hearing this band that James admitted were awesome. For his sake and mine I really hoped he was right.

Taking the last sip out of my strong Mojito, I went back to order another drink, this time a Southern Comfort and Lime. I think the barman was trying to take me home with him tonight because the drinks were stronger than normal, and being as small as I am I can already feel my head buzzing. I heard sounds of guitars tuning and the traditional tuning of drums and turned to look at the stage. Four guys stood upon it with their respective instruments, three of them making their way to their microphones. The drummer was already sitting behind his drums with his shirt off.
The bassist, as I assumed from where I was standing I could see his guitar had a much longer neck than the other two’s guitars, tapped the microphone before speaking.

“Hey guys wassup?” he screamed. That dude has some serious lungs. I started making my way to the front of the crowd where I could see them better. On my way there I prayed to God that a mosh-pit wouldn’t start during the performance. Finally making my way there, I let out a breath that I was holding while squeezing myself through the crowd. The guy continued to speak, “we don’t actually do private parties but since we are in Chicago with nothing else better to do we decided to come and tear this motherfucking place down. Besides Patrick here needs find a new hobby than always crash at Joe’s place.” Everyone in the crowd laughed including me. The guys onstage joined in the laughter. The guy standing in the middle seemed to blush and scratch the back of his hat-covered head with a smile. Cute, he’s shy.
“Very funny Pete,” he said to the bassist. I guess they were talking about him. The crowd and the rest of the band calmed down.

The sound of guitars blaring out loud made me jump a little. Not such a smart idea to stand so close to the speakers. The guy with the hat stood closer to his mic and started singing.

You only hold me up like this, cause you don’t know who I really am.
Sometimes I just want to know what it’s like to be you

Wow, this boy has got a voice.

We’re making out inside crashed cars
We’re sleeping through all out memories
I used to waste my time dreaming of being alive
(Now I only waste my time dreaming of you)

Did I mention that this guy could sing? Wow, I already found my reason to like this band.

I listened intently to all their songs, each sounding better than the one before and the singer’s voice sounding even better. I should thank James for getting this band.

They finished about an hour and a half later as if they were performing for a concert. The bassist took the mic again.

“Thanks guys for making our first night in Chicago since God knows when fucking awesome. Feel free to make an appearance next summer tour. Peace out fuckers,” he screamed out fuckers as if it were the most exciting word ever. The band made their way backstage. I made my way back to the bar again; this time I only ordered a soda. I still needed to make my way home, knowing James he would make me drive.

I turned around intending to go backstage and thank the band for coming when I bumped into another body, making me almost spill my drink all over my chest. Wouldn’t that have been a sight? I looked to see whom I bumped when I realized the head was familiar. The hat made it harder to see the face, but I could distinguish some of the features: it was the singer of the band.

“I am so sorry for that, I couldn’t make my way gracefully through the crowd. Luckily I didn’t make you spill your drink,” he said. He had his hands in his pockets and looked down most of the time. I realized he wasn’t much taller than me, probably only two inches more.

I smiled at him, trying to make things less awkward. “It’s fine,” I assured him, “I know it’s quite a mission to get through the crowd. You played really well up there. I was actually going to come backstage and thank you guys before you left.”

“Thanks,” from the lighting in the club I could see him slightly blush. “So I am guessing you’re the birthday girl?” he said, lifting his head up so I could see his eyes. Wow, they’re amazing and green. And guess what, I’m a sucker for green eyes. Joyous.

“Yeah I am, I’m finally 21,” I smiled, showing my excitement. He laughed at my giddiness.

“Well then I guess it’s only appropriate for me to say happy birthday and congratulations on finally being legal to drink. I can assume this is not the first time you had an alcoholic beverage,” he smirked. I giggled.

“Yeah I am not as innocent as I look. You’d be surprised.” A guy with curly brown hair who launched himself onto the singer cut our conversation short.

“Yo Trick we gotta go. Remember we got curfew for tomorrow’s meeting,” he said then looked at me. “Hey I am Joe,” he introduced himself and held out his hand. I shook it and introduced myself back.

“I’m Lynn,” I smiled. He pointed at me, in question.

“You’re the birthday girl aren’t you?”

“Guilty as charged,” I nodded.

“Oh well happy birthday,” he hugged me. He let go of me and turned to whom I acknowledged as Trick. Please don’t tell me that’s his name. Wait, I remember the bassist calling him Patrick. That sounds better. “Dude, we really gotta go. You know how Pete can get in the mornings. We don’t need that especially tomorrow.”

“Yeah I am coming, I’ll be with you guys in a minute,” Patrick said, patting Joe on the back to assure him he will be out soon. Once Joe left he turned back to me. “So much for wanting to get a drink. Maybe I’ll see you around. We’ll be here for a while and I walk around a lot.”

“Yeah we probably will bump into one another soon. I don’t have much of a life in any case,” I laughed. His next action surprised me, as he engulfed me in a hug. He smelled of sweat and cologne, but never the less great. He let go of me and stood back.

“Thanks for a great audience. And enjoy the rest of your birthday,” he winked and made his way out of the club.

I watched him as he made his way out and let out a loud sigh. Why can’t most guys be short enough for me and cute like him? He just had to be a rock star.
Sign up to rate and review this story