Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Boy Who Vanished

Reality is Fleeting

by Immortal7 1 review

The story gets a twist as we see the world from three different people.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Angst,Drama - Characters: Barty Crouch Jr.,Bellatrix,Lily,Lupin,Snape - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2008-05-04 - Updated: 2008-05-05 - 3931 words

5Original
Disclaimer: I claim only the ideas and the OOC personalities that come with them. The Templates do not belong to me.

A/N Here is the fifth chapter as you can see, but this chapter differs in a way, we leave Harry alone most of it and instead focus on the rest of the world. This is a little shorter than the rest. With out further ado the story

Chapter Five Reality is Fleeting

Lily reached down and pulled the sheet up to her chest to bring a smaller amount of warmth to her body with the bed minus one of its usual occupants. She stared at the ceiling and huffed as the fatigue in her muscles would not let her get comfortable. She just sighed and threw the covers off of her and swung her legs over the side of the bed. She let her bare feet touch the floor and lead her to the kitchen. Once she was in the blue room she wandered over to the small refrigerator and grabbed that orange juice in the back of the almost empty device. The night had been a complete and total failure for her. All she could think about was the fact that for the first time in just under ten years she could not check on her son as he slept that he was just down the street. It had been two days since he had left and Tuesday was proving to be the worst day of the week for her. The first night she had Remus to quiet her, but last night had been the full moon leaving in bed to stare at the ceiling all alone. She could only hope that maybe she had not made a mistake by letting her son out it to the real world. She knew that they couldn't run forever and that getting her son to be more comfortable on his own was a good thing.

She would have preferred to have him go to Beauxbatons, but once again she had the give credit where credit is due. Albus had outdone himself in ways she was positive only Riddle would have used to torture his guests. She had been given new reasons to want the man's bearded head on a red and gold platter than she would ever admit out loud to anyone than Remus. First he had banned her from Harry's birthright making I almost impossible for her to have a position in the wizarding world. He had figured that as a useless and naïve muggleborn she would have to come begging to him for financial support. He never figured on the fact that she had grown up with her sister in a single parent home. Her father had died when she was three and her mother took care of her and Petunia. It may have seemed horrible when she was younger with less than some, but her mother imprinted in her mind young that she only should rely on yourself for your own survival.

Lily smirked as she thought of those first desperate months dragging different ideas through her brain to come up with a way to raise Harry on her own. Lily admitted to herself that back than she had been furious. And that is how she came up with her brilliant idea to make money. While not designing spells like she was at first the literary works under her belt were just as satisfying. She had even made sure that the first book she wrote was a love story of epic proportions. While Albus might not have like the fact Grindelwald's and his private moments were reduce to a truly inspirational and heartbreaking tale of love and loss that many gay rights activists recommend and supported it had warmed her heart to see it at number eight on the bestsellers list for the first time.

Figuring she had done enough reminiscing for the day Lily made sure that the coffee pot had been turned on before heading to the steps that lead to the basement. She let her fingers guide her along the railing as the darkened stairwell slowly can to a halt with the presence of a steel door. With a small flick of her wand the door opened inward. Lily let a small ball of light escape the tip of her wand and followed its trail to the form of Remus curled up in a ball on the floor. She hunched down and gave him a kiss on his forehead before gently levitating him back up the stairs. She took him the entire way back to their bedroom before lowering him in bed and throwing the thin comforter over his body. Lily stood there for a moment just listening to Remus breath in and out before leaving the room and heading back to the kitchen. She set down at the table and stared at the cup of coffee in front of her hoping for some inspiration of how to move forward for the day.

