Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Ship Of Fools: The Avatar Cycle, Book 1: Water

Chapter 5

by amurderofcrows 1 review

Zuko and Aang bond, creating a new problem for Katara. Aang gets curious about her reactions to Hua, and has his own questions. Sokka hides with the engines, but is findnig he likes the work all th...

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama - Characters: Aang, Katara, Sokka, Zuko - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2006-02-01 - Updated: 2006-02-02 - 5588 words

1Original
+++

Zuko was serious. He got up as Aang watched, and produced from a drawer the pai-sho tiles, hand tight on the box.

Aang hadn't expected him to seriously ask. He hadn't expected him to try to meet him half-way. Hope sang in his heart, and potential, frustrated tears evaporated before they escaped his eyes. This could work!

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah. The board's just upstairs in the command center."

"I know where it is! I'll play!" Aang readily agreed. He reached out and grabbed Zuko's hand, dragging him out into the hall without a backward glance.

Zuko really played pai-sho!

+++

The idea that Zuko could play anything was astonishing, and not to be denied. He hadn't really expected Zuko to be any good.

He really hadn't expected that Zuko was going to kick his butt across the board.

They gained and audience; Ji and his wife and children, then eventually Katara and Hua and the others as the evening dragged on, watching as the prince and Avatar labored over the tiles.

For every game Aang won, Zuko claimed three. The prince had a mind for strategy, when he bothered to focus it; Aang's heart leapt, even as bets were placed.

+++

"I never expected you to use the Lotus tile like that," Aang noted.

"The lotus tile is an underrated piece," Zuko said, as he picked up the tiles. "It can only travel the four cardinal directions, so people think they know what to expect. They underestimate it. But knowing what to expect isn't the same as knowing what something's capable of."

Aang grinned then, and said, "Kinda like you."

Zuko blinked. "What was that?"

"You're like the lotus tile," Aang clarified . "You travel this specific direction, toward home and honor, but that doesn't mean that's all you're capable of."

+++

It was an alien thing, to watch Aang and the prince sliding tiles and exchanging almost teasing goads across the board. When a won was taken, Zuko offered what he had done and why, and Aang /listened/.

Katara could not help but feel threatened. Where was her Avatar, who turned to her for comfort and wisdom, when she needed?

"Help me down below decks?" Hua asked, and it was not really a request. She left the pair with the pai-sho board and followed her teacher.

"You look like you bit into something sour, Katara," Hua noted. "Jealous?"

"Never," she lied.

+++

Sokka returned to Katara's room in the evening, tired but satisfied. Muu had given him so many diagrams to familiarize himself with.

The heavy feeling of tension in the room told him he wasn't going to get a damn thing done.

"Alright, what did Prince Scarface do today?"

"Played pai-sho with /Aang/."

That didn't seem too bad. Still, Katara was wound up tighter then a water-clock and Sokka didn't see the problem. Aang liked Zuko. So they played pai-sho. Big deal!

"Anything else?"

Katara sighed, and then rolled over on her bunk. "No."

Sokka decided to leave well enough alone.

+++

It fell into pattern; they were all separate by day; Sokka in the engines, Katara in the infirmary and Aang wherever he could keep himself busy. Prince Zuko's health improved it, and with it, his manner; he was more confident, more sure of himself.

He was also more bossy, but one took the good with the bad; or at least, the good with the somewhat irritating.

The women became more comfortable, too; Katara found herself with new companions who wanted to know what her life was like - and what her people's men were like, too! (Also, was her brother single?)

+++

Sokka was oblivious to the change around him; he kept busy and kept his head down; he didn't realize the women on the ship were wondering if he could be set up with their sisters, nieces, and daughters - just on a lark.

He didn't know Katara was full of woe over Aang's growing closeness to Zuko, or that Zuko was in fact growing more confident.

What he does know is that he was going to make sure people outside the Fire Nation knew about these beautiful engines, someday; the Fire Nation couldn't keep their secrets all to themselves /forever/!

+++

Dr. Hua saw it all. He may have had Water Tribe eyes, but he knew what he saw; Sokka hiding from what scared him, Katara seething with jealousy, and the Avatar pretending that it would all be okay if they could just be friends.

