Categories > Original > Drama > Lights in Darkness

Things Change

by zoe15 1 review

Set in the first person narrative from Effie's point of view. We find out about her friends and what they do when they meet up. Things all go normally until late at night/early in the morning. Ple...

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Humor - Published: 2008-04-19 - Updated: 2008-04-22 - 1279 words

0Unrated
We reached Franks Bar at about five to ten, but Chrissie, Sawyer, Riley, Scott and Alyssa were already there, as usual. But there was someone new. I didn’t recognise him, but Scott clearly did as he was deep in conversation with him. Chrissie and Sawyer were arguing over who got the first spliff from the weed that Sawyer had tonight, as usual Chrissie wanted it, she was always in need of some weed and Sawyer always had some. Riley and Alyssa were draped over each other, leant against the wall making out, as they nearly always did whenever they had a free moment.
As we arrived Scott broke off his conversation to greet me and Eleanor. He greeted me in his usual way, a big bear hug. But he greeted Eleanor differently this time. Instead of hugging her, he grabbed her wrist and led her over to the new comer, whose name turned out to be Alfie; he was Scott’s cousin from Manchester. Eleanor took to him immediately, which is a new thing for my geeky, weedy and un-learned in the ways of relationships, 15-year-old sister.
Now that everyone was here and introduced we set off for the green. It wasn’t that far away from Franks Bar and it always gave us time to start on the booze before we got there; it was always more fun to be more drunk than sober when arriving at the green as it made it more fun finding our usual place.
Despite the booze it didn’t take us long to find our usual place, a clearing among the trees large enough for a fire and for every to sit around it. We stumbled around looking for fire wood, there was always fallen branches and twigs about but, being drunk made this a little difficult; Sawyer was, as usual, the first one to fall over a branch, today it was one of the logs we sometimes use to sit one. His fall was so comical that those of us in the surrounding area fell about laughing. In the end it was Alfie and Eleanor who brought the firewood, being as they were the two most sober people there. Sawyer was still nursing the bruise on his shin when the fire was ready to be lit, so Chrissie lit it as she was the only other person with a decent lighter. It wasn’t long before the fire was burning and so began the usual occurrence of the game of truth or dare. Chrissie went first, she asked Alissa whether she wanted to do a dare or tell a truth; Alissa, always one for the easy option, took truth. Now, Chrissie’s not that good at truth, she’s more or a dare person, but she did her best. She asked Alissa
“What’s the furthest you’ve gone with Riley?”
After a moment’s hesitation and a glance all around the circle, her eyes lingered on me as I knew the truth; but they lingered longer on Riley, she told us,
“All the way” she quickly blushed and it was obvious that it bothered her more than Riley as he remained in his usual ‘cool, calm and collected’ manner. It didn’t shock many people, only Alfie and Eleanor; but then they were only 15.
Next Alissa chose Scott, who chose to do a dare. His dare was to drink as much of the bottle of Jack Daniels as he could in one minute. To our surprise he drank most of it and was still, well just about able to stand up after wards; well ok only for about two seconds but he still managed it. And so the night went on. Most of getting drunker by the hour, but with Eleanor and Alfie staying sober. They were the reason the fire kept going and so in turn, the reason that, come 2 am we were all still sat in the clearing.
But then things turned weird. Alfie and Eleanor had so far survived the stupid dares thrown upon them by a group of rather drunk teenagers. But now things were different. Scott had just dared Alfie to kiss Eleanor and our entire group was in silence. By now the fire was burning low; Eleanor decided it was time to get more wood, so she ran off in to the woods. I got up to follow her. I don’t remember drinking that much but I could quite walk straight and my words were slurred when I called after her. I stumbled on into the woods watching Alfie race ahead of me looking for her also. I don’t remember when I lost sight of Alfie but I did, I suddenly found myself alone in the woods. I slowed to a walking pace, carefully looking from side to side to see if I could spot them; despite the fact that it was around 2.30 in the morning the light from the full moon meant I could see well. There weren’t many trees left; I could see clear grass land up ahead when I spotted them; three trees ahead of me, just to my left. I could only see Alfie’s blonde hair and my sister’s hands around his neck, but it wasn’t hard to work out what they were doing. I slowly turned round and stumbled back to the fire.
“Hey look who decided to come back to us, shame you didn’t bring any wood though” Slurred Sawyer.
“Oh fuck off and leave her alone will you?” Scott slurred back at him, stumbling up to meet me. “What’s wrong? Is it Eleanor? Or Alfie? Oh fuck its Alfie isn’t it? He’s done something to Eleanor, hasn’t he?” Scott’s voice was getting more worried by the minute.
“No it’s nothing like that...they’re, well, kissing” I giggled.
They all went silent. Chrissie was the first to speak; “wow” she gasped. I could hardly believe it myself. I mean, my own nerdy little sis growing up so quick, that sound so cheesy in my head but I knew it was true. We celebrated the growing up of younger people by each downing what was left of our bottles. After a little while Riley and Alissa got up and wandered off into the woods, Alissa’s giggling could be heard until they were out of sight.
“Three guesses what they’ll be doing” spat Sawyer.
“Now, now there’s no need to be like that” I heard Chrissie soothed.
I don’t remember when but next thing I knew it was just me and Scott sat next to each other by the fire.
“Well my pretty little...erm...oh shit I forgot the word...friend! There we go! Anyway, what was I saying? Oh yes, what do you think our little people are up to?” Scott rambled on; I just sat there staring into the embers of the fire that still glowed orange. I was trying to organise the thoughts in my mind. I couldn’t get the image of my sister and Alfie out of my head, yet I wanted to forget it; I kept thinking ‘what are they doing now?’; images of them flashed through my mind and all I really wanted to do was to tell Scott how I really felt about him, but would he feel the same way? I mean, he’s stuck up for me some many times, but does he feel anything for me? Or is it just friendship he sees in me? Ah fuck it!



_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Please review!! I hope you're enjoying it so far! More soon
Sign up to rate and review this story