She knew that she had a hand full of items that needed to get done before she did anything. The motivation of it all seemed to be lacking at the moment though. It happened this time of the year every time. Okay for the last six years she had a few more weeks before she let herself slip into the depression and worry. It was a very small reason in the years past for the mind set it just didn't help that he was out of her sight. How could think that hiding in the house they lived in would ever help him. It wouldn't and she knew that, but it didn't take the pain that maybe he would never come back to her still dug deep into her heart. She didn't' know what in the world the ancient headmaster might try on her son with out her there to protect him. If she could have gotten him out of the grasp of that man she would have, but the game of chess between the headmaster and herself was full of constant power shifts. He had the edge of experience, but she brought ideas that made him rethink his time honored strategies. And as much as she hated it today she was waiting to see what move he would make now that her son had been force to his side of the board.

She got up and forced herself to think about other things instead of brooding about the safety of her son. She knew that push came to shove he could take care of himself and his biggest problem at the moment was most likely boredom form the beginner's lessons in case. So she dumped the last of the cup down the sink and headed back up towards the only man in her life besides her son that mattered to her. Remus had come into her life a long time ago and seemed to be afraid that she would hate him. They had grown closer in their fifth year when they both had prefect rounds. At first she figured that his distance from her was a form of loyalty to her future husband, but after two months and two full moon she figured out that he was actually not getting close as a strange way of protecting her and himself. She had ended that little mistake quickly. She had told him with her wand pressed against his chest that if he ever compared her to the pureblood idiots of the school she would hex him until that still being able to move by the next full moon would be the least of his problems. They finally after that became better friends. It was an amazing thing that a threat could do.

And now here was the same scarred and scared fifth year werewolf almost twenty years later sleeping naked in her bed where she had placed him. She knew that he felt useless sometimes in the beginning. He was unable to do anything, but help around the house and didn't understand that him just being there kept her sane in the first year after James had stayed like an idiot to take on Voldemort. At first they had just renewed the friendship they had let drop after leaving Hogwarts. He would help her take care of Harry during a few periods of break downs or when ever Albus place a law down that almost forced her to take her son and place him on display as the savior or what ever the bastards plans were. All she knew was that it involved Harry as his personal project.

Lily let her mind wander to the day that Remus had kissed her. He had done to stop her rant on how Albus was a bastard for letting out his secret. He had even shocked himself with the forwardness of his actions, but when she had slammed him into the wall and forced him to continue he was shocked even more. They didn't talk to each other for two days after that. They took months to get past that stage and almost a year to move the whole way. They both went through different emotions on betraying James. It didn't help that Harry basically thought Remus was his father until her was five.

Lily leaned down and pulled the covers back up Remus from where he had kicked them off. She walked towards the shower and cleaned herself as fast as she could. It was close to nine and she had promised Petunia she would come over and help her with Rose. The little girl had caused the tea pot to explode again and Petunia didn't feel like buying a new one when she had a sister that could repair it with the wave of a wand. Petunia also had Dudley for the week before he left for Vernon's old school and thought that she should meet her nephew.

Lily made only a slight pop sound as she disappeared from her living room to the back yard of Petunia's small house. She knew her sister would be up since Rose slept about three hours a night before engulfing herself in the different books Lily herself had gotten her to understand what was happening to her. Once she would have thought that the Potter blood was what had made her son so powerful. Yet with Rose just as powerful fate seemed to say that the power was from her side of the family. Lily knocked on the door and waited for an answer. After a few minutes of waiting the door opened to show an enlarged boy who must have been her nephew.

"What do you want? What ever you are selling we are not buying." Lily let out a small chuckle.

"Is this how you treat all your relatives or am I just special?" Lily watched his eyes scan her again and wondered if he had enough brains behind them to understand what they were telling him.

"Oh you're the freak that my father talks about. You're the reason my sister is as freak as well." The malice in his words made her take a step forward instead of back like he had wanted.

"I'll give you a piece of advice Nephew not everything your father shits out of his mouth is anything, but that shit. I'm not going to ask for an apology since I know you will not mean it. Just remember to watch your tongue around me. I will not put up with such narrow minded view like yours just because you don't understand what is all going on in the world as well as you would like." With that said Lily walked past her fat relative and moved towards the kitchen where she could hear her sister speaking. As soon as she walked in she waved her wand at the tea kettle on the table and conjured herself and her sister a cup of tea.

