Categories > Books > Stephen King > The Secrets Within

Chapter Eleven: The Date

by Roma 0 reviews

None

Category: Stephen King - Rating: PG - Genres: Action/Adventure - Published: 2006-02-08 - Updated: 2006-02-08 - 1961 words

0Unrated
Chapter Eleven: The Date

Much to Matt's dismay, time went by quickly after the two got home. There wasn't much to do anyways. Lauren and Bobby were both out and two cars were missing from the driveway, so they probably hadn't gone somewhere together. Lauren probably went out to meet up with her usual ladies to chat while having tea and cakes while Bobby just went out to gamble on football or poker games.
The rest of the day for Orion and Matt was spent in front of the TV while the once comfortable plush carpet was littered with junk foods, sodas, and empty candy wrappers and chips bags. It was like their usual guys night out, just hanging out, playing videos games, and eating whatever they could lay their hands on.
But luckily for Matt, one of the two girls they met at the mall called him about an hour before Orion's date. She wanted to hang out with him that night, maybe go to the movies or something. Matt, who was grinning for fact that he wouldn't be stuck home alone, immediately agreed. The movie started a few minutes after seven, but he would be leaving to pick Vanessa, which turned out to be the girl's name, up at the same time Orion would be leaving.
They both began to clean up the mess they had made, and then went upstairs to get ready for their night. Orion thought well of his new outfit for the date. The blue shirt brought out the enthusiastic sparkle in his bright green eyes. He took Matt's advice and wore it with blue jeans and his plain white sneakers.
He looked at his watch. It was ten minutes until he had to leave. He grabbed the car keys to his dad's car and went outside to soak in a bit of fresh air, waiting for Matt while doing so.
It wasn't even close to dark outside since summer was approaching quickly. The air was warm and you could smell the humidity in it. It was a perfect day to stay outside so Orion was quite upset with the fact that the restaurant he was planning on taking Misty to was only an indoor one.
Matt finally ran out of the house, car keys in hand, and smelling so strongly of cologne, Orion had to cough after his first breath full of the fumes.
"You...think you...put enough there...buddy?" he asked in between coughs.
"Girls die for a good smell," Matt replied, smiling at Orion's reaction.
"Oh, she's gonna die alright. I'd be very surprised if she doesn't suffocate from that," he said, finally finished with his coughing fit.
Matt just glared at Orion before heading off to his own car. "I'll see you later," he yelled out to him.
"Don't be too late."
"I could say the same to you," Matt said grinning as he got into his car and drove off towards the girl's house.
Orion just smiled as he watched Matt drive off before getting into his own car. He paused as he sat there in the driver's seat. His father's smell still lingered in the car, as if haunting whoever drove inside of it. It made Orion get back that feeling emptiness inside, but realizing that today was a happy day, he shook his head and drove off as well.
Misty was smart enough to have given Orion her street address the day he had asked her out, so Orion was prepared. He followed the directions carefully, but quickly, since he didn't want to be late. He went down the winding roads into a neighborhood and past several house, until he reached a small white house with a sign out front that said 'sold' which was obviously over one that said 'for sale.' He could tell from the fact that the house looked very new that it was Misty's.
He waited there in the car for her since he was way too frightened to go inside and face her parents. Luckily, a few minutes later, he saw a girl come out of the house wearing a white and pink dress and holding a matching purse. Her tall, white heels clicked on the pavement as she walked to the car and got inside.
"Hey," she said, turning to him and smiling. She had gotten dressed and did her make-up in a hurry. As most girls, she had waited until last second to do all this. But you couldn't tell by the way she looked. She looked absolutely gorgeous.
"Hi," Orion replied, returning the smile. His mind went sort of blank from the way she looked. Even if he had seen her before, the way she looked now was...astonishing. "You look great today," he finally managed to say.
"Thanks," she said, turning to face the road since she was beginning to blush again.
Orion continued to drive forth towards La Bella Café which was actually a restaurant and not a café. Finally reaching the small Italian place, Orion parked in front of it, got out of the car, and opened the door for Misty like the true gentleman he was. He just didn't like to show that side of him much.
"Thank you," Misty said, getting out of the car and looking at the place. "This place looks really good."
"It is," Orion replied, walking to the structure and opening the glass door for Misty. "It's one of the only good places in Wakesville."
They both went inside the restaurant. It was a very well decorated place. The inside was supposed to resemble a café in Italy. There were portraits everywhere of Venice, Rome, Pisa, and other well-known places there. Plants stood in the corner of the room, making the atmosphere seem friendly and joyful. There were a few tables with white table cloths on them and flowers vases in the middle.