He couldn't say he was sad with the outcome. Certainly, his new apprentice was distracted and that made her less efficient, but it was a small sacrifice. The prince had regained something he lost, and as they got closer to the port of Honshu, Dr. Hua felt better about it all.

He almost felt like celebrating.

+++

"Out of the question," Zuko said.

"But /prince/," the physician wheedled, "It would be good for morale."

"It won't be good for our miserably tight /budget/," Zuko returned, though his expression was strained. "I know it'd be good to go out with a bang, but Hua, we just don't have the money to spare. We get only what we need at dock, and then the Avatar and his company will leave."

"And you with them."

Zuko nodded. "Yes, and I with them."

Hua pursed his lips and bowed lowly. "As you wish."

This could only mean he was plotting something.

+

The truth was, despite feeling better, Zuko didn't feel /good/. There were still doubts, nagging at the back of his brain, that couldn't be solved by a round of pai-sho with Aang.

Katara had returned only once for the scrolls, and had since been, he was certain, avoiding him. Sokka he understood, but-- Katara's warm overtures of friendship had flip-flopped abruptly into an arctic coolness he didn't understand. It wasn't that her feelings had changed; honestly, he hadn't expected them to be friends at all.

What bothered him most was that he couldn't name what he'd done wrong.

+

Last minute preparations began; supplies accounted for, methods of communication established. Zuko was busy from dusk till dawn; he only glimpsed the three new 'additions' to his crew occasionally.

He healed; Ji - now captain in word and deed - made sure he did not join in the grunt work, even though he seemed pleased that Zuko wanted to take an active hand in things. "You've grown a great deal," he said, even as he got between the prince and the cargo they were inventorying.

As days passed, it came time to get his sutures removed.

Hua sent Katara to fetch him.

+

Zuko stared at her for a moment; the tension was thick enough to cloud vision and he was certain she was not pleased to be sent on this errand. He went with her calmly, without argument. It was a kindness, if this was such a chore.

"Strip to the waist, my prince," Hua said succinctly once Zuko entered the infirmary, Katara just before him. "Katara, my clippers!"

She obeyed as Zuko undid armor and took off his shirt. Then, he was on his belly on the exam table.

"Think you can handle this?" Hua asked Katara.

"Child's play," she replied.

+++

Katara looked down at the back-now healed, if scarred-of the prince she'd been avoiding for the last three days. Hua took up a set of clippers and stood on the opposite side of the table, choosing a long gash now finally closed.

"These are coming out early," Hua said, for it had been only five days, "But this is the best we can do. This did give you the time to finish healing properly. But we're going to wrap you with another salve."

"Alright," Zuko agreed.

Katara steeled herself, and watched as Hua cut. She followed his example.

+++

It was painless; it /itched/, but it didn't hurt. Zuko stayed still, having long, hard-won practice in doing so. This was nothing.

He knew which hands belonged to which 'physician'; Katara's hands were smaller, fractionally cooler then Hua's. It was odd; Hua was not a Firebender; but he was still warmer then the Water Tribe girl. Maybe it was merely an oddity of the Fire Nation blood; it ran hotter then most.

The sutures were pulled free from scar tissue, warmed and pungent salve spread over the still-tender flesh.... But at least this time, he didn't fall asleep.

Too quiet.

+++

Katara stood, her face carefully impassive as she used pins to secure the bandages around Zuko's middle. He obviously itched, but it couldn't be helped. At least he didn't squirm - or fall asleep.

He looked much healthier, too. Color was better, his eyes brighter and alert. There was no lack of sleep coloring the hollow beneath his right eye.

Zuko was recognizable again.

"I'm going to teach Katara to distill your eyedrops, my prince," Hua said.

"Eyedrops?" Katara asked, looking between the two men.

"She doesn't know?"

"I don't talk about it."

"About /what/?"

"The scar," Hua said, turning away.

+++

The scar; it was the walrus in the hut no one talked about; everyone knew it was there, but noone would address it. Finally, Katara might get some information.

This was worth facing her apprehension.

