Categories > Anime/Manga > Pokemon > The Mewtwo File

Chapter Twenty - Where The Heart Is

by AlisonVen 0 reviews

The title is self-explanatory, I think!

Category: Pokemon - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Mewtwo - Published: 2008-05-18 - Updated: 2008-05-18 - 3699 words - Complete

0Unrated

Chapter summary: The title is self-explanatory, I think!

Chapter Twenty – Where the Heart Is

The boat was one of the numerous research vessels bobbing at anchor at Raikatuji wharf. It was small and slow, but what made it invaluable for their purpose was that the fuel tank was full. And it was still early enough in the day that there was nobody about to see the boat leave. It would have been unbelievable in any case: the anchor was pulled up apparently of its own volition and the engine started by an invisible pilot before it pulled carefully away from the other boats.

They had gotten well clear of the wharf when they saw the first police cars arriving at Raikatuji Centre. For safety’s sake the pair remained invisible until the mainland receded and grew hazy with distance. Only when they were far enough away not to be seen did Mewtwo and Montaro flicker back into visibility.

Montaro was staring at his father’s side. Mewtwo followed his gaze. The laser had left a nasty burn, scorching away fur and blackening skin. Blisters were beginning to form but at least the wound had cauterized the skin as it went. Mewtwo grimaced; if he’d been just a fraction slower, the laser would have caught him full in the stomach. He’d seen what that could do to a body: Sakaki’s chest had been reduced to a smoking crater. Mewtwo sank to sit on his haunches on the deck, his legs shaking as the morning’s events threatened to overwhelm him.

“I know you wanted me to go back to Shima, Dad,” Montaro said quietly. “But I was worried about you, and I knew Mieko would get them all home safe. I just couldn’t let you go in without any sort of backup, at least while you’re – not as strong as usual. So I stayed. Upwind of your nose!” And he grinned briefly before his expression settled back into grim lines. “I was levitating outside the window when I saw you fighting that thing. When it hit you with the laser I panicked. I just thought, if I could get to the human controlling it, it might stop attacking you. I’m sorry I disobeyed you, but I’m not sorry I stayed.” He lifted his chin stubbornly.

Mewtwo shook his head. “You saved my life, my son. I’m very grateful you decided to stay.” He examined the burn gently, and hissed a sharp indrawn breath as his fingers touched the edges of the blistered skin. “It will heal, but it’s sore.”

“There might be a first-aid kit somewhere on board,” Montaro said. “I’ll go and see what I can find.”

He entered the tiny cabin and began opening cupboards and drawers. After a moment he made a pleased sound. “Here you go,” he announced, bringing out a plastic container with the familiar red cross marked on a white background, handing it to his father. “And there are tins of food in the other cupboards.” He set about preparing breakfast on the single gas ring that served as a stove while Mewtwo tended to his wound, smoothing on antibiotic cream and taping a bandage securely over the area.

As the small boat chugged steadily southwards, they shared a meal of reconstituted shoyu raman and tinned soy protein. Montaro turned his nose up at the rubbery strips of fake chicken and concentrated instead on the noodles, but Mewtwo ate as much of everything as his shrunken stomach could hold, barely tasting it in his eagerness. And as he ate, the distressing greyness around the edges of his vision eased, his limbs ceased trembling, and his thoughts began to flow smoothly once more.

Already the events in the Raikatuji Building were taking on the slightly impossible cast of a nightmare. But one fact stood out from the rest: Sakaki’s death hurt. Mewtwo had truly loved the man he’d thought of as his brother for too long not to feel pain at his loss. But at the same time, there was a sense that it was the only possible resolution in the circumstances. It was rather like the laser slash across his flank: a dull ache, but one that would heal as time went by.

The mainland had disappeared over the horizon and they were all alone in the wide blue expanse of ocean and sky when Mewtwo stopped the engine.

“We should both sleep,” he said, in answer to his son’s puzzled look. “I’m worn down to my whiskers. Shima will still be there when we wake up.”

Gratefully, Montaro joined his father in the shade of a tarpaulin stretched over the front of the small boat’s nose. They curled up into identical balls of lilac fur, noses on front paws, and slept.

*

The moon had risen when they approached Shima. Mewtwo and Montaro had slept late into the afternoon, finally waking as the bottom of the sun’s disk kissed the horizon, and the small boat had taken another five hours to get them home, due to its slow pace and the distance the boat had drifted while they’d slept.

When they got close to the beach, Mewtwo throttled back and turned in a wide arc so that the boat faced northwards again.

“What are you doing?” Montaro asked with interest.