Petunia stared at her sister for a second and took a sip of the liquid in front of her. It was a little bitter, but she let it go watching her sister fume for a few minutes. " I see you met your darling little nephew." She didn't even bother for an answer before moving on. "Vernon and Jaclyn have raised him quite well wouldn't you say. For the few precious months that I get to see him during the summer I get to listen to him and Rose fight and stop him from calling her a freak. And at moments like that I can't help but wonder how I could conceive such a child. Yet at the same time have Rose as well."

Lily watched her sister let her mind wander on the past so she sat there and drank her tea thinking about how odd this moment would have been ten years ago if not longer. Than around the time Rose turned four she started to show signs of being a witch. Petunia had been desperate and dragged her in to her divorce and help with raising her daughter. Vernon had went as far as calling her a whore saying how no child of his could be a freak. It took a year, but Petunia got a blood test done that proved he was the father. Yet by that time Rose new her father had wanted nothing to do with her and didn't bring it up much. The first couple of years had been awkward between the to sisters and they only met when Petunia need help. Now they met at least every three months in an attempt to regain the closeness of their childhood.

Lily went to speak on the matter of her nephew, but was stopped by a scream. "Aunt Lily" She was tackled by her ten year old blonde and green eyed niece causing her to just smile and let the matter drop as she listened to the different things she had learned from the books she had let her read.



____________________________________________________________________________________



He stood outside the door watching as all the students took a seat. He watched as Harry and his new friend Hermione took a seat next to each other. The rest of the room separated not by friendships, but house colors. He waited for the bell to ring before walking into the room. He slammed the door behind himself to get their attention. "You are all here to learn the subtle science and exact are of potion making." he began. He spoke in barely more than a whisper, but the caught every word--like Professor McGonagall, Snape had the gift of keeping a class silent without effort. "As there is little foolish wand-waving here, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I don't expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins ,bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses.... I can teach you ho to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper dearth-- if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually teach."

Snape watched as the whole class tried to take in what he had said. He new that he was begin harsh and uncaring, but in this room he had no need for tantrum and emotional outbursts. In this room even a first year could harm or kill somebody on accident. "Now any of you that feel you can not handle this get out now. I will have no tolerance for any disruptions in my room is that understood." They all nodded at him afraid to speak.

Snape wormed into each of there stations as they started working on the potion he had left on the board. He knew that for the other classes his style of teaching would not work. Yet here they should not be bothered by him screaming out directions and the steps. If they were going to have even a meager chance at being professionals at this art they would have to learn how to be quiet. Some ingredients and potions they would be working on in the years to come were sound sensitive. So this practice at being subtle would help them rather than hinder them in the future.

As he wander he noticed that some of the students were becoming less focused. "Weasley." He waited for the red headed boy to give him his attention. "Mr. Weasley could you happen to spare a moment of your time with us for the moment?" He could tell by the way the rest of the class acted that the venom in his voice had carried the way he had wanted. While he did not want to be overly harsh on the boy after the incident over the Summer involving his Oldest brother and sister he would not have him using that a crutch to get by in his class.

"Yes sir."

"Good for a minute there I thought you and Mister Finnigan could spare a moment of your time you could tell me the name of a potion that you would use Jobberknoll feathers in?" He waited for a response from ether one of them before asking another question. " How about a potion that requires salamander's blood? Neither one of you has answer yet how about where would you find a bezoar? As I can see that you both have no clue than just maybe you should pay attention in this class or I shall remove you for the rest of your stay at this school. That will be twenty points from Gryffindor for endangering your classmates." Snape brushed off the glares he was receiving from the two first year lions.

"Now can any one in this class tell me the answers to my questions." He looked around and saw three students looking slightly sure. "Ms. Granger give me one answer."

