Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Boy Who Vanished

Day One

by Immortal7 0 reviews

The first morning of classes.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Angst,Drama - Characters: Harry,Hermione,Pansy - Warnings: [V] [?] - Published: 2008-04-12 - Updated: 2008-04-12 - 5183 words

4Original


Disclaimer: Words of wisdom. Never claim to be the creator of something that has made over a billion dollars over the world. Yeah that good advice so I wont claim to have created this.

A/N This is to everyone who reviewed last time. Thank you. While I don't write for reviews. It's true almost everything I post is just for my own amusement. I do like to see that other people as well enjoy my work. So a review, an alert, or a favorite are all the same in my book. I'm just happy that anyone wants to see me continue on with something Ikind of created. Any way here is the next chapter. I hope you all enjoy it as much as the last I basically scrapped the original I had since it didn't fit the last chapter.

Chapter 3: Day One

Harry just lay in bed listening to the snores of his roommates. He doubted that the sun had even started to rise yet so he stayed laying in bed hoping to get comfortable enough to go back to sleep. He knew this wasn't going to happen, but he had to try anyway. After just laying there for about twenty minutes he shrugged the covers off and spread open the drapes around his bed. He opened his trunk and grabbed a button up shirt and threw it across his small frame and left the room. The staircase was dark as he made his way down. Harry wandered down into the common room to see that the fireplace was in a full blaze. So he looked around trying to find the person that would be down with him than. He had expected to find a seventh year or even a fifth year each getting ready for the exams the year promised for them. How ever he found the bushy haired girl he had saved from the gang of now slytherns on the train the week previously. She was sitting in the chair he had claimed to be his favorite after about half aday in the school. It was right next to the fire place and was turned just right it kept warm with out the blaze tanning your face from exposure."Comfortable spot isn't it?"

His voice got the desired effect. The bushy haired girl jerked her head up sharply. She smiled slightly obviously hiding her slightly bucked front teeth behind a book."Yeah it is." She glanced around conspicuously to see if she missed the presence of anyone else. Finally coming to terms that he was the only person with her she lowered the book. "I'm surprised to see someone else up. I didn't think anyone would be up for another two hours at least. "

Harry sat down on the couch. "I didn't plan on being up. I just don't sleep well sometimes."He stopped when he realized that he was speaking too much about himself. "That and I do believe I have to three loudest snorers in the whole school. I'm sure you can hear them from here." He tried to steer the conversation in to another direction. The plain truth is he really only slept about three hours a night.

"So that noise I hear is coming from your dorm room. You have my sympathies." She lowered her book to allow him a better view of her face. She had a nervous look on her face. "So what do you think the first classes are going to be like?"

Harry sat down on a couch in front of her. "I betting that they won't be too bad. We are only first years after all." He glance around as a sound brought his attention else where. "Just don't let the Professors bully you or they will target you as afan favorite for the rest of the term. They like to make examples out of students both good and bad to give us role models."

"How do you know so much about this already?" She stopped and reevaluated her question before he could respond. "I'm sorry I shouldn't have been so pushy. I'm just nervous about being here."

"Don't worry about it I understand. My mother says I'm way too curious for my own good."That's all he spoke on the subject. "Well I'm going to leave you alone and get ready for class before my roommates get up" He didn't wait for an answer and was up the stairs. He grabbed a set of Robes and a clean pair of slacks. He walked to the showers and waited for a stall to open up. He heard the other occupants complaining about how Wood was being a bastard this early in the mourning. He waited for the first person to step out only to come face to face with one of the twins.

"Well if it isn't our new found friend. Fred guess who came looking for us?" The only reply the towel clothed twin got was a few mumbles and quit being so damn fucking cheery this early in the morning. "Well young Mister Evans what can I do for you this bright and beautiful morning?" The twin had a smile set deep into his face.

"Just need the shower." Harry spoke with an emotionless tone. Than tried to walk past the older student.

"Now Iwouldn't use that stall if I was you. I would wait for another to open up." The smile never left his face. And truth be told it was comforting to Harry. He found it to be a sign that something was right in the universe.

"May I ask what would happen if I used that stall. I really just want to get to breakfast and class early." Harry just leaned back against a sink and waited for an answer.