“I don’t want the boat found on our island. It could make for some embarrassing questions. But if it’s found drifting in the open ocean, it’ll just look as if the last person to use it didn’t secure it properly when they got back to shore. Nobody needs to know it didn’t just drift away from the wharf.”

Mewtwo drew a deep breath. The rest and food had been restorative. Steeling himself for pain, he reached out with telekinesis, and was pleased to feel only a dull, easily ignored twinge as he opened the throttle fully. Reassured that he wouldn’t be crippled in his major psychic power, he went to the side. “Feel like a swim?”

He dived cleanly into the water, followed a second later by Montaro.

The water was still warm from the day’s heat. Father and son surfaced and made for the shore with long, easy strokes as the little boat chugged patiently off into the distance.
*

They could see lights on in the downstairs rooms as they approached the house, but Mewtwo was more interested in searching the area for other lights. He scanned and recognized all of the psychic signatures present: Yutaka, Kagami, Benjiro, and Mieko in the downstairs lounge room, the sleeping lights that were Hideaki and Hanako upstairs, and, oh yes! Aiko’s living blue light, up in their bedroom! It was all he could do to keep from breaking into a run to cover the last few metres between them.

Mewtwo and Montaro entered the house through the back door into the kitchen and went on through to the lounge room. The family tableau held for a moment as they came through the door: Yutaka and Kagami were sitting at each end of the larger lounge, separated by the sleeping ball of fur that was Benji, and Mieko was curled in the armchair next to them, her chin resting on one hand. Mewtwo felt a surge of love at the sight of them, all quietly keeping a vigil for their return.

The tableau broke as soon as the family caught sight of the pair, however. Mieko’s head swung up first, and her eyes widened in delight.

“Dad!” she cried, leaping to her feet. “Montaro!”

And she was across the room and hugging both of them. Yutaka and Kagami were a little slower, but their faces, too, were wreathed in smiles of relief as they joined the family reunion.

“We contacted the police first thing this morning,” Yutaka informed Mewtwo, as the group hug broke apart. “Just as soon as Aiko and the kittens arrived.”

“The first we knew that you’d gone was when Hideaki came charging into our bedroom in the small hours, saying something about rescuing Aiko and that you and Montaro had stayed on the mainland,” Kagami said.

“I filled them in properly,” Mieko told her father, “once they came over to the house. I’m sorry we startled you, Grandma,” she added.

Kagami shook her head. “We had the miracle of our daughter back, alive and well. You have nothing to apologize for, Mieko-chan.”

“What did the police say?” Montaro asked eagerly. “Dad and I saw them arriving just as we left Raikatuji wharf, but we stayed invisible and didn’t hang around!”

His grandparents stared at the youngster.

“You were there?” Yutaka met Mewtwo’s gaze. “Then you know that…?”

“Sakaki’s dead, yes,” Mewtwo answered. “I wanted to talk to him, just talk, Yutaka. I needed to understand his reason for abducting Aiko. But he had a – a new fighting machine. He tried to kill me with it.” He glanced at his son. “He would have managed it, too, but for Montaro. And during the fight, Sakaki was accidentally shot by his robot. There was no purpose to be served by us staying, after that.”

There was silence for a moment, then Mewtwo asked, “Did the police ask to talk to me?”

Yutaka looked uncomfortable. “No. They only wanted to speak to Kagami and I. And Aiko, of course.”

“They were very interested in how Aiko managed to contact you,” Kagami said. “We told them about the old tests she’d done as a child showing she had some psychic talent. They accepted that she managed to contact you telepathically. But they seemed to believe that it was at her direction that you and the children rescued her.”

“They seemed incapable of grasping the notion that a pokemon could not only come up with such a plan, but implement it,” Yutaka added. “I’m sorry, Mewtwo, they didn’t even inquire if you were on the island. And since I wasn’t sure what you and Montaro were up to on the mainland, I didn’t enlighten them.”

“Ah. Well, in this case, it’s probably a good thing. Let them go on thinking that I’m just her pet.” Mewtwo’s expression hadn’t changed, but Yutaka felt he could sense a touch of chagrin in his son-in-law’s voice. Yet again, he’d been undervalued and underestimated as an individual by humans.

“The news reports are all saying that Raikatuji-sama was killed in an accident with an experimental project,” Mieko spoke to break the uncomfortable silence. “Some of the people interviewed were speculating that he may have committed suicide.”

Montaro shook his head. “No, we saw what happened. And Dad saved my life, just as much as I did his. That – that robot thing – it was lethal.”