"The eyelids of the left eye had to be rebuilt after the injury," Hua explained. "The tear duct was destroyed. He has to keep his eye lubricated, to prevent irritation and further damage to his sight from occuring."

"Further?" She looked to Zuko for further explanation.

"I don't see as well on the left," he replied tersely, biting off the words. "But I can compensate!"

+++

The scar was apparently a bad topic; Zuko was instantly defensive and Hua was oddly quiet about details. Normally he'd chatter on about anything that made them uncomfortable, but this seemed to be a subject he was unwilling to speak of.

"How do you compensate for being partially /blind/?" Katara asked, not letting go of the subject; not even for Zuko's pride--especially not for that.

"I track heat. I keep aware of my enemies by the signature of the breath within them, the spark of flame... in every living thing."

"...that's a hell of a compensation," she allowed quietly.

+++

"Not just blind," Hua said, taking things down from cabinet shelves; it was a simple saline distillation, and Katara wouldn't need much to learn how to make it. "He's deaf on that side, as well."

"Not completely," Zuko said sourly.

"No, not completely. But the same compensation still applies, doesn't it?"

Katara stared in something she had not wanted to apply to Prince Zuko: grudging admiration.

"That's.... impressive," she finally said, though it didn't mollify the prince at all.

"I'm not out to /impress you/, peasant."

Finally; there was the Zuko she recognized. She couldn't say she had missed him.

+++

Katara let Zuko's insult pass - he had hoped for her to rise to the bait and an argument to start, something to - distract from this miserable topic at hand. But she seemed focused on the side of his face now, till he turned his head and gave her his good profile.

"Are we done?"

"Oh, yes. You can go. Thank you, Prince Zuko." Hua smiled thinly.

He dropped from the table, put his shirt back on, and stalked out the door.

Only a few more days, and they'd be traveling shipless. He wasn't sure whether to be excited or apprehensive.

+++

They stayed distant, the four of them, from each other. Like rats in a maze, they were running parallel courses that rarely intersected but still had a single common end. Like the rats, they were tense, wondering when they'd reach the prize that glittered in the distance; the next leg of their journey, the port city of Honshu.

It was only a matter of time; the question was, were they all going to manage to stay paced together, prince, peasants and Avatar?

Only time would tell. None guessed at what the future would hold; they didn't want to jinx it.

+++

Honshu came into view through the telescope; a day's sailing in rough waters, and they'd be there.

It was the first time all four had collected on deck since their arrival - standing at the fore of the ship; Katara and Sokka were shoulder to shoulder; Zuko stood apart. Aang, as always, bridged the gap; one hand in Katara's, the other tugging Zuko's sleeve.

"Are we really going to finally get there?" the Avatar asked.

"Yes," Zuko replied, looking over the water. "We're almost there."

Dread and hope made odd companions, but then, so did the four teenagers looking toward landfall.

+++

As night fell, two met by dark.

"They'll never suspect a thing."

"You take the girl. I'll deal with the prince."

"And the Avatar? What about the girls' brother?"

"The Avatar won't be a problem. I'm pretty sure he'll be easy to coerce with a little leverage applied."

"And the boy?"

"He's a bit of a complication, but I think once we've got his sister, it'll all fall into place."

"Well, you leave her and him to me. The prince and the Avatar are all yours."

"A pleasure working with you."

"Indeed. You're quite the professional."

Silently, they parted company.

+++

The next morning Katara found a gaggle of Fire Nation women at her door looking rather expectant. Ming was at the lead.

"We're about to dock in Honshu!" they chorused.

"Would you like to help us shop when we reach port?" Ming asked. "We've got a few things planned before you go..."

And then they were on her - and there was no going back, no escaping.

Katara had to girl talk and bond with the young ladies. She wondered if Hua would miss her.

Or save her from what would certainly be fate worse than his bitching and herbal talk.

+++

Zuko was strangely glad when Ji offered him an out from the shopping; he wasn't sure he could deal with market without Iroh there. He'd never had patience for it.

Instead, he was staring at Appa, not sure of what to do next, as they double-checked all the supplies.

"Are you sure this is really what you want?" Ji asked, noting his expression.

"I've run out of options." He paused, thought on that a moment, before he shook away away doubt. "No. I am sure. It's being sure that scares me."