"Well lets just say that the first in will regret it and more than likely miss the first two or three classes from embarrassment." Harry stood there impressed. He had not really expected to be told anything.

"Should Iavoid any thing else today or just that shower?" The smile on George just grew bigger at the question.

"Now why should I give away all our secrets? I promise that nothing is to harmful. And this is our first and only warning. You impressed us yesterday by sticking up to us. Maybe we will let you go again if we feel you deserve it, but until then its open season so to speak." Than he left the bathroom leaving Harry to wait until an older black student left his stall and than walked in and let the water run over his body. He thought on what class he would have today and with whom. All he could hope for is that he had potions at a later date. Letting the water relax him he remembered that his Uncle Snape had some sort of relationship with the little blonde wannabe he had threatened yesterday. And along with that thought he hoped Sirius was at a later date as well. He wasn't in the mood to deal with his hyperactive uncle.

After letting the water relax him for almost twenty minutes Harry got out hearing the bathroom started to fill up. He walked out of the stall and heard a scream. Turning to see the victim of the twin's first prank of the year he saw a boy from he thought second year screaming with long blonde hair and an amazing pair of breasts. The boy almost ran everyone over getting out of the room. The whole room busted out laughing as Harry walked not far behind the troubled housemate. However he went to his dorm and changed and left before anyone else got back.

Walking down the steps he saw that the common room had filled up much more than it was his first time down. He looked around, but couldn't find Hermione any where and he was glad for that. He knew he had been rude earlier, it was just that he really didn't want to talk about himself to a person he verily knew. He just found it so easy to talk to her and that scared him. Seeing that nobody was paying him any mind he slipped out the portrait towards the Great Hall. He found the halls empty and not a sign of Peeves. The slight good mood he was feeling however was ruined the moment he entered the hall and his uncles were already there and staring at him. Snape signaled him to come over to them. Harry walked over with his head down waiting for what ever lecture he was about to receive.

"Harry did you really have to threaten the boy?" Snape was speaking quietly to his adopted nephew. "I know that you don't have to get along just leave him alone. I don't want to have to deal with his father at the moment because he will owl him." Harry didn't even bother to look at his uncles. "Just ignore my foolish godson for now. He has not received the training you have and I don't want to have to explain where you learned such things at this point."

"Yes uncle."Harry's response was very automated. He was always getting in trouble with the two uncles in front of him. Not serious trouble just ways of dealing with problems trouble. Snape wanted him to extract payback in the dark and let no one know. While Sirius was a more in public you shall pay and be humiliated person. They always fought over the methods, but from what he had gathered from both his Mother and Remus they use to hate each other so just being able to stand in the same presence of each other with out curses and hexes being throw was an improvement. When no other responsive came directed to him Harry wandered over to the Gryffindor table only to see Hermione staring at him inquisitively. He knew she wanted to question the scene she had caught sight of it was just he didn't feel up to saying anything about it. So he hoped his look conveyed his message.

She stayed quiet and slowly ate the beacon that was on her plate. Harry just sighed in relief than a body slipped next to him. Pansy was sitting next to him just grabbing some food from the platter in front of her not even worrying that it was not her table. Since nobody was bothering to tell her off Harry figured it was okay for now. Harry just felt this weird felling pass over him as the newly minted Ravenclaw ate quietly beside him. She was halfway through the food on her plate when she reached in to her satchel and pulled out a book on Charms holding it up with one hand and eating with the other. Harry noticed that Hermione was doing the same thing and wondered how the bushy haired girl made it into Gryffindor and not Ravenclaw with her obvious infatuation with learning. Here was about to question the two when some one started to throw a fit over Pansy sitting next to him. "What is she doing here?" Harry looked up to see one of his dorm mates. The boy had a full head of red hair. Harry just shrugged his shoulders and hoped that that would be enough for the housemate.

"What's the matter Ron? Not here a day and all ready mad because somebody made it to the food before you. We guarantee that it won't disappear before you get some."Harry could see the family resemblance between the three redheads. They all had the same facial structure and he wondered if the younger boy had the same habits of pranking students as his older brothers did. However he was soon not thinking about that as the classmate began shoveling food in to his mouth at an alarming rate. The sight actually brought both girls form their books in disgust. Harry had to agree with them he could feel his own stomach rebelling against him at how much food was being swallowed with out chewing completely, that and the fact he ate without closing his mouth helped with the visualization.

