Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > How To Save A Life

Homecoming

by gerard_is_my_savior 1 review

Gerard takes Avenue home to Jersey to meet his family. Then, while shopping, Gerard finds her the perfect Christmas gift.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: G - Genres: Romance - Characters: Frank Iero,Gerard Way,Mikey Way - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2008-01-12 - Updated: 2008-01-13 - 2630 words - Complete

0Unrated
So, this is a long one, to hopefully keep you occupied. I have basketball tournements ALL this week and next Saturday. But I suppose that's what I get for being ranked number one in 1A girl's baskeball in the entire state of Kansas. Oh yeah. You know it! But, enjoy, and thanks for the reveiws! Love you all!
-Autumn Lynn Mumford







The airplane ride to Jersey made Avenue a little woozy. "I've never been on an airplane," she explained when Gerard asked. "And it scares me."
Gerard just smiled and took her hand. It was simple to get her on the airplane, unlike Mikey had thought. They had wheelchair-wide isles and plenty of room. Getting her wheelchair from the hospital entrance to the limo and the limo the airport entrance was the hardest part. The ice was really slick, from the snowstorm that night, but it was a clear day. Gerard was feeling extremely happy, being able to go home and be with Avenue.
“Gee is sure holding his head up,” Frank observed.
“Yeah, I’m glad he’s finally happy. Lately, I’ve been really worried he would slip into the old Gerard,” Mikey agreed, nodding his head.
“Do you think they will get married someday?” Frank asked. “Because I just LOVE weddings so much! All the beautiful dresses, and the flowers!” He leaned over onto Mikey. “Oh, when will I ever get married? Baby, when will you set a date!? I have such a lovely ring and such a lovely man, and still no wedding!”
Mikey rolled his eyes and pushed him off. “God, Frank, do you ever stop?” He teased.
“When are you going to set a date?” he asked.
“This is going to be the longest plane ride of my life,” Mikey sighed. “But I wouldn’t have it any other way.”
“Is that going in your wedding vows?” He asked, with a serious tone.
“Oh, Jesus!”



“Oh, Avenue, I’m so glad to finally meet you!” Donna exclaimed, giving her a hug. They were all in the living room. Her wheelchair sat next the end of the sofa, where Gerard sat. Donna, Gerard’s and Mikey’s mother, sat across from them. Frank, as usual, was looking for something to eat and Mikey was sitting in the recliner, worn out from Frank’s antics the entire trip.
“Thank you, Ms. Way. I’m glad to be here. And your home is beautiful. You are really good at decorating.” The entire house was decorated in an assortment of lovely decorations. It wasn’t tacky or over-bearing, but it was definitely festive.
“Oh, aren’t you a sweetheart! Gerard, why don’t you entertain her with something while I start dinner? Avenue, what a beautiful name by the way, for such a beautiful girl, do you like ham?”
“Yes, ham sounds wonderful, Ms. Way.”
“Call me Donna. And I make a delightful brown sugar glaze to go over it and mashed potatoes. I know you will love it!” She smiled once more before turning into the kitchen.
“Franklin Anthony Thomas Iero, get out of this kitchen this instance! My Lord, how do you stay so skinny, eating like you do?”
“Sorry, Donna, but you know I just love everything you cook and can’t stay away from it!”
“No one likes a suck-up Franklin. Now, get out of here or you’re not getting any dinner.”
“You don’t mean that.”
“Frankie!” Mikey yelled, hopping out of the recliner and running into the kitchen. “Sorry, Mom, he was like this on the plane too. Frank, come on!” He grabbed onto the back of his shirt and drug him out of the kitchen. “Honestly, Frank, do you ever think?”
Avenue was trying to suppress a laugh, but she couldn’t and let it out. “I’ve never heard you laugh before,” Gerard said to her. “I love it.”
She smiled at him.
“And the answer is yes, I sure do think. Just like I’ve been thinking about our wedding since the first day we met. I don’t appreciate this lolly-gagging you’re doing!”