Ji smiled, though it was strained. "Good luck, sir."

+++

Once supplies were set aside, the two men discussed what else was to be done that day; moving Ji into Iroh's old quarters, the last minute double-check of inventory, the final farewells...

"Before you go," Ji began somewhat hesitant, "You might consider one other thing."

"What?" Zuko asked him, tossing another bale of hay to Appa.

"Your hair, sir. If I may be frank--"

"When are you not? You've hardly asked for permission before, why start now?" The jibe was delivered with a grin from the prince.

Ji smirked. "...you look like a hedgehog. It needs trimming."

Zuko laughed.

+++

On Ji's advice, Zuko found himself in the infirmary. Hua doubled as barber when he wasn't stitching sutures or blending poultices. There was an irony to that, as Hua was often messy haired and wore so many days of scruff on his chin.

"You want it trimmed or shaved, my prince?" he asked, after he coaxed Zuko to sit. "You don't have much of a queue anymore, so shaving - well, I could make you and the Avatar match..."

"No," Zuko said. "I'm going to look terrible no matter what I do, wearing a toddler's tuft instead of a prince's knot..."

+++

They settled with an even trim, so when his hair grew in he could start tying it back into a proper queue. It'd be years before he could wear his plume like a fighting cockerel.

"Much better," Hua said.

"I'll judge for myself," Zuko said, and then shocked Hua with his next words. "A mirror, please?"

The physician responded slowly - the request from the scarred prince was strange, to say the least. But he dug one out and offered it.

Zuko looked upon his face for the first time in years, and wondered at who he saw in the quicksilver.

+++

Aang rapped on the infirmary door before he swung it open, peeking inside - to his surprise, it was Zuko with Hua, and not Katara. He supposed this made it easier to ask the questions he wanted to - he was pretty sure Katara wouldn't like his line of thought.

They looked over; Zuko putting down a mirror of all things, and beckoned him in. "You're not looking for a trim too, are you, young Avatar?"

Aang ran his hand over his inked scalp. "Haven't needed one of those in a long time!"

To his surprise, Prince Zuko laughed freely with Hua.

+++

"Why the cut?"

Zuko ran his hand over the short, trimmed hair. "Got tired of being told I look like a hedgehog." He ran his fingers along it again, this time at the edge where it began to thin against the tissue of his scar.

"I don't think it looked that bad," Aang said charitably. "But you do look better. Civilized. Less deserter, more prince."

"That was the aim of the trim," Hua said loftily. "Now, which one of us were you looking for? Or were you seeking Katara? She's out."

"Oh, no-I, uh... I was looking for you."

+++

Hua and Zuko exchanged looks, before Zuko rose from the chair, brushing his shoulders off. "I've got to go meet Captain Ji to move him into his new quarters. I'll leave you two to your discussion."

Aang shot Zuko a grateful look as the prince excused himself, and then found himself staring at - if craning his neck to do so - the doctor.

"I have a strange question," Aang said, nervous. "You're the only one on the ship I can ask."

"Well?"

"You're a half-blood. ... do your parents-"

"Spit it /out/, boy," Hua snapped.

"Do they love each other?"

+++

Hua had been asked many questions over his life, as people realized what he was. He was the son of a Firebender, but he couldn't Bend- was it because his blood was diluted? Did he tan easily because of his mother's browned skin?

Some had obvious answers. Some didn't.

This was a question that, like the others, was invasive without meaning to be. Aang was well-intentioned, but there were lines about the pavement on the road to hell...

Still, this was a question that he could answer.

"As much as people in their situation could."

"I don't understand, Dr. Hua."

+++

Hua showed Aang to a seat and then shut the door to the infirmary.

"What do you know, other then my mother and father were from different nations?"

"Zuko said she was taken by the Fire Nation soldiers, but married your father," Aang said. "He didn't - want to tell me much."

"That's because the prince respects my privacy." Hua cracked a grin. "I bet he expects me to respect his." Laughing darkly, the doctor tried to clarify, "My mother was a comfort woman. Do you know what that is?"

"No."

Hua groaned. This was going to be a long conversation.