"Mr. Weasley Iknow your mother taught you better manners than that. I would appreciate it if you used the manners since you are representing your house. "The voice actually made Harry jump since he was so focused on Ron's eating technique that Professor McGonagall was right behind him. "Now Ms. Granger here is your schedule, Mr. Evans, Mr. Weasley, and Ms. Parkinson I need you to go to your table to get your schedule. We don't mind if you eat at other tables for meals, just remember that during feasts you need to sit with your house mates." Pansy didn't say anything. She walked over to he head of house grabbed her schedule and came back next to Harry. Harry was a little nervous over the whole situation, but was waiting to see what was going on first.

After the shock of someone invading his space he looked at his classes and groaned. He had defense first thing first. With no appetite left from watching Ron he grabbed his bag and left the table with out a word. He heard two people behind him, but ignored it when he saw that his Uncles were no longer at the staff table. So he just started towards his class to get it over. Since Snape had scolded him over the altercation with Draco, Sirius would be proud of him just to ruffle Snape's feathers. Once he reached the door he looked behind him to see Hermione and Pansy right behind him. "Stay here don'tcome in until I say." His voice brought the two girls to a stop.

Harry opened the door and immediately brought up a shield to block the disarming spell thrown at him and released a minor cutting curse of his own. He didn't wait for to see if the spell hit and dropped to the ground as stunning spell flew over his head. He got up and threw a bludging hex at the figure at the front of the room. The sound of a figure hitting the ground had Harry lower his shield spell. That was Sirius's game. First one to be able to disarm or knock his opponent to the ground won. Harry heard the sound of footfalls behind him and turned to tell the two girls off when he came face to face with Ron. Ron had alook on his face that was a mix of amazement and horror. "I can't believe you attacked a teacher!" With that said all the students that were standing outside avoiding class until the last second came in and stared at him. Harry could tell that they all heard about him saying the name of the creature that haunted the wizarding world on the train. The look on Hermione and Pansy's face were what pissed him off he had spent all morning getting that inquisitive look off of their faces and here with a few simple words rekindled their fire. Harry raised his wand to hex the boy.

"Harry that is enough," The voice brought the class back to the attention of the teacher. "Lower your wand. I don't care how much you want to hex other the boy. Besides Ireally don't want to have another lecture with Severus about you today." Harry lowered his wand and glare at his uncle. Than sat down in a desk in the back of the room.

The rest of the class glanced back and forth between the professor and student. The fact that Professor Black had called Harry by his name on the first day meant that they knew each other outside of the school. The class was about to ask questions when the bell rang indicating that classes had started. So all the gossips had to quiet down for now that is until they got a handle on their new teacher and his habits with his classes. They watched as their professor sat at his desk and stared at his students. He seemed to be pondering something and would not let his students speak for the whole time he was thinking. Than asmile appeared on his face and some of the class became concerned at the mental state of their teacher. "Now I can understand that some of you are completely in awe at the castle. The fact that you are first years in what some have claimed to be the finest magical education center in Britain and most of Europe says a lot about your potential. As I'm sure some of you are aware this is not a school that the rich can just throw money and make the list. No matter what you are here because you have shown potential in someway."

Sirius got up form his desk and started to pace in front of his class. "For your first week of class with me I have only one thing that I want you to do. That is I have only one thing assigned for you to do and that is repeat after me. Voldemort." Half the class froze at their teacher's statement. Nobody moved to say anything however.

"Voldemort." The whole class looked back expecting the voice to be that of the boy that had all ready proven that he could say the name on the train to only see a bushy haired girl. She didn't even seem to be that shocked that she had said such a thing out loud. "Why are you all staring at me? I only did what he asked me to." She pulled up an aura of command that a lot of the class turned back around to continue the lesson.

The class turned around to see a smiling Professor. "Well I take it that you are all scared for her now?" His words brought a few nods from the class. "Don't be. Be afraid for yourselves. It is only a name everyone. It takes not bravery or courage to say a name does it?" This time his face brought forth seriousness that they had never seen. "I run a very unconventualcourse here. I will attack students at random. They will not be harmful spells, but they make life annoying to you for the moment. I will say his name at random times as well. Sometimes I will say it than attack you." His speech was interrupted by a hand being raised. "Yes miss?"

