Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Fire and Ice

A New Ability And An Old Face

by Fireflashphoenix 2 reviews

When her parents become Death Eaters, Blaise Zabini (femaleblaise) runs away from home to avoid that fate, running to her headmaster for help, she is sent to the one place that is better protected ...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2005-05-10 - Updated: 2005-05-10 - 1261 words

-1Boring
Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter or any of the characters attached.

Chapter 3: A New Ability And An Old Face.

Once they reached the park, Harry pushed open and held the gate for Blaise, allowing her through, but sensing Tonks approaching the gate, he closed it quickly, smirking at where he knew the invisible Tonks to be, Harry could sense her confusion.

Fighting the giggles that threatened to escape, he started to lead Blaise to the single remaining swing that hadn't been destroyed by Dudley's gang.

Offering her the seat, he was confused at her refusal to sit down without giving a reason.

Sitting on the uncomfortable swing seat, Blaise made the reason for her refusal apparent, by taking a far more comfortable seat on Harry's lap.

As Harry lent forwards to kiss her, they were interrupted by a wolf-whistle from a few feet to Harry's right.

While Harry watched Blaise, she was examining the newcomer; she looked about 19 years old, 5'4" tall with a nicely shaped body, straight brown shoulder length hair, an innocent pretty face and blue eyes.

How deceptive appearances can be.

"Hello Tonks, nice of you to get rid of that cloak and join us out in the open air." Harry said, waving his arms out to the side as if showing off the open air.

If Tonks was shocked she didn't show it and was playing innocent. "How did you know it was me? And what cloak are you talking about?"

"The cloak I was referring to is the one you've hidden in your back pocket, you know, the invisibility cloak you were following us under." he stated, finally turning to take in her appearance.

"How did you know I was following you? And how did you recognise me?" she asked even more confused, but shocked that he knew of the cloak.

"I don't know really, I felt like I was been followed, so I kind of concentrated on that feeling, and I kind of knew where you were, I could also sense your personality and emotions, same with Blaise, that's how I recognised you." He answered.

"Wow, Harry, that's Empathy!" Blaise said.

"Whoa, cool, why didn't you tell us you were an Empath?" Tonks asked.

"I didn't know."

"What do you mean, you didn't know?" Blaise asked, "You don't just become one all of a sudden."

"I mean that I only just discovered that I can do it today." He said, his temper rising, "Just like I didn't know I was a Parseltongue until people told me I was one."

"Oh sorry, I forgot about the fact that you don't get tested for special abilities until sixth year." Tonks said, trying to head off the explosion of anger that was building up inside Harry.

"So, who is this and why was she following us?" Blaise asked, relieved that Harry's temper had been headed off.

"Oh right, Blaise this is Nymphadora Tonks," but hurried as he felt Tonks's anger building up. "But don't call her Nymphadora if you value you life, just call her Tonks. She was following us because she is one of the Aurors that has been assigned to guard me." he finished; relieved that Tonks's anger was dropping.

"Oh okay, and what did you mean when you said 'recognised'?"

"I'm a Metamorphmagus."

"Wow, what level of control do you have?"

"Almost total." Tonks said proudly.

"Wow!" was all Blaise could say.

"You must be Blaise Zabini, right?"

"Yes." Blaise answered defensively. "How do you know?"

"Dumbledore." was all Tonks would say.

"Remember the order I told you about?" he asked, continuing at Blaise's nod. "well Tonks is one of the members."

"Oh, right." She said.

"Harry, you told her about the order! How do you know that she can be trusted?" Tonks hissed at him.

"Because she is going there with me." Harry hissed back.

"Fine, but why do you want the extra training?"

"I can't tell you here, besides I want everyone together when I tell them." He answered, shocked at the sudden change in subject.

"Well Dumbledore just put up a ward against magical detection, you can do underage magic there, I would be training you in duelling, but Molly's put her foot down, she doesn't want any of her 'children' getting into trouble 'cause they know Auror grade spells and have gotten it in there heads that they could win a fight against Death Eaters. Severus is teaching Occlumency and Legilimancy, Moody's going to turn you paranoid, Minerva is teaching you self transfiguration and disguise." Tonks said, before adding, "Oh, and Remus is teaching apparition."

"Do my friends get extra training?"

"Yes, of course Ron and Hermione get extra training."

"No, Blaise, Ginny, Luna, and Neville get it if they want it too." Harry said.

"You have no idea how happy people will be to here that you want Ginny to get training."

"Why?" Harry asked confused.

"Cause she has been moping around, sulking at not been considered as one of your friends, even after the ministry." She began. "She has been going from room to room looking for somewhere alone to sit in misery, she may not fancy you, but your friendship means more to her than she lets on. Anyway the only room that she can sulk in is Buckbeak's, and Ron and Hermione are...um...busy in there." She finished hesitating at the end.

'Way to go motor mouth, destroy his good mood why don't you.' Tonks thought to her self.

"What do you mean busy?" he asked as he sensed her apprehension.

"Its not my place to tell you, you're their friend and their worried about how you'll react."

"Come on please, what could they be worried about...unless..." He said with dawning comprehension and happiness on his face. "They've gotten together haven't they?"

Whatever Tonks was expecting, it wasn't this! How could Harry be happy when his friends had abandoned him for each other?

"How did it happen?" Harry asked so excited that he would have been bouncing on the seat if Blaise hadn't been sat on his lap.

Getting over her shock, well enough to speak, she said: "Well I wasn't there so I didn't see it, but apparently, they were having one of their fights over Viktor Krum, when, somehow they declared their love for each other."

"Shame I missed it, I'd have loved to see that." He said regretfully.

"You don't have a problem with them being together?" Tonks asked thoroughly confused.

"Why would I?" he said, before his eyes turned mischievous. "Just don't tell them I know."

"Why?"

"That would be telling, wouldn't it?" he answered before his face turned sad. "Sirius would have loved teasing them about that. How are you coping?"

Looking on the verge of tears she answered. "Alright I suppose, he was only a cousin, but he was more like a big brother. How about you?"

"Dreadfully, nightmares." He answered glumly, taking comfort from Blaise's prescience.

Tonks was about to go back to guarding them when Harry spoke up. "Oh yeah, Tonks, I'd like to go to Diagon alley today, well now."

"You can't I'll have to clear it with Dumbledore."

"Its either that or I go anyway, without a guard."

"Fine, Knight bus there and back."

"Fine by me, Blaise?"

"Fine with me."
Sign up to rate and review this story