"Jobberknoll feathers are used in Veritaserum Professor." Snape looked at the young woman in his class impressed. Even most NEWT students didn't know that answer. Maybe his adopted nephew did know how to pick decent friends that wouldn't hold him back.

"Ms. Zabini can you answer one for me?"

"Salamander Blood is used for Strengthening Solution, Professor" Again Snape looked impressed. Maybe his house would have some potential after all.

"Mr. Evans, where can I find a bezoar?" Snape avoided eyes of his nephew.

" In a goat Sir." Snape held back the comment of praise for his nephew.

"Very good all of you. That will twenty points for Gryffindor and ten points to Slythern." he turned back toward his class. "Why are none of you writing that down. I want a foot long essay on the properties of porcupine quills for when we start our boil cure potion next class. "

He waited for the majority of the class to write the answers and homework down. "I want you all to turn a sample than clean up. Class dismissed."

As they all left and sat down the samples of the work for the day on his desk Snape found his mind wandering back towards Harry and the enigma that he had always been. He was impressed with the Ms. Granger he had begun a friendship with on the first day. As usual Harry's choices still left him wondering though. The idea that a Parkinson would be friends with a powerless student was unnerving. Snape knew Pansy's parents and if she had gone against the wishes of her family he feared for her safety. He let his thoughts wander just enough to lead no where as the next class came in.

_____________________________________________________________________________________





Barty held his wife's hand as she lay in the bed. He could hear the Healers running around trying to bring a form of chaos from the attack in Surrey not two hours before. For the most part he didn't care if the whole town had died. His wife lay in the bed twitching from the punishment she had received for not letting Malfoy in to see their Master. So he had taken her and tortured her for close to twenty hours using various methods. Barty himself had been tortured himself for refusing to place his wife under the Cruciatus curse.

He brushed of his own injuries and tried to follow Bellatrix's sporadic breathing pattern. She had minor gashes all along her body. He had not seen their Master so angry since the that Halloween when he had only found James Potter and not his child or wife. That Barty wandered was the day his Master started his decent in to a deeper madness than before. If he had not been sure that the boy was the child of prophesy before hand he was now. All he could think about was the boy and what could be his eventual down fall if he was trained properly. They had stopped most of there activates against the ministry in search of the child. And after ten years of failure he had shown up almost on their very doorstep gift wrapped and young.

Draco Malfoy had granted himself a great honor by naming the child to them. He would rise quickly in the ranks his he continued the path that was before them. He stopped thinking of the future when his wife twitched bring his attention only to her. Bella had made him so proud by never screaming through the whole ordeal that she was placed under, but after such a long ordeal he was not sure that she would be okay for many months after such brutality. He watched their Master torture one of his strongest supporters of following his orders.

All this was for a boy named Harry. A mere child that somebody who claimed to be the strongest Wizard of the time feared. He would not allow the child or his wife ever be brought into harms way if he could. There would be away that could save them all form the stupidity that many like himself had caused in their youth. They followed him for his ideals and watched as he broke each and every promise he had ever made. The muggles were still here. The muggleborn still arrived to the castle every years. While he no longer held the ideals of his youth or the hatred Barty could not help, but notice that nothing was the way it was promised to be. And the devastation continued all for a man who felt it was his life's calling to kill a child not even a third of his age. He would not let it stand any more.

Barty grasped her hand even tighter. "Don't worry Luv. When you wake up, I'm going to try and fix things. I don't care if I even have to die to protect you. I have a meeting with Father in a hour and I plan on telling him everything I can to kill the bastard that put you through this. I don't know what he is going to say, but I promise that you will never have to undergo such pains again. Voldemort will learn that nobody touches my Wife and lives to tell about it."





End note: Here is chapter five. I hope everyone enjoyed the different views of the chapter. Leave your thoughts for me to see if you like if not just happy you took the time to read it. Next chapter we head beck to the land of Harry and his friends. Later everyone.

Sign up to rate and review this story