Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > Just For the Attention

Whispering Campaign

by silencing 2 reviews

The girls have some important conversations

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor - Published: 2008-02-08 - Updated: 2008-02-09 - 2407 words - Complete

0Unrated
A/n-Dear readers. The two new characters at the end of the chapter are the reason that this chapter is coming out at somewhat of a decent stretch after the last one. It’s hard not to write when you have people nagging you daily about it. I love you J&C! So yes, between school, work, and KPsi drama it took quite some effort to push through this, but I hope it was worth it. Rambling done now, please enjoy. (and please join! : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/justfortheattention/)

Reviews are highly appreciated (and wanted) and will get a can of Diet Pepsi, since I have enough to last me until summer

*

Danielle’s hands were shaking in excitement and anticipation as she exited the stage for the final time that night. She started to pull her hair out of its “ornate” updo as she searched for Nikol in the wings. The secret to her curly hairstyle that perched on her head every night was a curled hairpiece that was secured into her brown hair with a hefty supply of pins, which she was now frantically searching through her hair for, desperate for the release from the pain of the pins digging into her scalp.
It didn’t take her long to spot Nikol in the semi-crowded backstage area, her bright (and surprisingly natural) red curls standing out among the dark colours that made up their costumes for the final number. She hurried over to her friend and they began their recap of the show, with Nikol taking the lead for once.
“Damn,” she said plainly.
Danielle flushed slightly, “What?” she said innocently, knowing exactly what Nikol was talking about.
“Last time I checked, that dance wasn’t that risqué.”
Danielle laughed, still blushing, “I’m sticking to the choreography. He’s the one that’s changing it, and it’s confusing let me tell you. The first time he did it, I almost stopped dancing out of shock. So you think it’s that obvious?”
Nikol smiled, seeing the boys approaching, “Will I think they’ll see it as playful more than anything. It’s probably a good thing he’s such a goof and a flirt.”
Danielle smiled, “Well that’s good, but I still think he’s gonna get us found out.”
“And would that be such a bad thing?” Brendon asked as he walked up behind her and wrapped his arms around her stomach.
Danielle jumped slightly in surprise, before relaxing into the embrace, “At this stage, yes I would. I think exposing ourselves as a couple to the press at this early point would be deadly for whatever potential this relationship has.”
Although she couldn’t see his face, she could mentally see his surprised expression when he responded, “Never though of it that way,” he pressed his lips against her exposed neck, and reached on hand up to help assist her remove hidden pins, knowing that they irritated her. While he did this, he called Ryan over to boast about his girlfriend.
Ryan manoeuvred his way to stand next to Nikol and fix Brendon with an inquisitive look, “What?” he asked feigning annoyance.
Brendon beamed and pointed up at Danielle who was trying to contain her laughter, “Guess what?! She’s not only sexy, she’s a smart girlfriend!”
The tone he had delivered this line in caused the girls to crack up and Ryan to respond with a sarcastic and hollow, “Wow.”
Danielle turned herself around to face Brendon and smiled.
“You better not forget it either,” she said before giving him a proper post-performance kiss during which Ryan and Nikol exchanged an eye roll. Since officially deciding to see each other, the two had been overly affectionate towards each other whenever they got the chance.
When they finally broke apart (after Dani had sense their discomfort), she leaned up and whispered in Brendon’s ear, then placed a kiss on his cheek and turned to Ryan.
“Hey Ry, you mind if we walk together?” she said before grabbing his arm, weaving hers through his. They quickly fell in step heading towards where the boys would be holding one of their occasional meet and greets, and the first one that the new talent would get to attend after the bit of public demand to meet the five lucky fans.
As they walked, Danielle cut the crap and got straight to the point of why she had pulled him aside.
“So, we need to talk.”
“About what, exactly?” he asked, not entirely surprised by this opening line.
“You and Nikol.”
This took him off guard, “What do you mean?”
“You like her don’t you?”
“Of course I do, she’s a nice girl—“
She cut him off, “I’m not asking because I want a list of reasons you like her platonically. I’m asking because I know you like her more than just that and I want to know if you’re just pulling her strings about this.”
Ryan was quiet for a moment, “I don’t mean to. It’s just…I forget everything when I’m around her, we connect so well.”
“Yea I picked up on that. I just don’t think you should be yanking her chain like this. Do you know how much she likes you? How much she beats herself up for staying with you that night, especially when she woke up remembering you have a girlfriend?”
“I know, that definitely wasn’t my intent. I can’t help the fact that we’re so much alike. And I promise to you we were just talking.”
She cut him off again, “I know that. But she’s so comfortable around you. I don’t mean to break confidence here, but you tugging her around on this rope is starting to mess with her. She can’t see it, and you probably can’t see it, but as her best friend, I know that she’s starting to get her hopes up and I refuse to see her hurt.”
Ryan sighed and shook his head, “I understand your intent of protection, but can I please explain?”
He paused and she just responded with an inquisitive look.
He continued, “I can’t deny the fact that I’m attracted to her, but I never intended it to be that way. I’m perfectly aware of the fact that I have a steady girlfriend. Hell, half the songs on the new record are written about our relationship. All I can say is that when I became friends with Nik, I knew that I found her attractive, but I told myself to put it out of my mind. I never quite expected to connect with her the way I did that night at the bowling alley, but we did connect over our conversation that night and became friends. I can’t help that I’m attracted to her, but I promise…I’m not trying to lead her on. I promise, but I can’t help how I feel. I know this adds complications to my relationship with Keltie, but I refuse to hurt either of them.”
At this point, they had arrived at the tent that the meet and greet was going to take place, and Danielle fixed him with a stare, “I’m going to hold you to that. She’s my best friend and I can sense when she likes someone. I can tell you that that someone is you, and that she’s holding back because of both your girlfriend and her timid nature. I need your word that you won’t hurt her.”
Ryan looked at her sincerely, “I don’t intend to.”
“Good,” she replied, trying not to sound as malicious as she felt as they parted the fabric of the tent and walked through to the greeting sound of screaming fans.

