Categories > Original > Romance > Oh, You've GOT to Be Kidding Me

In Which the Authoress Sneaks Glances

by Ryder 0 reviews

Mind you, this was the first time a guy had ever asked me to his house. Like, ever. So I was slightly on the freaking out side.

Category: Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Humor,Romance - Published: 2008-03-27 - Updated: 2008-03-27 - 591 words

0Unrated
A/N: Names changed, as usual.

Now, you might be thinking, “Boy, does this girl have problems with love.” Well, yeah, I definitely do. But I’m no better or worse off because of it.

I’ve come to realize my problems with guys kinda stemmed from my pretty much craptastic past, wherein it used to be the fashion to dare guys to ask me out just to be mean to me (and them). I got so used to guys being complete assholes that I now assume that any guy who is remotely nice to me likes me in that way.

Which led me to my next couple of pseudo-romantic problems.

Phil Carlson and Riley Lancaster.

Both were in my gym class. I was drawn to Phil from day one but it took me a while to even notice Riley. So long, in fact, that I don’t really even remember how we met. But that’s beside the point.

Phil had this quality about him that just made you like him. He would be swearing, cussing, stealing your stuff, but he would still be likable. If he smiled, you had to smile. He looked kind of elfish, I suppose is the word.

Here’s where it gets interesting: I had decided that, no matter what, I would be in our theatre group this year, no matter what show we did. I half wanted to rescind that assertion, because as I walked into school one morning, there was a sign advertising auditions for our fall musical- High School Musical. When I first saw that movie, I wanted to spork my eyes out. And then chop my ears off. Or maybe in reverse order, I don’t really remember.

But due to my longing for theatre, I had to do it. And, to my great surprise, Phil wanted to try out, too.

I had pegged Phil for the more athletic type, but turns out that he wanted to be a director, and so he got into the acting thing.

At first, he tried to deny that he liked HSM, but when one day he brought in his MP3 player and started blasting the music during gym, I thought he had gone nuts. The next day he said he got the super-mega-special edition of HSM on DVD, and I nearly died. Because the next words out of his mouth were shocking.

“So I was thinking you should come over and we can practice the songs for the audition.”

Mind you, this was the first time a guy had ever asked me to his house. Like, ever. So I was slightly on the freaking out side.

I picked my jaw up off the proverbial floor and said, “Sure.”

So, later that night, things were going pretty well until... Until, well, he opened his mouth to sing. We’re talking fingers on blackboard here, people. Aside from the bad singing, it was a pretty nice evening. We talked. I snuck glances at him during songs. I could swear he was doing it back.

But here’s where the irony gods attacked me.

Homecoming.

Now, I wasn’t exactly planning on him asking me to homecoming. I mean, I’d known the guy for like a month. But I wasn’t expecting to meet Lindsay, his girlfriend of two years.

Wow.

Aside from the fact that I did, in fact, get into the show (Phil somehow managed to get in, too,) I was feeling rather annoyed.

Little did I know it was about to get worse.
Sign up to rate and review this story