“Poor Koneko,” Mewtwo said. “She was carrying out her master’s orders.”

“The police told us that nurse we saw with Mum has been found. She was still where we left her, the sedative kept her from moving,” Mieko said. “She’s going to be charged with – with – what was it again, Grandpa?”

“‘Unlawful imprisonment, reckless endangerment to human life, and aiding and abetting in a criminal act’,” Yutaka answered. “The reckless endangerment part was because the sedative they used on Aiko was new, designed for use on pokemons, and unapproved by authorities. And at the amounts they used, and untested on humans besides, they could have killed her.”

Mewtwo looked at Yutaka, his forehead creased with worry. “She is going to be all right, isn’t she?”

“I spoke to the police doctor who examined her after she got back. The drug may take some time to get out of her system completely, and she’ll probably experience some side-effects as well, giddiness, maybe some nausea. But he seemed positive that she’ll make a full recovery.”

Mewtwo hadn’t sat with the others. Now he turned for the door. “If you’ll all excuse me, I’m going upstairs to see her.”

Yutaka nodded gravely and turned to his wife. “Well, we’d better get home. Benjiro can stay with us again tonight, Mewtwo, until he gets used to having the family all together again.”

Mieko also stood, and used her telekinesis to levitate Benjiro up into his grandfather’s arms without waking the toddler. The family walked their grandparents to the door and waved them goodnight.

Mieko yawned widely as she shut the front door. “I’m going to bed,” she announced. “G’night, Dad.”

Taking Montaro’s hand, the pair went upstairs. Mewtwo followed more slowly. He had no words to describe how proud he was of his children and of the way they had risen to the challenge of the previous twenty-four hours. Particularly his two eldest. They had proved themselves to be adults in the best sense of the word. He sent a quiet“well done” direct to their minds. Both teens turned and gave him a quick smile before they disappeared into their bedroom.
*

Aiko was dozing when the sound of voices downstairs woke her. She couldn’t pick up individual words, but could clearly identify Mewtwo’s deep rumble and the higher adolescent tone of Montaro. Relief at their return washed over her.

She struggled to a sitting position against the pillows. She was regaining the use of her body slowly, and had managed to walk as far as the ensuite bathroom without assistance earlier that afternoon. She’d run a bath and scrubbed herself raw with the sponge, trying to wash all traces of Sakaki out of her body.

The door opened and Mewtwo entered the room, his body silhouetted in silver from the beams of the full moon flooding in through the open window. Aiko’s breath caught in her throat at the sight of him. He was alive, he was safe!

His eyes met hers and the anxious expression on his face faded to intense relief, as if he hadn’t believed until that moment that she was really there. He made a small sound in the back of his throat, a soft glad growl.

They had no need for words; she held her arms out to him. Mewtwo was across the room in an instant, his arms about her and his head against the curve of her neck, trying to tuck himself as close as possible while she stroked his silky fur. The sound of his purring was loud in the quiet room.

“I wish I was smaller,” Mewtwo said telepathically, as if he didn’t trust his voice. “I want to crawl into your lap!”

Aiko slipped down to lie on her side, her arms still about him. “This will have to do instead.”

They held each other, simply experiencing the quiet joy of being together again. Aiko felt Mewtwo’s emotions washing over her, and relaxed into the experience, relishing it. She hadn’t known how much she’d missed their unique feeling of connectedness until this moment, and now she felt like a starving woman suddenly presented with a banquet.

Aiko stroked a hand down his side lovingly, letting the velvety softness of the fur tickle her palm, but then froze as she felt Mewtwo flinch. He was injured?

“Are you hurt, my Mew?”

Mewtwo snuggled closer. “A laser scorched me.” His voice was muffled against her shoulder. “It’ll heal.” He took her hand and laid it directly over the burn. “Feel it. It’s not bad.”

Through her palm, Aiko felt the dull ache superimposed onto her own body.

“Sakaki wasn’t pleased to see me,” Mewtwo added.

Aiko’s arms tightened about him. “Sakaki shot you with a laser?”

She felt Mewtwo grimace against her neck. “That’s not exactly what happened.” He gave her the details. “I never suspected he hated me so much,” he said at last. “It should never have come to this. Maybe I should have made more of an effort to contact him after we left. Maybe, if I hadn’t let so many years go without a second thought, if only I’d kept in touch with him, perhaps this could have been avoided …”

“No. This is not your fault, my Mew. None of it. Sakaki is wholly to blame. I – I can’t say I’m glad he’s dead. But I’ll admit, I’m relieved.”

