Categories > Cartoons > Teen Titans > A Dish Best Served Cold

Brewing Trouble

by Count-Le-Madphantom 0 reviews

Zero is depressed, Jinx gets jealous... and a battle is approaching. Things are getting tense.

Category: Teen Titans - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Romance - Characters: Beast Boy, Cyborg, Gizmo, Jinx, Mammoth, Raven, Robin, Slade, Starfire - Warnings: [!] [V] [X] - Published: 2006-02-12 - Updated: 2006-02-13 - 2627 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: The Teen Titans are not my property.


A Dish Best Served Cold-Chapter Seventeen...



The next morning, Sub-Zero awoke with a yawn and sat groggily up. Judging by the way the sun was just beginning to peek over the snowy mountaintops, it was just now dawn.

The castle had plenty of spare bedrooms, so Zero and Jinx no longer had to share a bed... and honestly, he actually kind of missed the ship...

Shaking his head trying to clear his thoughts, he pulled on his body armor, slipped on his boots and gloves, grabbed Eviglasere, and walked out of the room.

He needed a walk desperately... he hoped it would ease his mind. Ever since Starfire had asked the question about his father... he had been thinking long and hard about it. He had all but forgotten his questionable ancestry a long time ago... but now, last night, he had been forcefully reminded of it. And it had been jarring.

As he strode along the dim, icy corridors of Castle Norblitz, he pondered how he had come to be here... he knew that, supposedly, he had been left here by his late, scoundrel of a father.

He was raised here, in this castle, and he knew the ins and outs of the place better than the king himself, from the passage He and the Titans had used to get in, and also several other little secrets he felt sure only he knew about, mainly because his father had built them in the first place. ... For most of his life the guards were his playmates, the butlers and maids were fussing caregivers, the other Knights were all like brothers to him, and the good, old king has always been... something of a surrogate grandparent.

It was purely by chance that he had been selected for Knight training at a young age. At first, everyone looked down upon him because of his criminal lineage...even though he had barely been three years old. For four years, he worked as a lowly servant at the castle.

But then, when he was seven years old, everything changed.

He had been taking a walk, much like he was now, when suddenly he heard a woman's scream. He immediately ran off to find the source, and discovered a maid in a nearby room with a snarling, giant, arctic wolf... to this day, no one knows how on Earth that beast had gotten in, but it didn't matter. \

Young Zero's first instinct was to run away and alert the guards... but he quickly realized by the time they returned, the girl would be dead. So, he did all he could. He grabbed a small, wood-chopping hatchet, made from the same blue metal as his armor, from a metal rack on the wall. With a yell, he ran at the creature and wildly swung it... he should've been mauled to death, but somehow he avoided the angry animal's claws with every vicious swipe... and within a minute or so, a group of guards, as well as the head knight... who's name happened to be Frost-Wound... came running at the sound of the boy's yell.

But by the time they got there, the only things in the room were a young servant with a hatchet covered from head to toe in wolf blood, the chopped to pieces remnants of a wild wolf, and a maid who had fainted, though was otherwise okay.

On that fateful day, Frost-Wound personally requested the king for permission to train the boy in the ways of the Knight. The king, who had always been kind to little Zero, despite his background, quickly agreed.

For the rest of his days, Zero trained in many things: the trade of the swordsman, the lore of his inherent ice powers, and the art of treating wounds being the most prominent.

Also though, the boy developed other 'skills' on his own.

Perhaps it was the pirate blood in him, but he had always had a knack for picking locks, sneaking around while avoiding detection, finding secret passages, and disarming booby traps. Abilities, which though not exactly knightly, served him well.

He developed these skills in addition to his Knight training, and on the day he turned sixteen, he set off to pass his final test... and the rest, as they say, is history.

Sub-Zero gasped softly as he realized where his feet had been taking him without his even realizing it: the Titans' rooms.

He doubted any of them were awake at this point; it was still very early. Last night, after their little chat with his Highness, Zero had ordered a bunch of extra blankets be brought to their rooms, for he knew they wouldn't be used to the cold here. He hoped the extra covering had helped.

All of the sudden, he heard a soft, familiar voice coming from one of the rooms...

"Azarath, Metrion, Zinthos... Azarath, Metrion, Zinthos... Azarath, Metrion, Zinthos..."

"Huh? Raven?" Zero mumbled in slight confusion... clearly it was her, but why was she up so early?

After a moment of hesitation, he walked up and opened up the large, metal door slowly.

There sat Raven, levitating in midair and chanting softly to herself while meditating.

The second he entered the room, she stopped chanting and her eyes snapped open, looking at him curiously.