“This is delicious, Mom. Thank you,” Mikey said.
“You are very welcome, Michael, and how do you like it, Avenue?” she asked. They were all seated at the kitchen table.
“This is very good, Donna. I mean, the last thing I had before here was hospital food and Taco Bell, so this is like, WOW.”
“I’m very glad you like it. My boys could never do much in the kitchen, but, well, there is hope for Franklin, considering his love for food.”
Frankie was already on his thirds. He flashed a weak smile and slowly lowered the bowl of mashed potatoes.
“So, it’s the 20th, and Christmas is in 5 days, and I want to know what everyone would like for it. I just love the holidays,” Ms. Way announced.
“Get me food,” Frank said blatantly. “And make sure you cook it and when you wrap it, wrap it with like food-themed wrapping paper.”
“Mom, I was kind of wanting an XBOX 360, you know, those new ones. I figured it’s so sweet and we have a TV in the tour bus and stuff, so it would go together. Like your homemade peach cobbler and vanilla ice cream,” Mikey said, spooning green beans into his mouth.
“Yeah, mom, and if you get that, get Halo 3. It has these new cool graphics and stuff. It is really sweet! Like, I was playing it in Wal-Mart a couple weeks ago, and it was really fun.”
“They have Dead! on Guitar Hero 2 for XBOX. And I wanna see if I can beat it. Like, I wrote the music, so how hard would playing it on a game be?” Frank asked.
“Okay, boys, I know what you want. You want it every year, food and videogames. But I want to know what our guest wants,” Donna said.
Avenue lowered her fork and Gerard turned to face her. “Well…” she began. “I don’t know. Having a family is all I really wanted. And you gave that to me.”
Donna smiled and looked at Gerard. “You picked a good one,” she mouthed to him.
“She picked me,” he mouthed back.


“How do you like it here?” Gerard asked. They were lying in bed that night in his basement bedroom. Avenue’s head was resting on his chest, listening to his calm heartbeat.
“I love it here,” she said. “I absolutely love it.”
“You know,” Gerard said. “We don’t know a lot about each other.”
“I know a lot about you,” Avenue told him.
“Well, of course. But I want to know more about you. Tell me about yourself.”
“My full name is Avenue Layne Monroe. My favorite color is pink. When I was six my friend dared me to swim across the Arkansas River and I nearly downed, all my favorite songs are sung by you. My birthday is May 10th and I’m a turaus. I have THE weirdest laugh on the face of the planet. And if I laugh to hard, I will start to hiccup. My favorite pop is Dr. Pepper and I just love nacho cheese Doritos. I come from a tiny town in Kansas called Bushton, where my graduating class size was like 23 kids, and that was with everyone graduating. I love videogames, dogs and…” She paused. “And I loved to run.”
Gerard’s face softened. He kissed the top of her head. “Avenue,” he whispered. “I will see fit that you walk again.” It was then he felt the warm tears on his bare chest.
“Gerard, how will we ever go past this? How are we going to do anything? How are we going to sleep together if we want? How…”
She stopped when she felt Gerard’s soft hands against her skin. “We will find a way to do whatever we wish…” He whispered, reaching for the strap on her silk nightgown. He gently pulled it down, then the other.
“Are you sure?” she asked nervously. “I’ve never done this before, I just figured…”
Gerard pulled away. “If you aren’t ready, or don’t want to, I understand.”
“No, it’s not that… just never mind,” she said, kissing him. “Do what you wish.”
Gerard continued, taking her body into his, again and again. She moaned from the pain. “Shhh,” he whispered, but laughed. “We don’t want Mom to hear.” But the entire time, she couldn’t help it. When he went to reach for her legs to get anchorage, he slipped because her left leg wasn’t there and fell to the floor with a loud thud. She sat up then.
“Gerard!” she whispered loudly. “Are you alright?”
He was just lying on the carpet, laughing, wrapped in his comforter. “Baby, I can’t believe that just happened!”
“Gerard? Avenue? Are you alright?” Donna asked from the top of the basement stairs.
“Fuck!” Gerard whispered. “Yeah mom!” He yelled. “Were fine, I just rolled off the bed. It’s okay!”
“Okay, well, just be careful, okay sweetie?”
“Yes, mom!” He hollered up. He crawled back in bed. “Okay, so that was a failed attempt and I’m sorry.” He laid back.
Avenue remained sitting up. “You know,” she said. “I just lost my virginity to you, the man I always wanted to loose it too, and here I am, just thinking that sometimes dreams do come true.”
“Yeah, they do,” he said, smiling. “They sure do.”

--------------
“Kammeron, you may come out now,” said the man, opening the door. Kammeron was huddled in the corner of the room, trying to find some warmth.
“He left,” Kammeron whispered. “He’s gone.”
“What? Where the hell did he go?” The man asked, furious.
“I don’t know, but I saw him leave with Avenue in a limo yesterday.”
“They are treading on dangerous ground. But I’m sure he went back to New Jersey to introduce that little whore to his family.”
“Don’t you dare call her that! You little…”
“Calm down, boy. You need to lean how to control your anger, if you are ever going to catch them. You know I won’t allow you out if you are going to act this way.”
Kammeron took a deep breath and stood up. “I am ready.”
“Good,” the man said, holding open the door. “You may exit first.”