"Pansy Parkinson sir, I just want to know why you are warning us about your potential attacks?" The raven haired girl blurted out quick.

"Good question and I have a good answer. You all have been warned that Voldemort might attack. You just don't know when it will be. It will be much the same with me. And Iwill not do it just in this class. I want you all to be prepared for life in our society. Unfortunately right know that involves being ready to defend yourself at a moments notice." Sirius got up and wandered over to Harry and the only two other people in class that had spoken up since he started. "You three may leave since you have already have come to terms with the point of my lesson today. I will warn you I am not joking I want you all to be on guard."

Harry was the first up of the three. He was about out the door when someone finally spoke up."Why does she get to leave? All she did was ask a question."

"Voldemort. I'm not afraid to say his name like you are Weasley." Pansy had stopped gathering her bag as she spoke.

"That's because your family is full of dark wizards. I suppose you must get a kick out of saying your master's name." He was going to continue when he suddenly wasn't making any sound. Finally tired of it all he slammed is hand on the desk.

"Mr. Evans that will be ten points from Gryffindor and next time it will be detention."Sirius looked at his godson with a pain. He knew this was going to be a hard year for him, but he needed to learn to let what people said to flow past him sometimes.

"Okay." With that Harry left the room completely. Harry was walking to the astronomy tower when he heard the sounds of the two girls behind him. He continued to walk trying his best to ignore the two girls he knew were about to question him relentlessly. Walking up the steps he tried to hurry up in a weary escape tactic.

"Harry, can you hold up please?" He turned to see Pansy calling out to him. Both the girls seeing him stop ran a little fast to get by his side. "I just want to say thank you." Harry made it obvious that this was not what he thought was going to happen. "You didn't have to stand up for me and I just wanted to say thank you for both times you have been there for me."

Harry looked at the stairs contemplating his next words. "You don't have to thank me. Idon't want it. I don't deserve it. I only silenced him because for some reason he annoyed me since I saw him in the boat." With that he walked up the rest of the steps hoping the duo would leave him alone for the rest of the day. The end of his climb brought him to the open platform tower. He stared out at the cloudy sky noticing that the sun was being overcast with some of the clouds making the area a decent temperature for the time of year.

"You don't have to spend all your time alone Harry." Harry turned to see Hermione and Pansy behind him. He turned back and stared of in to the sky.

"Don't worry about me I can take care of myself." He stopped and looked back at them. "You know what how about I see you guys in our next class. I just want to think about some things for a bit." He could tell that they didn't want to leave him for the moment. He felt lonely when they finally left back down the stairs. He walked over to the ledge and sat down dangling his legs over the edge. Harry stared staring down brought feels of freedom in to his mind. "I wish I had my broom. I really wish I could just get a little time in." The thoughts dominated his mind for what felt like the next few minutes as he glanced at the ground below. Finally realizing he needed to get up and go to lunch or somebody would come looking for in the form of his Uncles he wandered the halls until he came to the entrance of the great hall.

Immediately Hermione and Pansy zeroed in on his silhouette in the doorway moved over alittle to accommodate him at the table. They watched him sit next to them never looking in there direction or speaking a single audible word. They were worried about him. They both could see that he was lonely and defensive to a lot of things. They decided to leave him alone for right now and began a conversation about the classes they were most interested in for the following week. She realized that they would only have three classes together there whole year so they would have to study together in the library. "Well if it isn't the blood traitors and the mudblood. I knew you were always a little off Pansy. I can't wait to hear how your parents take your little trip off their chosen path. And you mudblood don't think I'm done with you either. It's only a matter of time until I catch you alone with out your protectors."

"Malfoy if you even consider those thoughts in your head as anything more than a diluted fantasy of an obvious fatherly neglected little worm out to hope his attempts at scheming grant him the hug his father would never give him because he failed to see how he had ever spawned such a nauseating insect as your self I will hex you until all they find is a puddle in need of therapy." Hermione's extended speech took the Slythern back as he tried to take in all her words and figure out what they all meant at the same time. After a minute of thinking he left unable to figure out a response to the words she had thrown in to his direction.