The lighting was dim - but not because they wanted to have a romantic setting. This place was mainly where teenagers hung out and ate in their free time. The lighting was only dim because the wide glass windows had their curtains wide open, letting the sunlight drown the room with its bright rays.
Orion and Misty found a table near the windows so they could enjoy the sun while it lasted. Knowing the weather in Wakesville, it wasn't going to last long.
They struck up a conversation on how it was like in Wakesville so far and the school among many other things while eating their dishes of pasta.
"So how was it like back in your old town?" Orion asked, putting a forkful of pasta in his mouth.
"Worcester was much different than Wakesville is. The town always seems busy and full of people. It's crazy because even when they don't have to be, everyone's always in a rush to get to places. Our school was just crazy too. None of the teachers could even control our classes," Misty said, laughing. "But besides that, it wasn't that much different from Wakesville."
"It sounds much different to me," he replied. They both laughed and went back to finishing up their meal and talking until there was nobody else in the restaurant but the two of them. It was now getting fairly dark outside and the sun was beginning to set. The two were done with their dinners and desserts when Orion paid for the meals with his own money.
"So, do you want to go now?" Orion asked, looking at his watch.
Misty frowned. "Now? So early?" she asked with some disappointment in her voice.
"I was thinking that we go to the park for a little bit before I drop you home. The weather's awesome so I really wanted to spend some time outside before they day's over."
"That sounds fun," Misty said, returning her smile and getting to leave.
Orion smiled and got up after her, taking her out of the restaurant and to the car. They drove a few more blocks down until they got to Wakesville Park. It was about a block of grassland with a small playground and a few benches. Nobody was there at this time. Everyone was probably outside somewhere, just enjoying the warmth and rainless weather.
Orion parked his car in the park's parking lot and him and Misty both got out. He took Misty's hand and interlaced his fingers with her own as they began walking down the pathway.
"So tomorrow's probably going to be hard for you, right?" she asked, taking a sideways glance at him.
"What? Oh, that. Yeah, I guess it's going to be tough," Orion answered, biting his lip and wishing that she hadn't brought it up.
"I'm really sorry about what happened. I really don't think that you should go through that much pain."
Orion didn't answer. He just stared down at the grass that they were passing by, looking very thoughtful.
Misty noticed that he didn't really want to talk about this anymore so she just didn't say anything more about it. She spotted a park bench and sat down on it, pulling Orion on it with her. "Thank God the school year's almost over," she said smiling.
Orion, on the other hand, was frowning. "That's really too bad..."
"Bad? And why is that?"
"I'm going to miss art class."
"I thought you hated art class."
"I did," Orion said, turning to face her, "until you moved here."
Misty smiled at him, looking into his eyes.
Orion looked at her sitting there, so beautiful and flawless in his eyes. He put a hand to her check and brought her face close while moving forward himself until their lips touched. He rested them there for about a few seconds, kissing and then pulling away.
Misty looked at him, still mesmerized by the kiss. After a few more seconds to comprehend what had just happened, she smiled softly and gripped on tighter to his hand.
They stayed there watching the sunset until it got really dark. When it did, they got up and walked back to the car very unwillingly. None of them wanted to leave the other's side, but they knew that they would have to eventually.
Orion drove back to her house more slowly than he had come. He stopped when he got to the front of it. "I guess I'll talk to you on Monday then," she said turning to face her.
"Yeah, good-night," she said as they both leaned in for a short good-bye kiss. She shot him one last smile before getting out of the car and heading back to the house.
Orion looked after her until he saw that she was safe inside her house again before driving off to his own home. The night had been a good one in his opinion. Nothing had gone wrong with the date, except for the mentioning of his dad, but that was later made up for.
He parked in his driveway and went inside to find Matt watching TV in the living room, obviously waiting for Orion to get back.
He looked up as he saw Orion come in. "It's about time. Where have you two been?" he asked in a motherly tone.
"We just had dinner and then went to the park for a bit. Everything went surprisingly well. What about you? How long ago did you get here?"
"I got here ages ago. Movies aren't that long, you know," he replied.
"So how was the movie?"
"Umm...I don't know. We never really looked up to watch it," Matt said with a mischievous glint in eyes and a grin on his face. Orion laughed as he sat down to watch TV after that long, tiring, but worthwhile day.
Sign up to rate and review this story