Raven had a knack for telling when something was on someone's mind, and she could easily identify a sense of grief about him... as if he regretted something.

"What are you doing?" she asked dryly.

He waved his hands apologetically, "Sorry! Didn't mean to interrupt you, I just... didn't think anyone would be up yet."

"It's fine. It's you I'm worried about." She murmured knowingly.

He blinked blankly. "...Me?"

"Yes you... listen, I know a thing or two about people's emotions... and I can tell that something's wrong with you." She explained. "So what is it?"

He gulped. "Well, to be honest... there is one thing. Last night... what all did you find out about my father? I know the maids told you, but I mean what did they tell you, exactly?"

She looked at him with an expression of mild interest. "So that's it. That's what's bothering you. Your father." It wasn't a question.

He sighed heavily and nodded. "I had forgotten about all that... until just last night. It makes me wonder... after all, it's a little ironic, huh? A Knight, who's job it is to keep the peace and hunt down criminals and defend his home... had a murdering sea reaver for a father..." he lamented, more and more sorrow creeping into his voice as he continued.

She shook her head. "It has nothing to do with it. You could have had a priest for a father and ended up a thief... a person's family history doesn't necessarily influence their destiny." She said sagely.

He looked at her hopefully. "You really think so?"

For a rare moment, Raven actually smiled. " I know so."

She got up and walked nearer to Zero, sitting down beside him. She put a hand on his shoulder.

"That's one thing we have in common, you see..." She said softly, "Just between you and me... let's just say my father wasn't exactly the ideal parent, either."

Sub-Zero looked at the telepath quizzically, but before he could ask anything the door opened again, with Jinx standing in the doorway.

"Hey, Raven. Wakey, wakey... Robin said to wake you up, they made us breakf-"

Jinx stopped mid-sentence, seeing Zero and Raven sitting on the floor together.

"Huh?...Zero?" she asked softly, a confused and shocked look in her eyes. "What are you doing in here?"

"Oh, Raven and I were just having a talk... we're coming." Zero replied.

She looked at him with a strange, almost hurt expression... and then walked out with out saying anything else.

"Uhhh.... Was it something I said?" he mumbled, puzzled by her suddenly cold demeanor towards him.

Raven sighed. "No... I think she was a little upset seeing you with me."

"What? Why? We were just talking!"

"I know... but she doesn't. You should probably talk to her..."

Zero groaned softly. "Yeah, you're right... you go ahead and go with the others to breakfast; I'm going to see if I can clear this up..."

The Titans were all awake, and on their way to the banquet hall for breakfast. The servants, who had informed them that they were invited to breakfast, had just woken them up, except for Raven who was already awake.

Jinx lagged behind the rest, staring sullenly at the ground as she walked. In her head, she was torn between mixed feelilngs.

'Why was he in there with Raven so early? They were just talking... Hmph! That's what HE says. What if they...no. Zero wouldn't do that....would he? No! I'm just being Jea-'

Jinx put a hand to her forehead and was silent... what hurt the most was the realization that she really WAS jealous. Of RAVEN, of all people... but she couldn't help it.

"Jinx!" Sub-Zero hollered from behind, trying to catch up with Jinx. She turned to look at him.

"Yes?" Jinx answered, doing her best to disguise her jealousy.

"Are you alright? You seemed a little... troubled, back there." Zero asked with concern.

"What were you doing in Raven's room?" she blurted out before she could stop herself.

Zero chuckled. "I heard her meditating, so I went in to see why she was awake so early... apparently, she's an early bird.... Heh, get it? Raven! Bird!" He joked, laughing. "Aw, I kill myself..."

"I'm serious!" Jinx hissed vehemently.

He flinched and gasped, surprised and hurt by her outburst.

"So am I... really, we were just having a conversation. Jinx, I don't get it... did I say something earlier to upset you?"

She said nothing, but turned her back to him, not out spite for him, but out of shame of herself.

"Zero, I.... I'm sorry, I shouldn't have snapped at you like that." She apologized softly; she sounded sad.

He took her by the shoulder and turned her around looking into her eyes.

"Jinx, please.... Look, I know something's wrong.... So just tell me what, and I promise I'll do whatever I can to help!" he insisted.

She didn't know what to tell him. Tell him she was jealous for no good reason?

"It's stupid..." she mumbled in shame "I... I was upset.... when I saw you with Ra.... Raven."

Sub-Zero stared at her incredulously.

"Holy crap.... I don't believe it. Jinx, you're jealous, aren't you?" he asked softly, squeezing her thin shoulder lightly.

She hesitated, and then nodded grudgingly. "Okay, so what if I was?" she hissed sullenly.

