Categories > Original > Drama > The streets are dark

1

by shorty 0 reviews

Dark story about life in a dangerous and corrupt city

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-02-04 - Updated: 2006-02-04 - 792 words

0Unrated
The streets are dark. There are far worse ways to describe these cold twisted streets, but I've never been one of these people who can twist and play with words like they're some kind of toy, so dark is the best I can do.
The darkness is what hits you first anyway. It hits you like a gentle plague, feasting on your insides and playing games with your mind without you noticing until it's taken you completely! It took me ages ago. Empty I carry on regardless; I do my job despite all of this. Someone has to prowl these streets, someone has to enforce the law! Especially in this city run by demons where if you're smart you would have ran screaming from it, someone has to stick around to protect the few angels who are caught up in the wake.
Clutching my heavy coat shut against the biting wind I feel my gun burning like ice against my chest as I stride along, head bent to stop the cursed wind from greedily snatching it away. I'm headed towards the very centre of the city, willingly stepping into the shrivelled heart that runs this twisted world! I'm a fool, who the hell would choose to enter into this?
On the way I give a slight nod, a slight smile to a couple of hookers who stand frozen to the streets while the harsh wind gropes at them and the darkness slides in around them. Slight is all I can manage, I think to myself about how low these demented souls have fallen and yet my thoughts soften as I feel pity begin to smother the contempt; are they working under the power of the man who I will shortly be paying a visit to, are they standing there through fear? Or is it simply for a lust of money? Who knows? Who cares?
My thoughts evaporate in what I see next: a bedazzling ocean of lights. I've arrived. Don't be fooled by this, the lights from the city centre offer no soul sanctuary from the darkness but merely adds a more sinister twist to it...like your average poisoned cocktail!
I can feel its venom seep into me as I force my labouring footsteps to quicken into the light. In the distance sirens from police cars screech aimlessly. The cops have no power, they sold it way years ago, the cops no longer care about the law or bother about it being upheld or care about what happens to the trapped angels! Unfortunately for some I still do and fortunately for myself I am not a cop. I am something else, I stand above the corruption and I will enforce the law. Since the cops are useless I am also forced to punish those who fester within this demonic sanctuary and believe they are untouchable from the law. My soul purpose is to give them what they deserve, you could describe me as some sort of karma and tonight there will be one less person to rot the streets.
His name is Mr Saline. He craves only fear and money. Both are satisfied by his new "business" adventure: forcing the young, pretty and poor into a seedy life of prostitution....
My thoughts are torn from me! I see her and suddenly nothing else exists! Nothing except from the memory of her scent and the silky feel of her skin! For the first time for as long as I can remember I can feel something inside me, maybe the streets haven't taken all of me yet? My memories elevate me up into a higher sanctuary, they are so real that I can almost smell her scent now, the way she smelt when she took me away from the streets and all those who have made it twisted! No longer do I care about any of the surrounding demons, I only want you, my angel of mercy. I need you to save me again like you did once. Oh Lord I pray to you to let me be with her again. Please let me catch up my angel, please save me!
Everything around me blurs and whizzes past as I sprint like a starved animal towards her, but she is to far ahead to hear my yelps and she vanishes into a crude, slab like building. I race towards the door, I can still sense her scent lingering on the wind, it spurs me on and in one fluid moment I've torn the door open and am inside! However, in my frantic state I miss, what is about to kill me for the first time, a blinding sign that sways and slices through the wind with the words "Mr Saline's" hacked into it!
Sign up to rate and review this story