Mewtwo lifted his head from her shoulder. His blue eyes gazed at her with concern, the pupils rounded and human-looking in the moonlight. “You’re all right? Really all right?”

“Yes. I’ll live. I even managed to walk to the bathroom by myself this afternoon.” And had a long, long bath, she thought to herself.

Mewtwo stroked her hair tenderly, still cuddled close. He felt so good, so right, beside her again…

With some trepidation Aiko felt the first teasing hint of desire, the echo, she knew from experience, of what her mate was feeling. She closed her eyes for a moment, fearful that the previous night would have turned her off sex. But as she inhaled the comforting scent of cinnamon and felt the the soft silky fur next to her skin she began to relax. This was familiar and non-threatening, she was secure and safe in her mate’s arms and the nightmare of the past week was finally over.

Mewtwo’s breath was warm; it tickled slightly against her neck as waves of love rolled from him. The desire kicked up a notch as he pressed his warm body closer, and Aiko felt her pulse begin to quicken in response.

This was nothing like the squalid business of the previous night, no roughly unzipped trousers and painful, unready penetration. This was gentle and loving, and Aiko wanted nothing more than to stop thinking about what Sakaki had done to her and relax into her mate’s embrace, letting him soothe the emotional and physical bruises that had been left. She sighed as his warm tongue began to caress her neck, so much more arousing than any kiss could ever be …

But no. She couldn’t do this, not without telling Mewtwo what had happened first. She wasn’t about to lie by omission, not when it concerned something of this magnitude. Regretfully, she opened her eyes.

“Mewtwo? Please, stop for a moment, my love. I need to tell you something.”

Mewtwo pulled back a little, his arms still about her. “It’s all right,” he murmured, stroking her hair. “After what you’ve been through, I understand that you don’t feel like making love yet. I’m just so happy to have you back with me again. It’s like a miracle, a dream come true that you’re alive. My body wants to be convinced that you’re really here.”

“It’s not that,” Aiko answered slowly, dreading what she must say. “My Mew, last night, Sakaki – Sakaki raped me. Um, that means – ”

Mewtwo placed one finger gently against her lips. “Shh. I understand the word. And I already know.”

“You do? How?” Then her expression cleared as understanding dawned. “Oh. Your sense of smell?”

Aiko felt her cheeks flame as Mewtwo nodded. She knew how sensitive his cat’s sense was; he could always tell who had been in a room hours after the fact just by the odour trail left hanging in the air. So he must have scented Sakaki all over her as soon as he saw her last night. The sharp acrid tang of semen must have been obvious to him right away…

She looked down, unable to meet Mewtwo’s eyes, but it was as if he’d read her mind. His voice was a gentle rumble against her ear. “I scented your fear and disgust at being forced. The pheromones hung in the air, faintly, but enough for me to read them.”

Aiko felt tears threaten, and buried her head against the soft fur of Mewtwo’s chest. “I couldn’t stop him,” she whispered.

She felt Mewtwo’s arms tighten about her, holding her protectively. “He can never hurt you again,” he said quietly. “And I won’t risk your life from now on. Tomorrow, I’m going to hire a security firm from the mainland. I don’t want anybody landing on our island, not without knowing who they are and why they’re here. I never took groups like HAGEO seriously before; now I feel like a fool for ignoring the danger. Sakaki’s actions were a warning of how vulnerable we are.” He gazed into her eyes, and she could see that they were swimming with unshed tears. “I can’t lose you again, my Aiko. I can’t. I don’t have the strength to bear it. ”

They were silent for a moment. Aiko knew he was right; how easily she’d been captured, how trusting she’d been! They’d been living in paradise, one which had been brutally shattered by one man and his delusions. An efficient security system was the only solution. But at the same time, she felt a pang for the sense of innocence lost.

She gazed up into his face. “Please, make love to me, my Mew.”

Mewtwo looked at her in surprise. “Are you sure you want to?” he asked hesitantly.

Aiko nodded. “I need to feel safe again. I want you. I need you.”

And as Mewtwo nestled his head against her shoulder again and began licking her neck in long, luxurious strokes, she whispered, “Bite me, my Mew, bite me like you did the first time we made love. Mark me and make me your mate once more.”

Aiko felt the sudden sharp feeling of his teeth sinking into her neck. Once more the sensation rode the bare edge between pain and pleasure, and she welcomed it. She arched her body against him, wanting him to wipe out Sakaki’s claim on her body.

“Mine… ” His telepathic voice rang inside her mind.

“I’m yours,” she murmured. “Forever.”
Sign up to rate and review this story