He surprised her when he suddenly grabbed her in a hug and embraced her tightly and affectionately.

"Wha-Zero what are you....?"

"Jinx.... Please believe me. Raven's my friend, you know that. And despite what you might think, that's ALL we are. Jinx, can't you see I-" the white haired youth stopped suddenly, cursing his tongue for speaking without permission.

She looked at him curiously. "You what?"

He took a deep, steadying breath to fortify his nerves... and then said exactly what he was thinking.

" Jinx... I love one person only in this world.... And that's you." He whispered holding onto her like a drowning man to a floating log.

For a moment, the sorceress stood there, too stunned to speak. Then, she started tearing up in happiness, her pink eyes going wide with sudden shock.

"Sub-Zero, are.... are you.....serious?" she demanded, her face blushing startlingly red.

"As serious as I can be... I swear it." He insisted, and then repeated himself. "I love you, Jinx..." he said, smiling widely at her look of shocked joy.

Jinx buried her face in his chest, while he stroked her back gently trying to calm her down. After a moment, she stopped sniffling, and looked up at him.

"Well, shall we catch up with the others? It's breakfast time, and I'm getting hungry..." Zero said.

She nodded silently.






Meanwhile, In The Arctic Ocean...


Under the frozen waters of the Arctic... was a huge, dark shape gliding along under the water. It looked almost like some massive shark cutting through the cold, watery shadows at high speed.

In actuality, it was a submarine. A gigantic, armed and armored submarine, with an 'S' logo on it; it was jet black on one side and burnt orange on the other.

Inside the sub was a huge bay where scores of Slade's robotic commandos stood still and silent... apparently, they are not yet activated. Patrolling the sub's corridors were armed H.I.V.E. soldiers, and there in the control room were Slade and Brother Blood.

"Well? How much farther is it?" Blood growled impatiently.

"About 9 hours... we'll get there soon enough, don't worry. Unfortunately... I have a bit of bad news." Slade replied levelly.

Blood looked at him questioningly. "... Bad news?"

Slade looked at him calculatingly. "They have already arrived."

The entire sub rocked with Blood's loud "WHAT?"

"Don't worry... we're about to send them a message." Slade hissed.

Then, Slade proceeded to walk along the bridge of the Sub to the control panel, pressing a few buttons carefully. A message pops up on the control screen saying:


'Troop Storage Projectile: Armed ... Launch sequence initiated ... 3...2...1... FIRE.'


The surface of the frozen water directly above the submarine was quickly shattered by a huge, cruise-missile-like torpedo that sailed at high speed towards our unsuspecting heroes...



Back With The Titans...


The grand banquet hall of Castle Norblitz was a massive, Icy chamber ornately decorated by various ice statues, rows of suits of armor, paintings of snow scenes, and large torches with strange blue flames...

The Titans sat at a special table that had been saved for them, along with Sub-Zero. In front of each one of them was a silver plate, each one with a large slab of smoking meat and a large loaf of freshly baked bread...

Robin eyed the piece of cooked meat warily.

"Eh...Hey, Zero.... What is this, exactly?" he asked hesitantly.

"Just Beef... y'know cow. Cattle." He explained.

Robin sighed in relief and dug in, while Cy and Raven did the same.

Star, being a Tamaranean and thus of healthy appetite, had already finished, so Zero clapped to signal the servants and requested another plate for her.

Beast Boy was eating a platter full of Salad that Cy and Zero had retrieved from the Titans supplies, still stashed in the cargo hold on Zero's ship.

Jinx and Zero sat next to each other, Jinx taking small bites of her loaf of bread while Zero bit into the meat hungrily.

"Mmmm... this is good..." Jinx mumbled, the fresh, hot bread delicious to her.

"Thanks... I'll tell the cooks you said so." Zero chuckled over a mouthful of cooked beef.



KAPOW!!



The missile from earlier crashed through the roof of the castle without warning, causing instant chaos in the banquet hall. The crowds screamed and ran, evacuating the castle, while the guards and knights, except Zero who was too stunned to move, crowded around the missile. Jinx clung to Zero reflexively, thinking they were about to be blown up... but, The missile itself didn't explode... it just stuck in the floor and stayed there.

After a couple minutes of chaos, there was dead silence.

"What in the Hell was that??" yelled Zero, panicked. Jinx whimpered a little in fear, but didn't answer.

Suddenly, the exposed front of the missile opened up like a hatch... and revealed a platoon of Slade's robotic commandos and Brother Blood's H.I.V.E. soldiers, about three dozen each!

Zero and Robin said the same exact thing simultaneously: "Oh, damn...."
Sign up to rate and review this story