+++

"A comfort woman," Hua began, "Is a woman who pretends to love a soldier at his request. She acts like his wife while he's in a foreign land. Usually, they don't choose to do that - they're forced into it."

Aang's face was clouded with confusion. "So she pretends to be someone's wife?"

"In all the ways a man gives a damn about; mostly she warms his bed."

Aang's lack of comprehension was plain.

"... You do know about... sex, right?"

Aang blinked mutely.

"...you don't."

Aang shook his head.

Hua groaned /again/.

"Monks! Time for some much needed education, Avatar!"

+++

With some visual aids pilfered from Iroh's collection of expensive and rare pillow books Hua went through the arduous process of explaining the sun and the moon, man and woman, the blood tide, yang energy against yin.../Where babies came from!/

He explained sex to the Avatar!

It was not how he planned to spend his afternoon.

Once he had discussed the basics of biology, the psychology of sex came next - love, passion, lust. Aang, gray eyes wide, hung on his every word.

You'd think a few thousand life times, and he'd remember the things that were constant to every single incarnation.

+++

"So..." Aang says, trying to master the new vocabulary he'd just mastered. "Your mother... was a comfort woman."

"Which means she slept with foreign soldiers."

"They raped her." It was an ugly word that Aang had only recently learned, and he got it out of his mouth like a bad taste.

"No. Not-well, /yes/. Coercive, I suppose. But she went into it knowing what it was. She told me once, it was the sacrifice of love; she gave comfort to soldiers far from home, who were unhappy and lonely, and saved her people from further suffering at the same time."

+++

Aang sat in silence, a pillow book in his lap, closed under his hand.

"You just told me that this - is supposed to be about /love/."

"Ideally. But we do not live in an ideal world, Avatar," Hua said, staring at the boy.

To his surprise, Aang nodded. "I know. But..." he swallowed. "I can't understand that. To give up--- something that's supposed to be special, for one person..."

"To the many? To make it cheap and dirty?"

"...yeah."

Hua sighed softly. "... Keep thinking that way, Avatar. And don't let go. Your love life will be better for it."

+++

"What happened to her when they took her away?"

"The men enjoyed her so much, they 'convinced' her to come when they pulled out of the South," Hua said. "And there was good money in slave trade. They took her East and sold her to a brothel. She was young - not even sixteen, so she was easy to train..."

"...how can you say that so plainly?" Aang asked, his voice tight.

"Because it is a fact. She was taken from her people, and trained as a whore. I'm nothing but a whoreson, Aang. Should I hang my head in shame?"

+++

Chastised, Aang did not broach the subject of whores. Instead, he asked, "What happened?"

"My mother was very good at what she did," Hua said, shrugging. "In the Fire Nation, they're called /castle-topplers/; women who use their beauty and skill to bring men who run nations to their knees. She was foreign and thus exotic, and became the favorite of many wealthy men - powerful men."

Aang chewed his lip. "So kinda like a princess?"

"She was still owned. At least, until Father, smitten with her, proposed. He wasn't the first to ask her hand, just the one to win it."

+++

Aang thought of this woman; he kept seeing Katara in his mind's eye - wrapped in blue leathers one minute, Fire Nation finery the next. He couldn't put Zuko beside her, cast as a villainous Fire Nation lord, but Zhao filled the gap well.

A shudder of revulsion took him.

"I can't..." Aang shook his head. "I don't understand. Why did she take your father's proposal, then, if she was so powerful?"

"I don't know, Aang. I've never asked. There are some things a son doesn't want to know."

"So... do they love each other?"

"As much as they're able to."

+++

One thing bothered Hua about this whole conversation; why would the Avatar care about a cross-country marriage, half-blood sons...unless his interest ran outside his own people? What other option did he have, really?

"... is there a girl, perhaps, you're thinking of? That makes you... a tingly warmth inside?" Hua smirked a little, trying to be kind.

Aang blushed /red/.

"A Water Tribe girl?" Hua suggested. "Or... are you worried about her and, maybe... the soldiers?"

"No!" Aang suddenly exclaimed. "I'm not afraid for Katara! She'd kick all yours butts if you tried anything!"

"You know her well!" Hua laughed.

