Categories > Books > Meredith Gentry > The Vast Indigo Of Night

As Dawn Approaches

by musicalwraith 0 reviews

Now what?

Category: Meredith Gentry - Rating: PG - Genres: Fantasy - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2008-02-01 - Updated: 2008-02-09 - 607 words

0Unrated

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters in the following fanfiction, except for Eddy. Pretty much it's all property of Laurell K. Hamilton and I am simply entertaining my own fantasies(in the mildest sense). I also apologize for any OOC's, for I am merely an LKH fan and not LKH herself.

--------------

Chapter Five



She took one look at the vampire in Rhys's arms, out cold, and put down her gun. Doyle and the others followed suit.

Rhys grinned, wondering how much of that they just saw.

"I take it things didn't go as planned?" Doyle said.

"Not quite," said Rhys, running a hand through his hair.

"What happened in here? All I heard was a crash and a boom and I assumed the worst," said Merry as she put away her gun.

"She was a bit cranky. Turned out she just needed a little nappy nap." Rhys patted the vampire on the head.

Merry laughed. "Of course, a 'nappy nap.' Why didn't we think of that?"

"It seems our intruder found a way to break free from her bondage." Doyle observed that she was not tied to the chair. He took the liberty of retying her again.

"We might have to try something else," Rhys suggested. "The forced transformation we did on her earlier didn't seem to affect her ability to become vapor."

"All right, what do you suggest we do instead?" Merry asked.

"Daylight is soon approaching," said Doyle, observing the sky outside that had turned from deep cobalt glittered in starlight, to the dimly lit cerulean of dawn. "If the legend is correct, she should be incapacitated until sunset."

"Why don't we just stake her?" Rhys wondered. He leaned against the wall beside the window.

"We could," said Merry. "But she might be valuable to us. I've never seen this girl before and I'm aware of no grudge with her kind. This could have been another assassination attempt on my life."

"Yes, we need her alive," Doyle agreed.

"Or rather," said Rhys, "undead."

"What do we do with her?" asked Merry. "We don't have a coffin handy, and all I've heard about vampires is that they need to sleep on the soil of their homeland. Unless Los Angeles is her home, we might be out of luck."

Doyle shook his head. "That is only myth. The same kind of myths that depict all of faerie as demi-fey." He turned to Abloec, who had been staring curiously at the vampire over his shoulder. "You and Rhys need to take her and find a very dark closet in a room with no windows. Make sure the door is locked," he instructed. He turned to Merry. "We'll continue the interrogation tomorrow night."

With that, he left Rhys and Abe to take care of her. Rhys figured that, if she were going to be incapacitated during the day, she wouldn't need to be tied up, so he cut the rope and lifted her into his arms. A hundred and ten pounds was nothing to the strength of a sidhe warrior, and former god.

"So, where are we putting her?" asked Abe.

Kitto was still standing in the doorway. "My room is the darkest in the house."

"Are you sure?"Rhys said, wondering if he would risk the vampire's wrath on Kitto. He could remember the crazed expression on her face as she leapt after him with speed that could match any sidhe. He looked at her now, so peaceful in her slumber.

"I'm sure," said Kitto. "I'm not afraid."

"I trust you, Kitto," Rhys said, turning sideways through the door to get her through.

Sign up to rate and review this story