*

Meanwhile, Nikol found herself matching strides with Jon as they made their way to the meet and greet tent. Nik was unusually quiet on this walk, so Jon casually slung and arm over her shoulder and pried.
“So what’s bothering you?” he asked in a tone that suggested there was no way for her to deny there was something wrong.
“I think you have an idea,” was her response. Recently Jon had become her confidant after he had caught her lingering near one of the dressing rooms before a show, looking more than a little upset.
After giving her a brief pep talk and the promise of his full attention after the show, they had gone on stage. After the show that night she had taken advantage of his offer and he had kept to his word. He had been surprised to learn that the reason she was upset was not homesickness like he originally thought, but rather her growing attraction to Ryan.
Between his actual girlfriend (who Jon insisted no one else was truly fond of) and the professional relationship that they had (which it seemed only Brendon was willing to break), Nikol found the whole thing slightly discouraging.
At her response, Jon flung his other arm around her front, pulling her into an awkward walking hug. Nikol laughed a little, stumbling sideways slightly as she compensated his weight.
“Are you really letting this Ryan thing ruin your first meet and greet?”
Nikol shook her head, “I’m not thinking about it intentionally. It’s just…” she hesitated and shook her head again, “No, it’s not important.”
“False. If you refuse to talk about it then it’s incredibly important. What is it?”
She glared at him sideways before continuing, “It’s Dani and Bden. I hate to feel like this, but part of me resents them being together. And I know it’s irrational, but it’s been so long since I felt like this about someone and it was me feel rather helpless. I guess everything else just furthers the feeling. I try to ignore it but sometimes it just can’t be helped.”
At this point Jon was walking normally by her side again, having released her from his awkward embrace while she was talking.
“Well I guess that would make sense. They do tend to be overly affectionate, but that’s because they’re still dipping their feet into the whole thing. So first of all, talk to her about it. And as for the Ryan thing, don’t change what you’re doing. I think he’s catching on; he tends to be dense about these things. Not to mention I’m pretty sure the Keltie thing will sort itself out. You’re ten thousand times better for him than she is, and I have no doubt he’ll come to that conclusion in due time.
Nik smiled, more than grateful for his words. She turned and hugged him at the entrance to the tent, having concluded the short journey somewhere inside of Jon’s speech.
“Thank you. I really appreciate having someone to talk to about this.”
Laughing, Jon parted the curtain, “Anytime lady, just so long as it’s not on stage.”
“You might regret saying that one day,” she said over her shoulder as she pushed her way through the opening. She then went and sat next to Dani, ready to greet her first set of fans.

*

“Ocean.”
“Ocean.”
“Ocean!”
“OCEAN!”
“Shut the fuck up!” Juliette shouted, ending the obnoxious commentary on the large body of water they were located near, but the two land locked losers, Danielle and Claire.
Claire was one of the girls’ new friends on the tour and was one of the returning dancers, along with Juliette.
Currently they were hanging out backstage during a sound check which was currently sounding like it was on a break. The girls had taken advantage of free caffeine and were not sitting around lazily enjoying a rare moment of relaxation.
Now the two girls sat in silence, staring at Juliette in dejection as Nikol broke into peels of laughter.
These two girls had been a natural fit into their merry band of two. They had met on the previous tour and their close friendship had many similar dynamics.
Claire was a tall, lanky blonde who, like Danielle, tended to try and find the fun in every situation. Juliette was a sharp contrast from her friend, being almost two heads shorter, with visible curves and a Hispanic pigment to her skin. She and Nikol tended to be the ones to bring the other two back to reality, but she wasn’t without her own quirks.
Their silence didn’t last long, what with Claire leaning over only a moment later and whispering, “Ocean.”
It didn’t take long for this to escalate the way it normally did. Claire would respond to Danielle’s response louder each time, until she finally changed it up.
“Boyfriend?” she said.
Until recently, all of them (save for Juliette, the happily engaged) had been proudly single, and had changed the ‘game’ up to announce that fact.
Danielle now smiled when her friend said this and threw her arm behind her, pointing at the stage.
“Boyfriend!” she exclaimed, before pretending to crawl away towards said male. Nikol was the closest to her and grabbed the back of her shirt, preventing and progress she had planned to make.
“Easy there,” she said as Danielle looked at her sadly, “You go out there and the might actually make you do something.”
Dani pretended to consider it for half a second before smiling, “Good point,” she said, and turned back to her can of Diet Pepsi.
Now regular conversation was flowing freely between the girls, and they didn’t even notice when the music stopped coming from the stage, or the backstage door opening to let someone in.
What they did notice was a minute later, when the boys emerged in the wings, laughing amongst themselves, and the tall blonde streak that squealed and ran across the length of the backstage area before attaching itself to someone.
The girls looked up, surprised, and suddenly came to find the Keltie Colleen had just shown up and now had her lips sealed firmly over Ryan’s.
They looked back just in time to see Nikol’s face fall.
*
Post a/n-…..Nik….I LOVE YOU! Please don’t kill me! PLEASE JOIN
***http://groups.yahoo.com/group/justfortheattention/******
Sign up to rate and review this story