-----------------

“You know,” Donna said that morning over breakfast. “I’m going shopping downtown. And I was wondering if anyone would like to go?”
“I will,” Avenue said. “If that wouldn’t be a lot of trouble.”
“Of course not, sweetie. Boys, why don’t you come along too? You look like you haven’t been out anywhere for a while.”
“Sure, mom,” they all three said simultaneously. Even Frank called her mom when he knew there was no backing out of her ‘offers’.
After breakfast, Gerard carried Avenue out to the van, even through her pleads not too.
“Baby,” he said simply. “I will carry you to the end.”
She smiled when he said that.
When they arrived at the mall, Donna insisted taking Avenue around to have girl time while the boys could do ‘boy things’.

“So, we all heard that thunk last night, Mr. Way,” Frank teased as soon as they were out of Donna’s earshot.
“I simply rolled off the bed.”
“But you weren’t sleeping, were you?” Frank asked.
“Oh Mylanta, just shut up! God, that’s so nasty, I really don’t want to hear this!” Mikey said.
"I want to get that XBOX 360 really bad," Frank stated, sighing as they past gamestop.
"Look," Mikey said, as they walked past a Hot Topic. "They are selling our shirts. You know those ones you designed Gerard? Well, they're in there."
"Really?" he asked, taking to the window. "Holy Shit, they sure are."
"Those a pretty sweet. Brian didn't mention how cool the looked," Frank said. They all agreed.
“So, Gee, what are you getting her?” Frank asked, turning to Gerard.
“A ring.”
“Oh?” Mikey asked with curiosity.
“Yeah,” he said, stopping in front of a diamond store. “An engagement ring.”


“So, is Jersey everything you thought it might be?” Donna asked, pushing her into a clothing store.
“That and more,” she said, smiling.
“What kind of clothing do you wear sweetheart?” She asked as they made their way through the racks.
“Well, I used to wear a lot of skirts and jeans and stuff, but I can’t wear skirts anymore. I mean, not without weirding people out. No one wants to see one leg…”
“Oh, honey, you are beautiful. Look at yourself? Or have you in a while?”
She shook her head. Nurses at the hospital had given her baths, but she hadn’t looked at herself in the mirrors, not since like 3 hours before the concert.
Donna turned her to face a full body mirror by the dressing rooms. She looked at her long curly brown hair, her fair skin and green eyes.
“See,” she said. “You don’t even need makeup, but we can get some if you wish, anything you want.”
“Anything I want,” she whispered. “What an idea.”

"Which kind should I get? Like, how big?" Gee asked, walking around the display cases.
"Sir, how may I help you?" Asked a tall man, approaching Gerard.
"I want to get an engagement ring," he said. He smiled when he said that. Engagement ring, engagement ring, engagement ring. It sounded so nice.
"Well, we have a wonderful selection of diamonds..."
"What about birthstones? Like, what is May's birthstone?"
"Emerald," Mikey said.
"Yeah, do you have an emerald ring?" Gerard asked.
"Well..." the man began, trying to think. "I beleive so, follow me, sir."
Gerard smiled and followed the man to a small display case near the back of the store.
"We have these," he said, gesturing down.
Gerard put his face down, to where his nose almost touched the glass.
"Which one, guys?" he asked.
"See, Mikey, at leasy he asks people's opinions! What do you do besides just sit there and choose what you think best? Huh?"
Mikey rolled his eyes. "Gerard, choose that one," he said, pointing at a silver ring with a beautiful emerald jewel in the center.
The tall man bent over and unlocked the case and handed it to Gerard.
"This is pretty," he said, exaimining it. Next to the emerald was three small diamonds. "Nice choice, Mikey."
"Oh, and you couldn't get me somethng that nice?" Frank asked, pretending to be jealous.
"You didn't save my life," Mikey retorted.
"What size will you need the ring in sir?"
Gerard thought a moment. "What size do you wear?" he asked.
"Well, I wear about a size 7, but male and female hands are quite different..."
Gerard grabbed his hand, like he had done with Avenue's so many times before. "Feels close to the same. Except you need lotion. Avenue always wears lotion. But, yes, I will take it."
The man looked confused but shook it off. "Crazy rockstars," he mumbled.
After purchasing the ring and leaving the store, he handed it to Frank.
"Yes, Gerard, I thought you would never ask! Mikey, were over! Hear that? We.."
"Frank," Gerard said, laughing. "I need you to hold onto it, so Avenue doesn't see me with it!"
"See you with what?" Avenue asked as Donna wheeled up behind him. Frank quickly hid the ring in his hoodie pocket.
"Your present, baby. I don't want you to see it."
"Good," she said. "I love surprises!"
Gerard wiped the sweat off his forehead. 'Well, you're sure in for one,' he thought. 'You better beleive you are.'
Sign up to rate and review this story