+++

"But you've got a crush on her," Hua said as Aang looked on in horror.

"I..."

"It's perfectly normal, Aang. She's a lovely girl, and smart and talented."

The problem was obvious: Katara was oblivious. Or, if she knew, she didn't reciprocate. The boy was a little bit younger then her... Problematic, to say the least, on their quest.

"But I won't tell her. It'll be our secret."

But the prince should know, he decided. In case complications arose.

Aang sighed softly. "I just... have so much to /do/..."

"And it's important."

Destiny demanded so much of one young boy.

+++

Guilt was an emotion that Hua had been used to quashing; he had mastered it over the many years and several (sometimes questionable) careers. But Aang seemed to be weighed upon by his new knowledge and it's darker ramifications.

"You know," Hua began, "Since you're down here... perhaps I can let you in on something. Would you care to be a co-conspirator?"

Aang blinked away from his confusion quickly enough, his brows lifting. "I'm listening."

"How do you like /music/?"

Aang's brow's stayed high. "I love music."

"And parties?"

Aang /grinned/. "Are we having one?"

Hua beamed. Avatar's mood: Salvaged.

+++

Unaware of the plot against him, Zuko was busy... being forbidden to move furniture. Ji had overseen the move of his things and Iroh's old furniture; but still he refused the prince's aid.

"You're still recovering, I'm captain and those are my orders," Ji said firmly. "You cleared all the kitsch and the scrolls, but we can handle this."

"My sutures are out."

"Early, I'm aware," Ji countered, "There's no reason for you to risk yourself before a long journey, sir."

"Remind me again when you became so concerned with my well being?"

"When you proved worthy of concern, sir."

+++

Sokka didn't mind learning, but Muu seemed pretty intent on getting him ground through his paces.

"You're gonna be gone! All this knowledge will drip out your ears while you're away!" Muu insisted, before he quizzed him on fuel.

Sokka was hoping for lunch, but when they had it brought down, he realized there'd be no escape until the night shift.... And by that time, all the shopping would be done and they'd probably be getting ready to leave by morning...

It wasn't fair.

"Sokka! Are you listening to me!?"

He jumped to attention. "Yes!"

"Yes /what/?!"

"Yes, /Senior Engineer/!"

+++

It had been a nightmare; really and truly, Katara didn't realize how fearsome the women of the Fire Nation were.

Ming was an empress, and the gaggle of wives and fiancées and girlfriends were her entourage. They hit the market to barter away small pieces of finery, which they explained as a necessary sacrifice. What did they need with rings and scarves on a military ship?

They bought food - two girls were especially keen with fruit, while another haggled with the butcher; Katara half-expected her to go behind the counter and show him what he could do with the cleaver...

+++

While the women shopped, the children trailed behind. There was more then just Ming's two children; Kim and Ahnmeng had a couple of other hangers-on, but thankfully, there were few.

Katara realized she straddled the precipice between child and the women; fourteen, she wasn't a little girl anymore, and Kim was the closest in age to her at thirteen, while there wasn't a woman among them under eighteen.

It was a strange place to be; a youth among adults again. She wondered if Zuko ever felt this way, the young boy commanding men. Did it make him feel lonely?

+++

Once the women's army began to march back to the ship, Ming cornered Katara at the back of the group.

"Would you come with us for a little bit tonight?" she said. "We have some things to get ready, and would appreciate the help."

"Is something going on tonight?" she asked.

"Oh," Ming said. "It's a secret." She smiled, dashing, "Do you like secrets, Katara?"

"Depends on the /secret/."

"Pragmatic of you, as always," Ming said, and it wasn't sarcasm. "It's a good secret, I promise. It's about a /party/."

Katara's brows lifted. "I'm listening..."

"A send off party, Katara."

+++

The women came back lighter for a few less pieces of finery on them, though the men understood the sacrifice they made and honored it. They were complimented as they passed by - even Zuko, whose clumsiness at being grateful made Ming certain that it was genuine.

But there was no time; women went to the kitchens, to their lovers, to the supplies, and began to work.

The prince was never wiser; Ji faithfully did his duty as smoke screen, keeping the prince occupied... until Aang appeared to request one last game of pai-sho... that became three last games of pai-sho.