"Um Hermione while I find the fact that you could actually shock Draco speechless what does therapy mean?" Pansy questioned her new friend quickly.

"It means to go to somebody and talk to them to make your self feel better about things that happen in their lives." Harry had finally brought himself in to the conversation. "However more often than not it just confuses them worse."

Hermione looked closer at Harry than let it go. "Yeah basically what Harry said. It's a muggle thing." Hermione could see her last sentence helped clarify some of the confusion in her friend's eyes. "So what do you guys think History is going to be like? I heard from some of the older students that it's taught by a ghost."

Just as she finished talking a pair of twins sat across them and gave Harry a look. "So Mr. Evans how did you enjoy the peep show this morning? Can you believe that McGonagall still has not found the culprits for such a tasteless joke that she automatically decided to come to us and see if we did it? Now we all now that after our attempts to borrow the toilet seats last year we would not start our year off with such a prank. So our obvious worry was somebody was spreading lies about us. This brings us to our current matter and situation. Would you by any happening chance know such a dastardly being to try and frame us so early in the year Harry?" The twins just sat there waiting for Harry to answer their question.

"Must you two always speak like that? You act like you are joined in the brain or something. Now I must ask you to step away form the first year and stop what ever prank you two are up to. I mean after the prank this morning I figured you would at least wait for a day to start another one." The figure behind them stopped talking and looked at Harry. "Evans right? Don't let my brothers bother you. If you have a problem with them just look for me or another prefect. They have this problem with prankingeveryone in sight and not bothering to do school work. I'm Percy by the way. Well as long as you two are not causing any trouble I'll be on my way."

"We're wounded Percy. We never get in any trouble. You wound us with your unkind words on or characters." With that Percy snorted in disbelief.

"And Mom is actually going to stop worrying about us when we are out of her sight. Just try and not get detention on the first day at least. Or Mom will think I'm actually allowing your behavior."

"Don't worry Percy. Just think about how good you stand out against our reputations." This brought all three to a small laugh until Percy left. "Isn't that sweet of our brother to be looking out for us. "

Harry just looked at the display and racked his brain on the wrong feeling he got from it. Percy caused him to feel a sadness he had not felt since looking at Sirius the first time. He just ate a little to let the feeling sink in and bury itself in his mind like most other encounters he had in the wizarding world. They always left him confused with the different emotions attached to them. In fact that was part of his current mood in the school. Even after a day he been struck by so many other names and feelings it was slowly driving him sick.

"Harry you coming?" Harry looked up and noticed that most everyone was leaving for classes that were starting. He nodded and grabbed his bag following behind the two girls that had decided to keep an eye on him after his untimely rescue on the train. He felt safe with them for some reason and he felt the feeling from being more around Hermione than Pansy, but something told him that it was okay.

He muttered under his breath a thank you for them making sure he was not late for class. He wasn't sure they heard him which brought him a feeling of gratitude after his whole speech earlier. He walked behind them wondering if maybe he wasn't as ready to leave the comforts that came from just being with his Mother and Uncle almost all the time as he thought he was. He knew he would get over it soon much like he had when he went to primary school it just took some time go have it sink in he would not see his parents for a few months instead of everyday. Than looking ahead at the two scholars in the making in front of him he felt that maybe if everything went right he wouldn't be as alone as he thought he was. Harry felt the smile form on his face and he got closer to the duo as they went to their last class of the day.

A/N Well here it is the third chapter and I hope you all enjoyed it. I will try and update this story a little faster than I have been, but at the same time I'm trying to write The Fallout and keep the two universes I have created separate. (Yes, Iknow shameless self promotion what but what is a person to do. Lol).That and I have five other stories just in the lovely HP universe I'm writing on the side not ready for posting yet as well. Hell I have to many stories in the making. I have what I've deemed a plot bunny breeding farm in my mind. Any way enough of my rambling and such review, flame, or just read and move on its all good. If you do have any ideas about my fic please share I'm always willing to listen to ideas and criticism. I mean how else am I suppose to improve and who knows your idea for the piece maybe a lot better than mine. I always give credit where it's due so all good to me. Any way thanks again to all those who have reviewed, favorite, or alert this story it actually means a lot that you enjoy it so much. Later every one.

Sign up to rate and review this story