+++

Aang faithfully relieved Ji of his 'smokescreen' duties, and kept Zuko's mind on the board. Anything to keep his mind from the brewing party - and Aang's thoughts from the confusing information about love and sex that Hua had given Aang as his 'parting gift'. There was now a slender volume hidden among his things, too...

As it crept toward sundown and the dinner bell didn't ring, Zuko looked bewildered. "I wonder if we had problems with the supplies..."

"I'm sure they're just taking their time. We are leaving tomorrow morning; they'll want this to be a dinner we'll remember."

+++

Zuko should have known with Aang's ominous words about dinner that something was up. But he liked to think that when he forbade something, the order would be respected.

Apparently not.

Eventually, the noise from on deck couldn't be missed-tables and instruments and Hua in the middle of it all with Ji.

"Excuse me," he said, rising from his seat at the board. "I have some men to flog."

But Aang was quick to move, to reach out and touch him like he had never done before, and that stilled Zuko faster then his worried cry of "/Stop/!" did.

+++

Aang looked at Zuko for a moment across the board, and then to where his hand curled around prince's wrist.

It was a breach in some Fire Nation noble propriety that Aang didn't rightly know of, but intimately understood he had broken protocol. Still, he had to salvage things, his fingers tightening to anchor himself.

"They just want to make sure you're coming back," he began in a rush. "To make sure you know they're still behind you and when you come back, they'll be waiting here."

Zuko was dumbstruck; whether by the words or the contact, Aang couldn't tell.

+++

When contact had been made, Zuko felt his world spin. Only one other person could ever have touched him so casually, and that man was dead.

It was a disconcerting thing; Aang often reminded him of Iroh, but this - this was something only his uncle would dare do; to reach out and touch or embrace him. It left him off center when Aang's words, too, were something Iroh would have said.

It was too uncanny, and stole Zuko's breath.

"...alright," he finally said, before he looked down at Aang's hand around his wrist. "Can I have my hand back now?"

+++

Hua braced as the Avatar escorted Zuko down amidst the preparations; Aang fell back shrugged at the doctor as Zuko still went forward; 'sorry', the gesture said, 'you're on your own'.

Hua'd remember that when it came time to deliver porn to young Avatars again.

Zuko stood before him in silence, his arms folded over his chest.

"I told you no."

"You were also not in command at the time."

"I still told you /no/."

"And in an effort to improve the morale and health of the ship's crew, I happily ignored your 'no' and did it anyway."

Zuko sighed.

+++

The party was off to a poor start; at least, the preparations now had a sulky prince overseeing them in gloomy silence. For all he was a Firebender, Hua thought, Zuko could be a hell of a wet rag.

"You could at least look like you're going to try to enjoy yourself," Hua hissed.

"And you could have obeyed orders!"

"Could you two /not argue/?" Aang groused now, unable to lurk and stay silent. "He wanted the best for you," he said, pointing at Hua, "And he's apparently not comfortable with anybody giving a crap without an ulterior motive! /Geez/!"

+++

As they watched the Avatar walk away in stunned silence, neither could really say anything. The party preparations went on without them, as both prince and physician gathered their thoughts.

"What the hell did you two talk about?" Zuko finally asked. "I've never heard him so aggravated. Sure, the language's comparatively mild, but..."

"The true nature of the world we live in," Hua said loftily. "Also, sex."

Zuko choked on his own spit.

"Hey, I didn't plan it. He /asked/!" A heartbeat passed. "I also gave him one of your uncle's pillow books."

Prnce Zuko had the decency to look scandalized.

+++


Aang did not get far in his angry stalking. He went back below decks, only to find a gaggle of women headed up, with plates of food. They laughed among themselves, but stopped at his open staring.

He wasn't staring at all of them. He'd seen Fire Nation women before and they were pretty.

Seeing Katara draped in silk, gold dangling from her ears and her face touched with rouge and lips painted a deeper rose? That made him stop.

"Hi, Aang."

His voice cracked. "...hi."

The women parted like waves for a Waterbender and left the two alone.

+8+8+
Sign up to rate and review this story